• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GAMERGATE: The Threadening [Read the OP] -- #StopGamerGate2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYeager

And take your man-bits. Don't forget that.

No, but seriously. Some GGer gave me a piece of their mind the other day because despite otherwise loving the Bayonetta series I stated that I wasn't a total fan of her character design. That alone was enough for me to be a SJW-freedom-of-speech-hater.

Oh, and I'm not even joking about that last bit. They actually went on to call me a SJW and hater of free-speech. I just had to put on my poker face and skedaddle.

I always find it amusing when those who claim to defend free speech are also the first ones to try and silence someone for having an opinion that doesn't match with theirs.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
If that's the case, why should they care about how you feel? You don't win social justice unless you convince folks to do the right thing even when it doesn't benefit them.

It's not them you worry about. You get the people who aren't:
Oppressors
Power holders unwilling to relinquish power
Keepers of the status quo
Privileged unwilling to let go of their privilege

to join your side and make the environment hostile for the groups listed. Racism hasn't gone away at all in America, but it is less socially acceptable to express racist views in most circles.

You can't change everybody's views, but you can make them play ball with the rest of society.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The thing is you can't online. No matter how you approach it, they've errected enormous walls around their position. The best you can do is to point out the obvious flaws in their thinking to convince third party lurkers who might be undecided on the topic.

If enough people point out how ridiculous their position actually is they tend to go away but they don't change their minds.

Offline, you can. Both my current best friend and the best man at my wedding had MRA leanings as I live in the canadian bible belt. Just presenting the ideas in common sense ways tends to convince them. Like dissecting ideas about certain minorities we have and how it would influence our treatment of those people then expanding that out of what that'd mean to the persons life. It may also help that I'm a minority and I can demonstrate when unjust bullshit occurs.

So my best man went a wee bit too far left now and could be considered a 'sjw' and my best friend no longer thinks white guys are the most discriminated against.

Maybe other people have had a better experience online?

100% Agree.

I think that the proliferation of the internet and discourse across the internet has shown me that there is something very..biological about how we communicate in person versus online. Because people do things online that they would never do in person, even if their real name is attached to the statements (see: Facebook comments).

I am of the belief that most people will require a personal level of communication in order to change. I am aware that most of my arguing on the internet is about making myself feel better, not actually creating change. Heck, I'm now spending more time talking to MHWilliams about gaming journalism and a move towards the Cult of Personality? because I don't know much about it and he's in a position where he would know more.

And, even if you do accept that the movement is to some extent legit but with 'a few bad apples', you're then faced with

io5drs2AY5I5Z.JPG

which continues to make me snort in laughter embarassingly whenever I read it.

That, right there, is a great tweet.

JackDT

https://archive.today/v1VJN

OPERATION KRAMPUS

Winter is coming, and with it the holiday sales rush. We are two months into #GamerGate, advertisers continue to withdraw, but the gaming websites have issued no apology and continue to survive. It's time to escalate. People have said from the beginning that if this drags out until winter, it will affect games sales and force the hand of developers. It is time to assure that. The operation is twofold:

1) A complete boycott of games made by companies who send review codes/copies to anti-gamer publications. Gamers are under attack by the gaming websites. The developers cannot support both, and anything done by developers that allows these websites to thrive is a show of support. Contact the PR departments of the game companies. Let them know that we are angry and offended. Tell them that we will not support companies who work with the websites that have attacked us.

The message needs to be crystal clear: Support people who attack your customers and your customers will no longer support you.

First step is to collect information. Compile a list of companies who send review codes/copies to Kotaku, Polygon, and the like and how to contact their PR departments. Then let the emails fly. This will be our winter campaign

They really hate Polygon and Kotaku wow.

Tapejara

Niche Gamer (who have been very pro-GamerGate) put out another editorial, arguing about the misrepresentation of Gamer Culture. While the article isn't poorly written, I feel that the premise that the author presents is flawed.

The author argues that there are two ways of viewing culture, through a "modernist" and "postmodernist" viewpoint. The definition given by the author follows:

Modernity, in the simplest terms, is History. It is the conflict of grand narratives that shaped the lives of the citizens of the 20th century. Systems of government, national identities, religions, racial and tribal identities, mythologies; these are the social realities that shape history, the grand narratives that define modernity. In a modern culture, all meaning flows out from the grand narrative like a tree, each branch being a new interpretation, and each leaf being an idea. All experience, all knowledge, all understanding flows back to the trunk of the grand narrative, and all reality is understood through the social agreement of which grand narrative to apply.

Postmodernity, however, Jean Baudrillard points out, is where grand narrative breaks down, replaced instead by a system of small narratives, combining and intermingling to take the place of the defunct grand narrative, and creating meaning, not from a hierarchical dogma, but from personal mythology built from the found intellectual objects of society, recombined, recontextualized, and given new meaning in their use, rather than meaning being handed down from a grand narrative. Postmodernity is slang, the mash-up, the in joke, the meme, rather than the sermon, the dissertation, the lecture, or the speech, which defined the truth of modernity. As Hiroki aptly describes it, if modernity can be viewed as a tree of grand narrative, then postmodernity is best viewed as a database of small narratives.

The author then argues that "Social Justice" types are rooted in modernity, ideology and that they feel "they think they are doing what is best for all of humanity, and therefore anyone not helping them, or standing in their way, is hurting all humanity." What I believe the author is suggesting, is that those viewing Gamer Culture through a postmodern lens do so in a more nuanced matter.

However, I disagree with the central premise of modern and postmodern critique - at least when it relates to video games. Story based mediums are not rooted solely in individualism, but are also influenced by culture at large. This includes various institutions, belief systems and other over arching aspects of culture that would fall under the definition of modernism. It seems dishonest to say that games and gamer culture cannot be criticized through a modern lens, when the medium is influenced by it. The statement that those vying for "Social Justice" are rooted in archaic and dogmatic belief systems is dismissive of the influence that modernity still has on our culture, suggesting that any type of social critique is invalid.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the authors definition of "modern" and "postmodern," but I feel the overall dismissal of social critique as being rooted in dogma to be rather disheartening.

vcc

https://archive.today/v1VJN

They really hate Polygon and Kotaku wow.

May work less now that they did it to intel. Advertisers are likely aware of how #gg is percieved now and to associate positively with them would hurt more thab the withdrawl of business of a few thousand people. Even so, most advertisers are game industry which would be keenly aware of who they are and what it means to accommodate them.

I feel like the Gamergate contingent on GAF has abandoned trying to argue in this thread, and are instead in places like the Bayonetta threads now.

andymcc

Banned
Has anyone mentioned the boycott #GG is trying to organize against the new Borderlands?

4bkJolG.png

(i thought the highlighted was particularly hilarious)

All because of this:

Bz7CTvICUAA16Q-.png

but don't censor our games, guys!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone mentioned the boycott #GG is trying to organize against the new Borderlands?

Oh shit, I'm not playing Borderlands right now and I don't plan to buy it. Guess I'm unconsciously supporting gamergate, and Gearbox is fucked.

Vcc, What strategy and tactics would you suggest in order to convince ingrained racists/sexists/homophobes/etc. about these disadvantages of other people when they won't listen to knowledge and other People's life experiences? I'm super curious.

Thanks for the post btw I completely agree that diplomacy and rhetorics are important and it's a sensitive topic to get across.

Any strongly opinionated person won't be swayed by words. They'll need to see things with their own eyes, and even then, there's no guarantee they won't just force what they're seeing into their pre-existing worldview, as this thread demonstrates quite neatly.

As an aside, what's causing the rhetoric to describe gamergaters as "ignorant"?

vcc

Oh shit, I'm not playing Borderlands right now and I don't plan to buy it. Guess I'm unconsciously supporting gamergate, and Gearbox is fucked.

The idea crossed my head and it annoys me I thought that way. I wasn't going to buy it because I found borderlands2 disappointing. Now I might spite buy the pre sequel. I hate the fact such a petty idea crossed my mind.

docbon

Dudes spite purchasing bayonetta 2 as a "fuck you to corrupt journalists" when the game has damn near universal acclaim. What?

mjlol.png

I feel like the Gamergate contingent on GAF has abandoned trying to argue in this thread, and are instead in places like the Bayonetta threads now.

why would anyone be in favor of gamergate and display it on GAF (and more precisely this thread). I mean, there's no happy ending to that.

A complete boycott of games made by companies who send review codes/copies
Oh, look, an actual issue related to journalism ethics! I mean, receiving review copies isn't inherently a sign of corruption, after all, they're incredibly common in most other media industries (movies and music and books) and really, targeting them seems like pretty small potatoes, but on the broader subject that GamerGate claims to be interested in of tackling the degree to which publications rely on companies they write about for content, it's kinda sorta tangentially relevant and if you really want to push back against anything that could be perceived as influence-peddling, and if you want to direct your attention on the publishers that foster that perception, then I guess you could do worse than taking a hardline stance against the entire practice of publishers providing pre-release games to everyone--

to anti-gamer publications.
Oh.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Dudes spite purchasing bayonetta 2 as a "fuck you to corrupt journalists" when the game has damn near universal acclaim. What?

mjlol.png

God, if gamergaters mass-purchase Bayonetta 2 and make Bayonetta 3 possible, I think I might forgive them.

Not really.

Well, the insistence that certain facts that have been proven false time and time again still continue to be part of the group's rallying cry, for one.

To be ignorant is to lack knowledge about something. The pro-GG talking pieces lack the adequate knowledge to make the claims they do. In this case they are by definition ignorant.

Guys, please. Trying to clarify rhetoric with more rhetoric gets nowhere.

Do they realise that Gearbox didn't develop this particular Borderlands game?

It's not about Gearbox. It's about Anthony Burch.

Mesoian

It's not about Gearbox. It's about Anthony Burch.

It's not about Anthony Burch. It's about the fact that GG thinks games journalists should be inherently opposed to game developers, never talk to one another, and treat each other like members of a different team in a game of sports.

I mean seriously, if this is their line of thinking, then they're going to boycott every video game on the market, because for the life of me, I cannot think of one major publisher who hasn't employed someone from the games journalism sector after their respective site dried up.

This boils down to people thinking they know how the industry works, but don't. These are the people who tried to give Lab Zero shit about the Skullgirls kickstarter. Petulant children.

JackDT

I think it is because of Burch. Especially ironic given that he wrote way less of this game than Borderlands 2.

Some reviews refer to me as "THE writer" of Pre-Sequel. I only wrote 30%; the rest was by Maurice Suckling, Marek Walton & Kirsten Kahler.

Also: I only wrote 90%ish of BL2. Half of Scooter & Tannis's VO was written by Mikey Neumann, & half the psycho battle VO was Raison Varner.

Who in particular?
I didnt write down names, just look at "Bayonetta and sexualization", or the Bayonetta review thread, or the Toad thread where they dogpiled on a woman for expressing speculative disappointment that the female character might just be a damsel in distress, or look at the "Objectification and slut shaming" thread for some particularly colorful examples.

"It's not about Gearbox, it's about Anthony Burch."

"It's not about Anthony, it's about this line of dialog."

"It's not about the game, it's about what Burch said on Twitter."

"It's not about what Burch said, it's about Destructoid."

You're all wrong and right, because it's about all those things, and a dozen other things, and NONE of these things. It's about whatever sounds good at the time.

There's no fucking coherence. Just lashing out.

Mesoian

"It's not about Gearbox, it's about Anthony Burch."

"It's not about Anthony, it's about this line of dialog."

"It's not about the game, it's about what Burch said on Twitter."

"It's not about what Burch said, it's about Destructoid."

You're all wrong and right, because it's about all those things, and a dozen other things, and NONE of these things. It's about whatever sounds good at the time.

There's no fucking coherence. Just lashing out.

Seriously waiting for the "I pirated the game to punish Destructoid" argument when half of their steam list is playing it day 1.

MYeager

mjlol.png

The Steam GamerGate curation page lists games that were unfairly criticized for depictions of women within the games. Top game: Arkham City - Game of the Year edition. Critical acclaim apparently doesn't mean much if you so much as sharing that you find how the game treats a female character poorly.

freddy

Banned
I didnt write down names, just look at "Bayonetta and sexualization", or the Bayonetta review thread, or the Toad thread where they dogpiled on a woman for expressing speculative disappointment that the female character might just be a damsel in distress, or look at the "Objectification and slut shaming" thread for some particularly colorful examples.

I think witch hunting people across the forum and accusing them of being gamergaters isn't one of your best ideas. If you want it to spill out of this thread and shit up the forum then please continue.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134310740&postcount=467

Guys, please. Trying to clarify rhetoric with more rhetoric gets nowhere.

If you don't accept the literal definition of the word and the documented history of the group's actions as qualifying evidence, I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for. It is not pure rhetoric to describe a group that is shocked to discover that professional networking groups exist in most industries, that professionals in the same sphere discussing their work amongst themselves is perfectly normal, that criticism and social commentary including feminist critique has a long and storied history in every other medium of expression and is not by any means unique to video games, that women have historically and systematically been underrepresented in most media, that women generally face greater levels of harassment and unwanted attention (often sexual) than men both online and in person, or that women working in male-dominated industries such as games often experience harassment and unwanted attention in addition to having few resources to push back against it and not feeling empowered to speak up about it contributing to a hostile environment. Anyone to whom any of these concepts is surprising or difficult to believe and wants to challenge the validity of them could, perhaps uncharitably, but nevertheless accurately, be described as "ignorant." This is not to impugn malice or intent, but to literally describe the fact that such people know not of what they speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom