• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KissVibes

Banned
To be fair, he wasn't the first one that said this.

krD4Mx0.png

Like I before said,

Pete Dodd takes shit rumored or talked about elsewhere (Hasn't Kevin Dent been wrong tons of times previously?), puts a spin on it, and calls it his insider information. What a great and upstanding guy that people should donate money to!!

Right after the PS4 reveal in Feb Yoshida specifically said there would be no DRM and there would be offline mode for anti-social people (his words).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

but for some reason people ignored this and offered a huge PR stunt for Sony, for free.

hahahaha wow.

Gestault

I bet ntkrnl fed mortimer the false info so that he could destroy Sony and NeoGAF. it really all makes sense once you examine these entrails

The snow is actually nanomachines from contrails so the UN can steal our water from California. The snow doesn't melt! Famousmortimer is just a puppet of the build-a-bear group. The signs are there.

I really hope that was the reference you were making.

okayfrog

Banned
This kind of drama is college grade compared to the middle school banter you'd get at those other sites tbh.

This so hard. It always makes me laugh when people say, "This site is turning into GameFAQs!" No, not it isn't. Take a look at the GameFAQs board. There's a good chance you haven't been on there since you were in your early teens. To compare that to NeoGAF is just wrong.

Actually, posters need to stop attempting to moderate the thread and stop telling other posters what to post. If you don't like the atmosphere of the thread, I suspect you can find the exit. If not, let me know and I'll help.

Thank you. As someone just now getting home and catching up, I appreciate the thread still being open. :)

What is the GAF policy on people posting "insider rumors"?

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like this is a disaster that we have been fueling the flames of for some time. We actively seek out any rumor, tease, or PR bullshit and then get worked up into a frenzy over it. Just look at any of the recent threads about studio closings or staff leaving and count the amount of complete bullshit, hyperbole, and insults that are thrown about with abandon. I have been guilty of it myself more often than I am proud to admit.

The tone and quality of discussion on GAF seems to have declined as the industry has entered this transitional state. I've seen MOD's almost gleefully shitting on people in ways that would have gotten most accounts banned years ago.

At this point, what actually distinguishes this community from gamefaqs or any other forum?

This is it in a nutshell and I have been sitting back thinking the same for months now. Letting all of these rumors spin out of control and take on a life of their own does more damage to the industry we love than any real actual 'leak' ever could. The shit is out of control, and often times it's just pure off base FUD. GAF is better than that... much better. I have seen it and know it for a fact.

Marc

Just catching up on this, holy crap. Terrible, absolutely shameful stuff.

What I don't understand is, even if you believed 100% what you were saying or even if it was actually true... why share that? What do you gain from it? Screwing over a guy's future who likely has a family to support gets you what? The reasons for performing badly at your job can be numerous, many times outside of your hands, it happens... does that mean you deserve to have your future in question?

Best wishes to the family and good luck, would be nice of GAF to put together some kind of charity donation to Col Rodgers and the family. I would certainly like to, but don't know any reliable sites to do this.

This so hard. It always makes me laugh when people say, "This site is turning into GameFAQs!" No, not it isn't. Take a look at the GameFAQs board. There's a good chance you haven't been on there since you were in your early teens. To compare that to NeoGAF is just wrong.
I started at IGN. Its bad there.

troushers

Who would be a fucking insider? What a thankless task. I've just read the last 5 or 6 pages of people expressing their joy at someone else's permaban. Gaf feels schizophrenic to me at times, either lauding someone to the heavens for giving them their drug, the inside info they constantly crave, or stamping on them in case of error.

Mort has explained his sequence of events, and it seems plausible to me. I don't find it plausible that he would deliberately set out to hurt someone he didn't know by spreading false rumours, I think he was just passing on something he was told without his usual care, in a moment of weakness.

The glee some feel in this makes me laugh. I remember hearing Frankie Boyle making the point that people on the Internet furiously angry at some breakfast television presenter must themselves lead unfufilling lives. Like, if that is your arch nemesis, what does it say about you? I think that applies here somewhat.

I wonder if the mods could actually check when mort logged in to neogaf today and logged out last night. It seems, by taking his light hearted tweet as his 'response' and permabanning him, they assume too much, or rather, they assume something they could probably check at their end.

Maybe we could express our sympathy with Col. Rodgers more productively by joining an organ donation register. (uk, us). You can spare a kidney to help people with diseases that don't respond to drugs. In the unlikely event he's reading this, I wish him and his family all the best.

Who would be a fucking insider? What a thankless task. I've just read the last 5 or 6 pages of people expressing their joy at someone else's permaban. Gaf feels schizophrenic to me at times, either lauding someone to the heavens for giving them their drug, the inside info they constantly crave, or stamping on them in case of error.

Mort has explained his sequence of events, and it seems plausible to me. I don't find it plausible that he would deliberately set out to hurt someone he didn't know by spreading false rumours, I think he was just passing on something he was told without his usual care, in a moment of weakness.

The glee some feel in this makes me laugh. I remember hearing Frankie Boyle making the point that people on the Internet furiously angry at some breakfast television presenter must themselves lead unfufilling lives. Like, if that is your arch nemesis, what does it say about you? I think that applies here somewhat.

I wonder if the mods could actually check when mort logged in to neogaf today and logged out last night. It seems, by taking his light hearted tweet as his 'response' and permabanning him, they assume too much, or rather, they assume something they could probably check at their end.

Maybe we could express our sympathy with Col. Rodgers more productively by joining an organ donation register. (uk, us). You can spare a kidney to help people with diseases that don't respond to drugs. In the unlikely event he's reading this, I wish him and his family all the best.

Maybe we should get back to the old "according to sources" routine. Remaining anonymous could be a blessing in disguise.

KoopaTheCasual

Just catching up on this, holy crap. Terrible, absolutely shameful stuff.

What I don't understand is, even if you believed 100% what you were saying or even if it was actually true... why share that? What do you gain from it? Screwing over a guy's future who likely has a family to support gets you what? The reasons for performing badly at your job can be numerous, many times outside of your hands, it happens... does that mean you deserve to have your future in question?

Best wishes to the family and good luck, would be nice of GAF to put together some kind of charity donation to Col Rodgers and the family. I would certainly like to, but don't know any reliable sites to do this.
Fame and ego. That's usually what it is.

We have 1st party employees on these boards, but they don't ever want to leak things, because they know it doesn't make a difference, and only leads to trouble.

Tripon

He suggested it was a network show in his tweets which no longer exist.

Seems fishy to me, bro!

Eh, like anything else, plans change. Considering that Spike has been moving away from video game coverage, doing a live show on Twitch was probably the best everyone could do. If you want to call Pete Dodd a liar based on that, I guess that's your prerogative.

Keep in mind that this campaign has flexible funding (he gets your money even if it fails) and has already been extended once already after failing to me it's target of eight grand.

Indigogo offered him to extend the campaign another 30 days.

Sendou

Is there a legit reason to leak information other than:

1) Personal fame

2) Wanting to hurt an organization

3) Guerilla marketing

Can't think of one myself. Oh yeah of course 4) Genuine love for this hobby and excitement for it. What a stupid overlook.

besada

Banned
Gaf feels schizophrenic to me at times, either lauding someone to the heavens for giving them their drug, the inside info they constantly crave, or stamping on them in case of error.

That might be because GAF is an enormous collective, not a single person, and therefore is unlikely to have any sort of consistent opinion. That's why we often ban people for speaking as if GAF were a monolithic entity.

Beyond that, as always, if you want to discuss moderation policy, you should probably PM a mod.

Shinta

Banned
These days it's like

#YOFUO

You only fuck up once.

I saw a guy banned yesterday for asking if that was still the policy. I don't know if I'll ever understand that one. I think it's useful to have a clear policy on it for exactly these types of situations, and it helps maintain a little accountability. I don't expect it to be ironclad each time, as there's always variations ...

Frolow

Banned
I feel like this is a disaster that we have been fueling the flames of for some time. We actively seek out any rumor, tease, or PR bullshit and then get worked up into a frenzy over it. Just look at any of the recent threads about studio closings or staff leaving and count the amount of complete bullshit, hyperbole, and insults that are thrown about with abandon. I have been guilty of it myself more often than I am proud to admit.

The tone and quality of discussion on GAF seems to have declined as the industry has entered this transitional state. I've seen MOD's almost gleefully shitting on people in ways that would have gotten most accounts banned years ago.

At this point, what actually distinguishes this community from gamefaqs or any other forum?
Gamefaqs = Console wars for 12 year olds.
Neogaf = Console wars for 21 year olds

Seriously though, I agree with the sentiment that GAF has declined in the past few years. I've seen a great deal more "console war" type topics, I.E digital foundry threads, this past year that would have been an absolute no-go back in like, say, 2009. And just in general, the quality of posts has declined. I think the one of the biggest problems is that a fair number of people on GAF judge others with opposing views as the "enemy," and not simply the opposition.

1) Personal fame

3) Guerilla marketing

Can't think of one myself. Oh yeah of course 4) Genuine love for this hobby and excitement for it. What a stupid overlook.

Wanting to validate an organization (ntkrnl)

Best of luck in both your personal and professional life, Col. I appreciate the hard work you put into Drive Club and I look forward to playing it some day. I'll follow your new company too.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

so true.

i dont get the appeal either, it's a thankless job. with that said, thank's cboat et al for the leaks.

okayfrog

Banned

Seriously though, I agree with the sentiment that GAF has declined in the past few years. I've seen a great deal more "console war" type topics, I.E digital foundry threads, this past year that would have been an absolute no-go back in like, say, 2009. And just in general, the quality of posts has declined. I think the one of the biggest problems is that a fair number of people on GAF judge others with opposing views as the "enemy," and not simply the opposition.

I think it's understandable that there have been more console war topics lately seeing as how there have been three new consoles released over the past year and a half.

The Llama

The easy answer is it got more popular. It isn't an unknown entity anymore, a haven where people could discuss video games in peace. Now it (and its "insiders") are cited in headlines.

Vire

1) Personal fame

3) Guerilla marketing

You forgot insane and irrational loyalty for a corporate entity.

Ever notice how mort's "inside sauce" was always in defense or proactive for Sony as a company?
I have no beef with mod policy, it is your show. But you seem to me to be in a position to actually physically check the truth of what Dodd says. Maybe it's not possible. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference?

Might you guys(and gals) have made a mistake, though?

Mistaken? The creative director himself came onto GAF to clear his own name...

troushers

That might be because GAF is an enormous collective, not a single person, and therefore is unlikely to have any sort of consistent opinion. That's why we often ban people for speaking as if GAF were a monolithic entity.

Beyond that, as always, if you want to discuss moderation policy, you should probably PM a mod.

I have no beef with mod policy, it is your show. But you seem to me to be in a position to actually physically check the truth of what Dodd says. Maybe it's not possible. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference?

Might you guys(and gals) have made a mistake, though?

Darknight

Damn hope Col's son gets better.

And this folks is why I think its stupid to go on some meltdown when someone from a company leaves. They have their own lives. Shit happens and they must move on, do whatever for their family/themselves.

I still dont get why some have to speculate some fetish doom scenarios every time someone leaves a dev team. Just like Amy and ND, and stuff like this. Stuff happens, it between the company and them. People move on, this happens all over the world in every work place. Its normal.

Anyways hope everything goes well for that dude who left Evolution to take care of this kid. Hope his start up works out aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom