• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzy72

Banned
Around two weeks to go. Do you guys think we'll see a dedicated Smash Direct in time for the Japanese launch? Something that will allow Sakurai to recap everything we know up to that point, going into greater detail on the content that's been shown since E3 and the April Direct?
Nope. We'll get details on some modes through PotD, but otherwise we're pretty much done with news. Friday's Direct is the last blowout we're getting on Smash 3DS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ugh...I really hope the "Duck Hunt" name is changed to "Duck Hunt Dog".

"Duck Hunt" just doesn't make any sense. Pokemon Trainer wasn't named "Pokemon", and Olimar wasn't named "Pikmin".

Duck Hunt made sense if you have three different characters into one. Imaginary Hunter (you), Hunting Dog and Duck(s).

Neiteio

Ugh...I really hope the "Duck Hunt" name is changed to "Duck Hunt Dog".

"Duck Hunt" just doesn't make any sense. Pokemon Trainer wasn't named "Pokemon", and Olimar wasn't named "Pikmin".
As I and others have noted, it's probably called "Duck Hunt" because it's equal parts dog, duck and unseen hunter. The hunter probably takes the form of an aiming reticle that you can either control or that functions like Palutena's Auto-Reticle move. I could see it factoring into the specials and Final Smash. This also allows them to avoid a physical depiction of the Zapper, which varied from region to region and looked like an actual gun in Japan.

While I'm on the subject of Shulk's alt, what's the deal with his shoes? If Lucina's boots are the pinnacle of Smash fashion, these things are the absolute depths. They're dangerously close to being crocs.

I guess you haven't seen the outfits/armor you can wear in Xenoblade. They have a lot more baffling attire than that.

I'll be posting the newcomer nomination results soon. Be sure to check it out, as today is one of the characters I would be thrilled to see in Smash.

Neiteio

99 hours 59 minutes
robert-de-niro-loves-world-cup-soccer-crash-party.gif

Kinsei

Banned
how long would it take you to finish main story itself?

Around 65 or so hours I'd say.

I seriously recommend skipping the sidequests. They are so bad that they actually negatively affected my enjoyment of the first half of the game.

I hope Xenoblade Chronicles X has better ones.

Fireblend

Banned
I'll check Xenoblade out once it hits the N3DS. Sadly I just can't deal with 60+ hours console JRPGs these days.

still will buy X

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The sidequests are like crack actually, they are too good and seriously overlevel you for the majority of the game if you attempt to clear them all out. There's some great things in there though including additional skill trees.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh, nice! I thought you were saying Nintendo sent out a new reprint in general.

I always buy new, though. Does "pre-owned" still come in a good condition box, or...?

The dirty little secret with this game and Metroid Prime Trilogy is that they had a reprint commissioned for both games and sold them as preowned. It is more likely than not that your pre owned copy would just be a never sealed new copy. I'd look around your local Gamestop stores to see what sort of copies they have instead of getting it online but even online I'd say your chances to get a new "preowned" copy are high. Not many people ever traded in Xenoblade.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You just stole my gif. *thumb up*

Maybe I should sell my copy before the price falls from the 3DS version...

Perhaps, but Earthbound and other games' prices haven't really got hit by VC. It's depend on how good Xenoblade 3DS is. If it's medicare then the price might stay high.

Around 65 or so hours I'd say.

I seriously recommend skipping the sidequests. They are so bad that they actually negatively affected my enjoyment of the first half of the game.

I hope Xenoblade Chronicles X has better ones.

Only about 60-70 hours, if you move at a decent speed.

Alright, thanks.. I think it's my goal to finish Xenoblade before Smash 3DS' release date for EU/NA.

SuperSah

Banned
Was watching the 3DS demonstration vid from the Direct and noticed WFT and characters now have their voices which were omitted in the demo.

Reckon we'll get English voices or Japanese?

GenG3000

After seeing all these Japanese posters ads and all the people talking and asking about Shulk and Xenoblade, as a Xenoblade/Monolith/Tetsuya Takashi/RPG fan I cannot help but feel really happy for Shulk's inclusion in Smash. The guys behind Xenoblade have been around since the times of SNES and worked in masterpieces like Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears even before Monolith existed, and as Monolith they worked on many other ambitious RPGs like the Xenosaga trilogy, the Baten Kaitos bilogy and Xenoblade. Also, for Nintendo, Xenoblade is one of their most ambitious and expansive games ever, probably one of the most ambitious RPGs ever in concept too, so for me it was natural to see Shulk as a representative of one of their biggest new series. I see all of this as a homage to their career and contribution to gaming as a studio.

Also, Shulk is one of those bold and exotic additions to the roster that each Smash pushes forward for recognition. In the original it was Ness, in Melee were Marth and Roy, and in Brawl were Ike and Lucas. Cool characters that few people know about but with such interesting looks, fighting styles and universes that foster the players' interest in them. We probably wouldn't have seen Fire Emblem around here if it weren't because Marth and Roy.

I guess you haven't seen the outfits/armor you can wear in Xenoblade. They have a lot more baffling attire than that.

I've never played it, but I saw a pic of (not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but just to be safe)
some sort of "tribal" outfit with all sorts of feathers which looked totally ridiculous.
By comparison, this alt does look pretty tame.

49.99 on Gamestop, you know, the people who had it reprinted. 5 bucks off with a power up rewards card.

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535

That's still a little much for a game as old as that. I know Gamestop has gotten stingier in recent years (I remember when used games typically went for $20-$25; now they just knock $5 off retail,) but still. I wish Xenoblade was cheaper/more readily available, because now, your only other option is wait for the N3DS version.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Xenoblade should take you ~60 hours to beat if you don't go out of your way to do side quests.
Don't go out of your way to do sidequests.

Started xenoblade again this morning (after a 2-ish year hiatus! I restarted the whole game since I forgot most of it).

Can I just say how damn good this game is? One of the best JRPGs of all time, and almost assuredly the best one of the last generation.

It's fun to play, the story is good, the combat is fantastic, the world is HUGE and you can explore as much or as little as you want. You never feel lost, there are tons of 'mmo style' quests, but they're 'kill 2' not 'kill 15', and once you kill the 2, you immediately get the reward (no need to talk to the quest giver). There's also FAST TRAVEL. So good.

So so good.

I'm still at the tail end in the middle of grinding for the last few battles. I agree with all of that. The open, expansive environments makes me think THIS is what next gen Final Fantasy should have been. Only thing I don't like? The gem system. A lot of the gems just seem irrelevant and it feels like they tried to make sure this game had EVERYTHING, but the gen system goes a little too far imo.

Also, yeah the England based localization is quite charming.

munchie64

The fact that we'll know everything about the game (and some of you lucky bastards will be able to play it) in 13 days (maybe a little less) blows my mind.

That's less than two weeks. That's only 10 pics of the day. That's only one more episode of Doctor Who. That's before my nearest uni assignment is due.

In case you can't tell, I'm hyped.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xenoblade should take you ~60 hours to beat if you don't go out of your way to do side quests.
Don't go out of your way to do sidequests.

Or do, as they are really fun.

Also someone dissing the gems? Yeah, there are a lot of useless ones but there are also some that you think are worthless that are actually quite grand.

Duck Hunt made sense if you have three different characters into one. Imaginary Hunter (you), Hunting Dog and Duck(s).
It doesn't make sense even then. Duck is the adjective and Hunt is the noun, which implies that you're playing as a hunt. A hunt is an activity... You can't play AS an activity. Even if you're playing as three different characters, you're still playing as those characters and not something abstract like a hunt. Taking that into account it makes even more sense to call the characters Duck Hunt Dog, because even though the noun in that name singles out the Dog as the character (which the select screen does as well), it still acknowledges the duck and the hunter. Unless "Duck Hunt" is the Dog's name, it makes no sense to use it. I can think of plenty of better alternatives. Duck Hunt Dog, Duck Hunter, Hunting Dog, Dog & Duck(s), Duck Hound, etc.

SuperSah

Banned
The fact that we'll know everything about the game (and some of you lucky bastards will be able to play it) in 13 days (maybe a little less) blows my mind.

That's less than two weeks. That's only 10 pics of the day. That's only one more episode of Doctor Who. That's before my nearest uni assignment is due.

And that's when we make a JP OT so we won't be spoiled much more!

Then three weeks of resisting temptation!

I wonder will Dr.Mario still come in black , if he is in smash 4. That alternate color looked better than the original color.
Well it's an easy alt color and every character are apparently getting 8 colors, so it's probably gonna be back. Looking forward to seeing Doc's colors.

I'm more curious about Dark Pit's colors, though.

Smash loves a colorful combatant, so how could you not want:
hnxrng.png

Captian Rainbow

Notable Appearences
Captain Rainbow (2008)

Bio
Nick is the protagonist of Captain Rainbow; in the game, his alter ego is the super hero Captain Rainbow. Hailing from Mameruka (The Land of the Free), he stars in a television show, though recently the ratings have been steadily decreasing. Desperate, he visits an island named Minmin said to grant wishes, hoping that he'll be able to shoot his TV show back up. When he arrives, he finds a host of forgotten Nintendo characters that haven't gotten the love they deserve.

What NeoGAF Says
“Skip Ltd. deserve representation and I really like Captain Rainbow's design.” - Okrag

What do you guys think? Does Captain Rainbow have the entire spectrum of Smash necessities? Or is he doomed to become yet another forgotten Nintendo hero? Let us know below!

Previous Newcomer Nominations Click on them to find out more!

Note: Unlike veterans, the newcomers being posted are not being revealed in order of most votes due to the amount of different choices; I'm just sharing the ones I find most interesting. However, for the last five newcomers, I will present those in order as the newcomers who got the most votes.

Fireblend

Banned

Are you me? :p that's totally how I'm measuring time these days too, haha.

And I bet we'll get an actual game cart leak sometime next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom