• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games [2-pack] announced (PS4/Vita, Spring 2017)

Jawmuncher

Surprise, you're going to. And this release is going to be on 1 cart.

There's absolutely no reason for them to need to do otherwise. This port is targeted more towards people who want to get into the series after seeing/hearing about ZTD, and making it easy for them. Not for handful of people who are OCPD and want each game in its own Vita box so they can feel self-satisfied in completing some arbitrary "collection."

I don't mind having to own another copy. But it would be nice if I didn't have too. Since owning another copy of a game I already own is going to obviously bring the price up on this. Like I get the "so people can get into ZTD". But in that case vita wise VLR is still on vita. So to me it would make more sense to have a standalone vita release of 999. Since VLR is still easily found for around 20 new.

The same thing happened with Yomawari on Vita recently. The only way to get a physical copy in English was to buy the two pack that included Firefly's Diary, which I already owned.

Yeah it's just a bit odd.

From what I get, it's made as 1 game, both on a single cart with a shared trophy list, if the Steam version is anything to go on.

I already wasn't happy about having to rebuy VLR, but if it's a single trophy list then I'm going to straight pass.
Would have been cool to have a 999 plat but I'm not replaying VLR.

Did you black-out at the finale or what?

His motives were explained loud and clear.
It was to make sure he was born from Sigma and Diana, and to get them all together to stop the religious fanatic.

Not so complex, huh?

The problem is that this is one of the dumbest motivations in history.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Certainly sucks that they can't replica that 999 twist from the DS version here

Saphirax

I already wasn't happy about having to rebuy VLR, but if it's a single trophy list then I'm going to straight pass.
Would have been cool to have a 999 plat but I'm not replaying VLR.

I doubt it's going to be a single trophy list. Most likely it'll be two - one for 999 and one for vlr.

Yasumi

Banned
How ironic.

If the
alien teleporter
wasn't in the game I guarantee people would have bitched that even more questions weren't answered.

And the 'complex motives' complaint? Ugh. You mean the 'complex motives' that was explained multiple times to you? It's not even a valid complaint, it's just posted as a negative for the sake of it. It's a meme disguised as a lazy complaint that doesn't even make sense.
The alien transporter didn't answer any overarching questions though, just the weird plot details ZTD itself introduced. Delta didn't have to be related to anybody, baby Phi didn't have to go back in time to raise herself, and Carlos achieved nothing by using it. It was just a convenient plot device in every sense of the word.

'Complex Motives' is more just pointing out the ridiculousness of Delta's plan. He formed a massive terrorist organization before VLR, created clones of his adopted brother to send to the moon in order to orchestrate the events of VLR, sending Sigma back in time so that he could trap future-mind Sigma and some others in a facility, and create an outcome where his birth is guaranteed in one timeline, and a small group of people are aware of a single terrorist that'll cause large-scale human extinction in another? This is why C O M P L E X M O T I V E S is a thing.

All the Zero Time Dilemma hate is getting annoying. Seeing it just makes me not want to post in Zero Escape threads anymore.

Sure, some of the characters felt slightly off, the game takes a while to get going and the last 10 or so minutes are a bit iffy, but everything other than that was incredible!

This.

Yeah, would have liked all 3 included.
Also, that would have meant a PS4 version of ZTD to go with the other two, which would have also been cool.

GSR

Not sure if it was called out already, but the Steam page has a trailer with voices for the 999 cast. Sounds like the same Junpei/Akane as ZTD (and Clover from VLR?)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
All the Zero Time Dilemma hate is getting annoying. Seeing it just makes me not want to post in Zero Escape threads anymore.

Sure, some of the characters felt slightly off, the game takes a while to get going and the last 10 or so minutes are a bit iffy, but everything other than that was incredible!

This.

Gaf is just full of cynical people. Their opinions are basically irrelevant to my purchases at this point, since I just don't agree with them.

Gaf is just full of cynical people. Their opinions are basically irrelevant to my purchases at this point, since I just don't agree with them.

I can see why some would be disappointed, but people are making it sound like it's one of the worst games ever. : /

D-END 2 is one of the best moments from the entire trilogy.

All the constant timeline jumping and the consequences of doing it towards the end of the game was amazing.

The twist that the wards weren't seperate and the way time really worked was a genius twist.

The game has plenty of fantastic moments.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Super hyped by this collection! Totally getting on Steam, maybe PS4 just to have physically, not sure yet.

As for the ZTD discussion, I like it a lot but it's the weakest in the series. Then again, when I say weakest I mean that for me 999 is an 11/10, VLR is a 10/10, and ZTD is an 8/10. I have some qualms with it, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Granted, I just might have had different expectations that got met and so ended up happier. Already played it twice and still love it. XD

I can see why some would be disappointed, but people are making it sound like it's one of the worst games ever. : /

All the constant timeline jumping and the consequences of doing it towards the end of the game was amazing.

The twist that the wards weren't seperate and the way time really worked was a genius twist.

The game has plenty of great moments.

