• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U no longer coming march 2017?

- People that already have a Wii U will only pay $60 to play the game.

- People that don't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

- Going for the NX + Zelda version will cost $470.

People who haven't bought a Wii U yet probably aren't going to, Zelda or not. With the new shiny console and the same game, especially. If the NX is more successful and generates hype out of the gate, along with Zelda, they're going to buy the console not just for Zelda. You're getting a brand new gaming console; you're acting like people would be spending $500 just to get Zelda. That's not how it works. Perhaps it would be a great incentive to grab the NX, it would certainly make the launch better, but this is not a simple matter of paying $260 v $460 or however much the NX/Zelda together will cost.

Neoxon

Are you sure about that? Because I can most definitely see people going on about how it's underpowered compared to the PS4/X1 revised hardware. Hell, even if those weren't getting revised hardware and it was in the PS4/X1 ballpark, we'd still look at it as a console that came out 3 years after those and not much more, if more powerful at all.

As far as third party support, that's a whole 'nother thing. I'm strictly talking pricing vs. specs. :p
Not if the NX Console is affordable.

Not if the NX Console is affordable.

If people get what they want (great specs) it's going to cost closer to a Playstation or Xbox than what they're used to paying for Nintendo systems. I guess my question is, would people ask for very powerful hardware, which they are, but then scoff at a higher price?

If the NX doesn't have a second screen, I could see myself buying the Wii U version even if I also buy an NX console at launch (which I undoubtably will because I <3 Nintendo).

Zelda games REALLY benefit from having an secondary touch screen. It's super convent for glancing down at the map, switching items, etc.

Diffense

I couldn't, lol

I don't think Wii U owners should be treated with some high respect just because the console was a failure. There were plenty of good games (if you're a fan of Nintendo's IP's) and Zelda is still coming out. It's possible that Zelda would have been out sooner if it weren't being (presumably) aligned for the NX launch, but Zelda games usually take a while to get out. A 2-3 year wait for a Zelda game after the initial announcement is not uncommon.

If the Wii U were more successful this would be a different narrative, and that is on Nintendo. However, I don't believe in the "poor Wii U owners..." philosophy.

Where did I say Wii U owners deserve high respect because the console was a failure? Where did I even say that I was not happy with the Wii U. So why are you telling me how many good games came out for it? That is quite a feat of putting words in someone's mouth.

I wasn't wishing for a Wii U Zelda because "I deserve it". Nintendo promised and failed to deliver twice while we now discover, as suspected, that another console has become the primary platform. Since the Wii version will clearly be playable by E3 it would be a nice gesture to allow players at home to get a taste of the game either through a download or even at certain stores (as Nintendo has done before). Not sure where I was demanding "high respect" with that post. That's quite a leap.

Where did I say Wii U owners deserve high respect because the console was a failure? Where did I even say that I was not happy with the Wii U. So why are you telling me how many good games came out for it? That is quite a feat of putting words in someone's mouth.

Your post seemed to imply that Nintendo should do "something" for Wii U owners because of the Zelda delays. It just gave me that same sense of "we should be entitled!" that I see often. If you meant something else, my apologies.

Does anyone actually believe NX will come out in March?

I have no freaking idea because Nintendo is impossible to predict, but I would just like to point out that, generally speaking, up until a week ago most of Neogaf seemed 100% convinced that the NX was launching in 2016.

Not

Banned
It kind of makes sense that they're treating this Zelda as mainly an NX title now, since Skyward Sword didn't do that well as a late-life Wii game and TP did fantastic as a system launch game.

I really, really think it would be great if it came out in March. I got Wind Waker for my birthday in 2003 around then and it basically got me into Zelda, and now it's my favorite franchise.

It kind of makes sense that they're treating this Zelda as mainly an NX title now, since Skyward Sword didn't do that well as a late-life Wii game and TP did fantastic as a system launch game.

Coupled with the Wii U being an actual failure... yeah. I think circumstances and growing ambition is what led to the delays. They're not trying to mess with people, just looking at what the best thing would be for the game and their sales.

Honestly, and it's like this every time, but this is all kneejerk negativity. When they show Zelda at E3 and it looks amazeballs which it will, we'll forget about it. And then when they show NX and it gets closer to launch, nobody will give a fuck about any of this anymore.

But they delayed it, what are you gonna do, right? It's perfectly understandable though that people think it will be a NX launch title, so that's why it's so odd that they just said 2017. My hope is that they announce it as a March game during E3, but no expectations here.

They have their own press event to worry about launch dates, the easiest thing to do is just blanket reveal it all by then and not set a date months beforehand in case problems arise.

Peltz

I must have missed the memo that went over how the NX was delayed. Isn't March 2017 the first release date that we have officially gotten? Even if they had internally intended for it to be out this November or whatever, they never made any public announcement that it would be.
Quoted for truth.

Not sure why people are arguing that the hardware will be delayed.

Diffense

Your post seemed to imply that Nintendo should do "something" for Wii U owners because of the Zelda delays. It just gave me that same sense of "we should be entitled!" that I see often. If you meant something else, my apologies.

