• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can only choose one system to play for the rest of your life, which one?

Phediuk

PC.

you could ask "if you could play either PC or every console put together, which would you choose?", and the answer would still be PC.

JimiNutz

Banned
Dreamcast.
I don't need a large library of games and will always pick quality over quantity. Dreamcast has many of my favourite gaming memories.

Nzyme32

PC simply for the vast range and diversity of games, many possible form factors and continuing innovation and experimentation with all the services, tools, games, business ideas, customisation etc etc.

Pretty much why I'm pretty much entirely PC only at the moment. I don't need anything else.

bede-x

PC naturally. The games library is insanely huge, dwarfing any console ever made and while consoles are dropped after some years, PC continues to get more games.

Mihos

Gold Member
PC is such an obvious choice.

If I had to choose an actual console, probably PS2 for the RPGs

Edit: Make that my backward compatible PS3, since that also covers my PS2, PS1 needs

yyr

As of 2017, easily, Xbox 360. At least in my opinion.

It has everything, including tons of ports and revivals from earlier systems, all the way from NES to Dreamcast. Think about how long that generation was. Tons of ports of arcade games (REAL arcade games, not "Xbox Live Arcade"), HD remakes, original franchises, the births of so many popular IPs, RPGs, fighting games, Japanese shmups, indie games (including the thousands of XBLIG). There's Rock Band and other music and accessory games too. You will never have time to play all of it.

All of this on one of the most comfortable, well-designed controllers ever made. Well, except for that awful D-pad. But that's why there are so many great arcade joysticks available for it.

Runners up:

I want to say Dreamcast, because the games are so great, but 360 just has way more.

Xbox One has the backwards compatibility, yes, but they've already said that accessory games will never work, and I'm not sure that a lot of the great Japanese games will ever make it over.

NES and Super NES are timeless. But still, 360 just has way more of everything.

Jigorath

Banned
PC, obviously.

Excluding that then I'd go with an fat PS3 with full PS1 and PS2 BC. Provided it doesn't die on me of course!

bede-x

Xbox One has the backwards compatibility, yes, but they've already said that accessory games will never work, and I'm not sure that a lot of the great Japanese games will ever make it over.

A lot will never make it, but we are getting some of the good stuff with Lost Odyssey, Catherine and Blue Dragon being available and this week we got Radiant Silvergun and Virtual On OT. I'm quite impressed with how much we're getting.

PC, because even though it'll eventually not be able to play the AAA games, it'll always be able to play the new indie games and non-graphics-intensive games forever.

Not to mention all of the emulation possibilities.

kitsuneyo

I'm shocked by my own gut response, which is to say Xbox 360. I loved that console, and I would return to XBLA stuff like Out Run, Geometry Wars and Pac-Man CE pretty often. Great system, amazing library and amazing controller.

Edit - PC should've been excluded from this. PC is not even a system, it's a loose grouping of tons of different systems.

MrMephistoX

Choosing PC is kind of cheating since any console has a limited lifecycle and your current PC does as well. You technically have to buy new hardware every few years on PC as well in order to keep playing current games just like you would a console.

If you choose a specific console you're stuck with that console's library for life so a fairer choice would be limiting the rules to a current PC with no possibility of upgrading the hardware otherwise it has an unfair advantage.

jdstorm

Banned
Assuming i cant just go PC.

WIIU. Is the obvious choice. Thanks to a little help from Nintendont the WiiU natively supports WiiU, Wii and Gamecube games with a HDMI out. Plus there is Virtual Console for some of the best N64, SNES, NES, GBA and DS games.

So in practice its the ultimate Nintendo machine and has some enough interesting 3rd party support from across 3 generations to be a viable 3rd party machine.

I think questions like this imply that PC shouldn't be a choice because it's too easy... Because like PC could also pretty much emulate every console.

I think I'd choose Xbox 360 only because it has a huge back catalog of games that are also on Xbox, PS2, and PSX. I was going to say PS2, but when thinking about the back catalog of "arcade" games, I'd lean towards Xbox 360... I'd still get to enjoy GTA San Andreas and Vice CIty, but also GTA V, RDR, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil 4, etc., etc.

If it only includes games released in that generation, then I'd say PS2, because it also includes the best, most playable career modes in Madden which are games that I can play for almost ever.

Azriell

Not taking the obvious choice of PC:

Maybe XB1X, for XB and 360 BC. I'd really like a fat PS3 for PS1-PS3 support, but I'd hate to give up Overwatch and other online MP games (plus I don't like the DS3 for FPS).

Honestly, I think if I could just have FFXI circa 2006 back, I'd be happy with just 360 (although obviously I'd take it as XB1X if it's on the table).

If BC is disallowed, I'd probably go PS4 for Overwatch, indies, VR, and Sony's first party.

Gonna have to go with the vita. That little machine has everything i need, tons of rhythm games, rpgs and a great selection of smaller indie games. Oh, and all the anime titty games too.

MikeyB

PC. Even if you like retro gaming, Sega has released a lot on PC, as has Capcom, Namco, and Taito.

Heck, even the ambrosia of Mac gaming, Escape Velocity, is available on PC.

Patch13

WiiU. Bear with me ...

It has Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Breath of Wild. So those are three major points in its favor.

Then it has both Bayonetta games, the best version of Deus Ex: HR, Smash, every Wii game, great Yoshi and Kirby games ... and Nintendoland, which is my favorite party game.

Plus, it has Splatoon, which is the densest, most satisfying of the online shooters, and one of the few games that feels almost purely joyful to play.

It is missing Tetris, Spelunky, and Crypt of the Necrodancer, which makes me sad -- those are three arguments for PC. And team Ico/Trico's games are spread across Playstations. I would definitely feel their absence. But the WiiU was basically everything Nintendo from '85 to '16, and that would probably be more than enough to keep me going.

PC, duh. A lot of console games would eventually be supported by emulators, if not outright ported.

If not PC, PS3 with PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility.

Top Bottom