• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ah shit, Yellowstone classified as 'high eruption threat' ... get ready for death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood

Banned
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (May 9) - The Yellowstone caldera has been classified a high threat for volcanic eruption, according to a report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Yellowstone ranks 21st most dangerous of the 169 volcano centers in the United States, according to the Geological Survey's first-ever comprehensive review of the nation's volcanoes.

Kilauea in Hawaii received the highest overall threat score followed by Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainer in Washington, Mount Hood in Oregon and Mount Shasta in California.

Kilauea has been erupting since 1983. Mount St. Helens, which erupted catastrophically in 1980, began venting again in 2004.

Those volcanoes fall within the very high threat group, which includes 18 systems. Yellowstone is classified with 36 others as high threat.

Recurring earthquake swarms, swelling and falling ground, and changes in hydrothermal features are cited in the report as evidence of unrest at Yellowstone.

The report calls for better monitoring of the 55 volcanoes in the very high and high threat categories to track seismic activity, ground bulging, gas emissions and hydrologic changes.

University of Utah geology professor Robert Smith, who monitors earthquakes and volcanic activity in Yellowstone, said more real-time monitoring should be helpful.

''We've really been stressing over the last couple of years that the USGS should consider hazards as a very high priority in their future,'' he said. ''We need to get the public's confidence and the perception that we're doing it right.''

The university has joined the Geological Survey and Yellowstone National Park in creating the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, which uses ground-based instruments throughout the region and satellite data to monitor volcanic and earthquake unrest in the world's first national park.

The USGS report recognizes Yellowstone as an unusual hazard because of the millions of people who visit the park and walk amid features created by North America's largest volcanic system, Smith said, a status he has been advocating for years.

Smith does not paint the devastating picture portrayed in a recent TV docudrama but said smaller threats exist. For example, a lower-scale hydrothermal blast could scald tourists strolling along boardwalks.

Emissions of toxic gases from the park's geothermal features also pose a threat. Five bison dropped dead last year after inhaling poisonous gases trapped near the ground due to cold, calm weather near Norris Geyser Basin.

Stepped up monitoring and a new 24-hour watch office could lead to more timely warnings and help avoid human catastrophes at Yellowstone and nationally, according to the USGS.

Forty-five eruptions, including 15 cases of notable volcanic unrest, have been documented at 33 volcanoes in the U.S. since 1980, according to the report, released April 29.

For those who don't know what it means if Yellowstone goes, here's an excerpt of another article:

"The impact of a Yellowstone eruption is terrifying to comprehend." says Professor McGuire. "Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years."

The long-term effects would be even more devastating. The thousands of cubic kilometres of ash that would shoot into the atmosphere would block out light from the sun, making global temperatures collapse. This is called a nuclear winter. A large percentage of the world's plant life would be killed by the ash and the drop in temperature. The resulting change in the world's climate would devastate the planet, and scientists know that another eruption is due - they just don't know when.

Michael Rampino, a geologist at New York University, quoted in a BBC Horizon documentary on Supervolcanoes [7] three years ago explained: "It's difficult to conceive of an eruption this big. It's really not a question of if it'll go off, it's a question of when, because sooner or later one of these large super eruptions will happen."

Professor McGuire says "There's nowhere to hide from the effects of a supervolcano. One day - perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in fifty years, perhaps in 10,000 - it will erupt; once again wreaking devastation across the North American continent and bringing the bitter cold of Volcanic Winter to Planet Earth. Mankind may become extinct."

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here's a visual of how far the ash could spread if that thing blows:
fs2005-3024_fig_12.jpg

calder

Hmm, going by the northernmost edge of that map I should be fine. Brandon's fucked though.

Which is the projected fallout? Are some of those historic ones?

rs7k

calder said:
Hmm, going by the northernmost edge of that map I should be fine. Brandon's fucked though.

Which is the projected fallout? Are some of those historic ones?

You will not be fine if that shit erupts. None of us will be :(

Hollywood

Banned
themadcowtipper said:
Sweet I'm Safe..looks like a lot more ladies for me, and the GAF should not be as slow.

Enjoy the few months you have left freezing under a nuclear winter with lungs so black it would make the Marboro Man look like a marathon runner. :lol

sp0rsk said:
tennessee is such a perfect location

Or Tennesseenorthcarolina, as the map would have you believe. :lol

Love the one-sentence-per-paragraph style. It's good to see journalism departments putting out graduates skilled in easy-to-follow writing.

But what really took the cake was one guy giving a measured "Oh, it could spell trouble for the millions of visitors a year" to the other guy going "OMGWTF TEH BOOM-BOOM! SIBERIAN TRAPS 2: ELECTRIC BUGALOO!!!!111". That's going to take a fuckton of magma to make the once every 65 million years doomsday you're jawing about, bud.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ancestor_of_Erdrick said:
I live in Memphis! :D I can just bust out a lawn chair and watch.

