• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can only choose one system to play for the rest of your life, which one?

Is backwards compatibility considered emulation here?

Anyway I would still pick PC because it has the largest library by far and encompasses several different generations of gameplay styles.

But if we're talking consoles, no emulation or BC... probably SNES. Graphics still hold up well, unlike the PS1. It will never break...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
PC or Gamecube, I'd be ok with either one. I could probably play SSBM everyday forever.

There is objectively only one choice for obvious reasons, PC, anyone who says otherwise is basically just being contrarian because they don't like PC.

SenkiDala

Even if it excludes emulation the PC library is just way too massive compared to other systems. If I had to pick a console I'd go PS2 probably.

I'm a huge console gamer, but yeah PC is the obvious answer for me. It's awesome that on 1 machine you can play the OG Tomb Raider, Doom, old CRPGs etc through GOG for exemple, and also the last AAA and indie games.
I'd miss some console exclusives like Persona 5 and Blooborne, but still more & more jp games are on PC, such as Resident Evil VII, Metal Gear, Tales of, Trails games, Danganronpa, NieR, etc etc.

So yeah, PC. But please bring Persona to PC.

Eusis

Even without emulation PC has such a grotesque advantage especially in displacing modern consoles (mostly.)

Beyond that? PS2 has a very wide library if we ignore BC (PS3 if we throw in BC albeit only the earlier models and if they'd magically be break proof... which is kind of necessary to not be a sadistic joke) and I'd still have a lot of fun with SNES.

Based on the PC but no-emulation rule, it would at least be the original PS3 because it actually has built-in PS2 hardware making it the console with the very best library (PS3,PS2, and PS1)

Pinky

Banned
Wii U

You get:

Wii U games
Wii Mode / VC (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TG16, etc...)
NES VC
SNES VC
N64 VC
GBA VC
DS VC
Indies

PC.

Having had a PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, all the Nintendo handled. I can safely say that a PC is the best for me, the library, moding and the cheer amount of utility makes it a no brainer.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If we're talking consoles, then XB1, easily.

XB1 games, 360 and OG BC, and loads of arcade releases of older games from Sega and Rare. Never have I had a bigger library of stuff to play.

DSix

Banned
PC.

Even excluding emulation, there is no contest here. The size and variety of the library is massive.

Only thing I would really miss are Nintendo games. But I can deal with it fine.

N64. Not the deepest library but it has my very favorite games and is great for multiplayer. I'm going to be playing games less in this hypothetical situation anyways, might as well make sure my favorite ones are available.

galvatron

Yeah, PC because it's cheating with emulation and there's great stuff made for it.

Console only...argh. I might weasel out and go Analogue NT Mini with jailbreak firmware or modded Xbox. Unmodded...maybe Genesis or Neo Geo MVS since they both have favorites and lots of games I've been meaning to give my attention. I'm pretty caught up on Nintendo.

Jimrpg

Playstation 2 would probably be my favourite console, but I don't think I would pick it.

I'd definitely go PC, got over 200 games for it and I'll never be able to beat all of them.

Bioshocker

I would want to say Dreamcast, but given the amount of games available I'd probably go with Xbox 360. Such variety and so much great stuff to play.

jackal27

Banned
Maybe 3DS for me.

I get the entire 3DS and DS libraries, which are HUGE! I own more games for the DS than any other console. Not to mention Sega Game Gear, Game Boy, NES, and SNES games on the eShop and even some remakes of various N64 games and mine is an ambassador edition so you know I got them GBA games too. Yeah, I'd probably go with my 3DS.

SNES is also a big contender, because no matter how many times I play those games, I never get tired of them and I just keep finding more good ones!

AudioEppa

BC PS3. The only real smart ass answer.

1. Access to great single player games
2. Free access to MP :)
3. PS3 XMB >>>>>> 4

The only thing that hurts is losing better graphics..

Fancolors

PC. Even with no emulation this thing has a never-ending library of games both new and old that are easily accessible with Steam and GOG.

I can live with no Mario and Pokémon if I have a PC.

Is this actually a question? It's obviously the N-Gage.

PS2

Edit: For those saying BC ps3, why? Ps2 games played through BC on my old HDTV were blurry and not very good looking. I doubt anything has changed since then since ps3 games were made for standard definition and not high definition.

I guess it's nice it plays ps2 but if it's not hooked up to a crt, what's the point?

Green Yoshi

Xbox 360

-Great gamepad
-No DRM
-No need to install games
-Good graphics on a HDTV

My second choice would be PS2 with XRGB Mini Framemeister.

killatopak

Gold Member
PC if it is allowed due to emulators but PS2 if not. PS2 boasts the largest and most diverse selection of games ever.

OuterLimits

3DS. Mainly because it has such a strong library of rpgs. Especially Atlus with SMT and Etrian Odyssey. Oh and a bunch of Dragon Quest games( if u include DS backwards compatibility). Plus some very good Nintendo first party games and a decent selection of indies.

Top Bottom