• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

iMax

I still don't know what ADS is. Sorry xD

What does that mean?

You know on most shooters when you pull left trigger to bring the weapon's scope up to your eye? That's ADS.

And, I have to say HaloGAF... I quite like it.

brace_2507261b.jpg

I think it would work well. For some weapons. Particularly AR.
You have a reticule on the HUD, even if you ADS with the AR it will still have the same level of accuracy as it's more of a "spray and pray" weapon. The difference been with the reticule you can still look around, react and fight. ADS you are stuck with a clunky narrow view for the duration.

The only weapons ADS would work with or be remotely useful is precision weapons (BR, Carbine etc) but we already have zoom in the HUD which is perfect for the job.

I can't justify ADS when we already have a perfect system, apart from chasing COD kids and their parents money.

Woorloog

Banned
After the ADS talk we now have someone who wants weapon customizing as a feature.

SMH

Weapon customization would probably work in Halo, assuming it is something you can do while playing, not just in menus*, its main issue is that it would probably end up being replacing weapons.
On the other hand that might not be a bad thing.
Consider old arena shooters. A significant point in their balancing is that everyone can have every weapon (indeed, this actually allows for more outlandish weapons that don't work in Halo due to being so highly specialized picking them up isn't worth). Arguably weapon customization would bring Halo closer to this, at least partially (combine a few basic weapons into a customizable gun).
Might and will have problems, but nothing like ADS causes, like turning the game into a twitch shooter, and whatever other issues ADS has, especially for a game like Halo.

*BTW, ditch the loadout system too. While i like starting with the Lightrifle, the loadout system causes more problems than the good points (letting people start with the style they want) of it are worth.
While at it, make certain weapons basically identical with each other, and use them maps where they make sense, cosmetically (ie Lightrifles are found on Forerunner themed maps in place of BRs). Solves some balancing issues. Boring, yes, but we don't really need a million weapons that are superficially different, and thus one of them being better than others in the end, but have same role.

Mistel

Banned
While at it, make certain weapons basically identical with each other, and use them maps where they make sense, cosmetically (ie Lightrifles are found on Forerunner themed maps in place of BRs).
Why not just have a single weapon instead of bloating the sandbox.

jem0208

Weapon customization would probably work in Halo, assuming it is something you can do while playing, not just in menus*, its main issue is that it would probably end up being replacing weapons.
On the other hand that might not be a bad thing.
Consider old arena shooters. A significant point in their balancing is that everyone can have every weapon (indeed, this actually allows for more outlandish weapons that don't work in Halo due to being so highly specialized picking them up isn't worth). Arguably weapon customization would bring Halo closer to this, at least partially (combine a few basic weapons into a customizable gun).
Might and will have problems, but nothing like ADS causes, like turning the game into a twitch shooter, and whatever other issues ADS has, especially for a game like Halo.

*BTW, ditch the loadout system too. While i like starting with the Lightrifle, the loadout system causes more problems than the good points (letting people start with the style they want) of it are worth.
While at it, make certain weapons basically identical with each other, and use them maps where they make sense, cosmetically (ie Lightrifles are found on Forerunner themed maps in place of BRs). Solves some balancing issues. Boring, yes, but we don't really need a million weapons that are superficially different, and thus one of them being better than others in the end, but have same role.

I would love for them to implement weapon customisation, as long as it was entirely cosmetic. Give us a bunch of skins and alternate scopes (as long as they don't affect the gameplay in any way) etc. Do something similar to CoD where you can stamp your emblem on the weapon. The weapon skins in 4 were really cool but locking them behind pre-orders etc was really annoying.

I really like the armour customisation in Reach and 4, however you hardly ever see your armour. I'd like to be able to customise something you regularly see.

Woorloog

Banned
Why not just have a single weapon instead of bloating the sandbox.

Because that would lead to a situation as Halo CE had.
Where are enemy mid-range combatants? Would they use the human pistol, or do we add a weapon for them (Carbine). What about Prometheans? What kind of weapon they have for mid range?
By homogenizing these weapons, we can have cosmetic differences that makes sense but without the balance issue.
Of course we could continue with Halo 4-like system, where balancing them perfectly is practically impossible. The DMR was and is the best weapon in Halo 4 when it comes to all-around utility.
Naturally my solution has some issues... Do we make the Carbine a burst weapon or do we give humans Carbine-like weapon?

I guess having merely two different mid-range weapons would work (BR and Carbine) but with three different factions, that would be a bit odd.

