• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zara to stop selling shirt resembling Holocaust "uniform", will "exterminate them"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../zara-stops-selling-holocaust-shirt/14671937/

BwArBSqCUAAgXcc.jpg

Fashion retailer Zara has pulled a toddler's shirt after people complained online that it looked like a Holocaust prisoner's uniform.

"We honestly apologize. The T-shirt was inspired by the sheriff's stars from the Classic Western films and is no longer in our stores," Zara tweeted Wednesday.

@zh1nt0 We honestly apologize, the T Shirt was inspired by the sheriff’s stars from the Classic Western films and is no longer in our stores
— ZARA (@ZARA) August 27, 2014

The shirt has blue and white stripes and the word "sheriff" over a yellow star on the front.

"The Zara version sports horizontal rather than vertical stripes. However, the shirt bears a large six-pointed star on the upper-left section, in the exact place where Nazis forced Jews to wear the Star of David," according to Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper.

Tweeters criticized the Spanish company for its insensitivity.

"Someone at @ZARA is about to get fired.. and their boss.. and their boss... #disgusting," one person tweeted.

"Think Holocaust is fashionable? This is a total disgrace," someone else tweeted.

It's not the first time Zara has faced criticism for poor judgment. In 2007, the retailer pulled a handbag with a swastika design. (Swastikas are also historically known as a religious symbol for peace in Buddhism and Hinduism.)

Zara also came under fire this month for a T-shirt with the phrase "White is the new black" on the front, which some read as racially insensitive.

some of their other hits

Bu2HXKtCUAAQJE7.jpg

_44125518_bag_other_203b.jpg

Also, from their response in Hebrew?

BwDV2auIEAEr3b3.png

The exact Hebrew word is “ויושמדו.” While it can also be translated as “will be destroyed,” hashmada is the exact word used to describe the Nazi genocidal practices – for example, Mahanot haHashmada, extermination camps. And since this is the precise issue on which the apology is being offered, few Israeli readers would miss the connotation. You’d think Zara would take the time to thumb through a thesaurus, or something.
http://972mag.com/nstt_feeditem/zara-apologizes-says-yellow-star-shirts-will-be-exterminated/

Good job!

RevoDS

That has to be on purpose, some kind of joke by a bored employee.

It's unfortunate, but actually hilarious at the same time that they'd be so inconsiderate.

Fuchsdh

Looks like they just took a normal striped shirt and added the badge.

I don't think they were intentionally going for anything here. It's just a bad coincidence.

Cagey

Banned
I heard about this on the radio and figured someone was exaggerating things . . . but . . .

Holy shit!
KuGsj.gif
How did that get approved?

I clicked on the thread and was expecting to go "meh really" and then saw the picture in the OP and burst out laughing at how absurd the shirt is. So much worse than I expected.

dani_dc

I can only guess that someone suggested this as a tasteless gag, some ignorant higher ups thought it was a good design not realizing it's significance, and then no one had the guts to go "... guys, really?" in fear of being fired.

That's the only explanation that I can even come up with for this to make sense.

NinjaBoiX

"Woah, it's just like it but the stripes are much closer together, horizontal rather than vertical and, you know, it's not a shirt.

But woah right?"

Ridiculous conclusion jumping. Some people just love to find something to complain about.

NinjaBoiX

This is far closer to the uniform in question:

rqX2VuO.jpg

But you know what? I bet this is just a blue and white stripey garment with absolutely zero ill intent too.

That's kind of unfortunate, it's a cute piece of clothing.

Whats wrong with this? Why do westerners get so uppity about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/卍

Its a religious symbol, that just because the Nazis used it, has no evil significance.

Symbols are given meaning (significance) through their use and the associations given to them, it's remarkably naive to believe that the Nazi movement didn't infuse that symbol with their own beliefs, and by the rest of the world by what they believed the Nazis meant with it.

Sorry but there is just no comparison between them, it's just outrage for the sake of outrage, zara shouldn't have taken them off the shelves

mantidor

Symbols are like language. Meanings can change with time and location. Sorry but in the western world the Swastika is unacceptable.

This is exaggerated, I get symbols changing meanings but banning symbols altogether is absurd.

Besides, we live in a globalized world, far more people associate swastikas with Buddhism than with nazis. We should stop being so eurocentric.

Ok that shirt is pretty tasteless.

I doubt the designer actually knew the meaning of it (kids these days knows shit about stuff) but still

TUSR

Banned
I see a sheriff's badge and horizontal equally spaced stripes. the placement and size of the star i think is the problem.

does the star of david have balls at the end of its points?

they could have made a way less ambiguous shape for the badge but this is just a hilarious clash of tension and thoughtlessness.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Seems like this has less to do with the stripes and everything to do with the star on the side.
A search on Google does not lead to any images of people in concentration camp uniforms with stars on them. Some have nothing, others a downturned triangle, but no star.
Edit: I see an image above with stars in the same location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom