• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 10 Games from the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Switch Gen

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So far?

Titanfall
Shadow of Mordor
Rocket League
Zelda BotW
Ratchet and Clank
Ori and the Blind Forest
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Killer Instinct
ZombiU
Sunset Overdrive

1. Bloodborne
2. Destiny
3. Overwatch
4. Horizon
5.FF XV
6.Uncharted 4
7. Mafia 3
8. Persona 5
9. I am setsuna
10.Nioh

HM: dark souls 3. Watch dogs 2.

Novocaine

In no particular order

Bloodborne
Resogun
Nier Automata
Halo 5
Forza Horizon 3
Ori and the Blind Forest
Destiny
DOOM
Hitman
MGS V

Honorable mention

Dark Souls 3

AmuroChan

In no particular order...

Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros
Bloodborne
MGS V
Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Rachet & Clank
Hitman

1. Bloodborne ; A masterclass in gameplay, level design, art direction and lore. The best game ever made.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ; The best open world game ever. A game full of whimsical charm that rewards exploration and experimentation like few games do.
3. The Witness ; A Metroidvania of the mind. Beautiful puzzle design in a gorgeous world.
4. Super Mario 3D World ; Mario as an obstacle course in 3D, a run and jump masterpiece
5. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ; One of the best 2D platformers ever, with superb level design.
6. Super Mario Kart 8 ; The best Mario Kart ever.
7. The Last Guardian ; A beautiful, moving tale of bonding and companionship.
8. DOOM ; The perfect FPS gameplay loop. Fantastic combat.
9. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Gorgeous Metroidvania with awesome mechanics.
10. Resogun ; A fantastic arcade game with some of the best DLC of this gen.

Fredrik

With no PC games it'll look like this:

1. Zelda BOTW
2. Ori and the Blind Forest
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Uncharted 4
5. Inside
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. The Witness
8. Forza Horizon 3
9. Wonderboy Dragon's Trap
10. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Edit: omg I missed Ori and the Blind Forrest, no 2 this generation

kunonabi

I'll do a top 11:

1.The Wonderful 101(WiiU)
2.MGSV(PS4)
3.Xenoblade X(WiiU)
4.NintendoLand(WiiU)
5.Star Fox Zero(WiiU)
6.World of Final Fantasy(PS4)
7.Pikmin 3(WiiU)
8.King of Fighters XIV(PS4)
9.Tomodachi Life(3DS)
10.Attack of the Friday Monsters(3DS)
11.Stella Glow(3DS)

On mobile so ill add details later if the thread is still open.

boo

Gold Member
1. Xenoblade Chronicles X. I played this game from december 2015 to march 2017. Restarted twice, as I finally started to get the gameplay right. In the beginning I mashed the A-button like mad, and couldn't understand what I was supposed to do. How do I play a game like this? Learned step by step, by reading the neogaf threads, plus Google is my friend. Please make a sequel, Nintendo. Should have played, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario Maker etc., but couldn't stop playing XCX.

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Playing it now. Avoiding taking on the dungeons and Ganondorf for as long as possible, while I hunt down anything I can find, and climb everywhere. Almost thirty shrines and 500 Korok seeds still missing. Looking forward to the DLC.

3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf. The first Animal Crossing game I could get into since the GameCube-version.

4-10 TBD.

MrS

Banned
In no order:

Nioh
Resogun
The Witcher 3
Salt and Sanctuary
N++
Destiny
Thumper
Rocket League
Bloodborne
Nier: Automata

There's a whole bunch I still haven't played yet, or enough of, for various reasons.
Not gonna rank these, cause that always feels hopeless most of the time. Also this way I can list 11 without anyone noti...

Hitman
Someone's done something they should've.
Life is Strange
Hella good.
Stardew Valley
Stellar.
Tales from the Borderlands
Fun in games.
Grow Home
Sweet roam.
Forza Horizon 2-3
Breezy cruising.
Dirt Rally
Filthy hardcore.
Grand Theft Auto V
Mods so good one literally blew my GPU away.
IGN.com
Until Dawn
Took me by Stormare.
Metal Gear Solid V
Deserted, but on
A Battlefield
love can bloom.

