• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U no longer coming march 2017?

Kouriozan

The E3 2016 has become even more embarassing than before.
I am now pretty sure the nx and Zelda delayed out of the holiday was caused by hw issues, otherwise if it was planned they would have skipped e3 entirely (as many other companies are doing)

Yeah, they reserved that huge floor space just for Zelda and some 3rd party games?
Hard to believe it.

TheJoRu

The official word is "2017". The "March 2017"-listing was a mistake, and thus it was changed. It has no bearing on whether the game is coming in March 2017 or not.

trixx

Is this game in developmemt hell? Just release the game so wii u owners can eat their last meal and release the game again with better graphics or whatever on the NX, or is the NX a handheld?

I'm talking about the game not the console.

Well they're doing this for the console, and wii version of twilight princess is the second best selling Zelda game, and the best selling if you count GameCube and wii together, soooo......

Is this game in developmemt hell? Just release the game so wii u owners can eat their last meal and release the game again with better graphics or whatever on the NX, or is the NX a handheld?

They're doing a huge blowout for it in a month, it's far from development hell, and the game was never announced for March 2017, it was a mistake that people latched onto.

Bsigg12

Yeah, they reserved that huge floor space just for Zelda and some 3rd party games?
Hard to believe it.

I am now pretty sure the nx and Zelda delayed out of the holiday was caused by hw issues, otherwise if it was planned they would have skipped e3 entirely (as many other companies are doing)

It's doubtful a hardware manufacturer will step out of the show floor at E3. If they were to not go this year, they would lose the space they have had for the last few years and be relegated to something else and probably not nearly as large.

Diffense

I'm talking about the game not the console.

Not sure what you mean. TP is one of the best-selling Zeldas...up there with Oot. There seems to be a misconception that the game didn't sell well based on the terrible revisionist opinion on GAF that TP was a bad game despite a 95 metacritic score. Over 1 million bought it for the Gamecube and over 7 million for the Wii. They certainly weren't hurt by making TP a Wii launch title and also releasing it on Gamecube.

Seriously, what was the last console to get a big delay? There really is nothing to base claims like this on other than massive pessimism.

I think it's a combination of people still feeling burned by it not coming in 2016 (even though Nintendo never said it was) and console launches not happening in March before.

I mean there is no way to justify it making sense for Nintendo to push this thing back. None.

Last console to get pushed in any major way was the N64, but that was due to a lot of chip issues and the fact that they constantly kept changing hardware specs leading up to its launch.

prag16

Banned
I guess they maybe want to push NX.

I doubt NX is hitting march either way so it would make sense that the Wii-U release of the NX's flagship launch title would also be delayed.

Here are just two of the numerous posts asserting this. Based on what exactly?

They already told the investors it's coming in March. That's be a bit of a no-no if they let it slip past that. Telling investors something isn't the same as telling the press or the public.

And being frustrating.

And not every delayed Nintendo game is great.

I want Zelda just as much as anyone else. But even if it makes 2017, it'll still be within 2-3 years of its first reveal, and that's relatively typical for major titles. When it comes to not every game delayed by Nintendo not being great, that's personal opinions, and not every game is Zelda. They obviously want this to be huge, and the console it was originally being developed for was a massive failure. Shit happens.

I'm not frustrated by delays. I'm frustrated by games I'm super hyped for not delivering.

ReyVGM

Didn't Nintendo say that the Wii U & NX versions would release simultaneously?

Didn't Nintendo say Zelda U was going to release in 2015? And 2016? Plans change all the time.

This listing is for the Wii U Zelda, not the NX Zelda. It's easy to see the parallels with what they did with Twilight Princess. They removed the March date because the Wii U version will not release in March. The NX version will though, assuming the NX really does come out in March.

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad one.

- People that already have a Wii U will only pay $60 to play the game.

- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

- Going for the NX + Zelda version will cost $470.

No way NX launches at $400.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would be highly surprised if Zelda U didn't come to the NX at launch. Even if they had a major Mario title and ported over games like Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker it would still be beneficial to have Zelda as well. Having a big game like that available at launch would likely do a lot more for its sales than holding it until the holidays, the NX sales as well.

I think they definitely planned on revealing the system at E3. You don't rent all that space out just for Zelda lol. Maybe the AMD rumor is true with the problem they had, but there had to be a problem somewhere because earlier this year Nintendo had Zelda U releasing in 2016 in their Nintendo Direct.

Hardware or software issues for the NX probably ended pushing it back if they intended to release it this holiday.

Seriously, what was the last console to get a big delay? There really is nothing to base claims like this on other than massive pessimism.

When was the last Nintendo home console not to receive an exclusive Zelda game? Recieved wisdom, and what's come before are not always a good indicator of what Nintendo will do.

Honestly, we're in uncharted waters. The Wii U era has given us a few surprises, and some expect the NX to continue that, with both good and bad.

Diffense

Regarding the Zelda delay, I'm quite understanding of the situation but I'm still a little bit miffed that we aren't getting Zelda earlier because they decided to make an NX version. Yes, I know they said it was delayed for "quality reasons" but I think almost everyone agrees that they're not going to release the Wii U version before the NX version so the timetable is dictated by the NX launch window.

Granted, it makes sense. The new Zelda game has been in development for a while and could be a big deal while the Wii U is dead and its userbase is small. However, it's still a fact that Wii U owners are getting a raw deal. The Wii U version will be playable at E3 so we could probably have it this year, as promised, if it weren't for Nintendo's business decisions. While I understand the rationale and would probably have recommended the same thing as a decision-maker, as a Wii U owner it's still a little irritating.

They should do someathing for Wii U owners ... like giving them a downloadable demo during E3. I could see Iwata's Nintendo doing something like that.

They should do someathing for Wii U owners ... like giving them a downloadable demo during E3. I could see Iwata's Nintendo doing something like that.

I couldn't, lol

I don't think Wii U owners should be treated with some high respect just because the console was a failure. There were plenty of good games (if you're a fan of Nintendo's IP's) and Zelda is still coming out. It's possible that Zelda would have been out sooner if it weren't being (presumably) aligned for the NX launch, but Zelda games usually take a while to get out. A 2-3 year wait for a Zelda game after the initial announcement is not uncommon.

If the Wii U were more successful this would be a different narrative, and that is on Nintendo. However, I don't believe in the "poor Wii U owners..." philosophy.

Champion

Its almost as if some of you thought there would be no long term consequences for how badly they messed up with the Wii U.

When was the last Nintendo home console not to receive an exclusive Zelda game? Recieved wisdom, and what's come before are not always a good indicator of what Nintendo will do.

Honestly, we're in uncharted waters. The Wii U era has given us a few surprises, and some expect the NX to continue that, with both good and bad.

Not really, hardware design and software design are much different. Not saying they aren't susceptible to similar issues, but hardware is much more stable and the parts will more than likely be pretty off the shelf. The Wii U has been a shit show sales wise, a game taking forever to get done doesn't change how hardware design is done and comparing them is kinda silly.

I must have missed the memo that went over how the NX was delayed. Isn't March 2017 the first release date that we have officially gotten? Even if they had internally intended for it to be out this November or whatever, they never made any public announcement that it would be.

I must have missed the memo that went over how the NX was delayed. Isn't March 2017 the first release date that we have officially gotten? Even if they had internally intended for it to be out this November or whatever, they never made any public announcement that it would be.
It's not delayed. Nintendo never said when they planned on releasing the NX prior their meeting so you're right about that.

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad
- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260 .

I'm in this situation and yeah no..I'm not buying a dead console like Wii U. I will buy the better version on NX like the majority of people.

mrmickfran

How did we go from absolute certainty that this would release in 2015, to not even knowing when it would launch in 2017?

It's not delayed. Nintendo never said when they planned on releasing the NX prior their meeting so you're right about that.

I guess this is why I'm having a hard time understanding all the dire attitudes. I mean, it's Nintendo so endless complaining isn't out of the ordinary, I'm just trying to look at things from a level-headed perspective.

Top Bottom