• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 10 Games from the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Switch Gen

Witcher 3 - one of the most impressive games I have ever played. At the time easily the best open world game. Naturalistic quest system. The no-loading cities are on of the most impressive aspects. You can see a city in the distance and ride into.

Breath of the wild - another really impressive open world with a totally different feel to the Witcher. Probably the best sense of exploration in a game so far (shame you can't swim though).

Mario kart 8 - best Mario kart and best multi-player game of the gen.

Mario - 3d world. Amazingly varied, excellent level design - also great multi-player.

Xenoblade X - amazing world. Plot is not quite up to standard of chronicles, but does many things better.

Nier automata - very memorable, weird and unique. Excellent soundtrack.

Bloodbourne - my favorite souls game. Excellent combat, fun challenge and really rally cool seeing.

Uncharted 4 - lots of jaw dropping moments graphically. Brilliant script and characterisation. Action was the best of the series.

Last guardian - beautiful, unique and big emotional impact.

Total Warhammer - (pc only) excellent realization of the Warhammer world (which has sadly been destroyed in the tabletop game).
Uhh you can swim in BOTW

Servbot24

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. The Witness
3. Metal Gear Solid V
4. Persona 5
5. Uncharted 4
6. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
7. Super Mario 3D World
8. Inside
9. Zelda Breath of The Wild
10. Dark Souls III

1. The Witcher 3 - Setting the absolute golden standard for not only what an RPG should be in terms of character development, voice acting, writing, and plot; it also raised the bar for what open world games should be with meaningful quest design and a beautiful world that actually invited you to explore and wasn't just big for the sake of being big. It had a few shortcomings; The combat is ok at best, horse back controls, and some all around jank. However, the few areas it does falter, it more than makes up for.

2. Gravity Rush 2 - Sharing a lot of the reasons I have listed the Witcher 3. No other game in recent memory has had its entire cast of characters and its world enrapture me like that of Kat & Friends. On top of the gravity shifting mechanic just being pure elation to experience, it has an extremely beautiful and well designed world
Worlds
. I know there were complaints about the forced stealth missions (which are fair) but I didn't find them exhausting. The side missions were a wonderful change of pace that slowed down the events of the game for great slice of life moments that often had you revisit previous characters and gave insight as to how their lives were going, making the world all the more believable. P.S., Kat is just the best. P.P.S., Holy shit the soundtrack.

3. Titanfall 2 - Not since Half-Life 2 have I been as blown away by a shooter campaign as I have with Titanfall 2. It even surpasses the previous work of CoD4 in having an action packed, exhilarating campaign that not only packs a punch, but has substance. Respawn were able to take what was once a MP only game and build an interesting universe around it. You genuinely bond with BT and the end of the game was not only an insane series of set pieces, but tugged on my heartstrings a bit. There's also some mind melting sections of the game. Couple this with a great multiplayer component.

4. Uncharted IV: A Thief's End - Naughty Dog's opus. A lot of my praises of Titanfall 2 echo here. The set pieces are some of the best of the series and FINALLY the combat in Uncharted doesn't suck. The stealth/combat options in a lot of segments are very satisfying. The game is absolutely gorgeous, probably the most gorgeous game I've ever played and every moment of the game leading up to the very end is pure eye candy. The characters we all know and love are still well executed and the game does a wonderful job of wrapping up the series while leaving just enough open for a sequel. Holy shit the end section sucks tho. And there is some pacing issues, especially with the walking segments.

5. Dark Souls III
- The return of Miyazaki was well warranted and paid off. Dark Souls 3 serves as a "greatest hits" of sorts for the series. While not doing anything that hasn't already been done within Soulsborne, it does almost everything up to this point better in a lot of ways. After II, we come back to these incredible and terrifying bosses. Soul of Cinder, Nameless King, Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Dancer, Twin Princes, the list goes on. The combat is the best of the series and until the DLCs came out, it was sent off with a bang (seriously, why did the DLCs have to suck so much?)

6. Overwatch - Overwatch is hands down the best MP shooter this gen. The characters are more well designed and endearing than most single player games. While the modes are a but lacking, the complexity and variance within these few modes offers more replayablity than most other shooters. Sure, I can sit here and bitch about the lootboxes, the extremely fragile meta, Blizzard's inability to properly balance some issues with the game, but at the end of the day, it's just a joy to sit down and play with a well organized group for a few hours and few games offer the level of satisfaction that a well strategized push on an objective. P.S. I fucking love Ana.

