• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube terminated jamesnintendonerd (AVGN) account?

freddy

Banned
Wait, so you guys are telling me that they take down channels for trailers too?! Why!? Isn't that free publicity?! Will your game sell worse if they distributed a trailer? I don't get it, what's the reasoning behind this this!?

They want to control the context it's presented in as well. Meaning they don't want it included in a list of top ten garbage trailers of 2012, for example. It's more cost efficient to just control how you're trailer is shown yourself than to review and preview how each person will use it.

Aaron

Yes, copyright in the commercial entertainment space these days is really all about control. They want to control how people see something, and how they are introduced to something, and so on. The more closely they can "manage" the marketing of something directly, the better it is for them.
I blame Snakes on a Plane. Huge internet buzz, but because of the poor timing that buzz crested before the movie came out, and few people went to see it.

G-Fex

Wait who was around first? This guy seems to sound and act exactly like AVGN just not as entertaining,

obviously AVGN was first.

I think AVGN had a contest that spruned a lot of other reviewers. One being the happy video game nerd which is a pretty good show.

And the other....The Irate Gamer aka Chris Bores

http://youtu.be/1iiAapiwZbI

this guy needs his own thread

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow @ this thread. People who like AVGN calling other people "immature". Incredible!
Is there a prerequisite list of good taste that needs to be fulfilled before someone is able to call another person "immature"? If so, I had no idea, thanks for letting me know.

Eusis

Wow @ this thread. People who like AVGN calling other people "immature". Incredible!
Maturity is in how you act, not what you like. And saying "good riddance" to a channel being taken down because of obscene copyright protection isn't something I'd consider mature!

JebusF

Neo Member
Sometimes a gaming site will publish a trailer and then the automated system will automatically assume the gaming site owns the content and then removes the video from other people who upload the same trailer.

There are some really bad offenders of this, too. Some publishers send out a PR mail with a trailer they want you to post, which if you do so, then gets blocked.

Nowadays a lot of them just link to the video on their own channel.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm sure they'll restore his channel - he's too popular (and generates too much ad revenue) not to.

...I hope.

Amir0x

Banned
I never really cared for him, but that is fucking ridiculous to take down his videos if it is over something like copyright infringement on ancient videogames. I mean, christ.

Game Guru

Yeah, his videos on the Cinemassacre website are the junky GameTrailers ones, from how badly they are loading on my connection. And that player is crap because both Blip and Hulu load up better than it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Youtube is incredibly stupid with this stuff. People can file copyright strikes against a channel and even if they're bullshit a channel can be pulled if they have too many strikes. It'll surely be back up after disputing the claims, but youtube is way too quick on the trigger finger on issues like this and has no real support to contact about it.

I_don't_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore.jpg

Goldmund

Controlling the message is important. Do you really want to be left to your own devices while trying to find out what a game is like? No, of course you don't. You want your favorite video game website to give you a countdown to the next teaser trailer containing not a lick of gameplay, and that site's editor-in-chief teasing that countdown on his Twitter. Together we'll reveal things to you (other than what the game plays like) one by one, in a massively satisfying arch of suspense -- is this big-breasted character voiced by a celebrity?, you'll find out next time!

ScOULaris

What a bunch of diarrhea dog shit on a turd. YouTube had better reinstate his account. The appeals process is probably a lost cause for most people, however. Trying to communicate with YouTube is like trying to have a long-distance phone conversation with a broken-down ATM. Zero human interaction or customer support.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping it's not the insane "anti-Kickstarter" brigades that flagged his videos out of anger. I remember people saying they were going to flag some of them for "scamming".

Quackula

I'm hoping it's not the insane "anti-Kickstarter" brigades that flagged his videos out of anger. I remember people saying they were going to flag some of them for "scamming".

Someone linked a video earlier from someone bragging that they were finally successful in getting his account taken down. It called him a scammer and all that. That video seems to be gone now though.

What was that kickstart stuff all about anyway? I know people were mad about the Cheetahmen II thing for some reason but I'm not sure why.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Controlling the message is important. Do you really want to be left to your own devices while trying to find out what a game is like? No, of course you don't. You want your favorite video game website to give you a countdown to the next teaser trailer containing not a lick of gameplay, and that site's editor-in-chief teasing that countdown on his Twitter. Together we'll reveal things to you (other than what the game plays like) one by one, in a massively satisfying arch of suspense -- is this big-breasted character voiced by a celebrity?, you'll find out next time!

I hope it's Samuel L. Jackson.

Borman

Yup. It's like when movie studios take down trailer bootlegs or leaked material despite the buzz it generates.

Yep. Lost mine for posting Star Wars Battlefront III content. And yet, everyone that reuploaded my videos still have their accounts. Funny how it works.

BatDan

Someone linked a video earlier from someone bragging that they were finally successful in getting his account taken down. It called him a scammer and all that. That video seems to be gone now though.

What was that kickstart stuff all about anyway? I know people were mad about the Cheetahmen II thing for some reason but I'm not sure why.

A man called Greg Pabich wanted to release an "official' version of Cheetahmen II, he used Kickstarter to help fund it. He asked the Nerd, the Game Chasers, and Pat the NES Punk to help make a silly video promoting it. It was put on James channel (as well as Pat's) and since he's the most famous of the three, people started calling him a "scammer", an "e-begger" and all sorts of names. A lot of people didn't bother to research and thought James was getting the money. Mike had to do a shit-ton of damage control, right down to disabling the comments.

Before that though, James himself started an IndieGoGo for the movie. His goal was $50k, but by the end fans donated 325k. Some people were furious that despite reaching the goal, it kept going. Makes me wonder what these people think of the Double Fine Kickstarter exceeding its goal in a few hours.

One user called "TheArchfiend" took advantage of this, and like Fox News made multiple videos with distorted facts and lies. They reek of bitter jealousy.

Quackula

A man called Greg Pabich wanted to release an "official' version of Cheetahmen II, he used Kickstarter to help fund it. He asked the Nerd, the Game Chasers, and Pat the NES Punk to help make a silly video promoting it. It was put on James channel (as well as Pat's) and since he's the most famous of the three, people started calling him a "scammer", an "e-begger" and all sorts of names. A lot of people didn't bother to research and thought James was getting the money. Mike had to do a shit-ton of damage control, right down to disabling the comments.

Before that though, James himself started an IndieGoGo for the movie. His goal was $50k, but by the end fans donated 325k. Some people were furious that despite reaching the goal, it kept going. Makes me wonder what these people think of the Double Fine Kickstarter exceeding its goal in a few hours.

One user called "TheArchfiend" took advantage of this, and like Fox News made multiple videos with distorted facts and lies. They reek of bitter jealousy.

So basically a bunch of people who can't read were angry that other people were cool with donating money towards getting an official reprint of Cheetahmen II and decided to blame James for it?

I'm familiar with the Cheetahmen II kickstarter itself, and I knew that there was supposedly some sort of "controversy" about it, which didn't really make any sense to me. Even after reading all that it still doesn't make any sense. What on earth could possibly be controversial? :/

BatDan

So basically a bunch of people who can't read were angry that other people were cool with donating money towards getting an official reprint of Cheetahmen II and decided to blame James for it?

I'm familiar with the Cheetahmen II kickstarter itself, and I knew that there was supposedly some sort of "controversy" about it, which didn't really make any sense to me. Even after reading all that it still doesn't make any sense. What on earth could possibly be controversial? :/

It's controversial because people are loud, they're angry, and they want to find reasons to bitch and moan. This seemed perfect.

Irate Gamer is not funny. Seriously, there are better channels out there in the youtube land.

Whenever I see someone complain about an actual competent reviewer, I laugh knowing they're still leagues ahead of the Irate Gamer (and many others but that's another story).

Also, here's some fun facts.
IG often does contests where subscribers (not fans, subscribers) have to spam the video with "Pick Me" in the hopes of winning a prize. Rarely it's something decent like an iPod Nano or codes to the XBLA/PSN Burger Time game, but most of the time it's his own merchandise that obviously doesn't sell. He's actually complained that people are entering and NOT subscribed. It's obvious bait since subscribers = views and views = money.
And despite this, he still made a "parody" of "e-begging" where he mocked James, then proceeded to call him out for disabling comments even though if you look at most of his videos, the comments are disabled. Dat hypocrisy.

Top Bottom