• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There_there_robot.gif

That is amazing.

Shinta

Banned
I know it OT, but I have to ask this: Has there been *anyone* other than FM who has ever claimed insider info that Sony ever planned to have their PS4 online-only DRM system in place (that FM claims his NODRM campaign reversed)?
I think everyone skipped over this one, but I'm interested to see if anyone has a response.

The campaign was a positive thing, regardless. I always did find it a bit silly to credit it to one person though, since it was a mass movement. Oh well.

I'm pretty indifferent to the guy. Seemed like a nice guy on here, but the cult of personality was a bit too much and it seemed to get to his head.

He played exactly to NeoGaf "insider-fan" archetype.

Once his reserves of actual semi-accurate information (generally stuff that is well known amongst marketing depts of publishers and developers) ran out, he relied entirely on "connect-the-dots" stye conjecture in order to get another hit of the NeoGaf attention crack pipe.

Seems to be a large contingent of people celebrating his downfall merely due to his reputation for leaning towards Sony. The names dancing on the dude's grave ... is, well... expected to say the least. Ironic, too.

Don't follow gaming side very closely, but looking at the guy's behavior in the Indiegogo thread and this one (honestly, sit back for a second and think about how fucked up his actions were), these reactions seem entirely appropriate.

KoopaTheCasual

Best wishes for your son and all your family.

Thankfully. When you fail to apologize for a mistake that forces someone to disclose what is happening in their private life just to defend themselves from a perception of being incompetent, you deserve anything bad that comes your way.

Instead he chose to act like a primadonna about quitting GAF. Someone thought his ego was bigger than having some humanity.
It's funny, because in hindsight, with the way he's acting right now, it was totally warranted. But wasn't he perma-banned before he even had the chance to apologize? I think that's part of the reason he's super salt. Ironically, he was always really critical of Verendus, Cboat, and Thuway's leaks, since he said they would get a lot of things wrong, and would always get away with it.

Also, is Cboat perma-banned as well?

geordiemp

I think its OK to have some fun and gossip about games or faceless corporations.

However, peoples personal life, employment and career's should not be a topic for discussion on a games forum without their express permission
.....(except for pachter LOL)

Nicktendo86

Bit late here but all the best to you and your son Col, seriously sucks that you had to reveal personal information in order to clear your name. Disgraceful actually.

I cannot see how Mort will get that site off the ground, his credibility is shot.

odhiex

Boy. What a mess.

This is the world today though. Everything is expected to happen RIGHT NOW.

When we hear news about, for example, TLOU coming to PS4 as a leak from some dude in another country that works for Sony, we expect there to be an official statement as well as some new gameplay footage RIGHT NOW.

When we hear about resignations. We expect the absolute complete details to spill out about the situation RIGHT NOW. When we hear about people getting laid off, we expect there to be a breakdown of why each employee was laid off RIGHT NOW.

If we do not get our information RIGHT NOW, we will speculate. We will then turn that speculation into half-truths. Here at GAF, where people in the industry do actually come in and speak with the community a bit, it is even more heightened because we know there is the possibility of someone coming in right then to explain the situation. Do we all feel obligated that these companies come in and explain themselves with every situation and do it directly? I dunno. Some people seem to act that way.

It was the same situation with Amy Hennig. The entire thread is nothing but half-truths and speculation because the real story never came out about why she left and under what circumstance. So the speculation turned into a freakin internet Meme about Druckmann being an evil bastard that is forcing people out of the studio because of possible creative differences. All without a single shred of actual evidence or truth behind it. People will laugh about the meme at first, but then it takes a life on its own where some seem to take it as actual fact and will use it everywhere with every Sony story. Including the story about the director of DriveClub.

And here we are.

A mess indeed. But hopefully something can be learned from it all.

Very good post. Speculations are tasty and nasty for general public.

It's funny, because in hindsight, with the way he's acting right now, it was totally warranted. But wasn't he perma-banned before he even had the chance to apologize? I think that's part of the reason he's super salt. Ironically, he was always really critical of Verendus, Cboat, and Thuway's leaks, since he said they would get a lot of things wrong, and would always get away with it.

No, 72 hour ban.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hopefully this sets a precedent for the recent trend of persecutory posting on GAF. No harm in a bit of humility or acknowledgement of alternatives.

Averon

Using office gossip as the basis for your reporting is terrible. Famous either forgot that or didn't know. In either case, it got him clipped, and deservingly so. Also why I didn't like how IGN reported on Hennig's departure from ND. It really dragged Druckmann's name in the mud without any sort of substantiation.

Frolow

Banned

Cboat got banned for a few days when he claimed that Titanfall would only be 720p. That was it.

I feel like this is a disaster that we have been fueling the flames of for some time. We actively seek out any rumor, tease, or PR bullshit and then get worked up into a frenzy over it. Just look at any of the recent threads about studio closings or staff leaving and count the amount of complete bullshit, hyperbole, and insults that are thrown about with abandon. I have been guilty of it myself more often than I am proud to admit.

The tone and quality of discussion on GAF seems to have declined as the industry has entered this transitional state. I've seen MOD's almost gleefully shitting on people in ways that would have gotten most accounts banned years ago.

At this point, what actually distinguishes this community from gamefaqs or any other forum?

Sendou

So just forgetting for a second with that really unfortunate business with Col take a look at this:

Stig and his team spent almost 100 million dollars on a game that failed every QA test that took. The game sucked. They shitcanned the game and a lot of the people involved. They offered stig a spot on barlog's project - he didn't want to go from game director to something lesser so he quit.

This makes sense, right? Shitty game, money wasted, people fired, head guy leaves out of ego? I mean that all makes sense.

So Mort himself admited that this is "office gossip". Isn't this really fucked up? He's basically saying Stig fucked up in a very major way and the guy is looking for a new job right now. He can't defend himself because obviously he is in no position (morally IMO but especially legally) to offer insight what happened at Sony. So he gets to say this stuff with nobody to argue otherwise. That's borderline slander and could be very harmful.

I bet ntkrnl fed mortimer the false info so that he could destroy Sony and NeoGAF. it really all makes sense once you examine these entrails

meanspartan

I am sorry to see famousmortimer go. Yes, he fucked up big time and the ban was probably called for as such. But, he did contribute a lot of info, and I won't soon forget #ps4nodrm which may have helped Sony end up with one of the most memorable E3s ever.

I wish Mr. Col Rodgers good luck with his life and family, and I hope Mort reexamines the way he gets and reports his information to ensure he doesn't mess up big like this again. If he does, I would happily continue to check out a blog/website he runs.

What a fuck up .. anybody else noticed that mort changed a lot post the DRM saga?

Not for me, I have always thought he was a decent guy. Disagreed with a few things like the quality of games and so forth but nothing major. Listen to his podcast.

I think he'll learn from this and maybe other "insiders" will look at it and learn when and not to say things.

KoopaTheCasual

So just forgetting for a second with that really unfortunate business with Col take a look at this:

So Mort himself admited that this is "office gossip". Isn't this really fucked up? He's basically saying Stig fucked up in a very major way and the guy is looking for a new job right now. He can't defend himself because obviously he is in no position (morally IMO but especially legally) to offer insight what happened at Sony. So he gets to say this stuff with nobody to argue otherwise. That's borderline slander and could be very harmful.

Yea, my heart really goes out to Col and his son, but I can't help but really wonder about Stig. I'm gonna be honest, that I took that $100 million figure at face value when I first heard, it and many other did too. That's not only damaging to Stig's reputation, but Sony's management and financials. That's a lot of money to say was just "wasted".

Seems to be a large contingent of people celebrating his downfall merely due to his reputation for leaning towards Sony. The names dancing on the dude's grave ... is, well... expected to say the least. Ironic, too.

after the xbox on fiasco there is a witchhunt on every guy who seems to be on the sony of the leaks

Camp Lo

Banned
I feel like this is a disaster that we have been fueling the flames of for some time. We actively seek out any rumor, tease, or PR bullshit and then get worked up into a frenzy over it. Just look at any of the recent threads about studio closings or staff leaving and count the amount of complete bullshit, hyperbole, and insults that are thrown about with abandon. I have been guilty of it myself more often than I am proud to admit.

The tone and quality of discussion on GAF seems to have declined as the industry has entered this transitional state. I've seen MOD's almost gleefully shitting on people in ways that would have gotten most accounts banned years ago.

At this point, what actually distinguishes this community from gamefaqs or any other forum?

This kind of drama is college grade compared to the middle school banter you'd get at those other sites tbh.

besada

Banned
I hope everybody learned something today, I know I did. Thread needs to be locked and we all should move on and talk about games. Stop speculating and gossiping like a bunch of high school girls, especially when involves people's lives and careers.

Actually, posters need to stop attempting to moderate the thread and stop telling other posters what to post. If you don't like the atmosphere of the thread, I suspect you can find the exit. If not, let me know and I'll help.

I know it OT, but I have to ask this: Has there been *anyone* other than FM who has ever claimed insider info that Sony ever planned to have their PS4 online-only DRM system in place (that FM claims his NODRM campaign reversed)?

EDGE claimed it would.

Gerstmann said it was a last minute decision to ditch the DRM.

Right after the PS4 reveal in Feb Yoshida specifically said there would be no DRM and there would be offline mode for anti-social people (his words).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

but for some reason people ignored this and offered a huge PR stunt for Sony, for free.

Loudninja

Actually, posters need to stop attempting to moderate the thread and stop telling other posters what to post. If you don't like the atmosphere of the thread, I suspect you can find the exit. If not, let me know and I'll help.
Agreed I am guilty of this too.

Not that I meant too though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom