• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9

sphinx

the piano man
apujanata said:
I am quite certain that Nintendo's marketing is lackluster, if not below average.

I believe it is the culture. There is no push from management or finance to release a game, if the game is not ready. There is also a factor of Shigeru Miyamoto, who as #1 game designer in Japan (from quality and quanity & # of years, IMO), helped shaped Nintendo. Also thanks to the late Gunpei Yokoi, another excellent person, who contributed to Nintendo's early success before his death. I am not sure about Yamauchi, but I think he help (and hinder, sometimes). The last 5 years success is also attributable to strong help from Iwata.

nintendo provides a kind of gaming you can't find anywhere else, they are EXTREMELY creative. Tha transition from 2d to 3rd from their big franchises is one of the biggest miracles in gaming, period. It's like every gaming session a thought of " How the fuck did someone came with that brilliant idea? " crosses your mind.

and despite what people think, there hasn't been a generation where nintendo hasn't worked, either by themselves or in collaboration, on a game that is groundbreaking at the time of its release.

I mean, how the fuck can you come up with something like Pikmin?? that's pure geniality that puts to shame every mediocre western developer with their " generic shooter #3289" meh-fests.

the Wii in itself and the "wii series" games are so unique, it was a guarantted success ever since conception and it will continue trhought the generation to claim the 1st place in the console race. They really nailed it this generation because not only they kept their software quality high but actually made a console for everyone that is approachable and likeable.

lopaz

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
There is number for Baroque Wii actually. Errr wait... it's actually "not countable" :(

Japanese third parties are going to have a hard time on home consoles this gen.

EDIT: Some more "numbers":

PSP 3 Konami "The Best" shooting games budget re-releases: Not countable

DS CoD4, Contra, The Legend of Kage 2: 2k

Why the shit didn't they buy Contra? Poo-faces

apujanata said:
I am quite certain that Nintendo's marketing is lackluster, if not below average.

I believe it is the culture. There is no push from management or finance to release a game, if the game is not ready. There is also a factor of Shigeru Miyamoto, who as #1 game designer in Japan (from quality and quanity & # of years, IMO), helped shaped Nintendo. Also thanks to the late Gunpei Yokoi, another excellent person, who contributed to Nintendo's early success before his death. I am not sure about Yamauchi, but I think he help (and hinder, sometimes). The last 5 years success is also attributable to strong help from Iwata.
Nintendo's marketing is anything but lackluster, well ever since Iwata took control anyway.

TunaLover

apujanata said:

I believe it is the culture. There is no push from management or finance to release a game, if the game is not ready. There is also a factor of Shigeru Miyamoto, who as #1 game designer in Japan

While I love Miyamoto's desing philosophy, I would love see a Nintendo less Miyamoto centric.

Mmm, and here I thought Tales of Rebirth was coming on a rather empty week just before MHP2G is unleashed. How wrong I was.

There must be some kind of holiday next week because most titles are going to be released on Wednesday, and yet a good few on Thursday. I wonder which ones will we get first day info?

3/19 Wednesday:
PS360 Armored Core: For Answer
PS360 Army of Two
PS360 Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
PS360 Skate
360/PSP Need for Speed ProStreet
360 Sengoku Musou 2 with Moushouden
PS3 FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Target in Sight (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Resistance: Jinrui Botsuraku no Hi (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Ridge Racer 7 (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PSP Mugen Kairou (echochrome)
PSP Tales of Rebirth
WII Bomberman Land Wii (Hudson the Best)
WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!
WII House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
WII House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (w/Wii Zapper)
WII/NDS Spider-Man 3
NDS Bangai-O Spirits
NDS Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu
NDS Dramatic Dungeon Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame
NDS Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame (All-Star Pack)
NDS Kachou Shima Kousaku DS: Dekiru Otoko no Love & Success
NDS Shibou Nenshou Keikaku: YaseTore!! DS
NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi
NDS Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete
NDS Zoo Tycoon 2

3/20 Thursday:
WII Ninja Reflex
NDS Bakousou Dekotora Densetsu Black
NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki!
NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai
NDS Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
NDS Ninja Reflex
NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage
NDS Puchi Eva: Evangelion @ Game
NDS Rosario to Vampire
NDS Ys DS
NDS Ys 2 DS

I just bold those YSO bolded (because of sales potential) but there are so many other titles that would be important on a little emptier week (time hollow, deca sporta, kekkaishi, ninja gaiden...) and hardcore stuff like bangai-o, kunio-kun dodge ball, ys or house of the dead.

Frankly, the only big release is Pokemon, I really doubt any other title will break 100k for the week, but with so many titles that should hover from 25 to 75k, there's going to be a killing.

Chaucer said:
I'd really like to gain an insight into what makes Nintendo such a strong developer in Japan. Are they simply able to gobble up the best talent? Is it their design philosophy or a stellar QA team? Or just all marketing? Obviously, it's a mix of all that but what is preventing other developers from having even a fraction of their consistent success this generation?

One of the main reasons is that they develop their own hardware, closely working with SW people. In a sense, they develop HW and SW at the same time

Take for example Wii Sports. There are lots of design choices in that game that go back to the day they started working on the Wiimote years ago. You could also say that lots of design choices in the Wiimote were made taking in consideration SW issues.

Ive read in many places that SW people often go to HW people and tell them their ideas and needs, and viceversa. Thats how the wiimote speaker came to life. Some sound guy went to the HW department and said hey, if this is supposed to simulate a tennis racket why not make it sound like a tennis racket.

I also think its because they document and share very well their gameplay mechaniqs. After they are done with the HW they already know what works and what doesnt. Look at most NIntendo games and you will see that they share lots of common traits

sphinx said:
nintendo provides a kind of gaming you can't find anywhere else, they are EXTREMELY creative. Tha transition from 2d to 3rd from their big franchises is one of the biggest miracles in gaming, period. It's like every gaming session a thought of " How the fuck did someone came with that brilliant idea? " crosses your mind.

and despite what people think, there hasn't been a generation where nintendo hasn't worked, either by themselves or in collaboration, on a game that is groundbreaking at the time of its release.

I mean, how the fuck can you come up with something like Pikmin?? that's pure geniality that puts to shame every mediocre western developer with their " generic shooter #3289" meh-fests.

the Wii in itself and the "wii series" games are so unique, it was a guarantted success ever since conception and it will continue trhought the generation to claim the 1st place in the console race. They really nailed it this generation because not only they kept their software quality high but actually made a console for everyone that is approachable and likeable.

Agreed. And Galaxy is the n-th example that proves it.

llTll said:
i see that yakuza didnt have much effect on ps3 sales.

Yakuza skews closer to the hardcore side of the spectrum. And the longer a console's been out, the less and less core games affect the amount of hardware moved, since the core gamers already have the console.

fortified_concept said:
Wow, even though Yakuza is at the #1 spot PS3 continues to sell like crap. WTF?
With 1 PS3 per 8.6 Yakuza 3*'s, it beats out what Wii managed when it sold 1 system per 8.7 SSBBs.

*Is this really the best way to refer to the game? Considering instead of a numeral it instead gives the title an extra word and a change of century, isn't it quite possible there'll be a real Yakuza 3 in the future? Perhaps referring to Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! as Yakuza 3 is like if we'd called Samurai Warriors "Dynasty Warriors 5", or GTA Vice City "GTA IV".

llTll

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Yakuza skews closer to the hardcore side of the spectrum. And the longer a console's been out, the less and less core games affect the amount of hardware moved, since the core gamers already have the console.

this is not true, otherwise sony might as well just shut down the factories and raise the flag. " since good AAA games dont move consoles "

that being said, yakuza was never a system seller game.

Christine

llTll said:
this is not true, otherwise sony might as well just shut down the factories and raise the flag. " since good AAA games dont move consoles "

Pureauthor didn't say that "good AAA games don't move consoles". He said that the console-moving effect of core games decreases as consoles age and a higher proportion of the games' potential audiences already own the console. Over time, the ability of the console's catalog to shift hardware units should become less visible in bumps associated with game releases and more visible in terms of a higher weekly sales floor.

llTll said:

I... wait, what? Did you even read what I posted?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:

The best post I ever read while I was a lurker here was when john tv posted this image in response to Amir0x and JackFrost2012 and Alcibiades conferring about whether or not the DS was selling better because of Easter:

readme.JPG

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

What a classic.

Genjikage said:
PSP still going strong, any news on a price drop at all?
I want one so bad.

There's no reason for Sony to drop the price - the hardware is selling well, and they can use some of the profits to cushion the impact of the massive failure that is the PS3.

