• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Played A New Game From Rare Today

Salty Hippo

4B7BNqv.png

My guess is he's still smiling because when he pressed pause today, this is what he heard:

https://soundcloud.com/superdudebros/super-dudebros-battletoads

It's not Rare anymore, regardless of what the logo says.

You can say that about any studio including retro and naughty dog. None of these studios have the same teams they did in the golden age of gaming in the 90s. Doesn't mean they can't make a comeback if they find and hold onto fresh talent and give them the support and attention they need to make great games.

from what i read on IGN there is a pledge to the Battletoads trademark from Microsoft, so there is no real surprise here ... BUT IM HAPPY AS F@#$!!!!

Xav

Last I heard of Rare was that they were working on a pirate themed Nintendoland style game that didn't use Kinect. It was in the concept stage so I have no idea if they decided to carry on with it or moved on to something else.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So we're not counting Nuts & Bolts then?

Indeed. It was a good game, but not a Banjo game. Also hoping for Banjo so much. Banjo-Threeie alone would validate my Xbox One purchase instantly.

Apparently they're at Lionhead today, playing Fable Legends. I wonder if we'll get any tweets about Lionhead's second project.

Do Lionhead actually have an active 'second project'?! They have a small team prototyping ideas, but have they actually settled on something?

Last I heard of Rare was that they were working on a pirate themed Nintendoland style game that didn't use Kinect. It was in the concept stage so I have no idea if they decided to carry on with it or moved on to something else.

Well, their last game was copying Wii Sports, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their next game was copying NintendoLand.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was a good game, but not a Banjo game

The only game I bitch about more than Resi 6 is Nuts&Bolts. What the fuck were they thinking? The game probably started out as a platformer/action adventure but when they completely changed they genre they should have taken the BK name off of it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The only game I bitch about more than Resi 6 is Nuts&Bolts. What the fuck were they thinking? The game probably started out as a platformer/action adventure but when they completely changed they genre they should have taken the BK name off of it.

I'm fine with it having that name, as long as they also made a sequel to the main series. Getting this instead of a new collectathon was devastating though.

@Xav: Where did you hear that? A Nintendoland clone and Battletoads would make me very sad :(.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm fine with it having that name, as long as they also made a sequel to the main series. Getting this instead of a new collectathon was devastating though.

Yep, that's exactly how I felt. I actually bought a 360 for the Banjo game, I'm still pissed off about it.

I hope they show some footage next month in the Game Awards thing.

They won't. Don't forget that Wii Kinect Sports only came out six months ago, so whatever they're now working on will be in very early stages of development. If it's a new side-scrolling Battletoads game we're probably a good year from release, and if it's a full 3D game of any genre we're probably more like 2+ years from release.

I wouldn't expect to hear more about Rare's next game until E3 next year, at the soonest.

Hindle

Banned
Rare and MS would be stupid not to make a Banjo Threeie or a new Perfect Dark for the X1. The sheer amount of hype, buzz, and goodwill created would be huge. Announcing either would make gamers love Xbox again.

Phil Spencer says he reads Gaf, well pay good attention to this comment mate.

Silky

Banned
Pple care about Rare + Nintendo, not Rare + gravedigger IP company.

Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the thread other than baseless shitposting??? The "comeback to nintendo, Rare" whining got old in 2008, its still old now.

Links?

They won't. Don't forget that Wii Kinect Sports only came out six months ago, so whatever they're now working on will be in very early stages of development. If it's a new side-scrolling Battletoads game we're probably a good year from release, and if it's a full 3D game of any genre we're probably more like 2+ years from release.

I wouldn't expect to hear more about Rare's next game until E3 next year, at the soonest.

Or they've had a small team working on this for some time with the bulk coming aboard after Rivals was released?

You're probably right though...

Rare and MS would be stupid not to make a Banjo Threeie or a new Perfect Dark for the X1. The sheer amount of hype, buzz, and goodwill created would be huge. Announcing either would make gamers love Xbox again.

Hear, hear!!

Silky

Banned
Probably a new IP. Probably for casuals. Probably something like Skylanders meets Minecraft or some shit.

After all the failures on og Xbox and 360 Rare has become this obsessed studio that is desperate to nail a game that will sell tens of millions of copies. It's why they deformed Banjo with Nuts & Bolts. It's why they tried to find an entirely new audience with Kinect. It's why Craig Duncan, the fucking head of studio, keeps saying shit like "WE SHOULDN'T REVIVE OLD IPS WITHOUT THE RIGHT IDEA, WE NEED TO LOOK AT WHERE THE INDUSTRY IS GOING" and all that crap.

I have absolutely zero faith that this will be a game hardcore Rare fans will be excited about.

Studio philosophy can change drastically when you're slogging in the competition. Just like Nintendo was in the 64 era w/ Playstation.

Now isn't that a familiar scenario...

But, again. Battletoads is a lock. Banjo is pretty likely.

A teaser would be nice, though.

With a full reveal next E3.

Or they've had a small team working on this for some time with the bulk coming aboard after Rivals was released?

You're probably right though...

I seem to recall reading on Eurogamer before the launch of KSR that all of the company (about 170 people as I recall?) was working on it. But I can't be arsed to search out a link and I could be mistaken.

weekev

Banned
I hope its not Battletoads, I know there is a new generation of turtles fans so it would appeal to that demographic but a new Conker or Banjo game is long overdue. Rare get a lot of criticism for not being the same as Nintendo Rare but I bet there are still some talented guys working there. It would be nice if MS gave them a chance to prove everyone wrong and pay homage to one of those games.

Chris1

According to Kampfheld a new banjo will be announced at E3, so it should make an appearance since he has been pretty spot on with his hints, but I don't know if it'll be developed by Rare or passed onto another team.

Ban Puncher

I'm more interested in other companies having a crack at Rare properties (ie Double Helix and Iron Galaxy with Killer Instinct) than Rare themselves doing anything. Almost anyone of note from back in the day has long since bailed and Rare as a developer hasn't made an above average game in nearly a decade.

Phil spencer was with them on the 5th of November, looking at his tweets unless he's going back again.

This was today:

postxqsda.png

Do Lionhead actually have an active 'second project'?! They have a small team prototyping ideas, but have they actually settled on something?

I have no idea, but I'd imagine something has crystallized over the past 5 months since we last heard of them.

Even returning to the Kameo concept would be huge.

Kameo was thoroughly enjoyable, so it would definitely be huge for me.

Give me strength.

I really hope the game they're building is for WiiU. It'll sell 3 times more there Phil.

Why are people doing this to themselves?

Top Bottom