• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 10 Games from the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Switch Gen

oSoLucky

1. Transistor
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Destiny
4. The Division
5. Persona 4 Golden
6. Bloodborne
7. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
8. Final Fantasy 15
9. Disgaea 5
10. Zero Escape Virtue's Last Reward

1) Overwatch
2) Bloodborne
3) who cares ;)

I could think up a full list if I put more thought in to it but those are the only 2 games that I'd put in my top 5 of all time

The game where a Gorilla and his family in name alone take back their territory from Arctic invaders

The one where a small sprite like creature wishes to restore light to the forest under the tyranny of a pissed off Owl of darkness

It starts off like a night of gothic horror before the hunt makes a gradual turn to cosmic madness

A team based shooter where you spend more time getting ticked off that no one is playing as a team while the ever present cyborg ninja teammate spams a desire for healing from the other side of the map

A breath of fresh air for a long running series, said breath is also wild

Overcome the awkward ergonomics of the 3DS with or without a gimmicky stand included for a long awaited sequel that plays nothing like its predecessors and is all the better for it

Where you find out that most people when given the keys to Nintendo's biggest kingdom simply create a kingdom of ruin

Third times the charm for strategic alien plant life servitude, stretched the definition of launch window waaaaaay too far.

Fantasy adventures with limbless french thing including all your classic fables like castles in the sky and...undersea espionage?

Female lead gets a haircut, people are outraged, granted I think that was because their sequel was "stolen", stolen from the cutting room floor at least.

In no particular order:

The witcher 3
Destiny
TLOZ Breath of the Wild
Final Fantasy 15
Uncharted 4
Dishonored 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Horizon Zero Dawn
Deus Ex MD
Fallout 4

Special mention to MGSV Phantom Pain, Uncharted Collection and RE7

Guardians

Banned
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. Super Mario Maker
7. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
8. Forza Horizon 3
9. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
10. Killer Instinct

Brizzo24

1. Doom

Revitalised and refreshed my favourite series in all the right ways. Absolute blast to play, gorgeous to boot, and completely gets what makes Doom so amazing. Can't wait to replay this Summer!

What am I missing here? Is DOOM receiving new content?

I unfortunately moved, and I don't have proper internet. I deleted the DOOM patch, so when I did go back to the game it was a terrible screen-tearing mess. PS4. I need to re-download that patch, and also find out what this summer brings!

tav7623

So far (not including handheld systems like the 3DS & PS Vita) my top 10 games list for this gen goes something like this:

1. LoZ: Breath of the Wild
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
5. Forza Horizon 3
6.Uncharted 4
7. DOOM
8. Mortal Kombat XL
9. Ori & the Blind Forest
10. Super Mario 3D World

Honorable Mentions (so far):
MGS V
Shovel Knight
Wolfenstien: The New Order
Final Fantasy XV
Friday the 13th: The Game (I know it just came out and has been buggy as hell, but in the matches I've managed to get I've had such an absolute blast that I've started actively using my mic for the first time in forever)
Outlast
Life is Strange
Until Dawn
Killer Instinct
1001 Spikes

spekkeh

Banned
1. Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch); Revolution of the open world genre. An endless playground of handcrafted exploration. No invisible walls anywhere in sight. Retroactively ruined all other open world games for me. Also the only singelplayer game ever I'm 100 hours in and not tired of.

2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U); Pick up and play gaming perfected. Doesn't matter if you've been gaming for thirty years or never held a controller before. You can pick a pad and immediately have fun together, or by yourself.

3. Life of Strange (PS4); Revolutionary take on a linear narrative turning it into interactive gameplay, which is used to great effect to make banal americana extra-ordinary.

4. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U); The lumen sage fights are the hypest of hype of any game ever.

5. The Beginner's Guide (PC); Created a new game genre: the autobiographic documentary game. Still the only one in its kind, as a testament to the genius of Coda.

6. Splatoon (Wii U); A celebration of negative space, this game turns the FPS genre on its head and is all the better for it.

7. Until Dawn (PS4); The only horror game that remembers you should also have some fun to make the suspension hit harder.

8. Undertale (PC); The redemption of retro aesthetic indie games.

9. Titanfall 2 (PS4); I've seen Titanfall. It was okay. I've also felt Titanfall. It was fantastic.

10. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4); Beautiful dystopian future game, that is about a woman and also about a woman, but not about preaching or fanservice. Open worldness sadly ruined by Zelda.

Honorable mentions: The Witcher 3, Super Mario 3D World, The Lab, Keep talking and nobody explodes.

LegendX48

1) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2) Transistor
3) DOOM
4) Life is Strange
5) The Evil Within
6) Super Smash Bros 4 (because I refuse to call it For 3DS/Wii U)
7) Resident Evil 7 (after some initial disappointment with the Outlast style intro, the game started growing on me)

That's it so far unless 3DS counts. I wanted to put Breath of the Wild up but 110 hours, and two playthroughs across Wii U and Switch, later, it's just a disappointing game through and through.

Honorable Mentions:

Street Fighter 5 - 100 hours across PS4 and PC and I just really like the gameplay. Shame about the rest of the game, though.

Dark Souls 3 - Really digging it, just need to beat it and it'll likely be my #8

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - First game I got when I bought my Switch. Really dug it.

Other thoughts:

I'm feeling that Tekken 7, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey will make and/or fight for their spots on my top 10. Feels wrong not throwing a Zelda game up there though, especially for me :\

1. The Witcher 3 - Took everything I liked about The Witcher 2, improved it, and built a beautiful open world around it.

2. Persona 5 - Hands down, my JRPG of the generation. While I hope the next game breaks the formula a little, I do think P5 is the ultimate realization of the P3/P4 design.

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Maybe cheating a tiny bit, but FFXIV's 2015 expansion introduced exciting new jobs as well as the best FF story in years. FF fans who dismiss it "because MMO" are truly missing out; the game is a love letter to us.

4. Mario Kart 8 - What can I say? The king of kart racers came back stronger than ever, the only thing missing being a robust battle mode. Can't wait to get my hands on a Switch and play all of the improvements made in that version for myself.

5. Bloodborne - The Victorian-esque surroundings and Lovecraftian horror elements sold me on the setting. I was not prepared for just how stellar the gameplay ended up being. My favorite Souls-like game by far.

GAMES THIS GEN I HAVE YET TO PLAY BUT REALLY, REALLY WANT TO:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
DOOM
Yakuza 0
Super Smash Bros. 4

Lasty95

I think...

1. Destiny
2. Overwatch
3. Arkham Knight
4. Rocket League
5.The Last Guardian
6. Breath of the Wild
7. Bloodbourne
8. Mario Kart 8
9. Mario 3D World
10. Splatoon

Edited to include Overwatch which I can't believe I forgot.

Not really in any order, though the first one is my favorite of this gen:

Mad Max - Open world with a cool environment, fun battle system, collect a thon. The end of the All is Lost Forever story mission had me so amped. I wish there was more after that because some of the encounters you have are super dark and
the voices you hear
make the game even darker and enjoyable. Stayed true to the Mad Max world and character, I thought.

Far Cry 4 - My first intro to the world of Far Cry and I loved it. Great visuals, fun gun play, more collecting that I loved and an awesome villain. Though, after beating it, I wish
I could have played the game on Pagan Min's side because I ended up hating all of the "good guy" leaders.

Guitar Hero Live - So I'm a huge Rock Band and GH fan. Rock Band 4 disappointed me greatly upon release because it felt like a step back from Rock Band 3. Guitar Hero Live offline mode was fun but nothing too special, other than I loved the feel of the new guitar. But Guitar Hero TV was amazing and kept getting better over time. I loved having half hour or hour long blocks to play random songs.

Ori and the Blind Forest - Amazing visual and sound design. Outstanding Metroidvania gameplay. Great music.

Rayman Legends - Superb and challenging 2D platforming with music levels that felt like Guitar Hero platforming, which I loved. They could make these forever and I don't think I'd get tired of them.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - I was already having fun running around, killing orcs and getting them come back to fight me and take over org land and whatnot. And then I got to the part where I could dominate their minds and I loved it. I love games where you can bring people over to your side (even if it is against their will lol) instead of just straight murdering them (though that was fun too in this game).

Rise of the Tomb Raider - open world (noticing a pattern?) with amazing graphics and great gameplay. I liked the story and enjoyed playing as "new Lara" once again (TR 2013 would have been an honorable mention). Loved going around collecting everything and exploring the tombs. Just felt like an expanded progression from a game I already really enjoyed.

Destiny - Great Bungie gameplay, kept me interested until I hit the level cap and story ends. So about forty plus hours lol. I didn't get as far through the expansions because life happened but what I played was lots of fun. My first MMO experience since Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast.

Sunset Overdrive - Took me a second try at it but that second time, I figured out the combo system and traversal and it was like a light went on. Had TONS of fun after that. Loved the character editor mode and female voice actor. Well designed city for the gameplay.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - Simple puzzle gameplay with a great story and amazing voice work, music, and sound design. The trailer made me cry. I cried several times throughout the game. And the end is one of the more powerful I've played.

Ridesh

Banned
1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Persona 5
6. The Evil Within
7. Dishonored 2
8. Uncharted 4
9. DOOM
10. Batman: Arkham Knight

jmizzal

Zelda BOTW
Rainbow 6 Siege
Xenoblade CX
Splatoon
GTAV (Xbox one)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3D World
Smash bros WiiU
ZombiU

Honorable mentions
The Division
Mafia 3
Watch Dogs 1&2

1. Bayonetta 2 - It's Bayonetta but better. Betternetta.
2. Persona 5 - Probably the best RPG I've ever played.
3. Earth Defense Force 4.1 - Funny how a budget series evolved into one of the best examples of its genre.
4. Crimzon Clover: World Ignition - Honestly, my opinion of this game has dropped since watching top-level play, but it's still an excellent shooter.
5. Yakuza Ishin - Best game ever set in the Edo-period?
6. Yakuza 0 - Might be the best game in the series overall.
7. Street Fighter V - Delete Balrog and Ibuki.
8. The Wonderful 101 - Completely unique take on action games.
9. Raiden V
10. Caladrius Blaze

Hard to cut it down to 10, I could easily double this list with great games.

Nameless

1. Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
The Last Guardian
Metal Gear Solid V
Titanfall 2
Dark Souls 3
The Talos Principle
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
Inside
Alien: Isolation
Life is Strange
No Man's Sky
Gravity Rush 2/Remastered

More than 10, no real order after the King. 2014 me couldn't have believed that FFXV, Mass Effect Andromeda, and Persona 5 would all miss the cut.

flozuki

1. Breath of the Wild
An awesome experience that I still haven't finished. I enjoy exploring the world, fight villains and just go wherever I want.
2. Rocket League
OMG! WOW! Nice One! What a surprise hit. I still play RL on a regular basis. Hopefully they will release a few new maps soon.
3. Bloodborne
Without words. Amazing atmosphere, so many weird enemies, amazing coop experiences. It will be hard to ever top this Souls-experience.
4. Witcher 3 (including DLC)
Wow, what a ride. What a world. So many small stories that were intriguing and didn't disappoint. One can only hope that the follow up can keep that love to detail.
5. Splatoon
I would have never thought that this game will be so much fun. What seemed like a small, fun shooter experiment became my favorite mp-shooter in years. I can't wait to get my hands on Splatoon 2.
6. Dark Souls 3 (including DLC)
From Software delivered a competent game that offered - as Blodborne did before - many unforgettable encounters with phantoms and enemies. The world itself isn't as exciting s Bloodborne but still far ahead of what the competition offered in their takes on the Souls formula.
7. Mario Kart 8 (Definitive Edition, since it even improved my biggest complains)
60 fps. A fully fledged battle mode. So many awesome tracks. Local and Online-Multiplayer modes that run rock solid. Visuals that sometimes looks to good to be true. Nintendo (to be more precise the Mario Kart team) knows how to squeeze performance out of their hardware while not neglecting a certain graphical standard when its needed.
8. Uncharted 4
I love Uncharted. Nate, Sully & Co. are lovable characters that are so well crafted. The visuals and set pieces are itching my exploration nerve while also causing itchy feet.
9. Animal Crossing New Leaf
I love Animal Crossing. Animal Crossing is relaxation. An idyllic neighborhood, fishing whenever I want and witty neighbors with questionable taste in interior decoration. What else can I ask for^^
10. Tomb Raider DE
The return of Lara was a surprise for me. Action, Mystery, Visuals, Locations: Everything was on a very high level. While the story was nothing to write home about it was enough to keep me interested. Too bad the sequel could't keep that level of quality.

rdytoroll

I've seen Mankind Divided a few times in these lists now. Played it on PS4 at launch, but sold it after a few hours because I just couldn't get into playing this kind of game on controller.

Is it worth it on PC in this situation (despite performance problems)? Is the story really as bad as people say? It can't be if it's on so many lists, I guess

sanstesy

1 donkey kong tropical freeze
2 zelda botw
3 super mario 3d world
4 kid icarus uprising
5 rocket league
6 doom
7 xenoblade x
8 dark souls 3
9 the wonderful 101
10 bayonetta 2

Blindy

Never owned a Wii U and cannot get a Switch so......I will include 3DS and Vita in this.

1) Bloodborne
2) Persona 5
3) Rocket League
4) Sunset Overdrive(The fact that these guys are going to be given the task of doing SPIDERMAN.....would be a damn shame if this isn't at least top 3 of this list in the future. A Sunset Overdrive with a slick talking Peter Parker, the web slinging and wall climbing and a badass cast of antagonists?!?!? Yes please.)
5) Overwatch
6) Dark Souls 3
7) Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
8) Shovel Knight
9) NiOh
10) DOOM

Honorable Mentions:
Danganronpa 2(Vita/PS4/PC)
Uncharted 4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Ratchet and Clank(2016)
Tales from the Borderlands

SpokkX

1. Zelda Breath of the wild (my favorite game ever)
2. Bloodborne
3. Doom
4. Dark souls 3
5. The witcher 3
6. Kid icarus uprising
7. Zelda a link between worlds
8. Metal Gear Solid 5
9. Horizon Zero Dawn
10. Super mario 3d world

Actually surprisingly easy to make this list, some amazing games released this gen. Just missing a Metroid

george_us

1) Persona 5
2) Bloodborne
3) Dark Souls 3
4) Super Mario 3D World
5) Bayonetta 2
6) Nier: Automata
7) Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition
8) Titanfall 2
9 Xenoblade: Chronicles X
10) Overwatch

So many incredible games that barely missed the cut like Splatoon, DOOM, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Yakuza 0.

Xliskin

I would include the Vita and 3DS with this gen

1-Bloodborne
2-Witcher 3
3-Bayonetta 2
4-Gravity Rush
5-Nier Automata
6-P4G
7-Nioh
8-Hyper Light Drifter
9-REVII
10-Shovel Knight

Honestly I can not decide which game is the first and second I really liked them both in the same level

mellow

1) The Witcher 3
2) Bloodborne
3) Persona 5
4) Overwatch
5) Life is Strange
6) Horizon: Zero Dawn
7) The Last Guardian
8) Nioh
9) Dark Souls 3
10) Uncharted 4

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Batman Return to Arkham
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Odin Sphere Leifprasir
The Last of Us Remastered

OK, now the real one =D

1. Persona 5
2. Splatoon
3. Nier: Automata
4. Dark Souls III
5. Bloodborne
6. Inside
7. The Last Guardian
8. Kid Icarus Uprising
9. Bayonetta 2
10. Sunset Overdrive

It could change since I haven't played yet Nioh and Breath of the Wild nor For Honor and many other games I'm interested in.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1. Persona 5
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Final Fantasy XV
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Uncharted 4
6. Forza Horizon 3
7. The Last Guardian
8. Bound
9. Super Mario 3D World
10. Resogun

I'm pretty certain P5 is my favorite game of all time and Horizon would probably land in my top 10.

Mubbed

5. Splatoon
4. Wonderful 101
3. Nier Automata
2. Hitman
1. The Evil Within

If I included remasters Wild Guns Reloaded would be in the top 3.

Luxorek

1. The Witcher III
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. Ori and the Blind Forest
4. Far Cry 4
5. Batman Arkham Knight

Based on strictly the current gen games I've played to this day.

Exodust

Banned
Witcher 3
Zelda BOTW
Persona 5
Bayonetta 2
Doom
Nier: Automata
Bloodborne
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy XV
Sunset Overdrive

In that order.

KRaZyAmmo

In no particular order
Forza Horizon 3
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Driveclub
Uncharted 4
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator (soon Xrd Revelator 2)
Rocket League

I tallied up the replies and these are the top games based on number of mentions with at least 10 mentions.

Bloodborne 41
Witcher 3 38
Zelda BOTW 35
Uncharted 4 34
MGSV 28
DOOM 24
Dark Souls 3 21
Horizon Zero dawn 21
Last Guardian 20
Mario Kart 8 19
Persona 5 19
Super Mario 3D World 18
Bayonetta 2 17
Nier Automata 17
Life is Strange 16
Overwatch 15
Rocket league 15
Splatoon 15
Donkey Kong TF 13
Shovel Knight 12
Hitman 11
RE7 11
Super Smash Bros 10
Until Dawn 10
Witness 10

Very interesting. Thanks for doing that. It has been fun to see what people have chosen. Lots of great games.

wreckml

Off the top of my head

Witcher 3
Breath of the Wild
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Yakuza 0
DOOM
Horizon Zero Dawn
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Uncharted 4
Resident Evil 7

I still need to finish Nioh and Nier.

tqmXWzc.png

1. Metal Gear Solid V

I've enjoyed this game for an absurd amount of hours. MGSV has a lot of phantom pains, but is still everything I want, and makes it work on so many narrative and conceptual levels. Every other 3rd person game with any kind of stealth and shooting is just wrong. The control schemes are wrong, the movement speed and animation are wrong, and they just don't feel right to me anymore. There's a lot of things I wish it could have or do, but since the MGS1 demo days, MGS has always been a stealth action sandbox playground for me, where I'd repeatedly replay and master the games, linger in areas with the most potential gameplay possibilities, trying to see what I can do, what kind of approaches I can take, how I could troll the AI and cultivate scenarios... and this game is the absolute epitome of that. Best dog. Best horse. Best girl. Best actual Metal Gear. Also, there's all this interpretative, conceptual stuff going on that I love thinking about whenever I return to the game, and start sinking back into it.

FJkTk1P.jpg

2. Dark Souls III

I revisited a previous entry just yesterday and realized how comparatively jank the older games look and feel relative to this one, despite their arguably advantageous tones, memorable moments, ideas and structures. I think I like this refined Souls feel more than I like where Bloodorne first hastened it to. What many have argued is a lack of impact from a reliance on callbacks, I would call an amalgamation of everything I remember, love, and dread... freshly arranged and presented with a lot of new heights, simply done in a better way. You've often seen gameplay get refined throughout the course of a series, but not often the thematic contents. Plays the best. Looks the best. Best fashion Souls. Best PvP (nothing like the cathedral with the giants still alive... that place is like a Quake III map wrapped in a 7 layer burrito full of Resident Evil 4). DBZ Bankai bosses take Pursuer to the next level. They're not making any more, and if I could only have one Souls game, it'd be this one.

kJoAO2t.jpg

3. Bloodborne

Bad moon rising. What a wonderful night to have a curse. It's hard to really put my finger on what makes this one #3 rather than #2... it's not even theme preference, it's probably just that I have such strong memories associated with Demon's Souls and the other Dark Souls games, that being more evocative of those specific beats and themes really resonates with me more. Potentially the best bosses and enemy encounters in the series thanks to the hunter thread running through it... it's almost like a game where you're often fighting both a doppleganger and your superior. Possibly the best DLC in the series, though that could easily go to DS2, due to the imo arbitrary way in which the two halves of Old Hunters connect without rhyme or reason. This one went to some crazy heights and chalice dungeons alone could make it a desert island worthy game... it forced DS3 to step it's game up in controls and visual design, so really, it's also because of Bloodborne that I enjoy DS3 so much.

b4rhVbs.jpg

4. Helldivers

This game is polished to perfection and the most fun I've had with multiplayer since my Quake III days, despite being an entirely different genre. There's nothing quite like this game. The pressure, expectation and intensity it puts on you is unparalleled. Friendly fire and death everywhere keep you mindful like nothing else out there. Coordination with a team who knows what they're doing, or even solo runs on level 12 helldives on a homeworld planet... it's so satisfying. The whole galactic war, serverwide contribution thing is a great touch, and I almost forgot to say the pseudo-Starship Troopers motif was an excellent choice all around.

jzK5MKE.gif

5. Street Fighter V

The game that made me enjoy fighting games again. This one anyway. It's the reason I have Tekken 7 pre-ordered. The game is a joy to play, the focus on online made me finally get over my stupid aversion and mental block towards trying to compete and get a little better (never going to be close to pro anything, just willing to have fun), eventually win a few times and feel pretty good about ot. It looks slick, sound goods, plays sublimely, and just feels incredibly polished. So much fun. Street Fighter is the best archetype for a fighting game. Like MGSV, I double dipped on it digital, just to have it convenient, as a go to game, even if I'm deep into something else that's currently occupying the disc drive.

7tdec6P.jpg

6. Resogun

Game is just nuts. Housemarque is the best at what they do. It's even better since the HDR and Pro upgrade. I'm no beast at this game, but just zoning out in it with the stellar light show, crazy enemy patterns, movement feel, multiplier maintaining, the directional flow in how semi-fixed enemy seeding and human release distance rubber bands you around the arenas to simultaneously cue into the optimal direction you should pivot to or maintain, and be likely to encounter enemy/obstacle waves that challenge you in the most engaging manner along the way, from moment to moment... and staying alive during some of the craziest clutch moments with so much barreling down on you, while you're nailing everything how you want to, thinning the herd along the way? It's pure video games perfected. Possibly the best "arcade" game ever made. Can't wait for Nex Machina. Bonus points for custom ships... love playing as Ryu and Sackboy+Swoop etc.

Tr4pJsA.jpg

7. Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors

I don't know every shmup out there like superfans of the genre do, but I was always a big fan of Einhander, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga... and I've really come to love shmups a ton these last couple years. This one is seriously cool, makes me feel like I've been playing Darius imports all my life with the way it's like a greatest hits mixtape on steroids. Love the way enemy swarms behave like schools of fish, I love how smart the projectile patterns and targeting priorities are, I dig the music (80's techno jazz from when anime was the best, just going all out and not even trying to sound like any other soundtrack styles, eras or sensibilities at all). The full arcade game is already a lot of content with all it's own modes, but there's so much more with CS mode, and this has more content and play value than any shmup I've ever played by light years. It's ridiculous. Way worth the $60 it refused to back down from. PS: I'll forever be envious of the people who ball hard enough to play this game on two side-by-side, 55" flat screens.

dnxpjCF.jpg

8. Last Guardian

Beautiful, surprising, misunderstood. The apex predator of Eric Chahi's evolutionary tree. I'm a huge fan of cinematic puzzle platformers, and I love Ico + SotC like most people do... so I was weened to have the patience of a saint, the requisite understanding and appreciation, a good sense of design to see why this took so long... to get the navigation and recognition AI, musculature and emotive states to work, and then create compelling level design, scenarios, interactions and meaning to make meaningful use of it, keep it fresh and varied, and build a baroque, unified world that accommodates both you and Trico, while simultaneously housing and serving the gameplay potential. The technology and inspiration isn't always in your grasp, and muse is a tough bird to cage. Sometimes it flies the coop, and comes back later. It's not like creating a house with a basic floor plan, nice visuals, putting furniture in it, knocking it all around however, placing some enemies in it like it's an elaborate skinner box, end capping these set pieces with cut scenes and calling it a day. All I did was treat something different, differently, and the game made me feel something completely new in games. Nary a week goes by that I don't wish I was setting aside time to replay it from start to finish once again.

AItot9K.jpg

9. Inside

I could almost say the same Eric Chahi lines about this. Heart of Darkness 20XX. This game thinks and plays like a revelation. Sometimes it was so intuitive to play and solve that it felt too easy, or the sense of epiphany felt unearned... but it just flowed, and felt like thinking on the fly, kinetically. The direction, ideas, surprises and interpretative vagueness is so good. It's also a strong leap forward in how people think about 2.5D visual and interactive design, in terms of depth and dimension. In many ways it's just pulp, you won't feel anything from it, but you don't need to. It's just one hell of a trip. I've gone back to it a few times when it's been long enough for me to forget exactly how everything will go, and it's still great. It's so well done, I almost resent it for making me wish some of my older cinematic puzzle platformer favorites were so fluid and intuitive. It takes more than standing on the shoulders of giants to be king, but you're making a strong case and on the right trajectory.

7AzySNZ.jpg

10. Evil Within

I know everyone's got their own sense of horror, but this game unnerved me like nothing else that first time through, and I like it more than Resident Evil 4. I dig the grainy, high contrast filmic presentation and I do like that aspect ratio for it (it's just scene composition, calm down). I love that it's a shattered psyche you can barely make sense of as you play through it, and how it tries to intimidate you with it's unpredictable nature and aggressiveness as the game goes on. "You. Will. Suffer." - legit shook. If you let yourself feel the way it wants you to, every bone in your body is telling you not to proceed, to just find somewhere safe to hide, and never come out... but you must follow what you're drawn to something, compelled to face it, and fueled by the adrenaline rushes. I like this story, these characters, these enemy designs, these areas, these crazy events and scenarios. That safe room proximity music is etched in my mind. In an era where horror games were just becoming a let's players reaction video and the illusion of vulnerability or resistance being seen as mandatory evolution... and after Capcom got a little off the rails... this genuinely felt like Mikami coming back to recapture something, remind people of a very specific game archetype, do it masterfully and do it to the max.

---

Shout outs to Nier Automata, Uncharted 4, Diablo III, Arkham Knight, One Way Heroics and Bro Force. Probably a few others too.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
01 - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - 9.5/10 (ps4)
02 - Horizon: Zero Dawn - 9.5/10 (ps4 pro)
03 - Forza Horizon 3 - 9.0/10 (xbox one)
04 - Rise of the Tomb Raider - 9.0/10 (xbox one)
05 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 9.0/10 (ps4)
06 - Mad Max - 9.0/10 (ps4)
07 - The Division - 9.0/10 (ps4)
08 - Far Cry 4 - 9.0/10 (ps4)
09 - Far Cry Primal - 9.0/10 (ps4)
10 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 9.0/10 (ps4)

Zeneric

1 - DOOM
2 - Prey
3 - RE7
4 - Wolfenstein The New Order/The Old Blood
5 - Dirt Rally
6 - Deus Ex Mankind Divided
7 - Dark Souls 3
8 - GTA V
9 - Stellaris
10 - Titanfall 2

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
In no order:

Witcher 3. Such a well-realized world. I loved every minute of my 100-hour playthrough

The Evil Within. I bought a PS4 because I didn't want to play this game on last-gen hardware. Awesome mind-fuckery with mildly charming jank.

Persona 5. While my least favorite, story-wise, of the "modern" Persona titles, P5 is the most mechanically sound. Great QOL improvements make P5 the least frustrating to play.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions. This bizarre mashup reminds me of the days in which video game productions were far less expensive. For good and for bad, publishers seemed much more adventurous back then. I liked the session mechanic. The game is refreshing and fun.

Gravity Rush 2. A vast improvement over the original, GR2 is charming as hell, and flying feels better than ever. The additional styles add needed gameplay variety.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. A level of competence and polish that we rarely see in open world games. I found the story interesting, and the many combat options make the tough fights truly satisfying. Actually got the plat, which I hardly ever consider. I just wanted to do everything, trophies or no.

Yakuza 0. My favorite Yakuza game yet. Runs well, the side content is mostly fun, and the stories were enjoyable. Yakuza showed up for PS4 in a huge way with Y0

Shin Megami Tensei IV (And apocalypse). It's more megaten

Resident Evil: Revelations 2. There were a lot of mixed feelings about the release, but I enjoyed seeing Claire and Barry again. Great wisecracks and a compelling story grabbed and held my interest. My GAF account had just activated, so it was the first OT that played along with. Just a good experience that reminded me of the PS2 era where even big studios published a lot of mid-tier titles.

Prey. A game with issues that still manages to do almost everything I loved about System Shock 2. SS2 was a game with issues, too.

I imagine that Zelda will squeeze in there someplace, but I haven't gotten far enough to make that kind of call yet.

stn

Sounds good to me!

1. The Witcher 3
Beat the campaign and all the DLC. Its easily in my top 20 games of all time. Great story, music, characters, and just about everything else. Its also the first time in a while that I played 70 hours worth of a game so quickly.

2. Deus-Ex: Mankind Divided
I liked it more than Human Revolution, simply because of Prague. Its easily one of my favorite settings in a game - ever. It was refreshing to see a European city in next-gen, for a change. Of course, the gameplay was also great. My only complaint would be that the story could have been better.

3. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
This is the first Diablo title I ever played. Bought it on a whim, haven't looked back. Its my go-to game when I want something fun and slightly mindless.

4. Street Fighter V
I'm a bit biased here because I tend to love everything related to Street Fighter, no matter how many shortcomings it may have. This is the case with SFV. Most of the game still feels like a beta. But I enjoy the core gameplay enough, just wish there was more variety in character gameplay.

5. The King Of Fighters XIV
Although I own KOFXIII, this is the first KOF I've invested time in. Love the characters, got used to the art style, and consider it fun to watch and play. I'm for the sequel whenever it releases.

6. Forza Motorsport 6
This is my favorite sim racer ever, potentially my favorite racer - period. Love the fact that weather conditions were finally added, its a blast racing down Nurburgring under heavy rain.

7. Injustice 2
This one has the potential to soar up my list in the future. I love fighters in general. I enjoyed IJ1, I'm enjoying this one more.

8. Yakuza 0
Really close to beating this one. Its pretty much the usual Yakuza formula with some changes made to the combat. Admittedly, I prefer the combat of the previous Yakuza titles to this one. Still, really happy to have it on the current generation of consoles.

9. MLB: The Show 2016
Just a really good baseball title. For reference, I was and still am playing MVP Baseball 2005.

10. Mortal Kombat X
The first MK I actually took seriously on a competitive level. I've always enjoyed MK but was never invested into truly learning its mechanics. This game also has some of the best newcomers ever to a fighting game, namely Kotal Kahn, Erron Black, and Cassidy Cage. Good stuff.

Barely Missed:
Killer Instinct
Destiny
Mafia III
Dead Or Alive 5
Forza Horizon 3

1 Bloodborne
2 Nier Automata
3 Persona 5
4 The Last Guardian
5 Bayonetta 2
6 Witcher 3
7 DK Tropical Freeze
8 The Evil Within
9 Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain
10 Dark Souls 3

Yakuza 0 will be on this list in a few weeks.

CAR105 3

I havent played many games this gen. As I've been sucked in to SMITE in the past two years, but my top ten.

1.Dark Souls 3
Perfect closure to the series and both DLC's were fantastic. The OST on this game was sublime the best of the Soul series IMO.

2. SMITE
This game introduced me to MOBA's. Hated it at first, loved it later.

3. Warframe
The first game I played that I thought the F2P structure was great and non-intrusive with great gameplay to boot. And it was receiving constant updates making it better. And new quedts/events every 2-3 monts keeping it fresh.

4. Elder Scrolls online
This game is great it was my first experience in an MMO. And also my first AvAvA experience. The pvp is very unique and I've never seen a game rplucate an oh shit moment like the one I had when I saw 40-50 ebonheart enemy players ride toward my general direction.

5. SM4SH
I love playing this game on local play be it FFA or 2v2, in either DS or Wii U. Best Smash IMO. Ganondorf main here!

6. Halo 5
Great PvP FPS, the campaign was a bit dissapointing though. But the prelease marketing and the #hunttgetruth audio tapes were amazimg.

7. Hyrule Warriors
I normally dont enjoy musuo's but this one was great. Also the Ganondorf that appears in this gane is the best Ganondorf!

8. Dragon Age: Inquisition
I know many on GAF hate it, but I liked it it was a bit to heavy handed on the sidequests, but the main story was great, and I loved the OST.

9. Diablo 3
Cool on co-op and very fun at high difficulties, but I dont really enjoy the single player pllay.

10.Titanfall
Not sure if it counts because it was crossgen. But the movement, the AI's, the TITANS, were great.(I havent played 2, so I'm not sure how the multi is compared to the first one, I do know that 2's campaign is better than titanfall's rotating maps with dialogue)

Goldboy

1. Bloodborne
2. Halo 5: Guardians
3. Persona 5
4. Overwatch
5. Smash 4 Wii U
6. Dark Souls III
7. Undertale
8. Life is Strange
9. Resident Evil 7
10. Shovel Knight

Neff

I shan't be including ports, or Switch as it'll probably be regarded as the start of gen 9 going forward.

10. Kid Icarus Uprising - The ultimate anniversary game, comprising 25 (one for each year since release) barnstorming chapters with two gaming styles apiece which can go toe-to-toe with any 3D shooter or character action title. Packed with an obscene amount of variety and content, with production values through the roof and 3D visuals to die for, it's arguably the most luxurious and impressive handheld game to date.
9. Splatoon - Not only one of the most original shooters ever made, but also one of the most polished, and for my money simply the most plain fun. A bizarre, crack-addictive hybrid of Ikaruga, Vanquish, Pac-Man, Super Mario Sunshine, and apparently part inspired by Perfect Dark, Nintendo's shooter continues to ride a neon wave of success into the future.
8. Bloodborne - From's Soulslike masterpiece. The most accessible, satisfying and unique chapter in the Souls formula, but also one of the most punishing. And we love it so.
7. Metal Gear Solid V - Open world and stealth perfected in one fell swoop. Despite being clearly unfinished and spread way too thin, Kojipro still sets the bar extremely high, presenting a beautifully-executed sandbox of endlessly varied strategies and dynamic, fluid objectives. The best Metal Gear game, by far.
6. Mario Kart 8 - The best Mario Kart, in every way. A racing masterpiece.
5. Super Mario 3D World - If the 'New' series establishes a simple and universally-recognised Mario formula, distanced from the more characteristic Mario titles, the '3D' series sits somewhere between the two. Built on a collection of Mario staples recognisable to anyone, yet retaining a mischievous and inventive standard of level design, 3D World picks up the bite-size gauntlet laid down by its 3DS predecessor and delivers a banquet. Overflowing with amazing levels, married to beautiful and swift controls, 3D World is one of the best and most underrated Mario games.
4. Arkham Knight - This game still amazes me, 2 years later. One of the most visually impressive games I've ever seen, not to mention jam-packed with tons of genius puzzles, fantastic action, super-tense stealth sections, and the expected overload of Batman fanservice. Still the best in the Arkham series.
3. Resident Evil 7 - RE7 makes me feel like I'm playing classic RE in first person. That's awesome. The story and characters (except Jack and Marguerite) are dull, clichéd, generic horror wank. That doesn't matter. RE7 makes me feel like I'm playing classic RE in first person. That's so fucking awesome.
2. The Evil Within - Mikami's return to horror after leaving Capcom is basically him making Resident Evil in spirit for someone else, which is great. Despite the fact that the plot disappears up its own ass in a frenzy of ambiguity and undisclosed lore, despite the fact that the game runs like crap on consoles with forced letterboxing and a poor framerate besides, despite the fact that the game engine literally can't keep up with the scenes being rendered, the game is a wicked good masterclass exercise in pacing, variety, encounter design, valid weapon diversity, and simple good old fun. Once you've experienced a TEW headshot, all others seem tame in comparison.
1. The Wonderful 101 - What can I say about this that I haven't already said here 101 times? Not much else other than I consider this to not only be the perfect fusion of PlatinumGames and Nintendo's respective strengths, but quite simply one of the finest action games of all time. It's a strange feeling to play something which feels like it was custom-made for me, spooky even, but that's what I got with TW101. I love this game.

quiet-dog

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The perfect stealth game I put around 250 hours into this game. While not the strongest story in the Metal Gear series the gameplay was absolutely sublime to the point where it felt like I was playing a video game for the first time. The only way this game could be any better is if there was some type of co-op to it.

2. Destiny
When this game was first announced I was stoked since Bungie was bringing their brand new console shooter to a PlayStation system. While I did not have an Xbox system last generation I did get to play Halo 3 in which I put in an insane amount of hours into making it one of my most played games of that generation. Fast-forward to 2017 and I have put in an extraordinary amount of hours into Destiny. While the base game was lackluster in combat it only grew stronger thanks to the updates and expansions. Probably the best first person shooter in terms of gunplay.

3. Bloodborne
My favorite thing about this game is the simplicity that lies within it. If I could introduce a newcomer to this style of gameplay it would this game for the reason of simplicity. Besides that the gameplay philosophy of regaining health by attacking is satisfying and the art direction is simply the best thing of this generation.

4. Overwatch
This game actually caught me by surprise as the release date was looming. When I tried out the beta my favorite thing about it was the characters and the world which were colorful but also had a great amount of depth to it. What I didn't like was the multiplayer-only aspect of it and the few amount of gameplay modes that were available. Eventually the game won me over and even proved me wrong possibly having one of the strongest gameplay loops ever and some of the best free content and updates ever, I am still playing this game to this day. Personal game of the year 2016 and Blizzard just got a new fan.

5. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
While I can't decide if this is the best game in the series overall it does have some incredibly well acted moments in the series. Also thanks to the writers returning from the Last of Us we get some different emotional responses from the characters such as fear and sadness. While it feels like there are some moments where the game slows down too much some of the gameplay design from Last of Us is a welcome addition, you can basically create your own set pieces thanks to the stealth and more open environments.

6. Batman Arkham Knight
The first true "next-gen" that I played this generation. From the graphics, seamless design of the batmobile this game still amazes me to this day. It was also a really great ending to the Arkham trilogy.

7. Final Fantasy XV
While impossible to live up to its expectations I enjoyed this game greatly even more so than the last few mainline titles released like FF-13. Got it day one and put around 90 hours into within three months and even platinum'd it.

8. Inside
This is probably the most surprising game I've played this generation not only in terms of story but gameplay as well. Each frame or scene feels very picturesque.

9. Rocket League
When I first heard about this game I wasn't too intrigued but thanks to the power of the PS Plus I got to try it out and had a great time with it. Similar to Bloodborne and Overwatch in terms of easy to understand and hard to master gameplay style.

10. Super Smash Brothers Wii U
While I put way more time in Brawl and this game seems to lack the hallmarks and trappings of it predecessor Melee this game is packed to the brim with content serves almost as a compendium of all things Nintendo. Not only does it have excellent gameplay but the DLC was incredibly strong as well. Character reveals were always turned into global events and were especially entertaining on Gaf.

I imagine that games like Witcher 3, Horizon and Zelda will eventually break into my top 10 as soon as get to them and put the correct time into them as well

jettpack

In no particular order:

Witcher 3
Dishonored 2
Prey
Cradle
Beginners guide
Hyper light drifter
Doom
Deus ex mankind divided
Banner saga
Samurai gunn

FinalAres

There's a lot of non crossover between The Witcher 3 and BotW with many putting each in the top of their lists with the other nowhere to be seen. Obviously not for everyone, but it's interesting. Do you think they fundamentally appeal to different types of people?

I've seen Mankind Divided a few times in these lists now. Played it on PS4 at launch, but sold it after a few hours because I just couldn't get into playing this kind of game on controller.

Is it worth it on PC in this situation (despite performance problems)? Is the story really as bad as people say? It can't be if it's on so many lists, I guess
Can't answer the pc questions since I played it on ps4 but the story stuff no not particularly

The side missions usually all have great stories and there's a really cool subtle main story beat that's hidden

The main story doesn't even end abruptly like most people say, it's pretty clear the end is about to happen - it just doesn't finish the main overarching plot of Jensen in Prague imo. Really the main story is much more inconsequential than I thought it was going to be going in but it's not really bad either. I assumed this was gonna be Jensen's last game so more major world building events would occur in the game's time frame but nope.

T-Rex.

Banned
Nier Automata
The Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Rocket League
Persona 5
Overwatch
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4

I still have to play Horizon, Yakuza, FFXV, and a bunch of others so I'm sure that list will change.

Top Bottom