• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone takes a "Deep Breath" Super Volcano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I love how some of the first responses in this thread are "well America maybe fucked but everywhere else has it much worse, so...suck it"

Anyway, curious question, say Scientists got wind of enough Data to predict an Eruption within a 2 week time span, say it would happen within the first 2 weeks of April this year, im not saying they could stop it obviously, but I have always been hugely curious as to what certain governments would do in Crises such as these. So who here thinks they know? From both an American viewpoint and an International one. Do you think Europe and China would go all deep impact and start building Caves, if they dont already exist :eek:

antonz

Mr Cola said:
I love how some of the first responses in this thread are "well America maybe fucked but everywhere else has it much worse, so...suck it"

Anyway, curious question, say Scientists got wind of enough Data to predict an Eruption within a 2 week time span, say it would happen within the first 2 weeks of April this year, im not saying they could stop it obviously, but I have always been hugely curious as to what certain governments would do in Crises such as these. So who here thinks they know? From both an American viewpoint and an International one. Do you think Europe and China would go all deep impact and start building Caves, if they dont already exist :eek:

I doubt governments would say anything. You would create a panic on a scale that cant even be comprehended.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
antonz said:
I doubt governments would say anything. You would create a panic on a scale that cant even be comprehended.

Well one has to think that they would try something to save some essence of Humanity surely, or maybe not, perhaps its the movie watcher in me but it seems a bit trite to think they would just say, "well, endgame, i hope the credits are good"

Smiles and Cries said:
UPDATE: adding map for Canadians who think they are safe

Damn. I'm in Calgary. Also, it's not ok that the largest nuclear stash of weapons in the world is also in Montana. And would fuck me up too if they exploded.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Guardian Bob said:
Damn. I'm in Calgary. Also, it's not ok that the largest nuclear stash of weapons in the world is also in Montana. And would fuck me up too if they exploded.
They would be like most everything in the pyroclastic flow.. entombed underneath rock for untold millenia until the next great human civilization pursues archeological exploits. And then they die in atomic fire. Beware the curse of the ancients! :lol

iceatcs

So far we didn't the "So long, and thanks for all the fish" message yet, so I think we are okay for while

NotWii

Banned
Mr Cola said:
From both an American viewpoint and an International one. Do you think Europe and China would go all deep impact and start building Caves, if they dont already exist :eek:
They already are

Russia is building underground cities to be completed before 2012
Then there's the norway seed vault, data bunker in the alps and others
They're expecting something

Mr Cola

Wii said:
They already are

Uk Planning anything? Id settle for a bomb shelter built in the 40s

Koodo

Banned
Wii said:
They already are

Oh you.

33dfbjp.jpg

ronito

Wii said:
They already are

And the masons are behind it!

iceatcs

Mr Cola said:
Uk Planning anything? Id settle for a bomb shelter built in the 40s
We have burlington bunker (underground city) and of course Underground Tube in London.
But postcode lottery only :(

East Lake

astroturfing said:
supervolcanos really are no joke. from what i've read, apparently tens/hundreds of thousands years ago a supervolcano erupted and wiped out the vast majority of humans on earth. not directly, but it spewed so much ash in the air that very little sunlight reached earth... mass excinctions followed and only the luckiest humans survived.
You're probably talking about Toba which was larger than any recorded Yellowstone eruption and the proposed mass extinctions are up for debate.

I've always been curious about what happens beyond Yellow Stone. Surely that much violent geological activity must have enormous repercussions for globe in terms of other volcanoes, the sea shelf, odd pockets of gas pressure under the surface, and so on.

Machine

This is the real reason nobody in government seems very concerned about Social Security running out of money.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Machine said:
This is the real reason nobody in government seems very concerned about Social Security running out of money.
I thought it was because they know they'll all be dead by then and their own families are going to be wealthy enough to take care of themselves, so who cares?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The media must have nothing better to talk about, err say actual non-analysis reporting on Egypt.
I remember hearing about this months ago when they discovered the movement of the surface.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Suikoguy said:
I remember hearing about this months ago when they discovered the movement of the surface.
That's the problem - on a geological scale, anything that happens even over a few millenia would be considered "fast." All the signs could be there and then something can happen either within the next day or the next 100,000 years and it would still all be on-schedule.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can only think of Yogi Bear when people talk about Yellow Stone.

So it's hard to grasp the impact of this Doomsday scenario.

Wii said:
They already are

Well Mulder just found out he is the Smoking Mans son and is taking Scully to the Native American mountains to hide out feom the alien invasion. The site will allow him to keep in contact with John Connor and Neo.

I've always wondered why more research into how to relieve geothermal pressure from volcanoes isn't conducted. Surely if we built a big enough geothermal energy plant over Yellowstone we could power the entire country and forestall disaster at the same time.

quickwhips

My first thoughts were 60 millions years ago. Please earth isnt that old. This guys is full of crap. Then he says something about dinosaurs we know those didn't exist either.

Then I thought well maybe this might fix some of the problems in America. But it will miss to many southern states. New pictues make me change my mind. Bring on super valcano.

LegendofJoe said:
I've always wondered why more research into how to relieve geothermal pressure from volcanoes isn't conducted. Surely if we built a big enough geothermal energy plant over Yellowstone we could power the entire country and forestall disaster at the same time.

There's too much pressure and energy in a normal volcano for any current engineering to handle, let alone a supervolcano.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
that super volcano is home grown terrorism at its purest. fucking nuke it from orbit!

atomsk

Party Pooper
water_wendi said:
They would be like most everything in the pyroclastic flow.. entombed underneath rock for untold millenia until the next great human civilization pursues archeological exploits. And then they die in atomic fire. Beware the curse of the ancients! :lol

ACJyK.jpg

serfr

Neo Member
"OMG I finally won the lottery! Hey, what's that noise?"

Seriously, there's nothing we can do about it anyway, might as well enjoy our lives.

antonz

Mr. Wonderful said:
Would it really be so cold that our heating systems couldn't keep up?

The theories behind the idea of nuclear winter which is what this would basically be equal to predict within a month or two after the incident global temperatures could drop upto 22degrees celcius or 71 degrees fahrenheit. That would put Arizona at 0 for temperature at this time of the year with a nice High in the 30s or 40s for the middile of Summer.

antonz

ElectricBlue187 said:
It looks like a relatively unpopulated disaster zone from the map
Thats just the instant death Zone. Further out is the 3rd Degree burns to your entire body and die slowly then there is the freeze/starve to death zone.

Volcano Eruption in 1815 caused the Northern Hemisphere to have what they call the year without summer. It was only a small 10 degree drop but it devastated crops around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom