• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can only choose one system to play for the rest of your life, which one?

Klotera

If you don't include PC (which seems unfair), then Wii U.

A) It has a small but very solid first party library, which includes Breath of the Wild.

B) You get most of the major classic Nintendo games with VC

C) This is just a bonus, because A and B would seal the deal, but you also get to play Wii games.

g0dofwar

Banned
As long as Sony is in the title i am fine. I can not turn my back on the people who brought me so many games, they deserve my money.

As long as Sony is in the title i am fine. I can not turn my back on the people who brought me so many games, they deserve my money.

Y'know, before this year, I'd have just assumed you were playing a character.

Now? I actually had to check your post history, to be sure.

gelf

PC is such as easy choice. Even if you disallow emulation there are a high number of console games that got ports anyway so I'd be fine for those too.

If we limit to console only I'd take a fully backwards compatible PS3 as again that's a nice big library of games to access.

PC is such a lame and stupid answer and everyone who said PC should feel stupid too. Congrats, you just made this entire thread meaningless and uninteresting...

You're supposed to choose one system and should be getting handicapped by its technology and the games during its life cycle. Otherwise, what's the point? So, if you choose PC, then you need to pick a period during a regular console's life cycle where you're stuck with the games and the technology available for PC during that period for life. But even that is dumb because then you can just say I choose the current PC so that you can play everything the past up to now. Otherwise, you might as well just say something like derp I choose Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

EDIT:
OG Xbox - So I can play Halo 1 & 2 forever.

TAS

SNES for me. That was the golden age of gaming IMO and that console had the best games in every category.

Not allowing emulation on PC, hm. I get why you would put that restriction in a certain way but on the other hand, it's a widespread and almost natural feature on the platform, so artifically omitting it makes thinking about the available gaming possibilities a bit weird. But hey, it's your thread and question so it's fine as a nice mind experiment.
But since we're doing extra rules, I think it would be fun to add similar restrictions to consoles as well. As in no Backwards Compatibility, PS1/PS2 Classics, 360 BC, Super Gameboy, Virtual Console etc. to get only the "true dedicated" game releases on each platform into consideration.

Either way, PC is the answer. It's a bit unfair since it had decades to fill its library over several console generations while console libraries get a cold start at zero with every new machine. The variety & preservation in genres and trends over the many years also helps a lot.
Omitting PC altogether, it's gonna be early PS3. Three generations of games and hacked it can also play PSP games – let alone emulation of older systems but that reopens another can of worms :p But even unhacked, pretty wild selection for one console.

Gulz1992

The obvious answer would be PC, but if that was not one of the options than I would probably pick PS1 since it contains my fondest memories of gaming.

PC because you can play huge lineup of games from the last 40+ years, with lots of gamepads, joysticks, mouses and wheels. Now even Forza (my favorite game saga along with Xwing) its in PC too.

So PC it´s the best platform in general.

If I had to pick another, It would be the Xbox 360, my favorite console.

DZ_b_EZ

ps1.png

because nothing else beats it........except the PC.....but I'll stick with this bad girl forever.

Should've rulled out PC completely, OP.

Here's reason why PC:
- Largest library of old games
- Plenty of ports from other platforms, down to even mobile games releasing on steam, if you suddenly crave that stuff... for some reason.
- Future proof. PS4 will be nothing but an old retro machine with retro games 20 years down the line, with nothing new being released on it. PC can just be continuously upgraded to keep up to date with gaming industry and play all the new stuff...

If pc counts then PC and emulate everything.
But if PC is a no go, PS4.

Not going to be the popular choice but I love it :) And I've played Halo 1 through reach enough to let them live as fond memories.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Even without emulation, PC has a library spanning decades and will continue to get games. It's the easy choice.

kaydigi

Trying to choose between PS4 and SNES. I would go PS4, since the snes sports library wasn't as good as the genesis.

Pc. It has the most complex games. Simple games are there too but console games don't even compare to the most complex pc ones. It's not even a contest. Even the most 'mature' is PS4 and X1 games are like babby's first game on the pc.

Everdred

This is only fair if you say that you can build a PC with top specs right now and never upgrade (it also never has hardware fail).

Dr.brain64

My pick goes to PS4. 2nd N64, 3rd Gamecube, 4th SNES, 5th PC since it's only for games.

PS4 has the best controller, best and smoothest UI, and the games are and play great.

PC.

Even if I can't upgrade it. I'd still want a controller for it though, doesn't really matter which one. I use a PS4 controller most of the time.

The sheer amount of games on Steam alone is staggering, and that's just a fraction of the full PC library. Most of my favorite games of all time are either on PC or have been ported.

Kieli

PC

Emulation is just the icing, native PC library dwarfs every other platform.

Not just native library, but the fact that it will be the only option that keeps expanding. All the other platforms are eventually going to be deprecated.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Does "no emulation allowed" include OG and 360 BC on XB1?

StereoVsn

If PC is out (even without emulation I would still take PC) then I would probably pick a PS2, PS3 or maybe PS4, not sure. So can we count PS1/PS2 classics on PS3 (or native PS2 BC)or PS2 games on PS4? Do VC games count?

If we are talking strictly console's native library (so ports/remasters are ok) then most likely still the same, PS2 or PS4 with PS4 most likely edging out PS2.

Cody_D165

Banned
I honestly love my Genesis to death and never tire of playing it so it'd have to be that.

Gamecube is a close second... so the Wii with BC would be my second choice.

Actually, if Virtual Console counts I'll just take the Wii. Ton of great Genesis titles on there.

Top Bottom