It's not unprecedented for nintendo to "do something" either. The ambassador program was an example where they threw early adopters a bone after suddenly slashing the 3DS price. Clearly they weren't obligated but it doesn't hurt to make your customers feel a little better. I'm pretty sure that announcing the chance for people at home to play a small Zelda demo would earn Nintendo quite a bit of goodwill and complement their decision to make Zelda the centerpiece of E3.

It was never said it's March 2017.

The website dudes put this up because of whatever reason.

I wouldn't read much into it, but Internet needs it's dose of drama.

It's not unprecedented for nintendo to "do something" either. The ambassador program was an example where they threw early adopters a bone after suddenly slashing the 3DS price. Clearly they weren't obligated but it doesn't hurt to make your customers feel a little better.

Right, but this isn't a similar scenario, where they made people pay more and then suddenly cut the price because they made a mistake. That was a legitimate fuck up. A delayed game isn't quite on that level :p

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe Zelda Wii U NX' story is being written by George R. R. Martin.

Persona7

Banned
It was never said it's March 2017.

The website dudes put this up because of whatever reason.

I wouldn't read much into it, but Internet needs it's dose of drama.

Apparently the press website stated march 2017 and then they just switched it to 2017? I didn't actually see it so I don't know.

Apparently the press website stated march 2017 and then they just switched it to 2017? I didn't actually see it so I don't know.
Yes, because it's probably managed by some NoA-dude(s) (or a 3rd Party) and there has been some misunderstandings.

The release paper has it as 2017 and that's important.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427_4e.pdf
hhgtht7u84.jpg

MK_768

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad one.

- People that already have a Wii U will only pay $60 to play the game.

- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

- Going for the NX + Zelda version will cost $470.

Because it's one good reason to get the NX...especially if you skipped Wii U.

So Zelda is the new Mighty No. 9.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped it from the WiiU completely but kept the same last gen graphics for the NX.

This game is officially off my radar until something significant is shown and solid release date info (date and day) is announced.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped it from the WiiU completely but kept the same last gen graphics for the NX.

This game is officially off my radar until something significant is shown and solid release date info (date and day) is announced.

What?...

Ok guys im confused. Are you saying that Zelda was never given a march date, or that the NX never got a march date? Someone misreported?

The former. Zelda never had a March date, although considering the NX launches in March, it's pretty much a given that they'll launch simultaneously. Considering Zelda was already set for a 2016 launch, I really, really doubt this move arose from any serious development problems, and is just meant to capitalize on the NX launch.

Hell, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went bankrupt and had to Kickstart the rest of development for the Ouya.

maxcriden

Yes but the truth still is that the game could not be a launch game and they are going to e3 with just one game that could come after tele months later or more

So just like every other company that shows games at E3 that are not releasing for 12-24+ months, then &#128521;

BTW, no real indication that Nintendo will only show off Zelda at E3, just that it will be the only playable game they have there.

tauroxd

Given that march is the majority of a year away, I do.

I'll change my mind if we've got nothing by august.

You won't see anything about the NX by August. Kimishima said they will talk about the NX late in the year, so October, November are the safe bets.

Kinsei

Banned
You won't see anything about the NX by August. Kimishima said they will talk about the NX late in the year, so October, November are the safe bets.

I think September is the best bet. Showing off a console for the first time less than six months before launch seems like a bad idea.

ika

I wonder if all the Zelda delays are a reaction to the post-witcher 3 world. That game shook up the open world sphere so much that maybe Aonuma realized you can't just make some generico open world with generic "collect as many scattered about skulltulas", "collect as many scattered about poes", "cut grass, break post, open chests to collect rupees" sidequest-ettes anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the game will have gone through a massive overhaul between early-ish 2015 and late 2017.

(not saying every game should be like the Witcher 3, just that the Witcher 3 has immense scope, detail and care put into it and has objectively set a new benchmark when it comes to open world games. It wouldn't surprise me if devs think some open world design crutches wont fly with gamers anymore and maybe Aonuma is making some heavy adjustments to the game)

First delay was surely because Aonuma saw Xenoblade X world map, not Witcher 3... :p Very probable MonolithSoft are aiding Zelda team with the game as soon as stye finished its game.

Honestly March is way too awkward a time period, I mean sure it's the best after winter, but a march release pretty much guarantee's low momentum for console unless it's a lightning in a bottle which is unlikely. They're better off releasing in winter again using E3 2017 to hype the console and consolidate all launch and post release titles.

Not for Europe:
Nintendo 64 launch date for EU: mach 1, 1997
Nintendo GameCube launch date for EU: may 3, 2001
Nintendo DS launch date for EU: march 11, 2005

Also, Nintendo 3DS worldwide (feb-march. 2011)

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I doubt NX is hitting march either way so it would make sense that the Wii-U release of the NX's flagship launch title would also be delayed.

This better be a massive jump over the PS4 if it is going to be coming late 2017

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;202285415 said:
Here's a larger image, just for reference:

zelda20171ep2f.png

Note that Golin handles much of this press site, so the mention of March 2017 was likely a miscommunication between Golin and Nintendo.
Why, hello there, print-res Zelda artwork!

Top Bottom