7. Bloodborne - Hey, guys. Drillary here. B. ack again with another Soulsborne game. This time with more tentacles than any rule 34 image of Futaba from Persona 5. It's Dark Souls, but not really, but it kinda is. Except it's a lot fucking scarier. It's passe at this point to praise the Lovecraftian influence, but it's so well executed in this game I'm gonna still do it. The changes to combat and gameplay were enough to give the game its own identity, with how it rewards more aggressive and faster paced play. Sure, it doesn't offer as much variety as Souls. But It does what it seeks to do so well that it doesn't matter. It also has some incredible (and horse shit) bosses like Logarius, Blood Starved Beast, and Gehrman. I don't think a game has ever made my blood curdle the way this game did when I heard the Cleric Beast scream for the first time. Hopefully in the sequel, the multiplayer components won't suck.

8. Metal Gear Solid V
- Yeah, yeah, yeah. We can all sit and bitch about how terribly the story falls of in the last segment of the game. But everything leading to that fall of point was really intriguing. But let's not talk about that. I wanna talk about how this game is stealth gaming nirvana. The decision to use a series of open worlds was a great design choice. Giving you a literal playground to attack objectives however you see fit? The game even goes as deep as having the AI adapt to your tactics. Attack too often at night time? Ok, bet, we're gonna use night vision goggles. Headshotting too much? Bet, we got helmets now fam. Wanna distract that guard? Set up a box with a naked anime girl on it. Need that VIP to get out of that car? Have your horse take a literal shit on the ground and watch as that Jeep flips over with your target already unconscious. Fuck, I enjoyed every second of actually playing this game. A damn shame the story fell off harder than Rich Homie Quan.

9. Final Fantasy XIV - I thought hard about adding this since it's in a weird spot release wise (the original came out in 2010). But ARR technically came out this gen. Between the two big MMOs (WoW), this game is the better of the two. An actual REALLY GOOD story, amazingly varied classes, wonderful combat system (I actually like how it's slower than other games), excellent characters, great quest design, this game has so much that makes it stand out from the competition. SE does a great job of supporting the game with the big updates every 3 or so months that add staggering amounts of content. Some of the most epic raids I've had the pleasure of being involved in. High end raiding is so frustrating but the payoff is so worth it. I won't even talk about how great the FF fan service is in this game.

10. Hyper Light Drifter - This game is such a little gem. The combat is twitchy and enjoyable. The boss fights are challenging and all unique. The world is gorgeous and a joy to explore. The music is beautiful and rivaled only by Fez in it's 8bit glory. It's a near immaculate mash-up of Zelda and Souls. Seriously, if you're itching for an old-school Zelda game, check this one out. The story is very obtuse and I didn't ever really understand what was going on, but somehow it was rather touching. I can't really explain it, but just brushing against the themes it presents pulled on a few strings.

Honorable Mentions - The Last Guardian, DOOM, Superhot, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2

Games that could make this list when I finish them - Persona 5 and Zelda: BOTW

1. The Witcher 3
2. Uncharted 4
3. Bloodborne
4. Life Is Strange
5. The Last Guardian
6. Horizon Zero Dawn
7. Nier: Automata
8. Batman: Arkham Knight
9. Inside
10. P.T. (damn you, Konami.)

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. The Wonderful 101

3. Super Mario 3D World
4. Splatoon
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
6. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out an order for the rest. Vita and 3DS should really be included as well. Bolded are the two games I feel really strongly about. I feel like when I dig in more into this Gen everything except my top two will drop down a few spaces and even W101 will probably drop a bit.

Talax

Metal Gear Solid V
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 0.2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier Automata
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Tales of Berseria

Tekken 7 will definitely go in that list after release, alongwith Xenoblade 2. :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. Pikmin 3
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Yoshi's Woolly World
4. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
5. Yooka-Laylee
6. New Super Mario Bros. U
7. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
8. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
9. Yoshi's New Island
10. Rayman Legends

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Persona 5
3. The Last Guardian
4. Dark Souls III
5. Splatoon
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Bloodborne
8. NieR: Automata
9. The Wonderful 101
10. Dragon Quest Builders

Honourable mentions to Smash 4, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, and Life Is Strange.

It's actually been a really great gen when I type it out like that, took a little bit to get going though.

In no particular order:

The Witcher 3
Zelda Breath of the wild:
Metal Gear Solid 5:
Hitman
Doom
ME: Shadow of Mordor
Titanfall 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Shovel Knight
*Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

- I added Deus Ex cause I love the game despite the performance issues, the obvious cuts to the story. This game got cut in half. But there's a subplot in there, it's subtle. If you follow the thread, it links very obviously to blade runner. I really wish they'd finish the trilogy but that won't happen...?

Shabad

This thread is a bit brutal for Xbox One collection... Anyway, I feel this is way too early to do those lists. The amount of 2017 games in your lists tends to show a lack of hindsight - even though I agree this is a particularly good year for gaming !

AniHawk

This thread is a bit brutal for Xbox One collection... Anyway, I feel this is way too early to do those lists. The amount of 2017 games in your lists tends to show a lack of hindsight - even though I agree this is a particularly good year for gaming !

i think we had a lot of 'best game ever' and 'game of the gen so far' threads last gen too. but yeah that's the reason why i waited a while to do the gen 7 version.

also, i would encourage people to explain themselves in a list thread so it doesn't just become a list thread.

1. The Witcher 3 - In my opinion one of the few blockbuster games which really went above and beyond, a super ambitious project with some of the best DLC ever made.
2. Alien: Isolation - Superb audio and visual design, AI is the game that got me into the horror genre.
3. Divinity: Original Sin - Still remains unbeaten as the RPG with the best combat, finally a game that rewards creativity.
4. Shadowrun Dragonfall - A fantastic narrative experience in futuristic Berlin.
5. The Evil Within - A perfect blend of horror and action, great atmosphere and enemy design with an interesting story.
6. The Talos Principle - Best puzzle game of this generation for me, I also really liked the philosophical background in the game.
7. Dying Light - This is how you do parkour. The day-night system is absolutely great, introducing a well needed sense of tension.
8. Hitman - IO got Hitman back on track with spectacular mission design.
9. Styx: Master of Shadows - The best stealth game of this generation.
10. Prey - Another game which rewards creativity, just like Divinity and Hitman. Biggest surprise and best game of 2017 so far.

Honourable mentions to: Doom, The Witness, The Age of Decadence and Shadowrun Hong Kong

anddo0

1. Bloodborne
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. The Witcher 3
4. Uncharted 4
5. Metal Gear Solid V
6. Nier: Automata
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
8. Persona 5
9. The Last Guardian
10. Forza Horizon 3

Fbh

1) Bloodborne: The setting and world, the transforming weapons and faster combat, the shift in horror style as you progress, the art style and amazing FROM style level design. This game managed to take my favorite franchise of all time and improve it in several ways (though not without a few steps backwards)

2) The Wonderful 101: As you start the game you play a tutorial mission where you have an over the top and overly explained transformation, then you fight through waves of enemies as a theme song for the Wonderful 101 plays in the background. It was at this moment that I knew I would love this game and it only gets better for there.
It might not be perfect and have obvious game design flaws, but it's the first game that had me playing for 15 hours grinning at the TV like a kid on a sunday morning watching his favorite cartoon and to me that has more value than almost everything else in a game.

The Witcher 3: It's not just the amount of quests, it's the fact that I can be 120 hours into this game and still find a completely unique sidequest with new and compelling characters, a new sidestory, a plot twist and decisions to make that can result in multiple outcomes. This game didn't just surpass previous open world RPG's, it blew them all out of the water and will forever make me roll my eyes at any high budget RPG that keeps asking me to go gather "10 of this" or kill "2 of that animal".
This game is, to me, the number one proof that story and writing can do as much for a game as gameplay or technical mastery. Beause being given a list of monsters to kill just wouldn't be the same as having a story attached to each one of them, even if the core gameplay was the same.
Would have probably been my number 1 if I didn't find the combat to be shit.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:
This might very well have my favorite setting of any game. It's post apocalyptic yet not a nuclear wasteland, it has bows and tribes yet it isn't a historical or medieval fantasy game, it has robots and lasers but it's not a space opera about space marines. The world is as unique and interesting as it is beautiful and for once actually has an enjoyable and satisfying story to unvocer.
And then you have the combat against mecha dinosaurs which manges to strike and almost perfect balance of looking great, playing great, challenge the player and just being a hell of a lot of fun to play

Bayonetta 2:
This manged to take a game I already loved and make almost everything about it better. More options, better presentation, much better pacing and encounter design and combat that was still as enjoyable while looking even more over the top than before (I know some people like combat better in one, but as someone who doesn't go that deep into crazy combos and stuff like that I liked it better here). Add to that a ton of replay value and extra content to unlock and this is one of my favorite character action games yet. A shining game in a genre that sadly seems to be dying

Uncharted 4: The perfect ending for the franchise. A fun and enjoyable tale in the cinematic style that only ND can provide. I admit that the pacing wasn't great for future playthroughs but I found it great the first time around, it sort of gave it weight and narrative fitting to the end of one of the most popular Sony franchises of recent years.
It could have used a bit more action but whats there is easily the best it has ever been, and ND keeps showing why they are one of the top studios in the world when it comes to graphics and presentation.
Also bonus points for the multiplayer which I had a ton of fun with and got some pretty good support from ND including the great co-op mode.

Dark Souls 3: In a vacuum this might be the best Dark/Demon Souls game and would rank much higher in this list. But while the combat, level design and bosses are great, I can't deny that it suffered from a bit of franchise fatigue and familiarity. While almost everything in Bloodborne felt new and fresh, almost everything in Dark Souls 3 felt familiar with a strong "been there, done that" vibe.
It's still fantastic game and had a blast going through it alone and then in a Co-op playthrough with a friend. It also has some of my favorite weapons, bosses and locations of the franchise.
But it also shows that if FROM wants to move forward with this formula, they need to change up the setting and world as they did with Bloodborne

The Last Guardian: An amazing journey through a mysterious world. Be it the amazing vistas, memorable scenes or the bond between the kid and the beast, this one will be hard to forget. Trico in particular felt amazing, the most believable animal I've ever encountered in a game. I even found myself talking to it out loud as I would to a dog-
Would also rank it higher.... but dear god the framerate on OG PS4 is shit. This isn't a 30 fps game with drops. This is a 25fps game that's down to 20 about as frequently as it reaches 30. It was so bad I kind of had to get used to how it looked for the first hours.

DK: Tropical Freeze: Probably my favorite platformer ever. Not much to say other than the gameplay is great, the level design is fantasti and the visual style is both varied and memorable. Also bonus points for the great soundtrack and fun co-op

Rocket Legue: I've played several great multiplayer games this gen. But there is only one that keeps making me come back and It's rocket legue. This is one of those game where I can lose 5 games in a row and still be having fun. It plays great, gets great support from the dev and I really like the basic nature of it. It's just about your skill, not about your unlocks and build or cheesy strategy

Tomtis

1. Uncharted 4
2. Rocket League
3. Life Is Strange
4. The Order
5. Shovel Knight
6. Until Dawn
7. Tales from the Borderlands
8. Firewatch
9. Doom
10. SOMA

Destiny
Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
Bloodborne
Life Is Strange
Until Dawn
P.T.

To a lesser extent but still really liked:
Resident Evil VII
Rocket League

I also own Witcher 3 and Horizon but have yet to play either.

jdstorm

Banned

In a lot of ways 2017 feels like a new gen. We have the Switch, and Scorpio due at the end of the year.

With the cuttoff for the Gen 7 voting thread being 2011. I think its fitting to recognise gen 8 as 2012-16 and then count 2017+ as gen 9.

Metalmarc

don't own a Switch yet so i have to choose WiiU games, Nor do i own a Xbox One

Hitman 2016
Mario Kart 8 WiiU
Uncharted 4
Splatoon
Doom
Rocket League
Metal Gear Solid 5 - Phantom Pain
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3D World
Jack Box Party 3 (only because its one of my most played)

There are clearly really good games out there not on my list, it's just I either don't own them (Nier, Titan Fall etc) or haven't installed them (until dawn etc, witcher 3 etc)

AerialAir

Banned
Oh boy, this be hard, but since this isn't an "official, mod approved" list:

1. The Witcher 3
2. Persona 5
3. The Talos Principle
4. MGS 5
5. Nier: Automata
6. Alien: Isolation
7. Life Is Strange
8. Doom
9. Bloodborne
10. INSIDE

1. Shovel Knight - no game has brought me this much joy since Super Mario Galaxy. A true masterpiece.

After that I also loved:

Rocket League
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
Killer Instinct
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Street Fighter V

-SG

No order:
- The Witcher 3
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- Dark Souls 3
- Life is Strange
- Transistor
- The Witness
- Resident Evil VII
- Tales from the Borderlands
- MGSV

Still looking to pick up NieR Automata and try that one out.

Considering I'm counting home consoles here, for me, I'm counting hardware that cycles that released in the five years. So for me, this hardware cycle started with Wii U followed by Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and then Nintendo Switch (there's no Vita/3DS game I'd put on this list anyway so their inclusion would be moot - an argument could be justifiably made for P4G, but I'm counting only home consoles anyway so...)

Anyway, as things stand:

1 - The Last Guardian
2 - Nier Automata
3 - Life is Strange
4 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5 - Bayonetta 2
6 - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
7 - Driveclub
8 - Forza Horizon 2
9 - Destiny
10 - Splatoon

haikira

genjwu9f.jpg

Sorted Alphabetically
I plan to add more titles, comments, and improve the comments already written

01 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition
Played the original when it initially launched on the PC, and it really didn't click with me then. I only played through it once, that that was honestly enough for me.

Cut to last year when I impulse bought the Ultimate Evil Edition for the PS4, and while doing so inspired quite a few of my friends to do the same. It became one of our most consistently played games, both online, and local, and it brought me back to a time when I was a lot younger, and would get a lot more opportunities to play local multiplayer like that.

While I think playing it friends locally did improve the experience for me massively, I do also think the game itself had been greatly improved since I'd last played it, and it now plays to it's strengths. I also think the console version works extremely well.

02 Dishonored 2

03 DOOM

04 Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
The first in the series that I've put any serious time into, this is probably one of my biggest pleasant surprises of the past couple of years. It's been a blast playing it with friends weekly, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of our run slowing down anytime soon.

I always assumed people liked this ironically, but it's legitimately been a blast to play so far.

I don't think I've ever spent £8 as well before, or will ever again.

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces
We won't cut them any slack
The E.D.F deploys!

05 NieR:Automata
While I wouldn't say that I've ever become jaded with gaming, I do feel that there aren't a lot of games that'll surprise me anymore, or give me that "Wow factor" that I used to get. However Automata, sure to be my pick of 2017 GOTY, changed all that! It's a title bursting with originality, and ways to full exploit the medium it's on.

06 Titanfall 2

07 Wolfenstein: The New Order

Honorable Mentions
  • The Evil Within
  • FURI
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Life Is Strange
  • Prey
  • Resogun
  • SOMA
  • Uncharted 4
  • Until Dawn
  • Wolfenstein The Old Blood

So far...

1. The Witcher 3

Rich mythological storytelling set against a detailed and vibrant world. Truly the best open-world RPG I have ever played.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn

A nice remix of classic sci-fi storytelling tropes, elevated greatly by one of the most well-realized female protagonists in all of gaming. Action adventure gameplay is pure, addictive bliss.

3. Life is Strange

Deeply affecting and personal story which had me feeling for characters like never before in this particular genre of game. The best of it's kind.

4. Dying Light

The definitive zombie game. B-movie styled horror story propelled by exhilarating gameplay mechanics and a very atmospheric world. Even the safe houses feel nice and cozy.

5. The Last Guardian

A flawed masterpiece, but as emotional and awe-inspiring as any other one of Team Ico's works. A wonderful experience.

6. Ratchet & Clank

My first foray into the series, which instantly becomes a must-play PS4 title. Crazy good fun, awesome weapons to play with, and gorgeous to boot.

7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Simply put, the best Mario Kart ever made. Absolutely incredible gameplay which has never felt better, with an insane number of tracks, modes, and content. This is the definitive MK package.

8. Uncharted 4

A fitting end to the saga, made justifiable by the single best epilogue I've ever seen in a game; a very emotional, very sweet moment. The best gameplay in the series, as well.

9. Bloodborne

A game like no other. Art design is impeccable, action gameplay is deeply satisfying. It's one of the most important games of the gen, to be sure.

10. Watch_Dogs 2

A complete surprise after the drab and soulless first game. This is a game that is vibrant and brimming with life; a cast of characters that are insanely likable thanks to how well-written the script is. Watch_Dogs 2 is the unsung hero of the industry; a game that should be more lauded and recognized for it's outstanding representation of diversity. Marcus, the lead protagonist, is one of the best in gaming right now.

Still need to play:

Dishonored 2
DOOM
Persona 5

And not far enough into The Legend of Zelda BOTW to make a ruling on that one.

haikira

Switch is 9th gen and was just released. This thread is premature.

I think it's just out of curiosity to see what people would pick at this point in time, and the votes aren't actually being tallied up for any awards.

I imagine it's also the reason the Wii U has been included.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just winging it here and in no particular order...

Diablo UE
Zelda BotW
Splatoon
Enter the Gungeon
Super Mario 3D World
Grim Dawn
Skyrim SE
Mad Max
Shadow Warrior 2
Bloodborne

PantsuJo

This gen is stille alive and kicking, we should reconsider this thread in 2-3 years.

Anyway:

1. DOOM
2. Killer Instinct
3. Fast Racing Neo/RMX

"Essential games" so far, in every platform you have. Nothing else.

Melchiah

So? People can post their favorites if they want to. A late to the party system may show how it fares when it's 3,5 years old as well. There's no need for the others to wait until then.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Bloodborne
3. Resident evil 7 in VR
4. Farpoint
5. Axim verge
6. Shovel knight
7. Doom
8. Uncharted 4
9. Rocket League
10. Mario maker (i never played it but i love watching streams :))

mindsale

Or is it 7th gen in terms of system architecture? Or 5th gen in terms of online infrastructure?

I agree with you, but Generations are absolutely pointless. It became a marketing buzzword in the 90's to hype technological advancements when there weren't mid-generational console refreshes.

Now you can have huge disparities in horsepower and still have plenty of processing and memory to work with to look contemporary. And retro aesthetics are more commonly a design decision anyway. "Generation" just means a vague timeframe of when a Console was released amid its peers and I resent the shit out of it for still lingering around.

Having gotten out of the way how fucking much I abhor the term and wish it were left with Boast Processing back in the 90's where it belongs, the PS4/XBO/WII U/ SWITCH (for some reason) Gen games I love the most are -

Uncharted 4
Breath of the Wild
Dark Souls III
Last of Us Remastered
Overwatch
Bloodborne
Smash Bros
Wind Waker HD
MGSV
Arkham Knight

Honorable Mention: Stardew Valley

Sabree

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
Rocket League
Rez Infinite
The Last Guardian
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World
Far Cry 4
Steamworld Dig
Until Dawn

tengiants

A rough list not in any order and mostly just including games I put more hours than I expected into. Not including any portable/PC exclusive games:

Zelda BOTW
MH3U
Bayonetta 1/2
Assetto Corsa
Dark Souls 3
Mario Kart 8
Alien Isolation
Resident Evil 7
Witcher 3
Puyo Puyo/Tetris

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Pikmin 3. I am really tempted to replace Dark Souls or Witcher with Pikmin 3 on my list.

1. Bloodborne
2. Persona 5
3. Zelda BotW
4. Gravity Rush Remastered
5. Ori and the blind Forest
6. Nier Automata
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Splatoon
9. Witcher 3
10. Final Fantasy XV

StarPhlox

In no particular order, outside of the first two:

Bloodborne
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon
DOOM
Furi
Resident Evil VII
Dark Souls III
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Shovel Knight

A few honorable mentions:

Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Evil Within
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Super Mario 3D World
Ori and the Blind Forest

I have yet to play Nier Automata (though I do own a copy). I think it has a pretty good shot of bumping something off my list once I do.

Wowow it looks like somebody already commented for me!

1) DKC: Tropical Freeze
2) Bloodborne
3) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4) Nier: Automata
5) Resident Evil 7
6) DOOM
7) Shovel Knight
8) Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
9) Final Fantasy XV
10) Metal Gear Solid V

Currently playing Prey (not top 10 quality but maybe top 100) and Yakuza 0 (has a fair shot). Still need to play Persona 5 because it seems like that could replace FFXV on the list

1. Ori and the Blind Forest.
2. Witcher 3
3. Breath of the Wild
4. Forza Horizon 3
5. Killer Instinct
6. Sunset Overdrive
7. Hotline Miami
8. Shovel Knight
9. Until Dawn
10. Horizon Zero Dawn

Arion

I tallied up the replies and these are the top games based on number of mentions with at least 10 mentions.

Bloodborne 41
Witcher 3 38
Zelda BOTW 35
Uncharted 4 34
MGSV 28
DOOM 24
Dark Souls 3 21
Horizon Zero dawn 21
Last Guardian 20
Mario Kart 8 19
Persona 5 19
Super Mario 3D World 18
Bayonetta 2 17
Nier Automata 17
Life is Strange 16
Overwatch 15
Rocket league 15
Splatoon 15
Donkey Kong TF 13
Shovel Knight 12
Hitman 11
RE7 11
Super Smash Bros 10
Until Dawn 10
Witness 10

Indelible

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild
2. The Witcher 3
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
5. Rise of the Tomb Raider
6. Fallout 4
7. Super Mario 3D World
8. Shovel Knight
9. Life is Strange
10. Sunset Overdrive

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. The Witcher 3
3. Uncharted 4
4. Yakuza 0
5. Dragon Age: Inquisition
6. Destiny
7. Fallout 4
8. Dishonored 2
9. What Remains of Edith Finch
10. Persona 5

I haven't touched any Xbox 1 games, but that will change when the Scorpio releases and I'm sure Sunset Overdrive will find it's way onto my list as it looks like a game I would love.

Likewise for the Switch only game I've played is BoTW, but the reason I bought it is for Xenoblade 2 and I loved the 1st game so no doubt it'll also be in my top 10 once the generation is over.

Phediuk

1. Doom
2. Prey
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order
4. Hitman
5. Dishonored 2
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Titanfall 2
8. The Witness
9. Witcher 3
10. Rocket League

off the top of my head.

Ushay

Only a top 5 for me..
1. Witcher 3 - The writing was incredible in this game. It stands leagues ahead of other RPGs
2. Zelda - Breath of the Wild - Absolutely blew my mind and vindicated my purchase of a Switch. It replaces Ocarina of Time as my favourite Nintendo game ever.
3. Ori and the Blind Forest - Brilliant platformer that was so well crafted.
4. Gears of War 4 - Campaign was cool, but the multiplayer is amazing. Horde mode is very addictive.
5. Deus Ex MD - Great game, that was criminally underrated. Deus continues to be one of the best franchises ever, shame its been put on ice.

Igama

Neo Member
1. Persona 5.
2. Zelda Breath of the Wild.
3. DKC Tropical Freeze.
4. Super Mario 3D World.
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X.
6. Bayonetta 2.
7. Splatoon.
8. Super Smash Bros for Wii U.
9. Mario Kart 8.
10. Bloodborne.

Honorable mentions: Pikmin 3 and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The problem with these threads is you see other people's lists and then realize you forgot about some incredible games.

Neifirst

1. Final Fantasy XV
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Ratchet & Clank
4. Bloodborne
5. Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
6. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
7. Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm in the midst of Horizon: Zero Dawn & Yakuza 0, and have unopened copies of Resident Evil VII & Nier Automata as well. I'm certain all 4 will end up in my top 10 eventually.

Mr. Patch

1. Bayonetta 2.
2. Splatoon
3. Overwatch
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Transistor
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Furi
8. Gravity Rush Remastered
9. Rocket League
10. Mirror's Edge Catalyst

MGSV
Aaru's Awakening
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian
Doom
Hitman
Tearaway
Persona 4 Golden
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Can't fully commit to the last two. Tropical Freeze was great, so was Counter Spy, Bloodborne, etc. We'll see.

Hmmm probably something like this:

Bloodborne
The Evil Within
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Rainbow Six Siege
INSIDE
DOOM
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Titanfall 2
Resogun

Witcher 3, SOMA, Alien: Isolation, Driveclub, Dark Souls 3, and Resident Evil VII almost made the cut.

Top Bottom