Oh Arkansas... :lol

my parents live in memphis, im in knoxville for college actually.

Johnas

sp0rsk said:
my parents live in memphis, im in knoxville for college actually.

UT perhaps? I went to University of Memphis. I guess I'm supposed to give you the finger or something. :lol

A lot of people from my area (I actually live in Collierville, right outside of Memphis) go to UT Knoxville. That is a huge freaking school I hear, I've never been there though. Do you live in Memphis when not at school?

Socreges

Banned
Professor McGuire says "There's nowhere to hide from the effects of a supervolcano. One day - perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in fifty years, perhaps in 10,000 - it will erupt; once again wreaking devastation across the North American continent and bringing the bitter cold of Volcanic Winter to Planet Earth. Mankind may become extinct."
I don't understand. Why would the eastern hemisphere be so affected? I mean, besides the collapse of the US economy, etc

So wait.... Yellowstone is a "supervolcano". Its eruption would be so catastrophic that it would even threaten our existence. But when's the last time any volcano has caused anything remotely similar? Why does it seem possibly imminent now? Why the fuck is our generation facing about a dozen different scenarios that seem so likely to destroy us!! *regresses into apathy*, *continues playing videogames*

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Whew, I live just outside the twin cities.

Looks like I'm juuuust out of range. :D

*dances*

SatelliteOfLove said:
But what really took the cake was one guy giving a measured "Oh, it could spell trouble for the millions of visitors a year" to the other guy going "OMGWTF TEH BOOM-BOOM! SIBERIAN TRAPS 2: ELECTRIC BUGALOO!!!!111". That's going to take a fuckton of magma to make the once every 65 million years doomsday you're jawing about, bud.
:lol

Atrex

i dont know much about the specifics of valcanos, as i am of course no geologist or volcanologist but why cant they drill some huge fucking holes to allow gases and fluid to seep out and relieve some pressure to lessen the potential explosion? or would it just pop its top if such measures were taken..I dont want to be killed by a fucking volcano.

MoccaJava

Banned
i dont know much about the specifics of valcanos, as i am of course no geologist or volcanologist but why cant they drill some huge fucking holes to allow gases and fluid to seep out and relieve some pressure to lessen the potential explosion?

Could we get an answer to this?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I saw that movie on the Discovery HD channel last night. It was actually a movie that was pretty scary.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Atrex said:
i dont know much about the specifics of valcanos, as i am of course no geologist or volcanologist but why cant they drill some huge fucking holes to allow gases and fluid to seep out and relieve some pressure to lessen the potential explosion? or would it just pop its top if such measures were taken..I dont want to be killed by a fucking volcano.
core_movie.jpg

Hollywood said:
Kilauea in Hawaii received the highest overall threat score followed by Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainer in Washington, Mount Hood in Oregon and Mount Shasta in California.
I just noticed that the #2 and #4 volcanoes are within 2-3 hours of me, #3 is within a days drive, and #5 isn't that much further. shit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The article seems to be talking about positioning Yellowstone for close monitoring, not the prediction of an actual eruption.
Smith does not paint the devastating picture portrayed in a recent TV docudrama but said smaller threats exist.
Heh, anyway, as anyone who grew up in Washington and paid attention in school can tell you, the map Manabyte posted in this thread is misleading, although not blatantly wrong like the map he posted in an earlier yellowstone thread which put St. Helen's ash fall as only 100 miles away. I suppose it does depend on where you draw the line, as the effects of St. Helen's stretched all the way to the Great Lakes and its ash plume was over Colorado 16 hours after the start of the eruption. Hell, matter from Krakatau circled the globe but obviously altered sunsets aren't the same as being choked with ash.

AntoneM

you guys are blowing this way out of proportion, as far as geologist are concerned the types of eruptions that can spell doom and gloom for us have only happened 2-3 times in Yellowstone and only a few dozen times for that particular hotspot as a whole (we're talking something like 1 billion years). A vast majority of the time the eruption will be less violent than Mt. St. Helens.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Smiles and Cries said:
all the hurricanes I went through last summer, no

Connecticut now thats hot :D
And yet, we in Ft. Lauderdale remain practically untouched. You just have to believe!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
and lets all remember how incredibly painful death by burning in liquid magma would likely be! I mean, there would be the standing in it, followed by the melting of your feet, followed by the falling down and the thrashing around, followed the the body relaxing and sinking into the burning hot goooo.

And let's also not forget, that if you believe that a woman has the choice of terminating an unwanted pregnancy, that his is the experience you have to look forward to for the rest of eternity!!!!!

AntoneM

MoccaJava said:
Isn't the whole point that any eruption unleashes a lake of magma?

yeah, but that doesn't mean an extremely violent eruption, look at the currently active volcanos, when they erupt they don't necessarily blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom