• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend just told me the eye can only see 30FPS

nkarafo

What's funny is that the largest difference to me between 60hz and 120hz is just basic windows interaction. 120hz is just so much smoother to use on a daily basis. If people had to interact with windows at 30hz, they would probably want to throw their computer out the window.
Whenever i interact with windows at 60hz, i want to throw my computer out of the window.

Zareka

lol wat. Eyes don't see in frames. :p

30 FPS vs 60 FPS is night and day for me. I mean if I play 30 long enough I won't notice it that much but there's still a clear difference.

Lettuce

So what is the limit of the human eye, i always though above 60fps it was difficult for the eye to distinguish a difference?

So what is the limit of the human eye, i always though above 60fps it was difficult for the eye to distinguish a difference?

I am not a scientist, but being in the graphics field..

I really don't think there is one answer for this question. It honestly probably depends on the person. There may be some people that can't distinguish over 100fps, and some people can distinguish anything under 200fps. Each human eye is different. Just like everyones vision isn't exactly the same (by evidence of the need for some sort of corrective lenses), I doubt everyones perception of framerate is identical.

Though, I do think some people are not lying when they say 60 and 120 isn't much of a difference to them in slower - medium movement scenes. 60 and 120 is a large difference, but that doesn't mean everyone can perceive it. Some people may be more sensitive to the nuances of framerate than others.

Shadders

A very senior developer working on AAA console titles once told me the same thing, OP. I was gobsmacked and literally didn't know what to do or say. I just stood there staring at him, praying he'd crack into a smile and tell me he was joking.

Shadders

Do eyes have a "refresh rate"?

No. Information travels between the eye and the brain in a constant stream. Just as light travels into the eye in a constant stream.

There is still a perception issue, there'll be a point where you just can't tell the difference any more, but we can still perceive changes in framerate up to 300fps or so (I read this in a research paper when the aforementioned developer wouldn't back down about his assertions that we couldn't perceive higher than 30fps).

TSM

No. Information travels between the eye and the brain in a constant stream. Just as light travels into the eye in a constant stream.

There is still a perception issue, there'll be a point where you just can't tell the difference any more, but we can still perceive changes in framerate up to 300fps or so (I read this in a research paper when the aforementioned developer wouldn't back down about his assertions that we couldn't perceive higher than 30fps).

Just show him any 48 fps hobbit thread. They won't be making many more high fps films, and it's not because we can't see more then 30 fps.

nynt9

I work in neuroscience with a focus on the visual system and computer modeling of it. This is bullshit. Human eyes don't have a framerate. It's a very complicated system. It's not digital, our receptors are full of complex chemical reactions that are triggered by light and get turned into electrical signals. Every little amount of light that gets to our eyes matters. So framerate does make a difference beyond 30, even beyond 60. There is diminishing returns obviously, but 30 is nowhere near the point of that.

Soph

Your eyes see no difference.

Yeah, however your brain does pick up different signals, as there's more signals for your brain to pick up during 60 fps, compared to 30 fps. Whether someone's brain has aptitude to pick up 60 fps or 30 fps, possibly does rely on their visuocognitive ability. This might just be the cause of this whole debate, what someone can perceive could not be the same as what some other person reckons he perceives.

To say it more bluntly: maybe his brain is too slow to pick up these 60 fps signals? ^_^..

nynt9

Your eyes see no difference.

Yeah, however your brain does pick up different signals, as there's more signals for your brain to pick up during 60 fps, compared to 30 fps. Whether someone's brain has aptitude to pick up 60 fps or 30 fps, possibly does rely on their visuocognitive ability. This might just be the cause of this whole debate, what someone can perceive could not be the same as what some other person reckons he perceives.

To say it more bluntly: maybe his brain is too slow to pick up these 60 fps signals? ^_^..

Pretty much this.

The human eye has a response-time of 30hz

Always a treat when people apply digital concepts to our human eyes. It's like asking what resolution the eye runs at, just silly. We live in a world were people got hyped for an option to limit FPS to 30 in a game. If i had it handy i'd post that "I feel like i'm taking crazy pills" meme.

K1ng P3n

I'm blind in one eye and I can see a huge difference in 30 fps and 60 fps! Your friend has no idea what he's talking about!

Lernaean

Banned
Eyes are lenses that read light information, run it through the optic nerve to the brain where the image is built on a constant stream, they don't work with framerate or megapixels or whatever we use to reproduse the effect.
To tell the truth, the eye will not be able to tell the difference watching video footage in different but very high framerates, and that will be because it will all be very smooth, but 30fps is choppy for everyone.

Do his ears also not hear surround sound?

The way the mind works is you only hear two channels at once. The mind then shuts down those two and continues in a circular motion to the next available speakers. It happens so fast, the mind is tricked into believing it is hearing all 5 at the same time. Yes I am completely serious... not really.

Parley

Banned
The whole eye can't see more than 30 frames a second is based on some old experiments and a LOT of interpretation (which researches to all the time to say whatever they want). What is generally well understood is that those old experiments fail to accurately quantify everything that is going on with the human eye.

The eye and the brain together can sense much more than 30 frames a second. There are plenty of experiments that disprove the 30 frame myth. It is like still believing in anomalous generation...

Sentenza

Aren't you a fellow italian? If so then a Tornado would have probably been more fitting

:p
Yeah, well, he was a kid, a shameless bullshitter and my personal guess is that this was a Top Gun-inspired lie, so it's not that surprising that he didn't get national armaments right.

Not to mention how neither Tornado nor F14 use any stealth systems (let alone ones capable of turning them invisible to naked eyes).

Hooks

Well I feel completely stupid, I'm going to go sell my 144hz monitor and trade in my 780 for a 550 since I don't need the gfx horse power to push over 30 fps any more. I can't believe this has all been a placebo effect.

30 FPS MASTER RACE.

For the record going from 144hz to 30hz looks like a slide show, Your friend has no idea what he's talking about.

rob305

I really believe that it's different for each person. People are going to say I'm lying but I cannot see a difference between 30 and 60 fps. I recently played the last of us remastered for 6 hours and I finished the game on PS3 back in the day. Other than better graphics I didnt notice anything about the framerate

Sanctuary

I really believe that it's different for each person. People are going to say I'm lying but I cannot see a difference between 30 and 60 fps. I recently played the last of us remastered for 6 hours and I finished the game on PS3 back in the day. Other than better graphics I didnt notice anything about the framerate

That isn't really that good of an example either, despite how it may be more fluid. The gameplay in general is slower paced. Action, racing and shmup games are where it becomes the most apparent.

Xenon

Tell your friend to watch a ceiling fan on medium speed. Point out that It's hard to make out the individual blades. Then tell him to focus on a single blade and move his eyes with it. He should be able to make out the single blade clearly and follow it as it turns. If he asks you what this has to do with 30 vs 60 frames per second, shrug and say "Nothing."

jbueno

Do his ears also not hear surround sound?

Back in Meschool, I had an Otolaryngology Professor say the exact same thing, I was dumbfounded. I guess going to a live orchestra sounds exactly the same as listening to a CD record. Stupid old fuck.

It's not about how many frames we're seeing, it how much INFORMATION we're seeing. 60fps carries double the amount of information than 30fps. That's why movement is so much smoother at 60fps.

Fbh

Tell your friend he needs to check his eyes.

Also, he is a "pc master race" kind of guy and can't run DayZ? Lol

Show your friend some 60fps "adult content".

He will be converted to a 60fps believer!

Games looks great with high framerates.
Videos don't, IMO

I thought it was quite a jarring difference between the PS3 version at 30fps and PS4 version at 60fps and I didn't even play them back-to-back.

However, I do believe that some people just can't see a difference and that's fine. Did you know that some people can't even see screen tearing yet it jumps out at me and attacks my eyeballs until I want to throw the game away and never play it again?

OmegaDL50

OP, Do you own a PS4 and a copy of the The Last of Us Remastered.

Have your friend play through initial mission going after
Robert

In both 30fps mode and 60fps mode.

If he cannot tell the difference after playing both back to back.

Well, there isn't much else to do to convince him.

Top Bottom