• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can only choose one system to play for the rest of your life, which one?

PC even without emulation. Has the largest selection of titles by faaaaaaaaar. Missing out on Bloodborne and Nintendo titles will suck but there's still plenty of great ARPGs and platformers that I won't shed too many tears.

JBwB

PC if we're allowed to upgrade it.

With hardware & software that can be upgraded as well as the guaranteed constant stream of new games (compared to the limited lifespan of consoles) it's really the only choice you have.

I mean... PC is the only sensible answer right? It will get new games pretty much forever.

Edit. You could apply similar logic to smart phones to.

DocSeuss

Even if I just kept my PC right now, assuming that it never broke, and never upgraded it, I'd have like 20-30,000 games to play. Are they all good? Nah. But that's true of any platform. PC wins by sheer library bulk and customization options. Xbox One Elite controller? heck yes, friendo

It's really not a question.

There is no game, even a game I couldn't emulate, and no collection of games that is worth more than the PC right now.

NahaNago

The PS1 since it has like 90% of my favorite games of all time.

edit: if backwards compatibility counts i would say ps2.

canedaddy

I'm going to pretend you didn't include PC.

Definitely PS3 with BC. PS2 has the best library ever by a mile, and adding PS1 and PS3 on that makes it a no-brainer.

Judging on hardware alone, the Switch, assuming it eventually gets a solid enough library. But if we're judging by current library, then the 3DS is my choice. Portability is a huge deal to me.

MoonFrog

Switch if it gets a good VC, otherwise Wii U.

Wii U can be modded to play GCN games. Plays Wii and Wii U games. Has VC through N64 (and GBA VC). It is the most comprehensive Nintendo platform.

It would suck giving up 3DS/DS with respect to Nintendo third party support though.

Second choice would be a PS3 with PSX/PS2 backwards compatibility.

Followed by 3DS.

Still PC, even without emulation. This is absolutely no contest.
Want a portable? Shield or GPDWin. Want a monster? Tower PC. Stream it though out the house with Steam Link.

Coda

Dreamcast hands down, I love just everything about that console.

Runner up would be Nintendo Switch but it needs more games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is this a trick question? PC and it's not even close lol.

KorrZ

Super easy choice for me: PC.

It gets the vast majority of AAA console games while having the most robust variety of games that can't be experienced anywhere else including genres that account for the vast majority of my gaming time (strategy games).

PC = Close to 30 years of games. Stupid quantity of games even if we limit ourselves to Steam/indie in the last years, best version of almost all multiplatform games, and sheer variety/experimentation of games.

PC even with emulation. The library DWARFS consoles across ALL genres. It gets pretty much every big multiplat. More Japanese console games are even making their way through.

No contest at all.

If PC emulation doesn't count then console emulation shouldn't count either, which makes PC an even easier choice.

conman

PC is the correct answer.

Not only does it have a larger, more varied library than any other platform, it also has a larger number of better quality games, and it has more games of all kinds than I will ever have time to play.

Second choice would be SNES or NES.

Hawk269

If it was today and PC is included PC.

If it is today and console only then the Dreamcast. If by end of year Xbox One X.

Kieli

Why would you not choose the PC? I mean, barring emulation because OP doesn't allow us (boooo), it's going to have support for the rest of our lifetimes. Not to mention ports...

AerialAir

Banned
I can, without a doubt, say it would be the PS3 with PS2 & PS1 BC. The PS3's library is on it's own one of the best, with BC there's just nothing that compares. And no, not PC, most of the games I play and enjoy the most are Japanese and, usually, console exclusives.

Top Bottom