• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen: Early Impressions

aravuus

I'm a lot older than you are...

Wow^^

How old are you?

29 years old and you act like a child. I know that's a tiresome cliche but it's the truth

Thought you we're around 13-15, at least then you could blame youth, now.... now you have no excuses

Ahahaha

I think we all know who's the one acting like a goddamn child here

Oh my god lmao

e:
Since you're incapable of having a mature discussion...

DAMN

fcobento

Neo Member
Since you're incapable of having a mature discussion i'll just spell it out for you:

Ninja Gaiden/Black also have a story, but it's very basic, it's not suppose to be deep.The same goes for souls series, they are not "deep". This is not rocket science, then again when my daughter screems her face red her brain also shuts off for a few minutes. But she's 8 years old and you're 29........

Absolutely spot on, couldn't have said it better my self.

Ok, now I am just curious... how old are you?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Looking at the system requirements, I think I'm going to go PC on this one. The recommended reqs are super low... will probably hit 60FPS with no tearing on my mid range box.

I was set on the PS4 SKU before, but tearing? No thanks.

Jesus at the thread derailment...

I posted a question to the Devs if a patch is in the works to address the screen tearing for console versions. I will let everyone know the response (if any)- I will repost this in the OT whenever it pops up-

Naminator

Banned
tumblr_m6coadfYL51qeg3czo1_500.gif

Every time people get mad at other for stating something obvious, like Dark Souls games have incredibly shallow stories and almost no story telling elements in the game it reminds me of this moment from a YMS review.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Nope, people need intelligence to pull off that kind of trolling. He genuinely believes that Dark Souls has a superficial narrative.

Sothpaw

Finished Wasteland 2 last night so my slate is clean for Lords tomorrow night. Got it preordered on Steam and can't wait.

addyb

I'm sorry fellow gaf'ers. I was the one that stated DS didn't have a story and it's snowballed from there. I feel it's my fault.

Let's get back OT if we can :)

Trace

Banned
This reminds me of TLOU threads. Just because one element is praised above the rest, doesn't mean the other elements don't exist. Dark Souls most certainly has a story and a lot of lore, and you're kind of oblivious if you couldn't grasp that. (Not you, Spainkiller)

Why must everything be in absolutes? Jesus.

There's a difference between lore and story though. Destiny has more lore than just about any game I've ever seen, but the story is shit. DS has good lore and shit story.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm sorry fellow gaf'ers. I was the one that stated DS didn't have a story and it's snowballed from there. I feel it's my fault.

Let's get back OT if we can :)

I can't think of many games (except those where appropriate) that do not actually have a story. Having a story, and having a solid, well told story are two entirely different things. Dark Souls story, in my humble opinion, is far inferior to the actual world building FROMSOFT does through flavor text on items and random non-central to actual gameplay story completion dialogue.

From what has been shown so far of LoTF, CI is presenting the story in a less obtuse, more direct manner with what seems like a clear goal. It will take actually getting the game and finishing it to determine whether they managed to actually give a good story experience (voice acting aside).

addyb

I know I did say after I was ott saying it didn't have a story. I know it does but it's rather weak imo. But like I also said I love the souls games. My favourites of last gen by a mile.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The plot in Souls games is minimalist. The backstory is there, but also kind of minimalist and not in-your-face. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but it's obvious that the lore, backstory, etc. are not as shallow as you might think.

Saying they have a "shit story" seems absurdly harsh. Not all stories have deep, complicated plots. It certainly doesn't have much in terms of plot twist or climaxes or anything like that, and if that's what you want in a story then you might be left a bit cold, but that doesn't make it bad per se. If you really think it is bad, well, I can't change your mind, but hey, at least it's not intrusive.

Personally I am indifferent to it. The lore has some moments of greatness, though I'm not as heavily invested into it as others who spend hours dissecting it are. I just don't care enough, and it satisfies me, because I can focus on the gameplay experience. I actually really like the minimalist approach and I wish more games would do the same. I love cinematic, cut-scene heavy, more straightfoward storytelling if the story is good, but since it so rarely is, I tend to prefer the Souls approach.

tl;dr if you're gonna spam cut scenes at me, they're better be damn good. Uncharted 1 & 2, TLoU, Legacy of Kain, Panzer Dragoon do this, and it works because the stories are great. They seem to be rare exceptions though. For the rest, give me minimalist storytelling like Souls, please!

Sanctuary

The biggest thing this game had going for me is that the YT and Twitch guys who are really big in the Souls community got a positive vibe from it. I watched ENB's, Vaati's, and Lobos vids on this game. If those guys said it was worth buying and playing that's good enough for me.

They never played the entire game and the preview they were allowed to play stopped after the second boss.

They never played the entire game and the preview they were allowed to play stopped after the second boss.

Ok. So let me say this. I've played pretty far into the game. I still really, really like it. I mean I see more technical issues with it then actually problems with the way it's designed, made or the story.

Also some of the hostility in this thread is terri-bad. I'd love to answer questions from people that are wondering thoughts from someone who is actually more on the postive side for this game. It's good to see it from both sides.

Every time people get mad at other for stating something obvious, like Dark Souls games have incredibly shallow stories and almost no story telling elements in the game it reminds me of this moment from a YMS review.

The story is no where near shallow, Souls games have a richer story, and back story than almost every game out there. It's story is just told differently and this has been established many times over.

The majority of games that attempt to "tell" a story fail almost every single time. The approach Souls games take is more genuine and struck a stronger cord with me than any game I had played prior to, or after that.

Sanctuary

The story is no where near shallow, Souls games have a richer story, and back story than almost every game out there. It's story is just told differently and this has been established many times over.

The majority of games that attempt to "tell" a story fail almost every single time. The approach Souls games take is more genuine and struck a stronger cord with me than any game I had played prior to, or after that.

This is what always annoys me when people start discussing how "deep" the stories of the Souls games are. Many of these same people act as if they figured everything out on their own, that everything was just so "obvious" and clicked with them during their first playthrough, that they didn't watch Youtube videos that explained it, nor looked up some of it on the Wiki.

The games have a lot of lore that you have to actively seek out. That's not the same thing as storytelling even if they are related. After you have all of the pieces, you can see what the history is, but by no means is it laid out in a coherent fashion. You have to put the puzzle together yourself. It's akin to taking a book and jumping around randomly through the chapters and pages.

This is what always annoys me when people start discussing how "deep" the stories of the Souls games are. Many of these same people act as if they figured everything out on their own, that everything was just so "obvious" and clicked with them during their first playthrough, that they didn't watch Youtube videos that explained it, nor looked up some of it on the Wiki.

The games have a lot of lore that you have to actively seek out. That's not the same thing as storytelling even if they are related. After you have all of the pieces, you can see what the history is, but by no means is it laid out in a coherent fashion. You have to put the puzzle together yourself.

I'd be willing to bet the majority of players that do play Souls def don't play it for any sort of story. Sure the world building the core ideas and lore is all there and it's great. Yet there is no in your face story and a lot of it has to be just sorta figured out. Which might be great, but isn't necessarily great storytelling in theory. Just depends on what people enjoy and take out of it I suppose.

Naminator

Banned

Yeah I'm sure that's how a lot of people felt after watching videos from EpicNameBro and VaatiVidya spoon feeding the story and lore of the game them.

Like really are we going to pretend that having a bunch of item descriptions that are subject to interpretation are a substitute for true story telling?

Anyway, I honestly will stop now since I know how utterly pointless it is to talk to any Souls fan about this, since their thoughts and ideas are too deep for me or anyone to possibly understand.

ironcreed

Banned
I'd be willing to bet the majority of players that do play Souls def don't play it for any sort of story. Sure the world building the core ideas and lore is all there and it's great. Yet there is no in your face story and a lot of it has to be just sorta figured out. Which might be great, but isn't necessarily great storytelling in theory. Just depends on what people enjoy and take out of it I suppose.

That is me. I just love the bleak mood, the gameplay and challenge. I had to actively research before I ever discovered the depth of the lore, which is indeed some great stuff. It is what it is and I love it for that. But I do appreciate something that is more laid out for you, even if it is not as deep or interesting. I think I'll dig this game for what it is as well and am not going in trying to pit it against the Souls series.

rabidranger

Neo Member
To me, this seems like a perfect "bridge" game. Released as there is a lull for me in Destiny and before Dragon Age; Inquisition comes out in about three weeks.

The games have a lot of lore that you have to actively seek out. That's not the same thing as storytelling even if they are related. After you have all of the pieces, you can see what the history is, but by no means is it laid out in a coherent fashion. You have to put the puzzle together yourself. It's akin to taking a book and jumping around randomly through the chapters and pages.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That is me. I just love the bleak mood, the gameplay and challenge. I had to actively research before I ever discovered the depth of the lore, which is indeed some great stuff. It is what it is and I love it for that. But I do appreciate something that is more laid out for you, even if it is not as deep or interesting. I think I'll dig this game for what it is as well and am not going in trying to pit it against the Souls series.

It's interesting since the game is more in your face about the story, but don't let that make you think it holds your hand in guiding you were to go. Games main quests notifications are very one sentence and no marker to show you were to go. I like the approach. Here is my first two hours I streamed and explained a lot of the core stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRAmNYhl-N8&list=UUneXwJFn1BrVSUNOlrneROg The only thing I still can't figure out is the checpoints/respawn crystals. See the game has potions and you can get more empty viles which give you more. So for example if I keep returning to a crytal it heals me and fills my potions but only fills up so many, but sometimes its more then others and I can't tell whats the determning factor. If you die though, you get them all back.

I must be missing something. I don't think people do that at all (act as if they discovered the story by themselves), in fact, I remember there being tons of discussion of the Dark Souls lore as people were piecing it together.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the actual "depth" of the Dark Souls story/lore. I mean, I didn't figure out most of the story when I played it but I did have a basic understanding of the lore and every repeated replay added to that.

Taij

The problem with ps4 version isn't just tearing, there are very noticeable framerate issues.

Where do you see the very noticeable framerate issues? I have been playing it a fair amount and haven't noticed yet. And I said this before but the tearing was horrendous before the day 1 patch but is significantly improved after the patch. I just played for an hour or so and didn't notice any tearing (though I have noticed it post patch.)

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's interesting since the game is more in your face about the story, but don't let that make you think it holds your hand in guiding you were to go. Games main quests notifications are very one sentence and no marker to show you were to go. I like the approach. Here is my first two hours I streamed and explained a lot of the core stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRAmNYhl-N8&list=UUneXwJFn1BrVSUNOlrneROg The only thing I still can't figure out is the checpoints/respawn crystals. See the game has potions and you can get more empty viles which give you more. So for example if I keep returning to a crytal it heals me and fills my potions but only fills up so many, but sometimes its more then others and I can't tell whats the determning factor. If you die though, you get them all back.

The small crystals surrounding the checkpoint determine how many potions it fills up. Was mentioned at the start.

Kensuke

All right, I'm on NG+ now and thus far I've been pretty positive about this game. Two bugs have soured the experience for me though.

Voices don't work anymore. Both enemies and the hero are deadly silent during attacks. Cutscenes are also voiceless. It's not like I love the guy grunting his lines of dialogue, but this is still terrible. It has happened before too, but restarting the game fixed it. Now it's permanent.

The other bug might be even worse. There are this little pressure panels you stand on that make locked doors temporarily open up. Well, one of this doors has glitched and now it's half open forever. I don't fit through it though. Restarting doesn't help. Now I'll never know what's behind the door.

Starting a new file isn't an option, I'm on NG+ after all. This shit is going to make me quit on the game entirely. It's so god damn irritating.

All right, I'm on NG+ now and thus far I've been pretty positive about this game. Two bugs have soured the experience for me though.

Voices don't work anymore. Both enemies and the hero are deadly silent during attacks. Cutscenes are also voiceless. It's not like I love the guy grunting his lines of dialogue, but this is still terrible. It has happened before too, but restarting the game fixed it. Now it's permanent.

The other bug might be even worse. There are this little pressure panels you stand on that make locked doors temporarily open up. Well, one of this doors has glitched and now it's half open forever. I don't fit through it though. Restarting doesn't help. Now I'll never know what's behind the door.

Starting a new file isn't an option, I'm on NG+ after all. This shit is going to make me quit on the game entirely. It's so god damn irritating.
What starting classes/skills have you used? What would you recommend for playing through NG? I was considering Cleric + Brawler on my first playthrough.

Kensuke

What starting classes/skills have you used? What would you recommend for playing through NG? I was considering Cleric + Brawler on my first playthrough.

Well, I'm not sure I can recommend the game at all anymore. :p

Anyway, I played with a Rogue, can't remember if it was brawler or whatever. Doesn't really matter, just like in the Souls game you can customize your character however you like in terms of stats. Rogue is a good pick because of deception magic. The mimic skill can straight up destroy anything.

Cleric is not a good choice I think. You don't really need defensive skills, because you get plenty of healing potions. At the end I had 12 potions, which was overkill.

Ugh. Sorry your game is so fucked. Guess i will backup my save every few hours... hopefully this shit gets patched quickly.

Top Bottom