• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

sn00zer

bloodborne is not a system seller?

No way...... lots of hardcore diehard fans, but not the mass appeal....KH3 though absolutely...put the trailer on my FB wall last year had a lot of non gamer people asking when it was coming out

Forgot about Ratchet and Clank, that is definitely going to be there. They said they'd reveal more later on in the year!
No way... marketing/talking about two exclusives on different consoles would be a nightmare

AmuroChan

At this point I really don't know. If it was coming out on 3DS or Vita sure, but PS4? I'm leaning towards no. It'll sell some of course, but a real "system seller"? Nah don't think so.

Such a subjective term. What is the criteria for a "real" system seller? The term gets thrown around all the time and every person has a different definition.

wmlk

They were pretty meh from what I remember not a huge series by any means. A 7-8/10 series

That's what I see as well. Makes me curious as to why something like this would be remade and not something a bit more into pop-culture like Legend of Dragoon. Reception for that was slightly lukewarm but I think it resonates more with people.

They were pretty meh from what I remember not a huge series by any means. A 7-8/10 series

The series was quality, for the most part. 1 was a good intro and the series really took off with Arc the Lad II, my personal favorite. You could play them for 60+ hours easily, and with 3 I don't even want to know how much time was spent with it, probably 100+ hours.

The subsequent releases after the main trilogy though never reached the apex of the quality the earlier games had. It was a very cool story and world though so I wouldn't mind a return to it. Not at all.

Most don't realize it was more of a SRPG though like Final Fantasy Tactics, not a pure JRPG like Final Fantasy or Dragons Quest

RK128

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Guns Up!

And before E3, the big announcements of the localisation of the big 3 Japanese first-party games were already done.

Damn it, forgot about those X(. Still though, Sony could of at least shown those games off via montage video or small demo at E3 (remove the "Powers" section of the show and BAM, you have at least 8-13 minutes of time to talk about the Vita).

....I would just like some indication that Sony cares about the Vita, any sign at all :(. I mean, sure, Sony is still release games on the system (Ratchet Collection, Vita Pets, and a few upcoming games like Freedom Wars and Oshoka), but announce something that will really blow us away for the system :D.

At GamesCom 2012, we were shown Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway for the Vita and both were wonderful games that really showed what the hardware was made of. The former showed that the system can really be a looker for big games and still have gameplay console gamers are used to while the latter was an delightful and charming 3D adventure/platforming game that used all the tools the Vita had in such natural ways.

....Did we see something like that at E3? No, all we saw was more ports and games that can be possible on other devices (granted, I didn't see gameplay of Freedom Wars or Oshoka yet, so I might be dead wrong there :D).

Even if they just announce sequels to those games, that would be enough to show me they still give a damn about the system.....but at this point, I feel like they are only supporting it because they feel like they 'have' to :(.

Removing that 'glitch' that happened earlier this month that allowed NA PSN users to play games that SHOULD normally work on the thing, not having cross-buy with there Collections in NA (not that it's a really BAD thing; the Sly Collection was a wonderful port while the Ratchet Collection is more then good enough :D), not fully giving there own software retail releases (Ratchet Collection for example) and not even stocking systems in stores (....shortage of consoles that you, I don't know, should WANT to sell X()......I don't know man :(.

If anything, I will give them props for still making PS+ a killer service for the Vita and when they did support there system, there first party output was very solid :D (Uncharted, Wipeout, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Sly 4, Killzone, Hot Shots, PS All Stars, Soul Sacrifice....very solid line up of games :D).

Sony Insiders before E3

"SONY IS GOING TO ANNOUNCE EVERYTHING.

Then E3 came and Sony had fuck all outside of Bloodborn which leaked anyway.

The insiders that are trustworthy have shut up. The rest are shitting up twitter and random sites on N4G.

This is delusion on your part, this didn't really happen at all?

'The insiders' weren't hyping anything massive from Sony.

