• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone takes a "Deep Breath" Super Volcano

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/27/am.kaku.volcano.cnn?hpt=C2

Yellowstone National Park is sitting on top of a supervolcano and scientists say that it just took a "deep breath."

where did CNN get this guy :lol

oh well 2012 whatever...

UPDATE: adding map for Canadians who think they are safe
yellowstone-volcano.gif

UFRA

Koodo said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2nhfc3o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/bmwusa03/01laugh.gif

Ok this cracked me up. I opened the thread after reading the title and saw your pic, but only the "holy shit" part. Then I scrolled down and read the rest of it and sealed the deal.

BobDylan

smurfx said:
if yellowstone blows it means the end of the united states.

yuuuuuup. I remember one time my geology teacher was talking about yellowstone and just said she didnt even wanna think about it. pretty much we are fucked if it starts erupting

Jenga

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
I went to high school with his daughter. I always hoped he would come by sometime (I was reading Hyperspace at the time), but it never happened.
was she hot?

MetalAlien

Banned
A few days ago I had a dream that I saw the earth open up and what looked like an explosion that didn't seem to want to end, it threw up a huge cloud that appeared to go up to the edge of space. I was telling my friend at work it kinda looked like when the Yellowstone volcano went off in that movie 2012.

threenote

Banned
BobDylan said:
yuuuuuup. I remember one time my geology teacher was talking about yellowstone and just said she didnt even wanna think about it. pretty much we are fucked if it starts erupting
j4ZD0.gif

No eruption is going to happen anytime soon. Chill, people.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
yeah, America is pretty much fucked when this goes off.

threenote said:
No eruption is going to happen anytime soon. Chill, people.
you really can't make that prediction, just like no one can say that it will happen tomorrow.

LQX

I wonder if its possible bomb or nuke a volcano into submission kind of like how they trigger snow avalanches with small explosions.

threenote

Banned
Scrow said:
yeah, America is pretty much fucked when this goes off.

you really can't make that prediction, just like no one can say that it will happen tomorrow.
I can't make that prediction, but geologists can--and they already have.

antonz

Yep Michio is a wll respected guy. Had a few lectures by him during my Physics classes. Guy is great for being able to present mind bending stuff in non mind bending ways.

I did read about this a few days ago it is interesting because the Super Volcano is due. The good news is if it does happen North American wont have to worry for long. The rest of the world would be in for it alot worse.

This is a fun fact
The crater atop Mount St. Helens is about 2 square miles. The Yellowstone "caldera" — a depression in the Earth equivalent to a crater top — is some 1,500 square miles.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kalnos said:
It would probably fuck up Canada too, since it would most likely block sunlight.

It's going to block the sun everywhere dude

The amount of ash it's going to vault in the sky will cause a global nuclear winter

Damage directly from the eruption will be US mainly most likely but that winter.... Ice age starter most likely

Zabka

Well there's only one thing left to do. We have to destroy it before it destroys us!

We have to assemble a crack team of hardnecks, roughnecks, rednecks and pencilnecks to do it.

Is there any way to let the pressure out a little bit at a time? Like slowly releasing a massive fart.

I don't claim to be a geologist.

Slavik81

In the case of volcanos, is the "we're due" thing just the gambler's fallacy, or does the likelyhood of a rare volcanic event increase over time?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
threenote said:
I can't make that prediction, but geologists can--and they already have.
funny that, since i heard/read other scientists say it's overdue and it could go off any day.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Zapages said:
this guy has appeared a lot on the History channel from what I can remember.

He's practically the unofficial mascot of The Science Channel and he's on pretty much every science-related show on the History Channel.

I would pay good money to see a cage match between him and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

UFRA

spiderman123 said:
when is this 2012 bs gonna end? If any 2012 ultimate disaster occurs I will cut my penis off and donate it to science.

That's not a very big deal. If you're right then you'll be around to say 'I told ya so' but if you're wrong you'll be dead so who cares about your penis anyways?

Nice try. You need to cut off your penis now in order to prove your dedication.

Koodo

Banned
Slavik81 said:
In the case of volcanos, is the "we're due" thing just the gambler's fallacy, or does the likelyhood of a rare volcanic event increase over time?
Don't volcanic eruptions happen because of a process instead of an event?

If it's the former, then I would assume the more time has passed, the likelier it is. I might also be completely bullshitting you of course.

slit

I don't why people think it would just be The U.S. that suffers, if the eruption was big enough it would create a cloud of debris that could sit in the Earth's atmosphere for years, blocking sunlight, meaning the globe's temperature would fall and food crops would be destroyed. More people would die from famine than the explosion itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom