• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

FryHole

There's a gas station from past trailer, and it looks operational to me.

ZBEQ0CJ.png

Gas petrol-pumping mini-game confirmed?

MilesTeg

Banned
Just realized there was no footage of the player in a town in this trailer. There was an overhead shot of a city but nothing where the player was running around in a town or whatever.

That was kind of the point of Cocoon. It was completely artificial so there could be a scrapyard right next to some beautiful residential area which is close to a mechanical forest.

That's not really what I meant. I was more confused about "where" I was. Like in a physical space sense, on a map.

I'm still bothered by the first zone of the game. Hanging Edge maybe? What exactly was it? Was that green stuff in the sky a layer of trees? What were those pillar structures doing? I love fantasy environments but it just felt so random to me. Pointless almost.

Yes, this is what I mean. I couldn't comprehend the environment at all. Hanging Edge made zero sense to me.

Famassu

I wonder if Cor is still in the game or if he won't be a permanently playable character/companion.
This is an early part of the game, Cor will probably not join the gang until shit has hit the fan and he feels Noctis needs the extra protection (in this trailer they are only just hearing about the peace talks on the radio).

Matriox

What? No Final Fantasy had connections to each other, just cameos/recurring themes. In fact FFXV shares common mythology stuff with FFXIII and Type-0 and also classic FF tropes like chocobos, air-ships and those oldschool monster designs.

Does the fact that you press an assigned button instead of choosing your commands from a list and then clicking on it really make what's Final Fantasy for you? I played all FFs in Active Mode if it was possible, so at that point they weren't "turn-based" either, theoretically, and the only thing differentiating it from FFXV was that I had to select commands in a menu instead of clicking a button.
It makes me mad to hear how turn-based battles are apparently the most important and sole reason why FFs were loved. It doesn't automatically make a game more strategic or difficult. I played so many JRPGs my whole life where you could practically just use normal Attack plus occasional healing for every fight besides the bosses.
I don't want to play the same game for my whole life. I'm happy that FFs are so different every single time. You can't say this about many other game series.

Not exactly what I was meaning here. I apologize if I somehow offended people by thinking this, I was being extremely dumb and shortsighted by forgetting these things (monster design and mythology) but I was just referring to the fact this isn't turn based. Outside of the MMO's this is the first FF game in the main line numbered game that isnt primarily a turn based RPG was all I was referring to.

After watching that trailer... I have no idea what this game is about. 4 dudes driving around in a car randomly fighting monsters in random grassy fields on the side of the road.

I guess it looked pretty...

kurahador

After watching that trailer... I have no idea what this game is about. 4 dudes driving around in a car randomly fighting monsters in random grassy fields on the side of the road.

The trailer only showing the portion that will be in the demo, which seems to take place later in the game.

So basically, road trip bromance.

Gbraga

The trailer only showing the portion that will be in the demo, which seems to take place later in the game.

"Final Fantasy XV – Episode Duscae takes place near the beginning of Final Fantasy XV"

According to the playstation blog. Which is why I believe the roadtrip is a prologue, they get to their kingdom, shit hits the fan, they go out for revenge and to get their crystal back.

Famassu

I don't understand how that is confusing. It's a JRPG. JRPGs often have parts where you are in the wilderness fighting enemies and in some games even driving some kind of vehicle. This is a trailer that showcases that part of a JRPG. Then we have the E3 2013 trailer showcasing a more scripted & controlled story event in the game. The only thing we have still to see completely is just normal city gameplay (without huge Leviathans or invading force's soldiers & Behemoths causing havoc)

Lernaean

Banned
I absolutely loved what i saw and i believe that, when it finaly releases, it will be the best FF in years.
This right now feels like the gen of RPGs, and i'm damn excited.

TheF1BOB

Banned

I think the trailer is just to say "Hey guys, we're still making this you know?" than tell us anything meaningful about the story or what the hell it is about.

ViciousDS

Banned
I absolutely loved what i saw and i believe that, when it finaly releases, it will be the best FF in years.
This right now feels like the gen of RPGs, and i'm damn excited.

This is going to be as big of a watcher as FFVII........if this succeeds and gets huge praise it will be PS1 JRPG era all over again. Everyone is watching the status of this game, SE has all eyes on them now.

Shahed

I told myself i wouldn't get excited until I has a release date close by. But dammit this trailer and Type-0 plus demo in March has me feeling like an overeager school boy again!

Newboi

You have no idea what the game is about? It's easy to tell by the trailer. It's about 4 bros going on the greatest road trip ever...only, their trip will somehow decide the very fate of their world.

FFXV: The Epic Brotrip

Pilgrimzero

This reminds me of the Tomb Raider franchise. While the grahpics keep going up everything else suffers. People still say the original is the best (but oh those dated graphics!)

They keep trying and trying to make the game playable by the lowest common denominator. Slicker, easier, with amazing graphics! And what's funny is while simplifying everything they still go for a mess of a plot. Fal'ci vs the B'Ce in the G'Ci at the M'Ci whatever etc etc etc

FF has become all flashing lights and awesome graphics but lacks real substance. But that's to appeal to the mass market right? Todays gamer. Style over substance.

Really I can get passed it being a sci fi series now. I can get passed the decline in art (but wow those graphics!) and linear gameplay (open world PLEASE) but for the love of God keep the story down to earth.

You know for all it's low techness FF4 and 6 had amazing stories and character development. Rydia couldn't cast fire magic because her village burned. Tellahs daughter dies in a bombing raid. Mnt' Ordeals puts the hero through a trial and he comes out a better man. And jeeze FF6 had so many character arcs it was amazing.

Ive played every FF up till 13 and I got 3 hours in and just couldn't take it anymore. What happened?

When did FF come more about style over substance?

That's it right there. Style over substance. Square , listen to me, stop dumping cash into pretty boy men and massive monsters I'm going to kill 2 seconds later and hire a writer that actually has some real writing chops. Heck, look outside of Japan.

Writing writing writing. It's an RPG. We come for an amazing story. An adventure. Like in a book. We don't need to see how highly detailed the 400 belts the guy is wearing or how amazing the car looks. That's not the point. Story. Look at FF13 and do the opposite of that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Never remember anyone mentioning this. The only thing I remember is that Nomura said there will be more party members but not as much as we would expect.

I think it was here: http://finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865

Finaland & FFDream: Thank you very much !

We’ve seen a lot of male characters with Noctis and his friends. Is there going to be girls as playable characters as well ?

Tetsuya Nomura: I can’t say anything specific now but it would be... quite difficult, to have a girl playable.

kurahador

"Final Fantasy XV – Episode Duscae takes place near the beginning of Final Fantasy XV"

According to the playstation blog. Which is why I believe the roadtrip is a prologue, they get to their kingdom, shit hits the fan, they go out for revenge and to get their crystal back.

Huh...ok. I'd applaud the game if it opens and handle the exposition with something laid back like that.

Looks vastly more polished so I guess the long wait between footage was worth it. Still hate, HATE, this group's design. Please let there be a costume system or something (can't believe I'm asking for that.)

But, that's exactly how RPGs are? Replace the "car" with a "flying ship" or "carriage" or something.

Lucael

From the crazy thread that has been locked a while ago:

- The battle system shown in the trailer it's an auto-attack fest. You don't see anything spectacular, or any interesting spells, only people swinging their weapons slowly against monsters.

- The car doesn't "blend" well in the enviroments. In the first scene, the wheels are supposed to move some sand with a proper effect but nothing If i can recall.

- Stop it with this "fantasy grounded on reality", it's only a marketing tag (VIII and VII were the same). How they can still talk about that with huge monsters like the one at the beginning of the trailer? Leviathan made sense in a FF-lore way but that? Not really.

- The video show characters that, at last on their design, are so damn cliché. The shady main character, the smart-but-ugly guy with glasses, the big one holding a zweihander, the blonde type with pitched voice screaming "sugoi" or something.

Philippo

Kagari (or someone else), can you confirm, if possible, this time it's all 100% real time and not target render like E3 2013?

Also fuck Shimomura (not really), i'm so gonna put my road trip playlist while in the car.
I want Prompto to sing when i play Surrender.

So Rockstar and the Monster Hunter developers teamed up to make my dream game? Thank you guys! I love how cool this trailer was, causal road trip mixed with dungeon crawling. Finally an RPG with some fantastic and new aesthetic design that does not have it's head up it's ass and pretend it's some sort of "EPIC" tale in the making. I guess this is what happens when you bring the imagination back to Final Fantasy

I assume the Mercedes or was it a Bentley is our new airship?
Really wanted a game world like this. Late 21st century and modern tech crossed with magic
But yes the characters don't seem particularly special. Very safe. The Japanese equivalent of grunty marines

- The video show characters that, at last on their design, are so damn cliché. The shady main character, the smart-but-ugly guy with glasses, the big one holding a zweihander, the blonde type with pitched voice screaming "sugoi" or something.

This.

It really seems they try to win back the "Fujoshi" market in Japan with this one. I mean every FF had this "anime"-vibe before, but judging from this trailer I felt like I watched a trailer for an anime. Even the Seiyuus are the ones you recognize from anime.

Gbraga

- The battle system shown in the trailer it's an auto-attack fest. You don't see anything spectacular, or any interesting spells, only people swinging their weapons slowly against monsters.

- The car doesn't "blend" well in the enviroments. In the first scene, the wheels are supposed to move some sand with a proper effect but nothing If i can recall.

- Stop it with this "fantasy grounded on reality", it's only a marketing tag (VIII and VII were the same). How they can still talk about that with huge monsters like the one at the beginning of the trailer? Leviathan made sense in a FF-lore way but that? Not really.

There were spells in the E3 2013 demo :p

If this really is a prologue, then it explains the lack of more combat variety. The FFXIII demo didn't even have the paradigms, did it? And Paradigm Shift is the main reason the combat was so damn good there.

That said, yes, it's slow as shit, I'm definitely not sold on the combat.

And Ignis ain't ugly, come on.

Koozek

Not exactly what I was meaning here. I apologize if I somehow offended people by thinking this, I was being extremely dumb and shortsighted by forgetting these things (monster design and mythology) but I was just referring to the fact this isn't turn based. Outside of the MMO's this is the first FF game in the main line numbered game that isnt primarily a turn based RPG was all I was referring to.

Dude, I didn't mean it in a bad way^^ Sorry, if it came across that way. It's just that sometimes this mentality that everything should stay the same that I often hear in the FF community is so annoying and backwards (especially about FFXV and even more so on German message boards after every trailer). I went back and played every FF since I was 7 (when FFVII released). I don't want the same old ATB system for another 25 years, even though I was still loving it in FFX and especially in FFX-2. I'm open for experiments, however, and excited to see what they come up with in FFXVI.
One can cherish the past and still want change for the future.
Sorry for the rant. This topic just always gets me :D

He needs a .gif where he pushes up his glasses to be a proper response to this.

Also, I think it doesn't get more "fantasy grounded in reality" than a modern looking car riding in a grassland setting filled with gargantuan monsters. It works here, although as you said, it really isn't anything too new.

Ateron

I'm almost in tears here goddamnit. It looks amazing and seems to be fun to play. Can we drive wherever we please, and are there day/night cycles, or am I reading too much into ths?

At this this point I don't know if I should be happy or sad. SE nowadays seems like that old girlfriend you still have a soft spot for. She shows up every now and then only to remind you that she's still there, she's still hot and she still doesn't want anything to do with you for the time being, but please keep on waiting uh-uh.

Stop teasing and give us the damn game!! I was 18 when they announced this, hope to play this beauty before I get married and kids too x)

Matriox

Dude, I didn't mean it in a bad way^^ Sorry, if it came across that way. It's just that sometimes this mentality that everything should stay the same that I often hear in the FF community is so annoying and backwards (especially about FFXV and even more so on German message boards after every trailer). I went back and played every FF since I was 7 (when FFVII released). I don't want the same old ATB system for another 25 years, even though I was still loving it in FFX and especially in FFX-2. I'm open for experiments, however, and excited to see what they come up with in FFXVI.
One can cherish the past and still want change for the future.
Sorry for the rant. This topic just always gets me :D

Oh I completely understand and agree, but just as an aside I had no idea this wasn't going to be turn based, I havn't followed Final Fantasy much since XI. I mean if they turned Monster Hunter into a turn based rpg, I would feel the same way I feel here, I wouldn't want it as a main line numbered game because the gameplay isn't the same at all. I actually like both ARPGs and turn based tons so I will be picking this up regardless, I just didn't do a very good job at wording my post AT ALL. I was thinking this was along the same lines as Bravely Default where the gameplay is similar and the story is too but the difference in the combat from Brave/Default system in addition to turn based changed the name and didn't make a connection at all with my post.

Eggbok

Going off various comments in this thread it would seem that a lot of people had no idea you could drive around with team Noctis lol.

Famassu

This reminds me of the Tomb Raider franchise. While the grahpics keep going up everything else suffers.
Except.. uhh.. everything else does not seem to be suffering? The combat looks like it could be a top tier action RPG, the story seems intriquing, the world just calls to you to explore it etc.

They keep trying and trying to make the game playable by the lowest common denominator. Slicker, easier, with amazing graphics! And what's funny is while simplifying everything they still go for a mess of a plot. Fal'ci vs the B'Ce in the G'Ci at the M'Ci whatever etc etc etc
There are the fal'cie and l'cie. How hard is it to remember two terms?

And why are you acting like FFs have EVER been anything more than JRPGs for the lowest common denominator? The majority of FFs are piss easy, super straightforward JRPGs. They are fun, effortless adventures and that's one of the biggest reasons why the franchise is so popular while franchises like Shin Megami Tensei, a series with some actual thought put into the world & story and some depth & challenge into its combat. is still relatively unpopular.

Really I can get passed it being a sci fi series now. I can get passed the decline in art (but wow those graphics!)
Decline in art? Uh... how about no?

and linear gameplay (open world PLEASE)
This game isn't linear. Well, it has a linear story like all old FFs too, but the world will open up little by little.

but for the love of God keep the story down to earth.
That's the plan for this game. At least Nomura's plan was to keep the main story of the game simple. Crystal gets stolen, main characters set out on a road trip to get it back, this with the backdrop of countries at war & the friendship between Noctis and his friends.

That's it right there. Style over substance. Square , listen to me, stop dumping cash into pretty boy men
This criticism about "pretty boy" men is always so stupid, idiotic, moronic. Who gives a shit if the characters have a bit of effeminity (besides, they don't, Noctis & co are far from "pretty boys")? Have you not seen Amano's designs, who are the palest, prettiest boys of them all?

I'm not seeing much resemblance to Xenoblade combat at all.

It's the pacing, the way the characters position themselves, the flourish of each attack.

I understand that from a controls perspective it's probably more KH, but the tempo of battle seems really similar to Xenoblade/FFXII.

Dark_castle

- How is it auto-attack when it clearly shows Noctis switching weapons seamlessly and performing different sorts of combo? And even though these are the more basic attacks, magic spells and summons are all confirmed to be in tact. Just because it wasn't showcased doesn't mean it has been removed.

- I will give you the car argument, the car movement physics could use more improvement.

- Fantasy based on reality is basically just their way of expressing the nature of the setting, which was a mixed of contemporary environment in certain region along with the more fantasy locale found in other places.

- Everything is cliche if you think in the big picture. It's 2014, not 1991. Besides, you mainly only judge them by their appearance and a few quick chatters. Is it really fair?

Ombala

Only me that have a really hard time with the character design? Cant stop thinking about a JPOP boyband when I see them.

Lucael

And Ignis ain't ugly, come on.

He needs a .gif where he pushes up his glasses to be a proper response to this.

Also, I think it doesn't get more "fantasy grounded in reality" than a modern looking car riding in a grassland setting filled with gargantuan monsters. It works here, although as you said, it really isn't anything too new.

In a bishonen rank (another clichè) it's supposed to be the less good-looking guy around there. But guess what? He will probably be the smart one (it's not my fault you guys have a thing for dudes with glasses!).

The fun thing about the "fantasy grounded on reality" is:
1) we'll be used to defend any flaws of this game
2) it's supposed to be something new but it's something old around from VIII and in some way from VII

Gbraga

Going off various comments in this thread it would seem that a lot of people had no idea you could drive around with team Noctis lol.

I've been following this for a really long time, and while I did know about usable vehicles, I wasn't expecting such a roadtrip vibe from the game, which is really awesome to me.

You could drive around all day and it still wouldn't feel like a road trip as much as it does in this trailer. It's not just about going somewhere using a car, but "acting like a roadtrip", the character interactions (which is why I really like the dialogue bits about wanting to take a bath and stuff that some people seem to hate) and how they react to their environment. They have to deliberately go for the roadtrip feel.

Top Bottom