Off the top of my head:

1. The Witcher 3
2. AC4: Black Flag (cross-gen nonetheless)
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
5. Halo 5
6. Life is Strange
7. Alien: Isolation
8. Doom
9. Wolfenstein: TNO
10. Dragon Age: Inquisition (in spite of all its glaring flaws, there was a good game in there.)

These are just the ones I've played. My backlog still has quite a few candidates.

Montresor

1. Forza Horizon 3
2. Inside
3. The Witness
4. Sunset Overdrive
5. Life Is Strange
6. Quantum Break
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider
8. The Turing Test
9. King's Quest
10. The Evil Within

Disclaimer: I'm only on Xbox so my guess/hunch is I would probably have Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn somewhere in my list if I played on PS4.

Also, I haven't played certain big multiplats like The Witcher 3.

Absolutely love the above games though and I'd put them up against my top 10 of last gen too.

blakep267

Elder scrolls online
Titanfall
Halo 5
Sunset overdrive
Tales from the borderlands
Borderlands the handsome collection
D4
Overwatch
FFXV

Breath of the wild
Doom
Overwatch
Resogun
Mario kart 8
Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Kid Icarus Uprising
The Witness

Off the top of my head, no particular order. But even that doesn't seem right. Splatoon, 3D World and Dishonored 2 should be fit in somehow.

silva1991

1- Bloodborne/Bayonetta 2
2- Witcher 3
3- Persona 5
4- Breath of The Wild
5- Sunset Overdive
6- Resident Evil 7
7- Horizon Zero Dawn
8- The Last Guardian
9- Ori and the Blind Forest
10- Super Mario 3D World.

Not necessarily in order except for Bayonetta and Bloodborne.

Greedings

No particular order

Nier: Automata
Splatoon
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Zelda: BotW
DOOM
MGS:V
Mario Maker
Bayonetta 2, Transformers Devestation and W101 need to be mentioned. They're also awesome.

13ruce

Banned
I will also list 3ds games strange it's not included in the OP's title but anyway:

1: Zelda Breath of the Wild.
2: Nier: Automata.
3: Splatoon.
4: A Link Between Worlds.
5: Both 3DS Zelda remakes.
6: COD Black Ops 3 Zombies
7: Bloodborne and DS3.
8: Witcher 3.
9: Pokemon Sun and Moon.
10: Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Tyaren

1. The Witcher 3

2. Horizon Zero Dawn

3. Uncharted 4

4. The Last Guardian

5. Final Fantasy XV

6. Batman Arkham Knight

7. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild
2. Smash Brothers for Wii U
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Uncharted 4
5. Metal Gear Solid V
6. Pikmin 3
7. Destiny
8. OverWatch
9. Mario 3D world.
10. Splatoon.

Breath of the Wild
The Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Super Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
The Last Guardian
Forza Horizon 3
The Talos Principle
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sunset Overdrive

1. Horizon
2. Uncharted 4
3. Rocket League
4. Titanfall 2
5. Destiny
6. Battlefield 1
7. MLB: The Show 17
8. Mass Effect: Andromeda
9. NBA 2K17
10: The Witness

Loved, but not sure if these count:
Last of Us
GTA V
Uncharted Collection
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

KevinG

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Bloodborne

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Horizon 3

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Uncharted 4

The Last Guardian

Super Mario 3D World

Titanfall 2

Still chipping away at Horizon Zero Dawn.

Staf

I'm gonna settle for 3.

1. Witcher 3
2. Divinity: OS
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn

There are many, many other great games. Awesome generation.

Gaenor

Banned
In order:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Battlefield 1 MP
  • Driveclub
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III MP
I didn't count last gen remasters such The Last of Us Remastered or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.

1. Bloodborne
2. The Last Guardian
3. Persona 5
4. Nioh
5. Dark Souls III
6. Rocket League
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild + The Witcher 3 + Horizon Zero Dawn
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Honorable mentions

• Furi
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • INSIDE
  • Yakuza 0
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Let It Die
  • Life Is Strange
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Until Dawn
  • NieR: Automata
  • Gravity Rush 2

Thorrgal

I had this lists made for some friends that bought a PS4 a couple months ago. I include remasters because you can play them (and I played them) on PS4.

I made 2 lists because some don't like indies (yes I know) and also so I could fit more games. There are multiplate games in some spots for that same reason:

Triple A:

1- The Last of Us
2- Bloodborne ( also DS3, DS2 SotFS)
3- The Witcher 3
4- Horizon ZD
5- Uncharted 4 (UC Collection)
Next 5 could really be in any position
6- Tomb Raider+RotTR
7- AC: Black Flag
8- Until Dawn
9- Far Cry 4+ Primal
10- Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Haven't played Persona 5, NiOh, Nier or Yakuza 0 which I hope to do during the year.

Indies(was hard to rank them):

1- Isaac Rebirth+Afterbirth
2- Telltale Games (Specially Tales, TWD S1, TWAU)
3- Life is Strange
4- Hotline Miami 1-2
5- Inside+Limbo
6- Resogun+ Alienation
7- Journey
8- Rogue Legacy
9- Shovel Knight
10- Darkest Dungeon/ Salt & Sanctuary (still playing this 2)

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Already finding it difficult to select ten:

1. Uncharted 4
2. The Witcher 3
3. Horizon
4. The Last Guardian
5. Bloodborne
6. Doom
7. Titanfall 2
8. Yakuza 0
9. Inside
10.Gravity Rush 2

H'ble mentions: MGS 5, RnC, Resident Evil 7,Witness.
Assuming GodOW, Spider Man, Dayz Gone, Ni No Kuni 2, Detroit and what not is released by next year, my list will change considerably.

(TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Sucker Punch's next by 2019....f**k, how will i choose only 10 then?)

What I consider best of this gen from what I've played:
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Dishonored 2
Soma
Transistor
Invisible Inc.
The Witness
Hyper Light Drifter
Rocket League
Forza Horizon 3
Inside

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Hyper Light Drifter
MGSV
Gravity Rush 2
Alien: Isolation
The Wolf Among Us
Transformers Devastation
Ratchet and Clank
Resident Evil Revelation 2

Pretty sure more 2017 games will dominate my list once I get to them.

zenspider

A bit premature, but I do love lists.

1) Splatoon
2) Bloodborne
3) Street Fighter V
4) Legend of Zelda: BotW
5) Xenoblade Chronicles X
6) Overwatch
7) Rez Infinite
8) Digimonstory: Cyberslueth
9) Final Fantasy XV
10)Yakuza 0

Elitist1945

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Uncharted 4
3. Until Dawn
4. The Last of Us: Remastered (would be higher if it wasn't #1 on my last gen list)
5. Uncharted: Collection (same as above pretty much)
6. Wolfenstein: The New Order
7. The Last Guardian
8. The Order 1886
9. Just Cause 3
10. Battlefield 4

jdmonmou

Here's my list so far. Still neck deep in a backlog from games earlier this year (e.g. Nier Automata, Yakuza, Nioh, etc.) so those weren't added at this time.

10. Bayonetta 2
Unfortunately, one of two games of completed on the Wii U. This game was a blast. Definitely, one of the few high points of being a Wii U owner.

9. South Park The Stick of Truth
This game was surprisingly good and hilarious. I'm looking forward to the next South Park game.

8. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
While this game dragged on far too long, I still enjoyed the open world and utilizing a variety of methods to tackle enemy camps. It's overall a solid open world action game.

7. Horizon Zero Dawn
Interesting story and good open world action game.

6. MLB The Show Series
Very addictive to play and best annual sports game franchise...period.

5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Very good game to conclude Nathan Drake's story. Very solid action game with impressive visuals.

4. Doom
The sleeper hit of 2016 for me. Fast, fluid, and gritty action. I haven't played a better FPS since.

3. Witcher 3
Very good open world game with tons of interesting side quests and strong DLC. There's a lot of game to play here and you will be thoroughly satisfied when the ending credits roll.

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I've never played a game like this before. The openness really impressed me. Being able to take on any of the games missions in any order and also discovering new ways to play was very fun.

1. Rocket League
Boy this game was really a surprise when I first played it and I've been addicted ever since. Nearly 500 hours of playtime and I'm not tired of playing it yet. One of the best online multiplayer experiences I've ever had.

I'm counting 3DS 2013 and onward as well.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Bloodborne
3. Zelda: BotW
4. Nioh
5. Shin Megami Tensei IV
6. Super Mario 3D World
7. NieR: Automata
8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
9. Fire Emblem: Awakening
10. Mario Kart 8

KraytarJ

1. Persona 5
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Nier: Automata
4. Life is Strange
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
6. Fire Emblem: Awakening
7. Splatoon
8. The Witness
9. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
10. Pokemon Sun and Moon

HM to Persona 4 Golden, Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD which would all be near or at the top of this list if it felt right to rank them.

kewlmyc

1. Bloodborne
2. Nier Automata
3. Persona 5
4. Overwatch
5. LoZ: Breath of the Wild
6. Titanfall
7. Pokemon Sun and Moon
8. Uncharted 4
9. Dark Souls 3
10. Inside

Honorable Mention:
Tales of Berseria

Own but haven't really played any/much of it yet:
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
DOOM
Deux Ex: Mankind Divided
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy XV

Hope i'm not forgetting anything

1. Zelda BOTW
2. The Witcher 3
3. Divinity: Original Sin
4. Ori and the Blind Forest
5. Tales of Berseria
6. Hitman
7. Xenoblade Chronicles X
8. Doom
9. Prey
10. South Park: The Stick of Truth

edit: wait, forgot about the 3DS lel. FE Awakening & Pokemon XY are easily a top 5 but i'm too lazy to edit the list.
Also, I just started playing Titanfall 2 and I feel like it's going to take Doom's place in the list.

1.) Inside: i never did get much into limbo, but play deads inside caught me entirely by surprise. I was enticed by its
Machab art, and drawn in by its yet to be matched characfer animations and the cycnical under tones present through out. Inside is one of the few games that had me
Thinking about it long after i had beaten it.

2.) The witcher 3: to this day i am a huge fan of bethesdas open world rpg's. But id be lying if i said some of that love wasn't thrown into question after playing cd projekt red's third installment in the witcher franchise. Past experience came from playing about half of the second game on xbox 360 but the third entry managed grip me almost immediatley and throughout my 130 ish hours with the game. I wanted to explore every last bit of that world, and do every quest i possibly could. The characters were so endearing and well written, geralts search for ciri felt urgent and personal. And the sound track that would kick up when faced off against a tough monster was god tier. Witcher 3 blew me away like no game had since oblivion in 2006.

3.) Ori and the Blind forest: Ori and the blind forest to me represented microsofts foot in the ground. It was a bold statement to indie developers that said, we will do better, and here is the proof. Ori presents us with some of the most beautiful 2d art ive ever seen in a game, along side a character who is a genuin joy to control
And maneuver. The art and gameplay are married by a gorgeous orchestral score and a narrative that is at times terrifying and tear jerking all at once. Through challenging escape sequences that act as the ultimate test of your platforming skills, you feel ori's struggle to escape almost as if you are there in person. I am so excited to see what this studio has instore for us next

4.) Dark souls 3: ds3 acted as the ultimate culmination of not only the narrative from started in 2011 but also the gameplay that has evolved and changed from its inception in demons souls to its biggest evolution in bloodborne. Ds3 deftly combines the fast paced aggressive gameplay of bb with the often more defensive style of dark souls and managed to make what is arguably the best combat seen in the series to date. As someone who spent late hours playing souls titles and watching vatti vidya, seeing these plot threads tie togeather as new ones opened up was a pure trear. All of ds3's bosses were varied and memorable to. Few moments in my life will ever give me the pure nirvana i felt when i finally laid that last strike against the nameless king on what mustve been my 10th or 11th attempt.

5.) Life is strange: i had grown tired of tell tales adventure game style for quite some time until i played lis. Though turned off by the first episode and its "hella" hipster lingo, i percevered and found an amazing licensed soundtrack that knew right when to play, choices that actually
Mattered, and characters whose world and personal plights would suck me in for hours at a time. Whenever a game is powerful enough to bring me to tears, you know youve dine something right.

6.) Doom: FUCK ALL THAT BITCH ASS EMOTIONAL
AND PHILOSOPHICAL BULLSHIT FROM THOSE OTHER GAMES THIS IS MUTHER FUCKING DOOM YALL!!! Seriously play this game. Its been so long since an fps has brought me as much nonsensical joy as doom has. Doom gives you one objective, kill all the demons, in the quickest,
Most violent fashion you can while listening to Mick gordons killer soundtrack, and occasionally tracking down a secret or two, and it fucking rocks.

7.) Virginia: its honestly better if you just
Play this one. Take a beautiful sound track, an emotionally charged and effective story that uses no dialogue, and expert use of jump cuts to create one of the most creative cinematix experiences of this generation.

8.) tales from the boarderlands: im like many others where i dislike boarderlands and adored this game. Its cast of characters had me sad to leave pandora by the end of its awesome fifth chapter. Tell tale fatigued be damned, i enjoyed the fuck out of this one

9.) until dawn: again an awesome spin on the adventure genre, it can be argued that in the best way the developers behind this once successfully managed to out cage david cage himself. The story is a love letter to anyone who likes horror. Teens of varying likeability ( fuck you
Emily ) are hanging out in a canadian winter cabin when some spooky stuff starts to go down. It plays with these tropes in unique and interesting ways and its plot will leave you guessing until the very end. I managed to keep every teen alive but its entirely possible for
Them all go in the most gruesome manners imaginable if your not careful. Awesome game, my favorite ps exclusive thus far.

10.) Fallout 4: Yes i can hear the axes
Grinding now. "But your choices dont matter!!" "They watered down the rpg elements" "witcher 3 shits on this game from a 30 story building!!!" And to all of these complaints i say yes. But for as many issues as fallout 4 has it doesnt change the fact that i enjoyed all 200 hours of my time in the wonderfully detailed common welth, fiding scrap and constantly upgrading my sanctuary while listening to
Some junky fifties tunes to me was a joy unto itself. Gunplay was such a massive step up from 3 that its kind of ridiculous, but all the weapons felt great and were a joy to use, it was also so great to find and meet all of the common wealths interesting and unique companions, my personal favorite being piper.

Jigorath

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. Nier: Automata
4. Persona 5
5. Titanfall 2
6. Overwatch
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Wolfenstein: The New Order
9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
10. Until Dawn

Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are two of the best games I've ever played. A lot of good stuff this gen.

Fou-Lu

I don't know if I have played ten games form this gen to completion yet...

BotW, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Ori and the Blind Forest, Final Fantasy XV, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders, The Last Guardian, Dragon Age Inquisition.

Something like that. I guess if I count 3DS and Vita there would be a bunch of others. Yakuza 5, Nioh and Nier Automata are in progress and all have a chance of being in the top 10 I am sure.

eXMomoj

So far for me:

1. Dark Souls 3
  2. Rocket League
  3. Bloodborne
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Horizon Zero Dawn
  6. Uncharted 4
  7. Pokemon Sun/Moon
  8. Destiny
  9. Forza Horizon 3
  10. The Witcher 3
I anticipate Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us Part 2, and the new God of War taking place on that list (as well as Bloodborne 2 - BELIEVE).

Bulk_Rate

1. Bloodborne: The only Souls game since DS1 (which was my first) to instill the same sense of being lost, terror, awe, and accomplishment. Plus the atmosphere and lore really stuck with me after I finished the game. Also, my son picked up the game and has kicked ass at it so I'm having fun living vicariously through him.

2. Overwatch: Aside from the game's obvious virtues, I particularly appreciate the relatively short match times - which is rare for a game which still manages to scratch my competitive itch.

3. Rocket League: Had to uninstall it due to borderline addiction - but remains the only game to make me scream YESSSSSSS" at the screen on multiple occasions. Decline in the congeniality of the PS4 community is a bummer though.

4. Diablo III (PS4): Thanks to the steady cycle of improvement, this one delivered dozens of hours of fun co-op gaming time with my wife. We got burned out eventually running GR's but seasons mode beckons....

5. Resident Evil 7: Scary, technically polished, with great callbacks to the OG series. Looking forward to replaying in VR one day.

Promising games I have but haven't finished: Witcher 3, Until Dawn (!!), Tales from the Borderlands

Disappointed: Uncharted 4. Had to force myself to finish it.

Honorable Mention: SW Battlefront

1. The Witcher 3
2. The Witness
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Prey
5. Uncharted 4
6. Rainbow Six Siege
7. Bloodborne
8. Life is Strange
9. Tales from the Borderlands
10. South Park: The Stick of Truth

Courage