• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U no longer coming march 2017?

Astral Dog

When was the last Nintendo home console not to receive an exclusive Zelda game? Recieved wisdom, and what's come before are not always a good indicator of what Nintendo will do.

Honestly, we're in uncharted waters. The Wii U era has given us a few surprises, and some expect the NX to continue that, with both good and bad.

people should just expect more changes as HD development affects Nintendo, not just Wii U, even with the sales the system still has a Zelda game designed for it, along with two remasters and an spin off, thats the answer Nintendo has to fill the gaps as the development becomes longer and more expensive.

all things considered Zelda being a multiplatform release is a small thing. and good for both Wii U and NX owners.

Because Nintendo isn't in a position where they can ask for a large amount of money for their system, especially when third party support (specifically from western publishers) is far from a guarantee.

Okay-- and I don't even disagree!

That being said, it's going to be a fucking shitstorm yet again when their console is "underpowered" compared to the Playstation Agent Smith. If they pandered to folk who complained about this, wouldn't the price be higher if they did release a more powerful console than usual? If the specs are up, so is the price, and we know the hardware is likely to be some kind of new tech or whatever.

The Wii U's specs weren't all that, but the game pad alone had the price at $300 at launch. I can't imagine the NX not being that or higher. $300 is kind of what I expect, but if they do at all, again, pander to the folks who need those high spec numbers, it's going to be a Wii U repeat and I doubt they want that.

Not

Banned
I imagine this would give them an excuse to keep delaying it without technically delaying it.

All I'm saying is the NX and Zelda both better own.

At this point Aonuma and co. gotta prove like never before that a delayed game won't be bad forever, lol

Rösti;202285415 said:
Here's a larger image, just for reference:

zelda20171ep2f.png

Note that Golin handles much of this press site, so the mention of March 2017 was likely a miscommunication between Golin and Nintendo.

I'll just take his word for it at this point.

Not really, hardware design and software design are much different. Not saying they aren't susceptible to similar issues, but hardware is much more stable and the parts will more than likely be pretty off the shelf. The Wii U has been a shit show sales wise, a game taking forever to get done doesn't change how hardware design is done and comparing them is kinda silly.

I wasn't comparing them, just the ability of company to go against what history dictates should be expected.

But, if I were, I'd argue that the software and hardware development are routinely interlinked when it comes to modern Nintendo. They know they need to showcase the hardware and its associated hook to the best degree this time - rectifying the early mistakes of the Wii U - and they do that through dedicated software. And then there's the fact that Kimishima said that NX was launching then to make sure there were enough games, so the link between software and hardware is more than tenuous.

If you want hardware examples that defy rationalism and precedents though, when was the last time a home console launched without at least one major territory being in the holiday season? The last time a handheld was boxed without a charger? The last time a bombing console didn't receive a major price cut?

They may not be using off the shelf components either. In short, I think there are far too many variables - and Nintendo has a checkered enough history when it comes to unforeseen decisions and delays - to dismiss the projections of a holiday 2017 date for either NX or Zelda as merely unfounded pessimism.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, for those who didn't read this before:

- Nintendo officially announced NX for March 2017 through its channels
- Nintendo officially announced through its channels that Zelda was delayed for a "vague" 2017, and releasing on both Wii U and NX
- the press site had, for a few days, Zelda listed as March 2017, and now it's 2017.

So, my take from this is that

- Nintendo NEVER officially announced the exact month of Zelda's release: there are big chances it's a launch game of the platform, but they didn't say it yet because, otherwise, it would've been rather obvious the reason of the delay, instead of "quality reasons"
- The press site mention of March 2017 was probably an error, because this is NOT what Nintendo announced, and it got recently fixed
- Also, the thread's title is wrong because Nintendo NEVER officially announced the game for March 2017, just for March. It's just the press site where it was listed (probably as an error) for March 2017, nowhere else. It would've been way more accurate if it specified it was about the press site alone, since it was the only place where it was listed for March 2017. This title gives the impression Nintendo officially announced the game for March 2017, when it actually NEVER happened

I hope this is clear enough for everyone around here.

LMAO. It hasn't even been March for a week. At this rate, it will be 2019 next month.

So since the website had it at March for a couple of days and then took it back to just 2017, that means we're in for more numerous delays? It means nothing. It could even still be on track for that, seeing as it's likely an NX launch title, but a website alteration means nothing.

maxcriden

They never said, by official channels, it was going to be March 2017. Just 2017. So, what happened is that the press site put "March 2017" by error, and then it was edited into "2017" since that's the info released by official Nintendo channels to the press.

Also, the hyperboles already in this thread (like "Don't believe Nintendo anymore" and "NX is gonna be Holiday 2017, it'll never it March") are downright histerical and they literally hurt my brain, sorry. There is criticism, there is pessimism, and there is cosmic, insane, brain-damaging, flat out Asylum-worthy mass histeria.

Excellent summary as always, my friend. ☺

Edit: and an even better one just a few posts above me!

I mean considering someone else handles the press site, I wouldn't doubt there would be miscommunication between them and Nintendo proper. Literally everywhere but the press site didn't put a month on the year.

This. Dont trust them never again. Never.

GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF TODD. YOU'RE LETTING YOUR EMOTIONS RULE YOU.

Neoxon

Okay-- and I don't even disagree!

That being said, it's going to be a fucking shitstorm yet again when their console is "underpowered" compared to the Playstation Agent Smith. If they pandered to folk who complained about this, wouldn't the price be higher if they did release a more powerful console than usual? If the specs are up, so is the price, and we know the hardware is likely to be some kind of new tech or whatever.

The Wii U's specs weren't all that, but the game pad alone had the price at $300 at launch. I can't imagine the NX not being that or higher. $300 is kind of what I expect, but if they do at all, again, pander to the folks who need those high spec numbers, it's going to be a Wii U repeat and I doubt they want that.
As long as the NX Console is within the PS4 & XB1's ballpark, Nintendo should be fine. Remember, even with the PS4K on the way, developers still have to support the original PS4.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have no doubt that Zelda WiiU would have been ready for a 2016 release if not for the NX delay. I think that will become very apparent once E3 comes and goes.

My main worry at this point is that the NX won't be ready for a March 2017 launch, forcing a finished Zelda to sit on the burner for a year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what they intend to launch the system with. Probably a Mario platformer or something at this point unless it's just going to be the Smash port.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder what they intend to launch the system with. Probably a Mario platformer or something at this point unless it's just going to be the Smash port.

Read my summary Nirolak a few posts earlier Nirolak, it sums up the situation quite well. Nintendo has yet to officially announce the game's release month, this does not tell us it won't come at launch.

-Horizon-

So, for those who didn't read this before:

- Nintendo officially announced NX for March 2017 through its channels
- Nintendo officially announced through its channels that Zelda was delayed for a "vague" 2017, and releasing on both Wii U and NX
- the press site had, for a few days, Zelda listed as March 2017, and now it's 2017.

So, my take from this is that

- Nintendo NEVER officially announced the exact month of Zelda's release: there are big chances it's a launch game of the platform, but they didn't say it yet because, otherwise, it would've been rather obvious the reason of the delay, instead of "quality reasons"
- The press site mention of March 2017 was probably an error, because this is NOT what Nintendo announced, and it got recently fixed
- Also, the thread's title is wrong because Nintendo NEVER officially announced the game for March 2017, just for March. It's just the press site where it was listed (probably as an error) for March 2017, nowhere else. It would've been way more accurate if it specified it was about the press site alone, since it was the only place where it was listed for March 2017. This title gives the impression Nintendo officially announced the game for March 2017, when it actually NEVER happened

I hope this is clear enough for everyone around here.

Yeah, it honestly sounds like a miscommunication.

CronoShot

So Zelda is finished enough for an E3 blowout.
NX isn't ready enough for even a tiny glimpse.

And yet Zelda is scheduled to come out after NX?

NX is so getting delayed. I bet that March 2017 date was entirely for their investors to not completely lose it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Move it over entirely to NX then release the console, wait for it to sell to early adopters Nintendo fans then announce the WiiU version is cancelled. Drama avoided.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Excellent summary as always, my friend. ☺

Edit: and an even better one just a few posts above me!

Yes but the truth still is that the game could not be a launch game and they are going to e3 with just one game that could come after tele months later or more

As long as the NX Console is within the PS4 & XB1's ballpark, Nintendo should be fine. Remember, even with the PS4K on the way, developers still have to support the original PS4.

Are you sure about that? Because I can most definitely see people going on about how it's underpowered compared to the PS4/X1 revised hardware. Hell, even if those weren't getting revised hardware and it was in the PS4/X1 ballpark, we'd still look at it as a console that came out 3 years after those and not much more, if more powerful at all.

As far as third party support, that's a whole 'nother thing. I'm strictly talking pricing vs. specs. :p

I hope you're right. How many more people can Nintendo piss off with this game?

Every single person who is interested in this game will purchase it, even if it's delayed five more times.

The Last Guardian was supposed to launch like six years ago. Guess what? Everyone still wants it.

Don't know why people are freaking out about this. It seems pretty apparent that they didn't want to label Zelda with March 2017 in order to mask the fact that it was pushed to be an NX launch title. We already know the game is in the final stages of development, as indicated by Aonuma's recent comments that he was writing and checking text in the game, just like he did toward the end of SS, not to mention the upcoming E3 blowout. This sounds just like a PR move to avoid outright indicating that the Wii U's swang song is going to be the NX's forward guard. Comparisons to TLG, however amusing, seem pretty unwarranted.

I fully expect that 3D Mario was on target to launch this Fall, 3 years after 3D World. And now they delayed it to launch with the NX early next year.

Not

Banned
Every single person who is interested in this game will purchase it, even if it's delayed five more times.

The Last Guardian was supposed to launch like six years ago. Guess what? Everyone still wants it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm buying the bundle, but I'll still have lingering ethereal feelings of resentment about it

Not

Banned

Huh? What? I'm just messing around. Did I come off as serious?

Aw man, you quoted my "latent" before I could change it to "lingering." Now everyone will know I can't express my tongue-in-cheek Nintendo fanboy ramblings with the proper word usage :(

This thread:
Office-Space-Jump-Conclusions.jpg

It wasn't even announced as coming in March 2017, only regular 2017.
The date on the Nintendo site was most probably corrected to reflect that statement.
Everything is still possible, guys.

Seik

Banned
Maybe they'll do just like TP Wii/GC and release on the Wii U a month later, to push NX sales.

Worked for me. :lol

It's absolutely ridiculous in the first place how they are handling this shit, they seemed so sure about that 2015 release and when that didn't happen they seemed real sure about this year. Well we all know how that went. The NX however gets a concrete March release while Zelda is just 2017.

Did they ever have it listed as March 2017?

Did they ever have it listed as March 2017?

The likely case is that the party involved in editing the press site misunderstood the release date of Zelda as simultaneous of the NX, instead of just listing what PR had been saying, and Nintendo only got them to correct it like 3 days later.

It's been 3 fucking days people, keep your pants on.

The likely case is that the party involved in editing the press site misunderstood the release date of Zelda as simultaneous of the NX, instead of just listing what PR had been saying, and Nintendo only got them to correct it like 3 days later.

It's been 3 fucking days people, keep your pants on.

Yeah but the thing is, people are tired of waiting so damn long for a new Zelda and they don't like broken promises, i sure don't. It seemed so sure that it was coming out this year, because of Zelda's anniversary and all.

But they delayed it, what are you gonna do, right? It's perfectly understandable though that people think it will be a NX launch title, so that's why it's so odd that they just said 2017. My hope is that they announce it as a March game during E3, but no expectations here.

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad one.

- People that already have a Wii U will only pay $60 to play the game.

- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

- Going for the NX + Zelda version will cost $470.

Twilight Princess is literally the best selling Zelda game ever, it outdid even Ocarina.

So yes, they very much want to repeat that. And you absolutely don't know what an NX will cost, so putting a pricetag on it+Zelda is rediculous.

Top Bottom