• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 4, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still confused about the shoe. It did look like Mika's but then she never got close to the walkers where Tyreese was fighting until Carol brought her and Lizzie there so I don't get it...

I thought it was Mika's too, since I saw her wearing black shoes earlier in the episode. I even said to my freind, "oh my god Mika died here look at her shoe", then later in the episode Mika was all of a sudden wearing green shoes, lol.

Mononoke

Banned
You'd be surprised how many people do this... continue to watch and continue to post on forums complaining every week about how bad the show is. It's quite comical.

I think for some people that do this, it's because there are things they love/hate about the show. Like I know folks (including myself), that loved the first half of Season 3. But pretty much hated the second half (minus an episode). It can be maddening when you see the potential in something, and when it does these things right it's something you've been looking for. But then it constantly lets you down over and over. Personally, I do think at a certain point you have to just cut your losses. If you find yourself disliking the majority of the episodes in a show, its no longer worth the investment of your time. I'm guessing apart of this is also a result of some loving the comics, but being frustrated with how the show is handling things. I dunno.

I know for me, I just had to accept the show was bad, and then decide if I could watch it on an entertainment level. I decided I could, so I just stop talking about the things I find awful (or rather, I don't waste my time getting worked up over it and going on and on).

Kinyou

Man,
that kid is basically screaming "I'm a psychopath!!!" by now. My guess is that Judith will have to learn to talk, or else will the other guys never figure it out

SamuraiX-

Another great Cudlitz interview:

TV Fanatic - Michael Cudlitz Teases Walking Dead Character, All-Important Mission Ahead [Comic Spoilers]

Probably the one with the fewest to almost no comic spoilers I've seen thus far but labeled anyway.

For comic fans, something to look out for:
TV Fanatic said:
(Comic Spoilers)
TV Fanatic: What will we see from Ford next week? What will we learn about him?

Michael Cudlitz: There was a family incident when the apocalypse...mine was a little more extreme and dealt more with humans than walkers. I’m not going to tell you the specifics of it but if you want to go back you can very easily go back to the comics.

What [showrunner] Scott Gimple is telling me we’re doing here is we’re also adding in a whole other segment of time from the time that that incident happened and the time now that he is meeting with the group. Some other stuff had gone down that wasn’t necessarily talked about in the comics but certainly could’ve happened even in the comic world but they’d never talked about it. The implication is that I was part of a larger group…over time we’re going to learn more about them.

raindoc

TV Fanatic - Michael Cudlitz Teases Walking Dead Character, All-Important Mission Ahead [Comic Spoilers]

Probably the one with the fewest to almost no comic spoilers I've seen thus far but labeled anyway.

Acctually adding to the comic book lore, instead of altering/ignoring it sounds interesting.
But the introduction of the trio was so terrible, IMO, if it were a movie, I'd have left the theatre, so my hype reached a new all time low.

Zaph

The common link between most of the complainers is the comic. TV show isn't lining up like they expected from the comic which makes them upset.
Oh there is a lot to complain about that has nothing to do with the comic. In fact, some of the things the TV show does best is when it completely deviates from the comic (no spoilers).

A major complaint is the zombie jump scares, which the show should be way past by now. But because the characterisation and writing has been so thin for so long, the show can't rely on interpersonal tension to propel it forward and instead needs those moments.

Edit: On a more positive note, I really appreciate a couple little touches the show does at times. Like always showing Daryl collecting his bolts and now, with Abraham, the actor doesn't have as much muscle mass as his comic book counterpart. Not sure on the exact timeline, but hasn't it been a while since the zombie apocalypse? With the scarcity of food, I doubt anyone could keep their bulk (Tyreese is pushing it IMO).

No, it was fairly clear in its intent.

1) The body the shoe belonged to was almost/completely eaten when Tyreese and Beth happened upon the scene.
2) Had a child been involved, we likely would have heard the requisite screams. The only thing that was heard were the mother's screams, and we see her dead on the ground when Tyreese shows up.
3) They foreshadowed Luke/Molly's deaths by having Beth reference the fact that the footprints belonged to the former, and Daryl saying they're several hours old.

The timeline is as follows:

- Luke/Molly are fleeing through the forest; get attacked/eaten by walkers at train track
- the family heading towards Terminus (Christopher and his mother/father) come upon the scene, and the mother is attacked
- Tyreese runs in, can't save the son from being killed and father from being bit
- father tells Tyreese/Carol/kids to go further down the tracks
- father turns after they leave, additional walkers show up
- Beth/Daryl come upon the site, dispatch remaining walkers and find Luke's shoe

The show does a fairly good job of not holding the viewer's hand and giving just enough information to ascertain what's going on. Not sure why it's so difficult for some people to understand.

The problem I have with your retelling is the bolded
Below is the scene that Tyreese sees upon entering
3cvo5MY.png

As can be seen, he got there shortly after the initial attack (no bodies for Luke or Molly here)
A woman was screaming previously let's assume its the brunette thats currently being eaten
That only leaves one other corpse in the scene, someone with blonde hair
ergo it cannot be luke or molly since they both had brown hair

Luke:
Luke_4x01.png

Molly:
Season_four_molly.png

Also, on point number 3, where they say they were tracking Luke and Molly, in fact those tracks directly correspond with those of Lizzie and Mika. Its more plausible to see that they have been tracking Lizzie and Mika and not Luke and Molly. In fact the entire point of these 2 segments was to illustrate that Tyreese's group was ahead of Dayrl's group by about 5 hours

Revolver

I could find a lot to complain about with that episode but it's all been covered anyway. I am glad to see Carol back (never would have imagined saying that just a couple of seasons ago.) Also I like Tara so I'm glad to see her again too.

The Beth and Daryl pairing looks interesting. They're finally giving Beth something to do at least. For some reason Maggie's accent really bothered me this episode. She seemed to have gotten a lot more southern all of a sudden.

Press release via TVbtN:
Sunday night's new episode of The Walking Dead delivered 13.3 million live + same and 8.7 million adults 18-49. The Walking Dead was again the #1 show across all broadcast and cable networks Sunday among adults 18-49, attracting more viewers in this key demographic than the Sochi Winter Olympics (second week in a row) and the NBA All-Star Game.

The common link between most of the complainers is the comic. TV show isn't lining up like they expected from the comic which makes them upset.

I don't read the graphic novel but I have a lot of issues with the show's writing and direction. I do still enjoy watching it overall though. It's a guilty pleasure, I guess. Also, zombies.

My 2 cents:

Last week's ending (where Michonne found Rick) was such a pleasant surprise. Every week it's a cliffhanger, I don't feel good at the end of the episode. But finally with that ending I got to leave the episode feeling calm and happy.

Now we're back to cliffhangers...More military guy and they want to take stuff or bully the group..Wow..I'm not so shocked..Just seems played out...While I love the show, I hope next season is the final season as it all just seems like wash, rinse, and repeat...Establish camp, someone tries to take it, eventually shit hits the fan and move....Start over...Plenty of shows overstay their welcome and I'd hope this won't happen to this show..Go out on top the with tv series and finish it all up with a movie..

While I'm glad Carol's back (like others I can't believe I'm saying that), I didn't like that she just appeared...Lazy writing...Carol just reappears for no real reason (no reason that I knew of at least)...Yeah, they're all looking for one another, but this episode felt kind of wasted...Almost like a filler. Look in the bus, look in the woods, run around...Only redeeming quality was learning what happened to Glen....But whatever..Not every episode can be a slamdunk winner.

My 2 cents:

Last week's ending (where Michonne found Rick) was such a pleasant surprise. Every week it's a cliffhanger, I don't feel good at the end of the episode. But finally with that ending I got to leave the episode feeling calm and happy.

Now we're back to cliffhangers...More military guy and they want to take stuff or bully the group..Wow..I'm not so shocked..Just seems played out...While I love the show, I hope next season is the final season as it all just seems like wash, rinse, and repeat...Establish camp, someone tries to take it, eventually shit hits the fan and move....Start over...Plenty of shows overstay their welcome and I'd hope this won't happen to this show..Go out on top the with tv series and finish it all up with a movie..

While I'm glad Carol's back (like others I can't believe I'm saying that), I didn't like that she just appeared...Lazy writing...Carol just reappears for no real reason (no reason that I knew of at least)...Yeah, they're all looking for one another, but this episode felt kind of wasted...Almost like a filler. Look in the bus, look in the woods, run around...Only redeeming quality was learning what happened to Glen....But whatever..Not every episode can be a slamdunk winner.
I hate reading posts like this because I want to comment but I obviously can't because I know things that happen. I agree with your criticism that the show needs a bit more hope sometimes but as for the rest of your post, it's one of those things you can't judge yet. Better to see how a story will play out.

Carol didn't really come out of nowhere though. The editing made it seem like so but she's always been around that area since Rick left her. It's not ridiculous that she'd quickly run into one of the giant ass group after they all split.

I hate reading posts like this because I want to comment but I obviously can't because I know things that happen. I agree with your criticism that the show needs a bit more hope sometimes but as for the rest of your post, it's one of those things you can't judge yet. Better to see how a story will play out.

Carol didn't really come out of nowhere though. The editing made it seem like so but she's always been around that area since Rick left her. It's not ridiculous that she'd quickly run into one of the giant ass group after they all split.

I guess (with the Carol thing). Still seems unlikely to me, but I'll accept that reality. And as you assumed, I'm only commenting on the tv show as I have absolutely no experience or knowledge regarding the comics.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've been a big fan of a lot of the show, and usually defend it

Thanks for the response.

in the latest seasons the writing is just getting to lazy, lets just do this for a plot point no matter how dumb it makes the characters look.tyrese shenanigans, Glen runs right through crowd of zombies instead of around them, Maggies school bus stupidity, Beth doesn't notice zombie right there, everyone trying to go off alone, more people thrown in just to be eaten quickly, simply no reason for those guys to leave the train tracks, Carol arrives just in time to follow Tyrese of all people. Glen closes door with sun shining in to walk through dark prison with hardly any light even though there's no way for zombies to get up there.

But, I mean, hasn't the show always had dumb moments like that? Andrea during season 3, Michonne's muteness, Carl running into the woods, Lori's horrible parenting, Dale and the stealth zombie, etc. etc. The show has always had really dumb moments and shown characters acting stupidly. I don't see what's changed this season.

You'd be surprised how many people do this... continue to watch and continue to post on forums complaining every week about how bad the show is. It's quite comical.

But see, I figure that there has to be something - some aspect - that they do enjoy. Is it a specific character? Is it the zombies? Do they enjoy watching what they perceive to be bad acting or bad plotting or whatever? There has to be something there for them to latch onto (even when it comes to "hate watching"), otherwise why would anyone stick around for 4 years on something that they clearly derive no enjoyment from?

BUT...! If there is something about the show that they do enjoy, then why don't they ever mention what that is? Why do they only focus on the bad parts? Is it negativity for negativities' sake? Do they enjoy adding their voices to the hate pile and that's the reason they stick around? Spend 40+ minutes watching a show that you hate so you can take 10 seconds to write a snarky comment on a message board/social media? That's a mighty low return on a such big investment if you ask me...

I'm just trying to understand where they're coming from, is all.

I don't think that the majority of complainers have even read the comics.

Excite!! :O

someday

Banned

I read the comics but the only time I actually hate-watched the show was during the second half of last season. That wasn't because it wasn't following the exact trajectory as the comics but because it forced characters to behave in abnormal ways to sort of follow the comic trajectory. I have really enjoyed season 4 (except for the Governor coming back). I admit that I'm a bit tired of Rick though. Hopefully he snaps out of this very long-lasting depression soon. I can't stand his overly emotional fake accent. It just takes me right out of the moment. That and his always wet hair hanging in his face. Ugh. I actually prefer Carl and I cannot believe it's come to this.

Bigfoot

They obviously like the show enough to keep watching. Most people don't regularly watch a show they think is bad, at least not week after week for 4 seasons. Some people just like to complain and are never satisfied.

y2dvd

To touch up on what Azula said, I've seen great episodes from this show that had limited to no dumb crap going down. Seasons 2b-3a was great tv imo so I've seen the potential that can be reached. "Clear" was another example of how good this show can be, so it is extremely frustrating when the quality dips so low. Poor character logic doesn't excuse the show to continue to act that way. I am hoping for the return of "Clear" quality episodes so I continue to watch.

I did this with Heroes. I thought the first season was amazing. Season 2 was about the biggest dip in quality I've ever seen between seasons of any show. I hated every episode in season 2 except for maybe 4 episodes, but I continued to watch because of how good season 1 was. I've had my final straw at the beginning of season 3. I really don't blame anyone saying they are done with TWD because sometimes I feel the same way with how bad a string of episodes can be.

I haven't read the comics so I can't judge the show from that. I watch TWD with a friend so it's fun to watch together no matter what my opinion is on an episode. And of course, I watch so I can discuss it with you fine folks here! :D

takriel

Yes Glen, just run into the horde of zombies when clearly there is enough room to run around them.

Yes Beth, just leave Daryl in the middle of the night in a fucking forest, go off on your own, don't wait for him or anything. Yolo I guess.

I could go on and on, there's so much more.

God these characters are so badly written. Please step your game up, AMC.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 410: “Inmates”

i93P5zDOgXUCi.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 410, “Inmates” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 410: “Inmates” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 411, “Claimed” - International
  • Sneak Peek 1 of Episode 411, “Claimed” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek 2 of Episode 411, “Claimed” - International
  • Bonus Scene: Episode 410: Talking Dead - AMC
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead’s Inside The Dead:
  • Many cast members came to watch [Glenn’s riot gear] shoot because it was one of the last at the prison. Co-EP Denise Huth said that it was “like saying goodbye to a character.”
  • Lauren Cohan thinks being on the road is less dangerous than being under attack at the prison. However, the worst thing would be if Maggie never finds Glenn.
  • Five sets of twin girls have played the role of Judith. However, for more intense scenes, stunt dolls are used.

PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

I don't think the problem so much is Carol running into part of the group, I think the problem moreso is that she conveniently ran into the group that is just so perfectly made up to produce the most drama possible for storyline purposes. However, I think part of this can be reasonably explained away by suggesting that Carol has been living somewhere near the prison the whole time and watching over it to stay somewhat protected in case of an emergency and to keep an eye on the girls she cares about. Thus, she sees everyone fleeing after shit goes down, looks for the girls and starts trailing them. At this point the only real issue is Tyreese oh so conveniently being the one who happens to leave with the girls.

Batigol

Banned
I enjoyed the episode a lot. Disappointed no one important died though. Good start to the season

Yet, everyone I love dies!

RIP Shane and Guv'na :'(

NBtoaster

Yes Glen, just run into the horde of zombies when clearly there is enough room to run around them.

Yes Beth, just leave Daryl in the middle of the night in a fucking forest, go off on your own, don't wait for him or anything. Yolo I guess.

I could go on and on, there's so much more.

God these characters are so badly written. Please step your game up, AMC.

People that just watched their father get beheaded and home destroyed might do some irrational things.

Z..

About that tracking scene, tell me again how come they have no trouble dinstinguishing living tracks from walker tracks? That's a bit dumb...

Edit:
But apart from that, this opening sequence with Daryl and Beth is exactly what I'd like to see more of. Very vivid portrayal.

someday

Banned
About that tracking scene, tell me again how come they have no trouble dinstinguishing living tracks from walker tracks? That's a bit dumb...

Edit:
But apart from that, this opening sequence with Daryl and Beth is exactly what I'd like to see more of. Very vivid portrayal.

The walkers mostly shuffle when they walk so I guess that would look different.

Z..

The walkers mostly shuffle when they walk so I guess that would look different.

I'm not saying it'd be impossible to discern, but they make it look way too easy. But that really matters very little, that whole sequence was quite something.

someday

Banned
I'm not saying it'd be impossible to discern, but they make it look way too easy. But that really matters very little, that whole sequence was quite something.

Oh I agree. It's pretty incredible that Daryl can glance at a spot for a couple of seconds and know how many people were there and that half of them were walkers.

Alpende

I hope they get rid of the baby fast, that's just a cheap way to create tension. Also, random walkers out of nowhere at the train tracks. I'd like to see how the story around the crazy, baby smothering, kid is gonna turn out, I hope it's gonna be like the comics. That'd be neat.

Glenn had plenty of room to go around, cheap stuff like that annoys the crap out of me. I liked the episode a lot more than the previous one.

I hope they get rid of the baby fast, that's just a cheap way to create tension. Also, random walkers out of nowhere at the train tracks. I'd like to see how the story around the crazy, baby smothering, kid is gonna turn out, I hope it's gonna be like the comics. That'd be neat.

Glenn had plenty of room to go around, cheap stuff like that annoys the crap out of me. I liked the episode a lot more than the previous one.

Yeah, I felt like he ran right into the crowd strictly to justify their glenn cam shot.

Halcyon

I was really sorta put off by last week's episode but here it is Sunday again and I'm looking forward to Tonights episode.

Its like they put an addictive chemical in it that makes you crave for it nightly.
axe.jpg

Grisby

Even on the bad ones I'm still back the following week. There's really nothing like it on tv.

On another zombie note, I've strarted listening to a radio cast about zombies called "We're Alive". I downloaded it a few years ago and finally started listening a few days ago. The voice acting and sound effects aren't that bad.

It's an interesting experiment and creepy as hell to listen to when I walk around my neighborhood at night.

Even on the bad ones I'm still back the following week. There's really nothing like it on tv.

On another zombie note, I've strarted listening to a radio cast about zombies called "We're Alive". I downloaded it a few years ago and finally started listening a few days ago. The voice acting and sound effects aren't that bad.

It's an interesting experiment and creepy as hell to listen to when I walk around my neighborhood at night.
+1
We're Alive is excellent. I thought the voice acting was kind of mediocre, especially in the beginning, but it improves and the story of long term survival will appeal to any TWD fan

Grisby

+1
We're Alive is excellent. I thought the voice acting was kind of mediocre, especially in the beginning, but it improves and the story of long term survival will appeal to any TWD fan
Yeah, my friend kept up with it all of those years ago and said that the quality got a lot better.

I'm digging it and like I said, walking around at dark with zombie growls and shotgun blasts is kinda neat.

Alpende

I also listen to We're Alive. It's pretty cool although I wonder how long it's supposed to last. I hope it doesn't go on for another 2 years or something. Fuck, I hate Datu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom