• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2: Real-Emergence Thread of Cubed Meat - HD Gameplay up!

DoomGyver

Found a bit of info from CVG and GameDaily

Campaign

In Gears 2, we've got dozens of surprises in every level that will keep people talking for months to come.

Most importantly, we're finally able to answer some of the nagging questions that gamers have had since the first game.

Regarding the characters and their humanity, yes, we're definitely exploring it more in the sequel. Dom's growing increasingly desperate in his search for his wife Maria, and he demands answers. In the first game, humanity's back was up against the wall, and now they're about to be tossed over that wall as their one last safe city is now threatened. Tensions flare and the stakes are higher than ever, and the game really ventures down into some really dark places. Story-wise we take some risks that I've never seen in a videogame before. I think people will be a little surprised.

Multiplayer

I can't reveal too much at this point, unfortunately. One can deduce that with the gameplay and technology improvements featured in Gears 2 that there are going to be many, many more palm sweat-inducing moments in multiplayer. Let's just say that when a torquebow shot hits right next to you and misses, and the wall busts into chunks, you'll be glad your foe had poor aim. Players will really feel like they're in a sci-fi multiplayer version of Black Hawk Down.

We have many, many optimizations planned for Gears 2 that will *drastically* reduce these issues as well as another few tricks up our sleeves that I'm not able to reveal quite yet. Trust me that it's really high on our list of things to make right.

Oh, and that cheesy online technique of shotgun rolling to gib people is suddenly going to be less effective as bullets taken from the front will slow you down.

Meat Shield

Basically when you knock over an enemy, either by shooting them in the knees or in multiplayer knocking them down, you can walk up to them and press A - then you grab them and you have a human shield. If the enemies keep shooting at you eventually the body will decay, but you can break the neck of the guy, throw him off to the side - do whatever you want with him.

How does that work in multiplayer?

Cliffy B: It's the same exact view that you saw. Basically once the guy is grabbed he goes back into the spawn queue, so he's effectively dead. But you're still carrying his body around. That's the way that will work.

Aladuf

Banned
Cliffy B: It's the same exact view that you saw. Basically once the guy is grabbed he goes back into the spawn queue, so he's effectively dead. But you're still carrying his body around. That's the way that will work.

Nice. I was wondering how that would work.

DoomGyver

Oh, and that cheesy online technique of shotgun rolling to gib people is suddenly going to be less effective as bullets taken from the front will slow you down.

I think this will play out really well. There will be a lot less people running right towards you, through our freaking lancer bullets only to one shot you with the shotgun.

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
I think this will play out really well. There will be a lot less people running right towards you, through our freaking lancer bullets only to one shot you with the shotgun.

Ugh. Yeah, that shit got really lame.

tha_con

Banned
I would have liked to see the ability to 'rescue' team members from people using them as meat shields, that would be amazing, lol.

Or blasting through a fellow team mate in a hostage situation to win the game!

"Look, just kill me, it's the only way!"

rofl, so much cheese.

Velocity

Full Recovery said:

I really want to read more on the tweaks and changes they've made to Gears 2 multiplayer. It's starting to sound like things that were sometimes cheap or random in the first game will get smoothed out in Gears of War 2. I don't know what to think of the bullet slowing just yet, but something as tiny as that can be huge in terms of gameplay strategy. Not to mention the destructible environments and being able to take "hostages". I mean that's definitely gonna be huge.

Gears 2 is definitely going to change the way we currently go about playing Gears multiplayer past its core mechanics. It's adding more depth; for the better, hopefully.

RBH

^^Thanks for posting that.

Almost all of that sounds nice, but.....
- a new stamina bar will determine for how long your character can run and fight, the lower the stamina, the worse your performance will be.
I'm a bit uncertain about this in particular.

Kafel

Banned
tha_con said:
I would have liked to see the ability to 'rescue' team members from people using them as meat shields, that would be amazing, lol.

That would be cool : if you headshot the ennemy you save your friend.

-> it's possible to have a meat shield but there's a risk the guy won't die after all. I like this idea.

Aladuf

Banned
- a new stamina bar will determine for how long your character can run and fight, the lower the stamina, the worse your performance will be.

Until I see this in action, I will say "DO NOT WANT!"

DoomGyver

Aladuf23 said:
Until I see this in action, I will say "DO NOT WANT!"

Seems like Epic is attempting to have more control over the pace of the game. As long as it's paced right we probably won't even notice it.

Kind of like in COD4 when you can only sprint for a certain distance.

Anybody know when 1up is going to post those multiplayer videos? June 3rd?

Aladuf

Banned
_dementia said:
Ninja Gaiden II beat MGS4 for Game of the Month? Awesome if true.

Not true. skip just debunked that in the thread for this months EGM. He said that there is no review for MGS4 in this issue, it will be out next issue.

_dementia said:
Ninja Gaiden II beat MGS4 for Game of the Month? Awesome if true.

Sounds like they didn't review MGS in that issue according to Skip. Strange.

EDIT: Beaten. Still strange they didnt review MGS this month.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, now I wanna wait to see if the Gears info is real, just based on the fact that the MGS4 stuff is fake, meaning that the rest could be fake as well...

Then again, skip said that the rest sounded real to him, although he didn't have the mag with him to confirm - damn.

I think I'll wait for confirmation first...

Full Recovery said:

Meh. Thats a result of bullet lag. That shit isn't a huge risk on lan at all. Lancers are strong enough after patch to kill in a second or more of direct fire. If Cliffy fixes bullet lag, then I see no reason for why this is necessary.

This is actually pretty big for me and kind of lame. If your incapable of dodging movements
with your shotgun, that takes a fairly large part of what makes gears gears. Similar to the pistol in Halo 1.

If I want to jump in your face, come out of the roll and blow your face apart, that should be my option. If its laggy as hell and you can't stop me with your lancer due to lag, thats Epics problem and it needs to be fixed.

But I don't know exactly how this is specified anyway. Does it cancel the roll? Slow you down extremely? We'll see.

Ramirez

I don't have a problem with someone roadie running and then rolling into a shot. The thing that pissed me off was how most duels just dissolved into people constantly jumping and rolling around like tards hip firing their shotgun, that was trash.

Aladuf

Banned
Ramirez said:
I don't have a problem with someone roadie running and then rolling into a shot. The thing that pissed me off was how most duels just dissolved into people constantly jumping and rolling around like tards hip firing their shotgun, that was trash.

And yet if you look at Youtube and see the videos/montages people put up of their Gears shit they all consider that "skill" especially with the sniper rifle, when in fact it all just seems like pure luck.

When I snipe (which is always) I don't sit there and bounce around and try to get some ridiculous and very random headshot, instead I aim and shoot... you know, like you're supposed to do with a gun!

From Gametrailers Forum:

i just bought this months x360 magazine and it has a lot of details on gears 2 multiplayer.

-New weapon Scorcher (Flamethrower) "most realistic fire in a game we've ever seen"
-5 vs 5
-Assasination gametype altered. everyone respawns until their leader is dead. when the leader is killed they stop rewpawing and the game ends when everyone is dead on one team.
-Assasination renamed 'Guardian'.
-New gametype 'Wingman' 10 players split into teams of two.each team is played as different character (eg marcus and marcus vs Dom and Dom etc)
-Features Matchmaking
-Exectucions now vary on the weapon you holding (eg sniper rifle will be used like a golf club)
-Curb stomp returns
-'Y' will cause your character to unleach several brutal punches to a downed enemy, killing him.
-'A' will cause you to pick up the enemy and use him as a shield. The player your using as a shield will go to the respawn line.
-New gametype 'meatflag' sort of like CTF but epic have done this in their own way. The flag will instead be character wandering around the centre of the map. He has his own weapons and even a place on the leaderboard.
To capture him you will need to down him and pick him up as a meatshield and take him back, slowly, to your base. If you shoot the meatflag enough times while he's being dragged back to base, his captor will loose him and he'll go crazy on everyone around him.
-Specific weapons will cycle round the maps.
-Stopping power - if your running towards an enemy but he is firing straight into your chest, you will slow down.
-The oppurtunity to spawn with either the lancer or hammerburst.
-Hammerburst gone through significant alterations. The faster you tap the the right trigger, the faster it fires. quicker shooting = more recoil however.
-New weapon Medusa. could be considered a power weapon. 6 shots per burst.
-Bullet shields. big metal shield that stops you from getting hit. can be planted into the ground to make a new cover. enemies can kick it down though if they get close enough.
-Grenades can be stuck anywhere. not just on enemies. they can be planted on the ground,walls,doors etc to produce a proximity mine.
-smoke grenades carry a stun effect that ragdolls anyone in range.
-new weapon poison gas grenade. produces a cloud of smoke that kills anything that lingers in it. they can be stuck onto enemies were the will slowly die. people stuck by the gas grenade can also injure team-mates if the get too close.
-On games with no respawn, when you are dead you can fly around the map as a "ghost cam". You can even take screenshots that will be uploaded to the community.
-Gridlock returns. However its more overgrown now, plants and grass growing.
(everything is still the same though- cars are where they where etc)
-New map - 'river' - symetrical map, each team has a thin strip of land with a house and sniping tower, and inbetween them a river.
-New map - 'Security' - long thin map. to the left and right are stairs leading to veranda's that run the entire length of the map. you are barred access however by red lasers, which will kill you if attempting to pass through. A power weapon is barred on the other side of the map while at the other it is defended by sentry guns. There is a button in the middle of the map that turns the lasers and sentry's off for 20 seconds.
-New locust 'hammerhead' (helmet makes him look sorta like a hammerhead shark)
-New locust 'Grenadier' (this is the guy we saw in the video were marcus punches him to death)
-Two people can chainsaw one guy at the same time.
-New cog 'Tai' has aboriginal tattoo's.
-New cog 'Dizzy' "looks like chuck Norris"
-Cole returns for multiplayer at least.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=408593

Eriatarka

Banned
-On games with no respawn, when you are dead you can fly around the map as a "ghost cam". You can even take screenshots that will be uploaded to the community.

OH MY GOD

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GHOST CAM

JESUS FUCK

FLAME THROWER

JESUS FUCK

MEAT FLAG

JESUS FUCK

SNIPER RIFLE = GOLF CLUB

JESUS FUCK

MATCHMAKING

JESUS FUCK

+++++++++++++++SO MUCH MORE

Sorry every other multiplayer game, you lose.

Sean

Banned
Sounds like Epic is adding a lot of stuff for a relatively short development time.

Meat Flag sounds ridiculously awsome. And using the sniper rifle as a golf club to execute people? Fucking rad.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Emiru said:
Wait Cole Train aint gonna be in Sigle player? :mad:

"at least"

Meaning that we know it's confirmed he'll be in the multiplayer, singleplayer I guess isn't "officially confirmed."

But that ain't true either because CB said that Baird and Cole come in the game but not in the beginning, atleast I think that's what was said.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
mc_dancing_1.gif

Yoboman

MaizeRage25 said:
Sounds like they didn't review MGS in that issue according to Skip. Strange.

EDIT: Beaten. Still strange they didnt review MGS this month.
Probably don't have 3 EGM editors who've completed it.

Hammer24

Banned
Darunia said:
where is that said? Or when? awesome if true

In this very thread! They said they´d make the achievements count no matter if you play SP, COOP or MP. *does-the-happy-dance*

Edit:

Read here:
There's just time for a few questions, starting with one about how the Achievements system will work this time around. "I don't want to get into too much of the multiplayer right now, but one thing I can confirm is we are doing Achievement progress," he says. "So players can track how far they're getting with each Achievement in whatever mode.

"We're also going to be throttling the amount of Achievements players can get at any given point." For example, if you're going for headshots, only the first headshot will count when you're in multiplayer mode. "The others won't count, so players won't be able to rock the system and play at getting headshots the entire round just to get their Achievement," explains Bleszinski, before adding that you'll be able to get all Achievements whether in single-player, multiplayer or co-op.

FightyF

Banned
-'A' will cause you to pick up the enemy and use him as a shield. The player your using as a shield will go to the respawn line.

Such an awesome idea. Simply brilliant.

At first I thought it was an SP only feature, but to have in MP...too awesome.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hammer24 said:
"We're also going to be throttling the amount of Achievements players can get at any given point." For example, if you're going for headshots, only the first headshot will count when you're in multiplayer mode. "The others won't count, so players won't be able to rock the system and play at getting headshots the entire round just to get their Achievement," explains Bleszinski, before adding that you'll be able to get all Achievements whether in single-player, multiplayer or co-op.

This is perfect. Achievements still attainable in MP for those who want, but boosting is blocked. AND everything attainable in sp or co-op. You can't ask for much more.

Epic seems to have listened to every complaint, props.

I'm just glad that Epic will probably fix almost every flaw that the MP has.

- the MP from Gears is too much Pumpgun oriented, you can attack a guy like a raging bull and shoot him into pieces. <- not possible if there is bullet stopping

- the maps get way too much sniper and boomshot oriented (besides the pumpgun), people only run to those two weapons, some people do the same stuff at 99% of the time <- not possible if there are random weapon respawns

- hopefully no more god mode for chainsaws

- its good that they have left the MP so small. Gears always felt very "personal" and "intimate" to me and thats why I play it the most. So its a good thing that wont get changed.

Top Bottom