• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube terminated jamesnintendonerd (AVGN) account?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I thought DMCA claims were made under the threat of perjury? If you don't own what you're claiming that is. Or am I mistaken?

Hehehehehehe Hahahahahahahaha AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ahem* Any troll can file a DMCA claim and it can still get taken down. That's how broken YouTube is.

McNum

Hehehehehehe Hahahahahahahaha AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ahem* Any troll can file a DMCA claim and it can still get taken down. That's how broken YouTube is.
Well, yes, but that's Youtube's interpretation. I'm fairly sure there is a penalty for false claims built into the actual law, it's just not used very often. I mean if you claim you own something, then you're claiming ownership, and doing that to something that's the property of someone else is bad.

It would be awesome to see a troll taken to court over something like this, but I doubt we'll ever see it. DMCA claims are missing a vital control that the one claiming actually owns it, at least on Youtube.

Patryn

Well, yes, but that's Youtube's interpretation. I'm fairly sure there is a penalty for false claims built into the actual law, it's just not used very often. I mean if you claim you own something, then you're claiming ownership, and doing that to something that's the property of someone else is bad.

It would be awesome to see a troll taken to court over something like this, but I doubt we'll ever see it. DMCA claims are missing a vital control that the one claiming actually owns it, at least on Youtube.

I believe that they're making changes to the system so that the person who gets their video taken down can challenge the takedown fairly easily, at which point the party making the complaint must either file legal papers against the video or remove their complaint.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
downloader.php

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bye

Not sure I care much. Didn't this guy get exposed multiple times for taking money from subscribers on broken promises?
Yup. The bastard stole my house, kids and Steam account. All I got in exchange is a copy of Cheetahmen 2.

What are you talking about?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
wait, so was there an actual video of him playing dark souls or were those comments a joke ?

I'm on his website but do not see a dark souls vid anywhere if true.

edit: nvr mind I should have watched the vid before posting a link wtf

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
And you're probably the biggest one if you haven't yet realized he's just a persona.

Exactly. James is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, Period. He has the greatest head on his shoulders out of any gamer I have ever known. The man deserves respect for what he's accomplished for the community.

My face was red with anger, which is quite amazing since my melanin has a reddish hue to it anyway.

We need to do something...

Any comment from the nerd yet? Because holy shit.

Edit: I believe we're in the wild west of the internet age. Shit is going to change... the government is making its way over.

Wow @ this thread. People who like AVGN calling other people "immature". Incredible!

You should be a sports announcer.

People saying this is good because they don't like AVGN are being short-sighted and aren't thinking about the possible repercussions on a larger scale.

McNum

I believe that they're making changes to the system so that the person who gets their video taken down can challenge the takedown fairly easily, at which point the party making the complaint must either file legal papers against the video or remove their complaint.
That makes some sense. At least, it's probably the best solution that's even remotely plausible. Once things get a paper trail, it gets interesting. Trolls will still be able to temporarily take a video offline, but what can you do? Trolls will always find a way to be annoying.

Still, it would be a step in the right direction.

Even though I'm not an AVGN fan, I prefer less scat humor in my video game content, I do have some sympathy towards this. Unless he did something really stupid and it's not actually a DMCA takedown, but some other Youtube terms of service that's at the root of this. But he's been in the game long enough to not do something like that, I'd think.

Fantasmo

They did this to Markiplier before he became MarkiplierGAME too. I wonder what the reason is. Shitty either way when they take it all down like you didn't exist!

Mindwipe

It's criticism/derivative work, so it's fair use.

Fair use is both much more vague and much more limited than a lot of people think.

It also doesn't apply outside of the US, but it's rare to see videos relying on it geo-restricted...

Sean

Banned
Its usually down to companies having their own channels these days so they want people to view trailers directly through them rather than a 3rd party channel and to do this they set in place content ID restrictions. Youtube is getting shittier every year.

I don't necessarily see why that makes YouTube shitty. There's a lot of crappy things about the site but this is one of the better things they've done IMO.

Many of the people who rip/reupload videos degrade the quality, don't bother to put a description, or clutter the video with 50 stupid annotations. And those accounts usually end up getting banned for various copyright reasons and then all the sites who embedded that trailer suddenly have broken links. It's also a pain in the ass for YouTube search (and the related videos sidebar) when it shows the same trailer a thousand times.

But most importantly you want all the discussion to happen in one place. It'd be like having 20 different threads for the same announcement on GAF, just silly.

Patryn

Google happened. Wasn't problematic at first but now you have to wonder...

The media companies were preparing to sue it out of existence before Google instituted these rules. Admittedly right now they're far too skewed towards the media companies but I have faith that things will improve given the bad publicity Google has been taking over it lately.

MrKaepora

Youtube is getting worse and worse as each day goes by. I hope James can get his videos back online because this is bullshit.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Interesting to see people blaming Youtube in this when out of the three parties involved they're the least to blame.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't necessarily see why that makes YouTube shitty. There's a lot of crappy things about the site but this is one of the better things they've done IMO.

Many of the people who rip/reupload videos degrade the quality, don't bother to put a description, or clutter the video with 50 stupid annotations. And those accounts usually end up getting banned for various copyright reasons and then all the sites who embedded that trailer suddenly have broken links. It's also a pain in the ass for YouTube search (and the related videos sidebar) when it shows the same trailer a thousand times.

But most importantly you want all the discussion to happen in one place. It'd be like having 20 different threads for the same announcement on GAF, just silly.

When a video gets pulled for being a repost of copyrighted material, the URL should redirect to the legitimate posting of the copyrighted material. Ta-da! 90% better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google happened. Wasn't problematic at first but now you have to wonder...

YouTube would be six feet under without Google's financial backing to keep them going until they became profitable, they were burning money like mad when they were bought.

Either that or someone like MS or Apple would have gotten them and put the kibosh on them (like Lala.)

Xater

If it turns out that you allow ads on your youtube account then you're essentially making money off someone else's work. It's not "free publicity" if you're being paid (no matter how small the amount).

It's still free publicity for the film/game. Whoever made the trailer already got paid.

I have some serious issues with how videos are being handled on Youtube especially big companies.

Carnby

This was found on reddit. I'm not sure what it means. But apparently someone purposely got AVGN's account removed.

avgn_zps7cd77aff.png

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

Na I don't mean the use of that is making the site shit, I've used it myself plenty of times due to people stealing my videos but can be easily abused. When I mean the site is shittier it's due to the new site changes in terms of design and functions. On a private forum YouTube staff are always looking for feedback from us partners to improve the site but when the changes roll out they are the opposite of what we requested.

Top Bottom