Pureauthor said:
I request you clarify the intent behind the posting of such a picture in response to my statement.

The PS3's a disappointment, but a "massive failure"? Common now, it very nearly outsold the 360 worldwide last year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
_leech_ said:

The PS3 is tracking behind the GameCube in Japan. The PS2 is the best-selling home console of all time in Japan. The PS3 is, currently, a massive failure in Japan. That's not a troll, it's a pretty obvious conclusion based on the data. What is your definition of massive failure?

donny2112

Possible explanations:

* Wii is a fad (like the troll)
* Blu-Ray (and thus the PS3) is a fad (like the troll)
* He thinks you're a troll
* He thinks he's a troll
* There's a hammer just outside of the picture that it about to come down and crush the troll's head into smithereens. The hammer is the Wii and the troll's head is the PS3.

_leech_ said:
The PS3's a disappointment, but a "massive failure"? Common now, it very nearly outsold the 360 worldwide last year.

Outselling the 360 in hardware is absolutely nothing to be proud of. The 360 has it's great software sales to fall back on. The PS3 has nothing. It's a disappointment both software-wise and hardware-wise, it's losing Sony tonnes of cash (they wiped out their PS2 profits at the end of the first year), and the situation doesn't look to be changing. Yeah, I'm sticking with 'massive failure' here.

And that's WW, in which the picture is a bit more rosy. In Japan? L. O. Freaking. L.

Stumpokapow said:
The PS3 is tracking behind the GameCube in Japan. The PS2 is the best-selling home console of all time in Japan. The PS3 is, currently, a massive failure in Japan. That's not a troll, it's a pretty obvious conclusion based on the data. What is your definition of massive failure?

Ah, in Japan. See, that wasn't in his post.

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Mmm, and here I thought Tales of Rebirth was coming on a rather empty week just before MHP2G is unleashed. How wrong I was.

There must be some kind of holiday next week because most titles are going to be released on Wednesday, and yet a good few on Thursday. I wonder which ones will we get first day info?

3/19 Wednesday:
PS360 Armored Core: For Answer
PS360 Army of Two
PS360 Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
PS360 Skate
360/PSP Need for Speed ProStreet
360 Sengoku Musou 2 with Moushouden
PS3 FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Target in Sight (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Resistance: Jinrui Botsuraku no Hi (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PS3 Ridge Racer 7 (PlayStation 3 the Best)
PSP Mugen Kairou (echochrome)
PSP Tales of Rebirth
WII Bomberman Land Wii (Hudson the Best)
WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!
WII House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
WII House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (w/Wii Zapper)
WII/NDS Spider-Man 3
NDS Bangai-O Spirits
NDS Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu
NDS Dramatic Dungeon Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame
NDS Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame (All-Star Pack)
NDS Kachou Shima Kousaku DS: Dekiru Otoko no Love & Success
NDS Shibou Nenshou Keikaku: YaseTore!! DS
NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi
NDS Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete
NDS Zoo Tycoon 2

3/20 Thursday:
WII Ninja Reflex
NDS Bakousou Dekotora Densetsu Black
NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki!
NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai
NDS Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
NDS Ninja Reflex
NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage
NDS Puchi Eva: Evangelion @ Game
NDS Rosario to Vampire
NDS Ys DS
NDS Ys 2 DS

I just bold those YSO bolded (because of sales potential) but there are so many other titles that would be important on a little emptier week (time hollow, deca sporta, kekkaishi, ninja gaiden...) and hardcore stuff like bangai-o, kunio-kun dodge ball, ys or house of the dead.

Frankly, the only big release is Pokemon, I really doubt any other title will break 100k for the week, but with so many titles that should hover from 25 to 75k, there's going to be a killing.

Thats a lot of games with sales potential. Its going to be interesting the coming weeks.

donny2112 said:
Possible explanations:

* He thinks he's a troll
* There's a hammer just outside of the picture that it about to come down and crush the troll's head into smithereens. The hammer is the Wii and the troll's head is the PS3.

Lol.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
_leech_ said:

The PS3 isn't a massive failure, but it is a failure.

The damn thing is not selling too hot in Japan and every day it does that it loses mindshare with the public.

donny2112 said:
Possible explanations:

* He thinks he's a troll

:lol :lol

Top Bottom