EDIT Or perhaps some weapons could be limited to the campaign. But why not use them as alternatives in the multiplayer for some maps? Keep cosmetic variety.

Woorloog

Banned
I would love for them to implement weapon customisation, as long as it was entirely cosmetic. Give us a bunch of skins and alternate scopes (as long as they don't affect the gameplay in any way) etc. Do something similar to CoD where you can stamp your emblem on the weapon. The weapon skins in 4 were really cool but locking them behind pre-orders etc was really annoying.

I really like the armour customisation in Reach and 4, however you hardly ever see your armour. I'd like to be able to customise something you regularly see.

I'm not talking about visual customization (naturally my concept would include that to an extent). I really don't care about such thing. My concept is functional one.

EDIT i just realized that somewhat ironically i don't care about cosmetic customization really, but cosmetic variation is important. If i have to play the game using the same looking gun all the time, i get bored.

Mistel

Banned
EDIT Or perhaps some weapons could be limited to the campaign. But why not use them as alternatives in the multiplayer for some maps? Keep cosmetic variety.
Limit promethians weapons to campaign they aren't interesting enough to warrant their inclusion in multiplayer. Have the multiplayer sand box human and covenant.

Woorloog

Banned
Limit promethians weapons to campaign they aren't interesting enough to warrant their inclusion in multiplayer. Have the multiplayer sand box human and covenant.

This would allow making the Promethean weapons more... odd, too.
Still, Halo multiplayer could use more interesting weapons, like old shooters had.
Think they could replicate that bio goo gun (can't recall the name) from Unreal Tournament for Halo?
EDIT also upgrade the Scattershot to be more like the Flak Gun, not just fancy shotgun.

Woorloog

Banned
Like the brute shot, grenade launcher, and plasma launcher?

Yup.
Ditch the Fuel Rod (from multiplayer at least) in favor the Plasma Launcher, the FRG is but a Rocket Launcher variant. Arguably the Plasma Launcher is that too, but sufficiently different it is no big deal.
Rework the Scattershot to be more like the UT Flak Gun. And speaking of Promethean weapons, the Binary Rifle and Incinerator Cannon should be campaign exclusive weapons.
Replace the Covie sniper with the Focus Rifle (while the Beam Rifle is a tad different from the human sniper, it isn't different enough really, unlike the Focus Rifle).
And add other new, interesting weapons.

EDIT Reach had, despite its flaws, pretty good sandbox, probably the most variety of all Halos. Ignoring some balance issues like the Plasma Repeater being utterly useless...

Nirvana

I think the main thing 343 needs to focus on is keeping the maps tight and interesting. Halo 4 lacked real close quarters maps, mostly because they needed room for sprint, which I think should go, as it is essentially unnecessary. Just make the default movespeed faster and add a sprint animation for moving at top speed; all you are doing by adding sprint in as an option is adding in a button press that compensates for slower general game speed.

Also no ADS. I like how sharp aiming feels in Halo compared to other shooters. You are in and out instantly, as opposed to waiting for an animation, followed by a ton of blur for 'realism',

I think loadouts work overall, especially if it means I don't have to ever play Team ARs again (fuck that gun) and customisation for aesthetic purposes is also a cool feature.

I really want the old arena feel back. Where map control was important and you didn't have to worry about random SAWs because some guy got a triple kill from a lucky plasma grenade. Predictability can be a good thing.

jelly

I'm not sure of dumping sprint or increasing the base speed. It's good for large maps, not so good for arena ones.

Anyone think the jetpack should go or become a double jump of some sort ?

Camo back to being a one use power up on maps ?

I'm not sure of dumping sprint or increasing the base speed. It's good for large maps, not so good for arena ones.

Anyone think the jetpack should go or become a double jump of some sort ?

Camo back to being a one use power up on maps ?

Sprint and jetpack need to go. Camo should be a power up. No one should have camo on demand.

Madness

Thread. Some interesting discussion.

You're either going to have gamers who are removed from the industry going to question the secretive nature of the games industry and wonder what the big deal is, and hardly anyone will try and see it from the point of view Frank tried to give. We just don't know how long they had the name, what the embargo entailed, who knew, and why they wanted to wait until 3AM that day to announce.

I mean, I loved the leak, confusing as it was. I thought it would be some Halo 5 teaser during the release of the movie or in a preview before the movie or something. Who knew he was teasing "Guardians".

What are we even discussing anymore though? My point was to say Destiny is a game with ADS gameplay. You said no, it's optional. And yes, you can choose to play the game however you want, you can run around knifing people 24/7, that doesn't change the fact the gunplay is primarily centered around ADS weapons which is what those images were to show you in a sense, the pistol and the main assault rifle etc.

So while you may never use iron sights, holographic sights, acog sights and will hipfire, it doesn't mean someone you play against won't ADS and there is no way they won't have ADS be less accurate than a hipfire. I think we're ultimately arguing two separate things here. I disagree with the assertion it's optional. It's an ADS shooter. Most of the weapons seem designed around this. Either way, beta is almost here. We'll be playing it soon enough. I wonder how we'll even organize any kind of HaloGAF/DestinyGAF customs since tons will be ps4 only, others will be Xbox One, and quite a few may be Xbox 360.

You are right, see its cool man, its cool. We are discussing without insulting each other.

Automatic down sights.

I felt a great disturbance in the force. Imagine a COD with automatic ADS, good lord

You're either going to have gamers who are removed from the industry going to question the secretive nature of the games industry and wonder what the big deal is, and hardly anyone will try and see it from the point of view Frank tried to give. We just don't know how long they had the name, what the embargo entailed, who knew, and why they wanted to wait until 3AM that day to announce.

I mean, I loved the leak, confusing as it was. I thought it would be some Halo 5 teaser during the release of the movie or in a preview before the movie or something. Who knew he was teasing "Guardians".
I can see both sides, but I'm more inclined to agree with the developer perspective. As odd as the secretive nature of games can seem, people bust their asses and devote large portions of their time and life to creating a sense of excitement for a big reveal, only to have it diminished by some forum "hero" who wants to be internet famous. I think it speaks more to the "give it to me yesterday" personalities of pop culture addicts than it does the individual leaker; imagine how many sub par sites would wither and die on the vine if leaks were ignored and/or frowned upon on a global scale (I'm talking strictly pop culture: movies, games, etc.). I'd love it if that were the case, but I also understand how reality works.

Off topic, seeing non-green screen creatures in Star Wars makes me very happy.

I think it would work well. For some weapons. Particularly AR.
You're losing a fraction of every second it takes to use ADS and shoot in comparison not using it and still hitting your targets with the exact precision. It takes away time for useful tactics to move, jump, throw nades, pick up objects, and etc.

There's no real positive for ads in halo.

ADS has no place in Halo. None. It's already a huge strike against Destiny that Bungie would be silly enough to include it in their game, but maybe Activision mandates it in their contract or something.

Putting a scope on an already powerful Assault Rifle would completely undermine it's role as a non-precision utility weapon.

ADS has no place in Halo. None. It's already a huge strike against Destiny that Bungie would be silly enough to include it in their game, but maybe Activision mandates it in their contract or something.

Putting a scope on an already powerful Assault Rifle would completely undermine it's role as a non-precision utility weapon.

Perks, sprint, killstreaks, and instant respawn didn't have a place in Halo either.

Perks, sprint, killstreaks, and instant respawn didn't have a place in Halo either.
and fingers crossed that they'll be eliminated in Halo 5.

But now it does. Will they continue it in the future? That will be interesting to see.
Just because it's IN the game, doesn't mean it necessarily BELONGS in the game. 343 was in an odd position to make their mark on the franchise, and in my opinion overreached with some ideas that ended up costing the game a shitload of longtime players.

We need a "Why ADS is a dumb idea for Halo" FAQ for people who apparently can't be bothered to read two pages back or forgot to take off their COD goggles. Maybe if I get bored enough later.

EDIT: Kame I think you are confused

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want a gun called the noodler that shoots noodles.

Make it happen or no sale, Frankles.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Noodles that make the enemy fat and explode? :D
Nah, noodles that slap against your visor and make sloppy noodle sounds. They can also be aimed at legs to serve as an instant snare, I guess, but that sounds OP.

Anyways, please support my twitter campaign. #TheNoodlerInHalo5OrNoSaleYouThinkImJokingImNot

Tawpgun

Alternative to sprint: Make the sprint button a speed boost with a cool down. Spartans should be able to run fast and aim at the same time.

Speed Boost will essentially be like Stim in Titanfall. You have full range of movement and aiming but you just go faster.

So when you hit it the animation will show your gun swaying back and forth a bit more, but it will stabilize once you choose to shoot. This way, we can have something that will please the crowd that wants to be able to move faster sometimes because modern shooters and please the people that want to be able to shoot at all times.

But honestly, sprint is one of the least problematic things that happened to Halo. Pretty much only affected maps.

Top Bottom