Also I completely agree with your 1st spoiler. It's one of my favorite ZE endings and really hit on something I felt VLR lacked.
VLR had so many endings where the characters are trapped forever, but NEVER explored that idea any further, D-END 2 did not miss that opportunity and it was GLORIOUS!

Hylian7

Not sure if it was called out already, but the Steam page has a trailer with voices for the 999 cast. Sounds like the same Junpei/Akane as ZTD (and Clover from VLR?)

I feel like the thread either needs a title update or we need a new thread for this...

Was that remastered 999 music I heard? Or just better because it's uncompressed?

Definitely think those spoilers were great things from ZTD as well. The atmosphere struck closer to 999 for me, which I personally liked. I still think ZTD is weaker than the other games to me in general, but it was more of a disappointment than a bad game to me. Expectations had me wanting more, but I'll accept what we got for what it is and move on.

Definitely think those spoilers were great things from ZTD as well. The atmosphere struck closer to 999 for me, which I personally liked. I still think ZTD is weaker than the other games to me in general, but it was more of a disappointment than a bad game to me. Expectations had me wanting more, but I'll accept what we got for what it is and move on.

I wish more people in this thread were like you. You were disappointed yet you still don't feel the need to make the game sound like a piece of junk. Good for you.

D-End 2 was nice at the time...until the ending just reveals that the entire thing was orchestrated by Delta to cause himself to be conceived. The ending basically just took that whole moment and kicked dirt all over it.

Pretty much everything after that moment is just a complete downward spiral in my mind.

One of my main problems with ZTD is that all of the great moments earlier in the game are actively ruined by the ending's revelations. It's not simply a case of the ending being a let down. It actually just goes back and basically makes the rest of the game worse.

Holy crap, what a release! If I had never played these games and bought this pack, I would 100% say that this is the best game of all time (assuming that the collection counts at one game) - each of these two would probably make my top 10.

Anyone who likes VNs but hasn't played these, you owe it to yourself to play them. Don't worry too much about ZTD, these two are the best of the bunch.

One of my main problems with ZTD is that all of the great moments earlier in the game are actively ruined by the ending's revelations. It's not simply a case of the ending being a let down. It actually just goes back and basically makes the rest of the game worse.

Dang. That sucks.

I'm glad that wasn't the case for me. I mean, a few questionable desisions aside, I actually liked the ending. I was happy with the amount of answers I got.

Namikaze

I'm very confused as to why ZTD isn't getting a PS4 port..isn't most of the work done since they have a high quality PC version they can use as a reference? It even supports 4K.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Some people are easier to please.

Doesn't make the people who demand more because they got a more complex experience out of the series wrong to be upset at what they got.

Doesn't mean they are right either. I think some people can't help but force their opinions about the game down everyone's throats.

I mean, this 2-pack doesn't even have ZTD in it. Why do these people feel compelled to tell us about how much they dislike ZTD again?

Some people are easier to please.

Doesn't make the people who demand more because they got a more complex experience out of the series wrong to be upset at what they got.

Yeah, you've got the ending of a trilogy completely ignoring plot threads from the previous games, how can you possibly be happy with the answers you got???

Doesn't mean they are right either. I think some people can't help but force their opinions about the game down everyone's throats.

I mean, this 2-pack doesn't even have ZTD in it. Why do these people feel compelled to tell us about how much they dislike ZTD again?

That's just it. People are going out of their way to make sure they let everyone know that ZTD was 'awful'. It's annoying.

Yeah, you've got the ending of a trilogy completely ignoring plot threads from the previous games, how can you possibly be happy with the answers you got???

Because the questions that weren't answered I thought weren't very important in the first place. Not everything needs to be directly explained.

And let's not ignore the stuff that was explained.

Fluxdyne

This is really off-topic, but what plot threads got ignored?
Besides the ones on the now-definitively-not-canon post ending sequence of VLR.

Yasumi

Banned

Can't say for sure you're talking about me, but the stuff I post isn't really all opinion-based. It's pointing out story inconsistencies, dropped plot threads, shifts in established character writing and logic, and odd elements being introduced for the sake of easier writing. Sure, the actual quality of the story and willingness to accept it comes down to opinions, but you're taking a critical analysis really personally.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Can't say for sure you're talking about me, but the stuff I post isn't really all opinion-based. It's pointing out story inconsistencies, dropped plot threads, shifts in established character writing and logic, and odd elements being introduced for the sake of easier writing. Sure, the actual quality of the story and willingness to accept it comes down to opinions, but you're taking a critical analysis really personally.

I don't even know about these critical analyses nor have I read them, because I don't care about them at all. I am just commenting on the general state of things.

Did you black-out at the finale or what?

His motives were explained loud and clear.
It was to make sure he was born from Sigma and Diana, and to get them all together to stop the religious fanatic.

Not so complex, huh?

Right, which are reasons so stupid to tell the story, so absolutely irrelevant to anything that happened in the past games that fans attached onto the meme instead. Besides, when there's only a chance to
stop the fanatic
it looks stupid.

I didn't black out in the finale, though it seems like Uchikoshi did while writing it.

Because the questions that weren't answered I thought weren't very important in the first place. Not everything needs to be directly explained.

Oh wait you're just wasting all our time, never mind. Sorry for thinking you had a chance at a legitimate discussion.

This is really off-topic, but what plot threads got ignored?
Besides the ones on the now-definitively-not-canon post ending sequence of VLR.

Well, to start with, saying that post ending sequence of VLR is non-canon is a cop out. Ignoring Kyle is just ridiculous.

The origin of Radical-6 isn't explained. It was the central plot of VLR and in ZTD it's treated like a bullet point they had to cross off. It just happens to be there.

Previous characters are ignored. The end of VLR questioned what will happen to Clover and Alice next, did they manage to go back in time? But I guess that doesn't matter now because the whole VLR timeline is condemned to a bad ending.

Crash Keys and Santa are never mentioned.

Probably more that I've forgotten, I've only played these games once each.

It just hurts that so much wasn't mentioned, when the stuff that did get in the game isn't that great. Mind hacking and an alien transporter are such cop out excuses to piece together a plot they didn't know what to do with.

Fluxdyne

The end of VLR questioned what will happen to Clover and Alice next, did they manage to go back in time? But I guess that doesn't matter now because the whole VLR timeline is condemned to a bad ending.

That is part of the now-not-canon ending though.

I don't think the other things you've mentioned really are plot threads that got dropped.
I mean, what is there to tell about Santa and the Crash Keys?

The Radical-6 is just something Zero came up to ultimately create a team of motivated people to go after the real terrorist that will kill everyone. That's the 'origin' of it. Unless you want to know how exactly he came up with the virus, but is it that important? I mean, the dude has an alien time machine. If the game said he found the virus on a capsule dropped by ancient aliens I doubt you'd fell better about it.

Right, which are reasons so stupid to tell the story, so absolutely irrelevant to anything that happened in the past games that fans attached onto the meme instead. Besides, when there's only a chance to
stop the fanatic
it looks stupid.

I didn't black out in the finale, though it seems like Uchikoshi did while writing it.

Oh wait you're just wasting all our time, never mind. Sorry for thinking you had a chance at a legitimate discussion.

I was going to actually reply to you, but you're not worth it. Wouldn't want to waste anymore of your precious time discussing a plot to a videogame of all things.

Well, to start with, saying that post ending sequence of VLR is non-canon is a cop out. Ignoring Kyle is just ridiculous.

I agree with this. I was fine with assuming Kyle/? was the person actually playing the game, but he still should have at least been mentioned.

The origin of Radical-6 isn't explained. It was the central plot of VLR and in ZTD it's treated like a bullet point they had to cross off. It just happens to be there.

It was a little odd how Radical-6 was just kind of there, but I don't really think it needs an origin. It was a virus that was found in a lab. Good enough for me.

Previous characters are ignored. The end of VLR questioned what will happen to Clover and Alice next, did they manage to go back in time? But I guess that doesn't matter now because the whole VLR timeline is condemned to a bad ending.

What happened to Clover and Alice doesn't need to be explained. When I finished VLR not once did I think we'd ever hear more about them.

What happened to them wasn't supposed to be answered. I got the impression it was purposely left open. Come to your own conclusion.

Crash Keys and Santa are never mentioned.

Why would they be? And Santa actually was mentioned in the game, same with Lotus and Seven.

Ridley327

Finally got to read the blog. Kinda mad so much info is lacking.

No word if both games are on the same cart. No word on pricing. No word on if fans can just buy 999 on vita physical, since the majority should already own VLR.

Really dislike when companies announce things that are relatively soon with incomplete details. Since there's a 90% chance they already have all of that sort of stuff in order.

I really don't want to own two copies of VLR

I'd be surprised if they didn't share the same card on Vita. VLR was just over a gig, and that was with dual-audio and a fair amount of FMV. I can't imagine anything that they're adding to 999 would be any bigger than that.

999 Platinum will be mine! Nice to have the trilogy. Don't think I will platinum VLR, since that game crazy long and I already got the Platinum on Vita.

BTA

I've said this before and I'll say it again: it always surprises me when people think
D-END 2
is an example of ZTD's good content and not a huge example of the game careening into utter bullshit.
The good stuff was the character interactions of returning characters early on. D-END 2 was forcing one of the best characters, Phi, out of the way for a long portion of the game just to allow for random romance out of nowhere that's also prettttty gross given that Sigma is actually an old man that knows a lot more about Diana than she does about him. I know he's supposedly said that he's from the future to her face (which, by the way- Old Akane really had no fucking plan for that despite her basically being omnipotent? ok. sure.) but it still doesn't sit right to me. Phi being their kid is such a laughable and unnecessary twist and everything about Left and Brother is a bullshit retcon and I'm going to stop before thinking about this annoys me further.

Top Bottom