• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

I think this is the first Sony PC in a long time that I'm not getting hyped about. Any reason to be guys?

Well, other than Bloodborne but that's a given.

No..."avalanche of games" was thrown around quite a bit
That exact phrase was used, I think, by m0dus.

The stuff is still coming, obviously (way too many first parties working on unannounced projects), but I guess recent events have led Sony to play its cards close.

Could be internal issues (delays, shake-ups, and cancellations galore), the volatile nature of early previews (look at The Order and its string of underwhelming demos...), or maybe Sony just doesn't feel the need to do much given PS4's strong sales already.

By whom? As one of the people who has to keep track of the insiders, who did I miss and what did they get wrong?

Wow, the impotent fanboy rage is pretty strong with this one :)

To people decrying its looks: im curious. its a smooth black box, what did you expect, exactly? Rims? Honestly, how is it radically different from the 360 slim, PS2, or the like? Need more big chrome buttons?

They spent way too long on the non gaming features. But, to their credit, they stated outright that they were saving the big reveals and such for E3 (and they damn well need to be, because i promise you Sony has an avalanche planned).

The sad truth is, leading up to EVERY one of these reveals, people work themselves into a fervor expecting they are going to see some manner of earth shattering exclusive announcement. To date, I argue that as far as actual games go, I have yet to see anything of the sort (be it wiiu, ps4, and now xbox1). It seems fated that people invariably create some of the most unbelievable expectations for themselves.

In short, I'd save my curb kicking and magazine-rack-overturning for E3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

The stuff is still coming, obviously (way too many first parties working on unannounced projects), but I guess recent events have led Sony to play its cards close.

Could be internal issues (delays, shake-ups, and cancellations galore), the volatile nature of early previews (look at The Order and its string of underwhelming demos...), or maybe Sony just doesn't feel the need to do much given PS4's strong sales already.

Is the suggestion that modus is an insider or that there weren't a lot of games announced at e3? I don't understand.

sn00zer

I think this is the first Sony PC in a long time that I'm not getting hyped about. Any reason to be guys?

Well, other than Bloodborne but that's a given.

Did you even see my post

But seriously, no not a whole lot....cept media Molecule's and Sony Japan new games likely showing, unless Studio Japan's new title is Bloodborne

speaking about avalanche
who is thinking that we might see just cause 3 a this gamescom?

Just Cause 3 is supposed to be released next year. So it could pop up any time now. It's one of those franchises that isn't big so it needs as much build up as possible. They can't really announce it a few months before its release and expect it to be big.

Yeah I think people need a reality check if they think Sony didn't show anything a e3. Holy shit that is ridiculous

Bloodborne
No Mans Sky
Littlebigplanet 3
GTA 5 next gen reveal
Grim Fandango
Uncharted 4
The Order
Entwined
Batman
Farcry 4

That's off the top of my head. Bloodborne could easily be the most important product this new generation. No Mans Sky could easily be one of the most ambitious products from any studio, let alone an indie.

Sony had a damn good show in my opinion. Had plenty of things I did not expect at all.

For Gamescom I am going in really having no idea but there are many ways in which it could go. But I would count on it being a showcase for the biggest titles on the console during the holiday and into 2015.

People arent saying that, just a discussion about how insiders have become real quiet after the bloodborne leak

Well, that was a megaton leak LONG before the show started. Hell it was leaked what a month before E3? The first leak being the pics and the 2nd being the gifs. Both of which hit over 1 million views here on GAF.

I don't expect megatons at Gamescom though. Just really good showcases of known titles.

Well scratch that we could see GGs new IP which would be awesome. Like I said I have no idea really what to expect besides the obvious from my list earlier

Kyoufu

I think people hype themselves too much. They're like "THE LAST GUARDIAN OR THE SHOW IS A FLOP" in terms of expectations, which is crazy.

What makes it worse is when dumb fucking "insiders" make up bullshit rumours about TLG being shown or other false crap that gets people boarding a phantom hype train which is only destined to crash.

RK128

Yeah I think people need a reality check if they think Sony didn't show anything a e3. Holy shit that is ridiculous

Bloodborne
No Mans Sky
Littlebigplanet 3
GTA 5 next gen reveal
Grim Fandango
Uncharted 4
The Order
Entwined
Batman
Farcry 4

That's off the top of my head. Bloodborne could easily be the most important product this new generation. No Mans Sky could easily be one of the most ambitious products from any studio, let alone an indie.

Sony had a damn good show in my opinion. Had plenty of things I did not expect at all.

For Gamescom I am going in really having no idea but there are many ways in which it could go. But I would count on it being a showcase for the biggest titles on the console during the holiday and into 2015.

You know, your fogetting something......that outside of Entwined and Grim Fandago....nothing was shown off for the Vita :(. That would have been fine if the PS4 was just announced within the same year and needed more time to get its features/games out of the way....but the system has been out for a while and the Vita has been largly ignored by Sony for a while.

....Lets also not forget the whole Typo-0 BS that Square pulled, Sony not calling the PS Vita TV the PS Vita TV LIKE it is called in Japan, and once again ignoring to mention huge games for the platform (yipe, Disney Infinity 2.0 was shown off....but we saw no gameplay proving that it will be like how the PS3/PS4 versions will be like :l. yipe, completely ignoring your first party line-up for this year (not even giving release dates for Oshoka, Freedom Wars and Ratchet Collection :l)......no price drop for the memory cards (WITH no indication that the 64GB card will come stateside X() and you have a show that ONCE again said FU to there Vita owners :(.

....It was a great show for PS4 and PS3 owners....but a really, really crappy one for PS Vita users :(.

Pimpwerx

I'm hoping for new IPs and fewer sequels. I loved my PS classics like everyone, but the past is the past. It's time to explore new gaming concepts. Sony's first party became my favorite because of their innovation and willingness to fund quirky, offbeat stuff. I want more of that. PEACE.

I'm hoping for new IPs and fewer sequels. I loved my PS classics like everyone, but the past is the past. It's time to explore new gaming concepts. Sony's first party became my favorite because of their innovation and willingness to fund quirky, offbeat stuff. I want more of that. PEACE.
Most of the classics are so old that they could basically become anything. It's exciting to think what Syphon Filter or MediEvil or Omega Boost could be in shiny HD.

But I agree with not being so excited about sequels to less dormant IP. Give Hot Shots and Killzone and Ratchet a rest, por favor.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Isn't that the guy who lied about some dude leaving and it turns out it was because his son was sick? What a piece of shit that mortimer guy is.
Woah. He was wrong, not an asshole. If being that wrong makes you an asshole, I can see where you're coming from though. Nah, his only crime was being fatally wrong concerning the personal and professional developments of Driveclubs former Game Director. He shouldn't have even dipped his toes into that territory. But he did, and he got himself banned. Prior to that, he had the best track record out of anyone.

I think it'd be appropriate if we ended this line of conversation though unless you have anything else to say. It's the kind of thing that'll get the thread locked and we'll vacations from NeoGAF.
By whom? As one of the people who has to keep track of the insiders, who did I miss and what did they get wrong?
Y2Kev out for blood !!
To be fair, out dear Shinobi confirmed that Guerilla Games had a teaser trailer ready and rearing to go. Dinosaurs, Redheads, Awesomeness. Media Molecule was show ready going by their tweets at the time. And Santa Monicas game got canned.

Kyoufu

To be fair, out dear Shinobi confirmed that Guerilla Games had a teaser trailer ready and rearing to go. Dinosaurs, Redheads, Awesomeness. Media Molecule was show ready going by their tweets at the time.

Sony's E3 conference was never going to feature those games though.

I-hate-u

Sony's E3 conference was never going to feature those games though.

Why not? The only reason why I think they pushed the announcement back is to give GG a break. They shipped 2 games last year. Otherwise, E3 is a wonderful place for a new IP announcement. I am suspecting E3 2015 announcement:

2013: Order
2014: Bloodborne
2015: GG Dino game

I think people hype themselves too much. They're like "THE LAST GUARDIAN OR THE SHOW IS A FLOP" in terms of expectations, which is crazy.

What makes it worse is when dumb fucking "insiders" make up bullshit rumours about TLG being shown or other false crap that gets people boarding a phantom hype train which is only destined to crash.

I'd argue it's not the hype, but the negativity that damages the perception of these conferences.

Sony announced many games at Gamescom last year for both PS4 AND Vita, but just because it didn't have ONE big AAA announcement, it was shat on last year as an indie shit show. And that was after insiders told us beforehand to manage our expectations, and yet Gamescom still got so much vitriol even though many things were announced, but it lacked that "one thing."

It's like the negativity of Sony's E3 this year because of Powers segment. Did that segment somehow negate the existence of all the game announcements or something? Because people are acting like it did. Or how the lack of Vita means something this time round, whereas Vita having a presence last year at TGS and Gamescom didn't mean anything.

You know, your fogetting something......that outside of Entwined and Grim Fandago....nothing was shown off for the Vita :(

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Guns Up!

And before E3, the big announcements of the localisation of the big 3 Japanese first-party games were already done.

Jigorath

Banned
May as well write up my predictions:

Bloodborne gameplay (GAF will go down)
LBP3 trailer (maybe they'll show off some community levels that LBP pros have been building in secret)
Project Morpheus update (They'll announce what developers are working on it currently)
Driveclub trailer (Show off the amazing weather effects)
Indie showcase (Should be a given for a Sony conference at this point)
Media Molecule new IP
Guerrilla Games New IP
Remasters for Beyond, GT6, and God of War Ascension announced
Various 3rd party titles like GTAV, Destiny, and Far Cry 4
Uncharted 4 gameplay premiere
Gravity Rush 2 for PS4+Vita
Minecraft Vita bundle
The Last Guardian (lol jk)

And lots of bland, pointless PR talk

I'm saying it's a matter of perspective.

If E3 was the stage used to announce them being localised, people would be all "Sony cares For Vita" even though it's not deserving of a praise for Sony to be localising their own games in the first place.

But since it wasn't done at E3, Sony clearly does no give a shit at all. And because Guns Up and Fat Princess wasn't announced on stage, no one remembers those games.

It's the same reason I lol at some people legitimately believing Halo 5 and Forza Horizon 2 announcements were "taken out" from E3. Established IPS don't need to be specifically announced on stage, and the fact that both announcements had no trailers meant that they're going to show them... on stage.

Salex_

Some expectations are reducing to nothing new being shown? What's going on lol.

Here's a recap all of the pre-GC news.
---------------------------
Rime will show gameplay footage or be playable at the event.
Housemarque's new game might be there.
30 minute closed doors demo for an unannounced Japanese game and 45 minute demo for an unannounced IP.
Detail about the JP game
"This is pre-release information, so I can't write anything about it. I don't think it'll make the fall, so we'll have to wait a little bit longer than that."

"But I've seen actual gameplay, and it is really just breathtaking. I saw less than 10 minutes of the game, but I really have to take my hat off to the studio for their amazing work. Oh by the way, this isn't about Final Fantasy XV; I wonder when that one is going to be released…"

"But anyway, I am totally going to buy this!"
Until Dawn
Media Molecule's new IP is expected by almost everyone now. That could be the 45 demo? Maybe.

When do you guys think we'll hear about the game Ono is working on (it's not Deep Down)? I guess TGS makes sense. This is probably unannounced game that I'm interested in the most due to the high chance of it being a fighting or action game.

30 minute closed doors demo for an unannounced Japanese game and 45 minute demo for an unannounced IP.
Detail about the JP game

Until Dawn
Media Molecule's new IP is expected by almost everyone now. That could be the 45 demo? Maybe.

When do you guys think we'll hear about the game Ono is working on (it's not Deep Down)? I guess TGS makes sense. This is probably unannounced game that I'm interested in the most due to the high chance of it being a fighting or action game.

Thanks for this, this is a great recap.

Are the Japanese games from SCEJ?

The gamescom announcement? Yeah, that's a Sony Japan game. Of course just because it's a Sony Japan game doesn't necessarily mean it's being developed by them. They deal heavily in outsourced work like Hot Shots, Bloodborne, Oreshika, and Soul Sacrifice.

wmlk

I just wanna say that FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III are probably the biggest console sellers right now. They're for a very exclusive audience that doesn't fit the typical Uncharted/Killzone/Call of Duty/The Order mold.

I-hate-u

The gamescom announcement? Yeah, that's a Sony Japan game. Of course just because it's a Sony Japan game doesn't necessarily mean it's being developed by them. They deal heavily in outsourced work like Hot Shots, Bloodborne, Oreshika, and Soul Sacrifice.

Yeah, I meant like if it from SCEJ, or its another publisher like Capcom. Sounds like its from Sony though.

sn00zer

Detail about the JP game

Until Dawn

Good post....two title are likely Arc the Lad and Media Molecules game

Jomjom

Banned
So nobody is going to buy a PS4 in Japan for FFXV or KH3?

At this point I really don't know. If it was coming out on 3DS or Vita sure, but PS4? I'm leaning towards no. It'll sell some of course, but a real "system seller"? Nah don't think so.

At this point I really don't know. If it was coming out on 3DS or Vita sure, but PS4? I'm leaning towards no. It'll sell some of course, but a real "system seller"? Nah don't think so.

What you define "system seller"? percentage, a fixed number or something else.

iceatcs

Sony Insiders before E3

"SONY IS GOING TO ANNOUNCE EVERYTHING.

Then E3 came and Sony had fuck all outside of Bloodborn which leaked anyway.

The insiders that are trustworthy have shut up. The rest are shitting up twitter and random sites on N4G.

Eh, I don't remember that.
Real insiders were quite quiet, only real hint was "beast" everywhere.
Big one pre-E3 rumours was big MS 3rd party exclusive, but we got nothing really.

This Gamecom rumour gossip always quieter than the other events. I think it was like that every year because it is public show.

Top Bottom