• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9

ethelred

I know it fluctuates from week to week, but I just checked again and it looks like this month the plural of anecdote still isn't data. How 'bout that.

donny2112

Famitsu Feb 25-Mar 2

1. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 148128 / NEW
2. WII Wii Fit 70416 / 1589027
3. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 69009 / 1398142
4. NDS Soma Bringer 53939 / NEW
5. 360 The Idolm@ster: Live for You! 47562 / NEW
6. PSP Musou Orochi 28096 / 79972
7. NDS Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail 22636 / 108191
8. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 19457 / 55591
9. WII Wii Sports 17466 / 2781565
10. WII Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 17436 / 55796
11. NDS Chou-Gekijou-Ban Keroro Gunsou 3: Tenkuu Daibouken de Arimasu! 15281 / NEW
12. WII Family Ski 14716 / 73869
13. NDS Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Yasoukyoku 13663 / NEW
14. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 12059 / 1648068
15. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 11993 / 246184
16. WII Wii Play 11840 / 2219891
17. NDS Mario Kart DS 11525 / 2867661
18. PS3 Lost Planet 10876 / 33830
19. NDS Mario Party DS 9533 / 1625964
20. NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season 7978 / 56277
21. PS2 Final Approach 2: 1st Priority 7392 / NEW
22. NDS Observation Training 7341 / 804250
23. PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui 6958 / 152507
24. PS3 Devil May Cry 4 6752 / 282484
25. WII Zenkoku Dekotora Matsuri 6564 / NEW
26. PS2 Poison Pink 6490 / 65332
27. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 6419 / 5103265
28. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 6381 / 439455
29. PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008: PES 2008 6191 / 130535
30. NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box 5964 / 765435

*. PSP My Stylist 3000 / NEW
*. PS2 Tori no Hoshi: Aerial Planet 2700 / NEW
*. NDS DS Dengeki Bunkou ADV: Baccano! 2100 / NEW
*. WII Choro Q Wii 1800 / NEW
*. 360 Call of Juarez 1600 / NEW
*. WII Uchi Tsuri! Sega Bass Fishing 940 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jan 28-Feb 3, 2008
Feb 4-10, 2008
Feb 11-17, 2008
Feb 18-24, 2008

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn little disappointed on the Ps3 hardware but a bump is a bump hopefully it can continue in the 20k range.

Pistolero said:
The whole idea that next gen is dead in Japan (Let's say HD consoles to not arouse some controvery) is puzzling...

Well, let's see...

Wii: Nintendo's doing well on it. And I guess we'll give Capcom and SE a couple games too. Who else?
PS3: LOL
X360: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Elbrain said:
Damn little disappointed on the Ps3 hardware but a bump is a bump hopefully it can continue in the 20k range.
Unlikely, considering that's what everyone was saying in December/January.

Vinnk

ethelred said:
I know it fluctuates from week to week, but I just checked again and it looks like this month the plural of anecdote still isn't data. How 'bout that.

I never claim my anecdotes as data. But if it annoys people, I can refrain from posting them.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ I think he's only referring to people that claim your unscientifically-collected personal experience and anecdotal evidence with extremely limited sample size as evidence of larger trends. In that, I agree with him, but in a less douchey way.

CHART FRENZY PREPARE

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
CHART FRENZY EXECUTE

mc-weekly-pie-67.jpg

mc-weekly-line-67.jpg

[ ] Did you notice that the total estimated total console sales from last week (80,337) and this week (80,967) were within 600ish units of each other?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-67.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-67.jpg

Last week to this week

[ ] Wii gained .02%
[ ] PS3 gained .01%
[ ] 360 lost .03%

Are we looking at plateaus for each console's potential market share? Can the Wii ever cross that magical 70% line? Can the PS3 ever get back across that huge 25% wall? How quickly will 360 hit less than 5%?

Hardware numbers differ quite a bit from Famitsu again.

PS3 is doing laughably bad, it has seen the release of a lot of established franchises already and with price drops, new colours and bundles showing no effect it's clear that the problems are more widespread than "games" and "price".

Elbrain said:
But what would sustain such sales? PS3 saw a bump because of RGGK, a pretty big franchise. There isn't a game of this caliber coming out for quite a while iirc.

Stumpokapow said:
BBA:Wii wasn't a hit because it was largely a piece of shit.

BBA:Wii was content-poorer than the DS game, substantially less polished, and priced far too high for what it offered.
I got to disagree here. It's a fun game in multi and I do like the overall design. It is short on content though, that much is true. I paid 22€ and thought it was well worth the money-at full price, not so much.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Phife Dawg said:
Hardware numbers differ quite a bit from Famitsu again.

PS3 is doing laughably bad, it has seen the release of a lot of established franchises already and with price drops, new colours and bundles showing no effect it's clear that the problems are more widespread than "games" and "price".

But what would sustain such sales? PS3 saw a bump because of RGGK, a pretty big franchise. There isn't a game of this caliber coming out for quite a while iirc.

I got to disagree here. It's a fun game in multi and I do like the overall design. It is short on content though, that much is true. I paid 22€ and thought it was well worth the money-at full price, not so much.

I know that is the thing I guess the Ps3 number will have to come out of nowhere but I hope they do stay up. *Keeps on dreaming*

Raggy

Banned
Talking about the extremely close graph.

Hows the YTD for PS3/Wii, compared to 2007 ? e.g a "YTD" for the week we are in now in 2007.

They look very close indeed.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Did the Wii pass the N64 yet? It seems like it would be close now.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
mutsu said:
DS really needs some injection at this point. Please Nintendo, announce the next DS revision please. I am holding off getting a new DS for one.
I'm on the same boat. I hate my phat but I know the same moment I buy a lite the revision will be announced. Already happened me twice, never again I swear! just announce it already.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Elbrain said:
I know that is the thing I guess the Ps3 number will have to come out of nowhere but I hope they do stay up. *Keeps on dreaming*

Jeez, I wonder what side of the fence you're on.

cvxfreak

DKnight said:
I'm on the same boat. I hate my phat but I know the same moment I buy a lite the revision will be announced. Already happened me twice, never again I swear! just announce it already.

Buy one now, so the rest of us waiting can get our revisions soon since Nintendo is out to get you. :D

Hey no one took care of this? :/

First day numbers

NDS Bimoji Training - 30.000
PS2 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral PS2 - 7.000 (Normal + Limited Edition)
NDS Duel Love: Koisuru Otome wa Shouri no Megami - 5.000

Ok, I know it isn't an interesting week, but don't look for Duel Love screens, consider it a warning.

There were some other minor interesting releases (Baroque Wii, Contra DS, COD4 DS, Winning Post 7 PS2+PS3+Wii), no numbers though.

Oh, and another week without a single PSP release. Get your 'look at PSP hardware but no software' ready.

DKnight said:
Buy one now, a revision isn't going to happen any time soon. I'll buy your DS Lite if it does.

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

First day numbers

PS2 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral PS2 - 7.000 (Normal + Limited Edition)

Ok, I know it isn't an interesting week, but don't look for Duel Love screens, consider it a warning.

There were some other minor interesting releases (Baroque Wii, Contra DS, COD4 DS, Winning Post 7 PS2+PS3+Wii), no numbers though.

Oh, and another week without a single PSP release. Get your 'look at PSP hardware but no software' ready.

Wow Bimoji training is off to a great start.

Im looking up duel love screens..you made -_-

edit:Duel Love wasn't too bad.

dude

dude
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I never would've done it if you didn't say it.
Whyyyy.

ziran

What's most interesting about this gen of home consoles in Japan is the complete single handed-ness with which Nintendo holds the market. With DS there is some debate to be had with its success and the proportioning to Nintendo and 3rd parties whereas with Wii thus far, it can be said almost conclusively it's Nintendo and Nintendo alone that has made the system into the huge success it is, which is simply astounding.

Even the biggest 3rd party game on the console, DQS, was orchestrated by a Nintendo team, and looking to the immediate future, there's still no sign of any worthwhile support (in a sales sense) from 3rd parties until MH3. It really is unprecedented success, and shows how amazingly strong a developer Nintendo is this gen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Just FYI, three of the series that were larger than MGS on the PS2 have already come out (Dynasty Warriors, Winning Eleven, and Minna no Golf). We've already seen how they did, so adjust any MGS4 expectations accordingly.

At the same time, donny, Sony is pinning a whole lot more on MGS4 (as their lynchpin title for this entire year, the largest 3rd party exclusive other than FF13, and a vindication of their whole strategy thusfar) than they ever did on MGS2 or MGS3.

Not that I personally reckon' it'll do any better than the other franchises that have shown installment-on-installment declines versus their PS2 entries, but Sony's internal expectations have obviously got to be quite high.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

First day numbers

Bimoji Training is off to a good start for a casual learning game/app. Did anyone have a go at that? I'm considering the import.

So Duel Love is basically the witch touching game only with boys?

Stumpokapow said:
At the same time, donny, Sony is pinning a whole lot more on MGS4 (as their lynchpin title for this entire year, the largest 3rd party exclusive other than FF13, and a vindication of their whole strategy thusfar) than they ever did on MGS2 or MGS3.

Not that I personally reckon' it'll do any better than the other franchises that have shown installment-on-installment declines versus their PS2 entries, but Sony's internal expectations have obviously got to be quite high.
I think the push for DW was pretty huge. Price drop, new colour/hardware revision, ShockAxis, bundle and all that shortly before the biggest shopping season of the year. Don't know about advertising but it should've been substantial as well. Do you really think they pin more on MGS4? Sure, the latter is an exclusive but it's not like that matters with DW in Japan (360 having never lived and all).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

There is number for Baroque Wii actually. Errr wait... it's actually "not countable" :(

Japanese third parties are going to have a hard time on home consoles this gen.

EDIT: Some more "numbers":

PSP 3 Konami "The Best" shooting games budget re-releases: Not countable

DS CoD4, Contra, The Legend of Kage 2: 2k

AnimeTheme said:
There is number for Baroque Wii actually. Errr wait... it's actually "not countable" :(

EDIT: Some more "numbers":

PSP 3 Konami "The Best" shooting games budget re-releases: Not countable

DS CoD4, Contra, The Legend of Kage 2: 2k
Jesus, that's *cold*, Japan.

ethelred

AnimeTheme said:

Not countable for Baroque? That's hard to believe -- and after it sold so well on the PS2 last gen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I KNEW Legend of Kage 2 would bomb. It always struck me as a real WTF decision. A low profile sequel to a forgotten low profile IP with no marketing? Come on.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
I KNEW Legend of Kage 2 would bomb. It always struck me as a real WTF decision. A low profile sequel to a forgotten low profile IP with no marketing? Come on.

All of Taito's other stuff (Space Invaders, Exit, Arkanoid) bombed too, though. I don't think this particular failure has much to do with Kage specifically.

Bust Nak

I don't suppose any of you got impression on kage 2? It got 29/40 in Famitsu didn't it? I am interested in playing this game form my childhood but I realise now Kage 1 is a naff game and this is my only hope!

Vinci

Danish
ziran said:
What's most interesting about this gen of home consoles in Japan is the complete single handed-ness with which Nintendo holds the market. With DS there is some debate to be had with its success and the proportioning to Nintendo and 3rd parties whereas with Wii thus far, it can be said almost conclusively it's Nintendo and Nintendo alone that has made the system into the huge success it is, which is simply astounding.

Even the biggest 3rd party game on the console, DQS, was orchestrated by a Nintendo team, and looking to the immediate future, there's still no sign of any worthwhile support (in a sales sense) from 3rd parties until MH3. It really is unprecedented success, and shows how amazingly strong a developer Nintendo is this gen.

What's really amazing is the number of gamers who figured they were doomed. Like, legitimately felt that they were. The company that always makes money.

Christine

Vinci said:
What's really amazing is the number of gamers who figured they were doomed. Like, legitimately felt that they were. The company that always makes money.

Forbes: Nintendo's Game May Be Over

Chaucer

I'd really like to gain an insight into what makes Nintendo such a strong developer in Japan. Are they simply able to gobble up the best talent? Is it their design philosophy or a stellar QA team? Or just all marketing? Obviously, it's a mix of all that but what is preventing other developers from having even a fraction of their consistent success this generation?

AniHawk said:
Well it is at 22 million in its fourth year. The PS2 wasn't selling this well in its fourth year (or maybe it was, but I recall that for a while, the top selling system was usually around 40k-50k in 2004).
Here I've set up a line for weekly sales of PS2 and DS+DSL through week 200. I capped it at 100K to make the lower part easier to see. It's actually starting to match the equivalent PS2 weeks very recently, which of course is a step down from kicking the shit out of them.

ethelred said:
Not countable for Baroque? That's hard to believe -- and after it sold so well on the PS2 last gen.
Heh. So I went to look at just how little it sold, and couldn't find it in my database. I thought perhaps I'd given it a poorly translated name, so instead looked for it by release date. Nope again. So I guess it failed to reach the 8.5K necessary to make it to the Famitsu Top 30 that week.

Based on latest Media Create numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 47.4 / 52.6, bringing total shares to 72.3 / 27.7. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 2579.3 weeks (August 15, 2057). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 251.9 weeks (January 6, 2013).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 26.9 / 73.1, bringing total shares to 26.2 / 73.8. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate it would catch up in 169.2 weeks (June 7, 2011).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 941.0 weeks (March 22, 2026). Really since late November it's been a virtual tie, with a split rarely getting beyond 55-45 or vice-versa.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PS3 comparisons: After 69 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 16.0 weeks (June 18, 2000), where PSP was at 45.8 weeks (October 21, 2005), where GCN was at 67.6 weeks (December 26, 2002), and where Wii was at 16.9 weeks (March 24, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 66 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 66.4 weeks (June 25, 2002), where DS was at 57.0 weeks (December 31, 2005), where PS2 was at 91.0 weeks (November 25, 2001), and where PSP was at 131.1 weeks (June 10, 2007).

Wii has passed GBA-of-the-same-age. Though GBA-of-the-same-age being in late June, it will hit its next holiday bump sooner than Wii.

Note on the Famitsu software pie for the week of 2008-02-25: Thanks to Gundam Musou, PS2 (23.4%) beats Wii (22.8) for the first time in three months. Idolmaster also gave X360 (5.8) one of its weeks over PS3 (4.4).

Just a general note on my database updating with my new third-shift schedule, I don't get a chance to see the numbers until late Friday morning, at which time I update the hardware and Famitsu software pie since they're easy. Adding in the Famitsu Top 30 software takes a bit more work, so I save that for early Saturday AM, after sleep.

kswiston

Stumpokapow said:

While I am not confident that it will move all that much hardware (at least in Japan), I have a feeling that MGS4 won't suffer as hard a drop as other previous 750k+ series have on the PS3. Portable Ops managed pretty respectable numbers on the PSP when everything else was doing horribly on the system (except MHP of course). I think that the fanbase for MGS is a little more loyal than the fanbase of Dynasty Warriors or Minna no Golf, even if the latter two series appeal more to casual gamers (who don't even own a PS3 at this point).

I'm expecting 500k+ for MGS4. Still a big drop from MGS3, but not DW6 bad.

EDIT: 500k LTD. Not Week 1. Maybe 300-350k Week 1.

apujanata

Chaucer said:
I'd really like to gain an insight into what makes Nintendo such a strong developer in Japan. Are they simply able to gobble up the best talent? Is it their design philosophy or a stellar QA team? Or just all marketing? Obviously, it's a mix of all that but what is preventing other developers from having even a fraction of their consistent success this generation?

I am quite certain that Nintendo's marketing is lackluster, if not below average.

I believe it is the culture. There is no push from management or finance to release a game, if the game is not ready. There is also a factor of Shigeru Miyamoto, who as #1 game designer in Japan (from quality and quanity & # of years, IMO), helped shaped Nintendo. Also thanks to the late Gunpei Yokoi, another excellent person, who contributed to Nintendo's early success before his death. I am not sure about Yamauchi, but I think he help (and hinder, sometimes). The last 5 years success is also attributable to strong help from Iwata.

beef3483

Vinnk said:
I never claim my anecdotes as data. But if it annoys people, I can refrain from posting them.

I enjoy your anecdotes, as has been said before, don't let one annoying little pest get you down.

Top Bottom