Strike

It's a niche machine for a niche market. Of course they don't care. Let it rot.
9cNchxs.gif

Yeah I think people need a reality check if they think Sony didn't show anything a e3. Holy shit that is ridiculous

Bloodborne
No Mans Sky
Littlebigplanet 3
GTA 5 next gen reveal
Grim Fandango
Uncharted 4
The Order
Entwined
Batman
Farcry 4

That's off the top of my head. Bloodborne could easily be the most important product this new generation. No Mans Sky could easily be one of the most ambitious products from any studio, let alone an indie.

Sony had a damn good show in my opinion. Had plenty of things I did not expect at all.

For Gamescom I am going in really having no idea but there are many ways in which it could go. But I would count on it being a showcase for the biggest titles on the console during the holiday and into 2015.

For what it's worth, I think officially (several sites counted) Sony had 2or 3 more games shown at their conference than Microsoft and less CG trailers as well. Mix that with the heavy hitters you mentioned, it was definitely a good conference at E3......

Tizoc

What timezone is the conference and is it soing to be streamed?

I can tell you when MS conference starts at least: approx. 31 hours from now. Sony's starts I think 5ish hours after MS'.

Far as timezone goes, it will follow Cologne, Germany.

TraBuch

Banned
Take away the middle segment of Sony's E3 starting with Layden and ending with Powers dude and people would have an entirely different opinion of the conference, even if they just removed those parts without adding anything.

Tratorn

Grimløck;124784756 said:
t1407848400z4.png

hopefully that's correct. someone might want to double check to be sure.

edit: that's the start time for ms's presser. sony's is 5 hours later.

Yep, that was for MS. Navid posted these countdowns some pages before:

Microsoft Press Event: 12 Aug - 2PM CET // 1PM BST // 5AM PDT // 8AM EDT
bla_1407844800.png

Sony Press Event: 12 Aug - 7PM CET // 6PM BST // 10AM PDT // 1PM EDT
bla_1407862800.png

EA Press Event: 13 Aug - 10AM CET // 9AM BST // 1AM PDT // 4AM EDT
bla_1407916800.png

Correct me if I got any of them wrong...

Jomjom

Banned
Such a subjective term. What is the criteria for a "real" system seller? The term gets thrown around all the time and every person has a different definition.

Well it's definitely not any game that sells any number of systems like the poster I responded to implied ("...it won't sell any systems?"). Every single game would basically be a "system seller" at that point.

My definition is something like a Halo or major Mario related game, where it sells millions of copies and continues to sell for a long time and you see an uptick of console sales for months and months if not a year after the game's release. Mario Kart would be the most recent example of that.

Not much coming out of Japan these days does that except for the aforementioned Mario games, which don't really count since there's no way that's coming out for PS4. Monster Hunter is another one but that's in the handheld space.

It seems smart for Sony to get the marketing deals for new IP games and less "mainstream" titles. MS always seems to go for marketing in commercials and such using stuff like Cod, Fifa, Madden, etc. Everyone knows those games are on both systems even if the commercial only mentions Xbox. However when I see commercials for Destiny or Diablo 3 if I wasn't a big follower of gaming news and releases I'd probably just assume they were only on Playstation. I know a lot of people who think Destiny is only on Playstation.

How long will this press conference be? 1 hour?

For reference, last years was 1 hour and 30 minutes, 2012 was 1 hour, and 2011 was 1 hour. I don't know about before that but I would bet on between 1 and 1.5 hours.

sn00zer

It seems smart for Sony to get the marketing deals for new IP games and less "mainstream" titles. MS always seems to go for marketing in commercials and such using stuff like Cod, Fifa, Madden, etc. Everyone knows those games are on both systems even if the commercial only mentions Xbox. However when I see commercials for Destiny or Diablo 3 if I wasn't a big follower of gaming news and releases I'd probably just assume they were only on Playstation. I know a lot of people who think Destiny is only on Playstation.

For reference, last years was 1 hour and 30 minutes, 2012 was 1 hour, and 2011 was 1 hour. I don't know about before that but I would bet on between 1 and 1.5 hours.

I think of it as a PS game when I know its not...the marketing is strong with that one

Top Bottom