• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can choose only 1 animated film to recommend as a must-watch masterpiece. Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roi-et-loiseau-pochette-avant.jpg

I've actually been really, really curious about this.

And I have to second everyone saying Millennium Actress.

Beauty and the Beast. Not a wasted shot in that thing and every scene keeps the plot moving forward. Perfectly directed.

That was actually my second choice over The Lion King, but really, the Hans Zimmer, Lebo M, Elton John combo is really difficult to dismiss combined with the rest of the film.

Fjordson

Wow, that's really tough.

Spirited Away. Or a classic Disney movie maybe? Fantasia / Beauty and the Beast or something.

My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_(Movie_Poster).jpg

It's made with happiness and childhood memories... even if you didn't live in rural Japan.

Got to agree with this. It's just so lovely and warming and sweet and charming. It's a really nice film for people of all ages with no need for a conflict or a villain; just a cute little adventure with some kids and a friendly forest spirit. Spirited Away might be a better film in a lot of ways, but I like watching Totoro better and I love that I can watch it with my 4 year old daughter and give her a big cuddle after because we're both feeling a little happier having watched it.

[Jin-Roh]

If you like to cry this is the movie for you.

I watched this a while ago and i have to admit that, while it is a very well done movie with absurdly achieved animation, i really hated it. How naive of me to
expect anyone to be the good guy. Fuck every single person in that movie, especially the MC.

Lowenbrau

Neo Member
I have forced people to watch Howls Moving Castle. My first Ghibli experience and it stuck. But I agree Lion King is great, other ghiblis are great.

Oddly I found some of the Matrix animated shorts to be enjoyable, maybe even profound. I dunno really liked them.

lupinko

Already mentioned but Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Or When Marnie Was There, but only JapanGAF has seen that since the rest is still waiting for Kaguyahime.

God dammit OP just one?! So hard. Well I'm gonna be a rebel and split between Japanese and otherwise...

For Japanese...

Ghost in the Shell

ghost-in-the-shell.jpg

I saw this when I was like 12 and it blew my fucking mind apart. Years later as an adult it still manages to give me goosebumps in certain scenes, especially the montage sequences where Kusanagi is doing the dive, interspersed with scenes of people in the city. The vulnerability communicated in her body in that final battle is just remarkable, one of the best animated sequences ever.

For elsewhere...

Triplets of Belleville

Triplets_of_Belleville-Poster.jpg

The animation is sooo damn good, so fluid and beautiful. The character designs are wonderful, and the pacing superb. That old era animation style at the very beginning juxtaposed with the main style is sublime. One of the most enjoyable animated features from a narrative standpoint to boot. I think the Simpsons intro Sylvain Chomet (director of Belleville) was pretty genius too.

http://vimeo.com/96908790

Kettch

While I personally prefer Sword of the Stranger and Paradox Spiral, I'd probably recommend Totoro to a general audience before anything.

Oozer3993

Story wise:

The Little Mermaid

Great music and a focused, well paced story.

Visually:

Sleeping Beauty

The plot is very, let's say economical, but it is absolutely beautiful.

If you're in NA someone picked up the rights and I believe announced a BluRay version releasing in December.

Oh man thanks for the heads-up! Was gonna spring for the DVD but I'll definitely wait for the Bluray release. :)

Does this actually hold up well? I remember liking it in middle school, but I don't recall if it has anything to offer past the sex and violence.

God dammit OP just one?! So hard. Well I'm gonna be a rebel and split between Japanese and otherwise...

For Japanese...

Ghost in the Shell

ghost-in-the-shell.jpg

I saw this when I was like 12 and it blew my fucking mind apart. Years later as an adult it still manages to give me goosebumps in certain scenes, especially the montage sequences where Kusanagi is doing the dive, interspersed with scenes of people in the city. The vulnerability communicated in her body in that final battle is just remarkable, one of the best animated sequences ever.

For elsewhere...

Triplets of Belleville

Triplets_of_Belleville-Poster.jpg

The animation is sooo damn good, so fluid and beautiful. The character designs are wonderful, and the pacing superb. That old era animation style at the very beginning juxtaposed with the main style is sublime. One of the most enjoyable animated features from a narrative standpoint to boot. I think the Simpsons intro Sylvain Chomet (director of Belleville) was pretty genius too.

http://vimeo.com/96908790

I adore both of these choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom