• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Awesomeness (MGS4 = 40/40, Tenchu 4 and Runefactory Frontier for Wii)

1stStrike said:
I have a feeling MGS4 is going to go the way of GTA IV. All 10's, but once we all get our grubby hands on it we'll all be like, "Wtf, they must be smoking crack."

It really hasn't been getting 10's across the board though (not that it hasn't received 10's, it's just not like GTA4). Reviewers have been much more critical of it in comparison to GTA4.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
:lol As if Famitsu reviews hold any kind of value. Guess you really love your Nintendogs too?
I was alittle suprised to see that Nintendogs got 40/40 to be honest (although i have only played it for like 5-10 minutes so i cant say too much about the game), but in 10 years only 8 games have received a score of 40/40 in Famitsu. That alone says something on how hard it is to get a 40/40 score, in my opinion atleast. I have no idea how many games Famitsu have reviewed in this time frame (10 years), but i guess it must be several of hundres.

duckroll

SolidSnakex said:
It really hasn't been getting 10's across the board though. Reviewers have been much more critical of it in comparison to GTA4.

Maybe he meant FFXII. :lol

I still love FFXII! I will defend it with my life!

1stStrike

Banned
Hero of legend said:
Now people are calling the 360 last gen hardware? What's next?

psp > 360

duckroll said:
Maybe he meant FFXII. :lol

I still love FFXII! I will defend it with my life!

Nay. I got 5 hours into it before I was so bored I just saved, shut the system down and went to bed. This is the 2nd FF I've not been able to finish. The first was FFX-2, which was like a cheap imitation of charlie's angels. That pose thing they did in the beginning of the game..ugh.

Dascu

Hmm, there's a new and better Tenchu scan out. Looks alright, I guess. Seems you can throw shurikens with the Wiimote.

Edit: Woah, new 2D Wii sidescroller shmup game from Starfish. It's the sequel to that Monkey King shooter.

duckroll

1stStrike said:
Nay. I got 5 hours into it before I was so bored I just saved, shut the system down and went to bed. This is the 2nd FF I've not been able to finish. The first was FFX-2, which was like a cheap imitation of charlie's angels. That pose thing they did in the beginning of the game..ugh.

FFXII got 40/40 from Famitsu too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MGS4 gets a 40. Wow.

FAPFAPFAPFAP

Neomoto

The new scan of Tenchu 4 does indeed look better.

There is also a new (high quality) scan of Rune Factory Frontier. It looks awesome!

Dascu

wsippel said:
No, it's seems to be a seperate thing. And it's just a single line:

$MOONSPEAK Action RPG <From Software> Wii

And that's it...

Hmmm, Moon's Peak. Reminds me of Fragile. Could be cool. Thanks for the info.

Durrrr.

A few Rune Factory Frontier tidbits :

- Every aspect is considerably improved compared to the DS games.
- The main character, a young man named Laguna, wanders throught he savage lands in search of a disappeared young girl.
- The game takes place on the island of Tranrupia, an uncivilized land which Laguna is challenged to pioneer and cultivate
- In addition, a gigantic floating island resembling a whale mysteriously emerged from the sky.
- As the land is further pioneered, a village starts to develop around the farms, and shops start to appear
- The game is set for a 2008 release.

Source

test_account said:
I was alittle suprised to see that Nintendogs got 40/40 to be honest (although i have only played it for like 5-10 minutes so i cant say too much about the game), but in 10 years only 8 games have received a score of 40/40 in Famitsu. That alone says something on how hard it is to get a 40/40 score, in my opinion atleast. I have no idea how many games Famitsu have reviewed in this time frame (10 years), but i guess it must be several of hundres.
It doesn't really matter since the scores given by Famitsu hardly ever represent the quality of the actual product but more the amount of ad space the publisher ordered or other criteria no one understands.

I mean they gave Red Steel the same score as the Orange Box for instance. I'm not one of the guys totally hating on RS but it doesn't even come near OB. Even in the light of just Wii games (if you are one of the people who think that scores don't have to be consistant for different plattforms), it got a better score than MP3 :lol . Haze also got the same score. I haven't played Haze but considering that even after all this time HL2 is one of the pinnacles of FPS gaming and OB has TF and Portal as well I can't imagine how Haze could possibly come close.

Nintendogs is a neat (non)game (no real goal) but it's not without problems and certainly doesn't warrant a perfect score. I don't think SC deserved one either. It's also strange that both Zelda OoT and WW got a perfect score but aLttp did not. I haven't played the JRPGs on the list nor SSBB (not out in PAL yet) so I can't comment on those.

Doc Evils said:
10/10/10/10, if MGS4 was on last gen hardware dozens of discs, it's a joke.
Like your post?

Dascu said:
Hmm, there's a new and better Tenchu scan out. Looks alright, I guess. Seems you can throw shurikens with the Wiimote.

Edit: Woah, new 2D Wii sidescroller shmup game from Success/Sega. It has ninjas.
o_O
I think it's a sequel to that Monkey King shooter.

O_O

WHAT IS IT CALLED!?

Dascu

-WindYoshi- said:
O_O

WHAT IS IT CALLED!?
Japanese gibberish. As I said, it looks like a sequel to The Monkey King (it looks better though).

I'm also not particularly sure if it's really by Success. You'll have to wait for someone who can read Japanese in order to fully translate it.

Yoboman

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
It really hasn't been getting 10's across the board though (not that it hasn't received 10's, it's just not like GTA4). Reviewers have been much more critical of it in comparison to GTA4.
Well it got reviewed by it's two harshest critics already (Edge, Eurogamer), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's all like that from here mostly

Doc Evils

Phife Dawg said:
It doesn't really matter since the scores given by Famitsu hardly ever represent the quality of the actual product but more the amount of ad space the publisher ordered or other criteria no one understands.

I mean they gave Red Steel the same score as the Orange Box for instance. I'm not one of the guys totally hating on RS but it doesn't even come near OB. Even in the light of just Wii games (if you are one of the people who think that scores don't have to be consistant for different plattforms), it got a better score than MP3 :lol . Haze also got the same score. I haven't played Haze but considering that even after all this time HL2 is one of the pinnacles of FPS gaming and OB has TF and Portal as well I can't imagine how Haze could possibly come close.

Nintendogs is a neat (non)game (no real goal) but it's not without problems and certainly doesn't warrant a perfect score. I don't think SC deserved one either. It's also strange that both Zelda OoT and WW got a perfect score but aLttp did not. I haven't played the JRPGs on the list nor SSBB (not out in PAL yet) so I can't comment on those.

Like your post?

Cry me a river. DVD is next gen?

Stormbringer said:

- The main character, a young man named Laguna, wanders throught he savage lands in search of a disappeared young girl.
- The game takes place on the island of Tranrupia, an uncivilized land which Laguna is challenged to pioneer and cultivate
- In addition, a gigantic floating island resembling a whale mysteriously emerged from the sky.
- As the land is further pioneered, a village starts to develop around the farms, and shops start to appear

Source

Please be good please be good please be good

Despite the RPG cliches, this sounds fucking awesome. DO WANT.

1stStrike

Banned
Stormbringer said:

Source

Reminds me of Baten Kaitos.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dascu said:
Japanese gibberish. As I said, it looks like a sequel to The Monkey King (it looks better though).

I'm also not particularly sure if it's really by Success. You'll have to wait for someone who can read Japanese in order to fully translate it.
It is the sequel or spiritual sequel to Monkey King by Starfish and has nothing to do with Success or Sega, the copyright is for the whole page which is cut off showing only the 2 Starfish games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MGS4 review, holy crap :D

Dascu

jj984jj said:
It is the sequel the Monkey King by Starfish and has nothing to do with Success or Sega, the copyright is for the whole page which is cut off showing only the 2 Starfish games.
Ah. I imagined the Starfish copyright had to do with the DS aquarium game on the same page. :lol

Death_Born said:
Please be good please be good please be good

Despite the RPG cliches, this sounds fucking awesome. DO WANT.

Hell yeah!
Floating whales, as far as I have seen, are a good indicator of excellent games!

(Link's Awakening, Baten Kaitos)

Kyoufu

AlternativeUlster said:
Wait, did anyone else notice the 360 thing? What the hell is going on here?

MGS4 on 360 fuck yeah!
I can't believe you didn't get that DVD joke

Tenchu hell no! I don't care if Acquire develops it or KojiPro develops it. That series has been run into the ground and its too late for it to get back up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:

If i understand you right, your saying that the only reason why those games that got a score of 40/40 in Famitsu is because that the publishers and/or developers payed for alot of ads in the magazine and not because the reviewers really like the games that much?

I know what you mean about representing the quality of the games and i do agree with you here, but reviews are just one or several of persons' personal opinions, it can be very subjetive. I'd say its also not always easy or "fair" (or what i shall say) to put 2 games up to eachother and compare the scores. I dont think the reviewers always think like this. Like if a reviewer play i.e Super Mario Galaxy and loves it like crazy and then he gives it a 100/100 in score. Then later on another platformer comes out. The reviewer also likes this game alot, but it doesnt match Super Mario Galaxy in "awesomeness". Should the reviewer then give this other platformer i.e a score of 75/100 just because Super Mario Galaxy is so much better, or should he grade the game as a "standalone game" (if you know what i mean) and not compare it to other games? I'm not a reviewer myself so i cant say how the reviewers think, but i think this is one of the reasons why you see scores like Red Steel is better than Metroid Prime 3 and scores like Haze and The Orange Box is the same as you mentioned.

Also, i think one of the reasons why the meme "so basicly its better than (insert a game title here)" was banned was because you cant always compare the scores directly up to eachother in terms of quality. If 2 games gets a 5/10 score, one game might be really fun to play while the other is damn boring, does both deserve a score of 5/10 then? It guess it depends on what the reviewer lays the weight on, how fun the game is to play, how many bugs there is, how good the graphics and controllers are etc. One game might have much better gfx than another game so it scores higher on this, but still its its boring to play. Another game might have weaker gfx, but it is more fun to play so it scores higher on this. I'd say the reviewer's score is a pretty subjective thing. The same goes for ALTTP. If one of the 4 Famitsu reviewer didnt like the game as much as the other 3 reviewers, he then game it a 9 instead of a 10. (ALTTP the past probly deserves a score of 40/40 in my opinion though :)).

But ye, based on what i said i do agree with you that review scores does not necessarily shows the quality of the game due to that the scores are just one or several of persons's personal opinions and it can be pretty subjective. One person might think a game is the best game ever and gives a game a score of 10/10 while another person might think the same game is medicore and gives it a score of maybe 6/10.

pitt_norton

Tenchu for Wii. Nice.

I've only ever played the original on PSX. I remember having a good time with it. If I can now fling shurikens with the wiimote... well then, waggle me off!

test_account said:
If i understand you right, your saying that the only reason why those games that got a score of 40/40 in Famitsu is because that the publishers and/or developers payed for alot of ads in the magazine and not because the games are really that good?

Exactly. Famitsu scores their game based on what their publisher wants them to score, for the tradeoff of getting lots of juicy info and news on upcoming games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pureauthor said:
Exactly. Famitsu scores their game based on what their publisher wants them to score, for the tradeoff of getting lots of juicy info and news on upcoming games.
Give me proof please ;) Well, i guess we can always speculate in things like this, but i think the reviewers have really really enjoyed the games that they gave a score of 40/40.

I did a small edit in my previous post by the way, i changed the end of the sentence in what you quoted :)

Top Bottom