• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls screens

Shadow780

distantmantra said:
Will the Asian/HK version really have an English option, or is it just an English instruction sheet like most Asian/HK games?

After last year's entertaining journey into the Triad blackmarket for an early copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! in China, I'm surprised no one has managed to get this yet.

I think they're releasing a Chinese version, if you can read Chinese then you're cool.

I wasn't planning on buying anything other than SF4 and Retro Game Challenge next month but the perma-death is making me feel weak. I almost hope the Asian version doesn't have any English cuz I dunno if I can hold off on importing if it does.

hteng

Banned
so what does it mean by you have to play all over when you die? or you have to die to play co-op ? huh? can anyone explain the game mechanics properly?

I don't think there's true co-op? I think it's similar to Shiren DS, where if you die an online friend can come and save you. I may be wrong, though.

WYWY

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
WYWY: Does the Dengeki preview mention anything about the language settings? Still seems like there's some confusion about what options are offered. I'll be quite surprised if the game doesn't atleast have English subtitles...
No mention at all.

Play-asia tradition for English/Chinese releases is to label them like this:

<Game Title> (English/Chinese version)

But they don't do this for demon's soul. Instead the (Eng/Chi) label is placed under 'Further Information' in the product page. I have no personal experience with this - because PA has made some mistakes before - E.g. WKS was advertised as having an Asian release for a long time. (There wasn't)

Unless someone have had a positive experience with PA under the same circumstances. Otherwise I'll advise to wait on it until someone gets their copy to verify.

WYWY said:
No mention at all.

But they don't do this for demon's soul. Instead the (Eng/Chi) label is placed under 'Further Information' in the product page. I have no personal experience with this - because PA has made some mistakes before - E.g. WKS was advertised as having an Asian release for a long time. (There wasn't)

Unless someone have had a positive experience with PA under the same circumstances. Otherwise I'll advise to wait on it until someone gets their copy to verify.

Hmm...this worries me. I've only seen games on PA that supposedly have Asian releases list Eng/Chi under further information. Could you provide a link to one that actually DOES have English and is listed as your described? I'm going to contact Play-asia. Either way, I've already paid in full (through Paypal, only way they would accept my method of payment.) So I will definitely let the board no whether or not the game is playable for English players.

I've just emailed Play-asia so I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Rummy Bunnz said:
I don't think there's true co-op? I think it's similar to Shiren DS, where if you die an online friend can come and save you. I may be wrong, though.

From what has been revealed so far, you are right. Friends can send you messages in some strange way on the field and help out.
Untitled-1-1.jpg

That image shows a friend communicating...

It seems like a lot of things we'll just have to experience to find out! The Dengeki preview itself only had some new tidbits of information...

Guymelef

WYWY said:
No mention at all.

I think they use "<Game Title> (English/Chinese version)" when the same game has a Japanese version in Asia.
Demon's Soul is Chinese/English from the start.

WYWY

hteng said:
so what does it mean by you have to play all over when you die? or you have to die to play co-op ? huh? can anyone explain the game mechanics properly?

Ah Dengeki's play report contains quite a bit of info, though many points are admittedly still vague. I might as well spoil it - it's about as spoiler-ific as telling people that in POP, Elika's father chops down the tree.

<LITE-SPOILER, so lite I won't spoiler-tag it>
You see, in the beginning, the protagonist dies.

Yup, the protagonist is one of those few brave souls to walk through a rift in the evil mist in an attempt to rid the evil. KF-like, you get absolutely no instructions when the game starts. In an interesting touch, gaming instructions are written on the ground for you to read as you progress.

Then, after wandering a bit and defeating some enemies, you run into an invincible boss, and the protagonist dies.

Then the game begins proper...

Then the protagonist finds his soul raised by a black robed women in some temple hall. I don't know how the game literature works, but you are supposed to defeat demons to gain enough soul to recover the physical body. This place also becomes the game's main hub (unless more appear later). Here you also buy equipment and talk to other souls.

So yeah, my impression is that if defeated you maybe probably return to this hub area, but progress is not lost.

There is some description of co-op play in the official site but how it works is still vague. Better to wait for more play reports.
</LITE-SPOILER>

WYWY

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Could you provide a link to one that actually DOES have English and is listed as your described?
Something like this: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-77-1-49-en-15-hakuna-70-33h6-43-bm.html

But....
Guymelef said:
I think they use "<Game Title> (English/Chinese version)" when the same game has a Japanese version in Asia.
This is correct for the example I'm quoting, because there seems to be another Asian version that is Japanese only.So maybe there's no need to be pessimistic.

I'm checking on the HK playstation site once in a while - since this is Sony-published they should have it and the supported languages listed explicitly. But it's Chinese new year week so I'm not seeing any updates.

WYWY said:
Ah Dengeki's play report contains quite a bit of info, though many points are admittedly still vague. I might as well spoil it - it's about as spoiler-ific as telling people that in POP, Elika's father chops down the tree.

<LITE-SPOILER, so lite I won't spoiler-tag it>
You see, in the beginning, the protagonist dies.

Yup, the protagonist is one of those few brave souls to walk through a rift in the evil mist in an attempt to rid the evil. KF-like, you get absolutely no instructions when the game starts. In an interesting touch, gaming instructions are written on the ground for you to read as you progress.

Then, after wandering a bit and defeating some enemies, you run into an invincible boss, and the protagonist dies.

Then the game begins proper...

Then the protagonist finds his soul raised by a black robed women in some temple hall. I don't know how the game literature works, but you are supposed to defeat demons to gain enough soul to recover the physical body. This place also becomes the game's main hub (unless more appear later). Here you also buy equipment and talk to other souls.

So yeah, my impression is that if defeated you maybe probably return to this hub area, but progress is not lost.

There is some description of co-op play in the official site but how it works is still vague. Better to wait for more play reports.
</LITE-SPOILER>

Great bits of info. That explains the scene in the trailer towards the beginning. Atmosphere is going to be one of the strong points in this game.

You did mention the game isn't plot-heavy? It probably doesn't say but perhaps what is meant is that not much is revealed towards the beginning but as you progress things become more clear (in correlation with your goal to retrieve your physical body". Just speculating, however, this seems like a game with a lot of details.

Guymelef said:
The build in the past Asia Games Show was in english, don't worry people.

Your confirmation is refreshing, I trust your judgement! If they're going to list this with an English option, I seem to think it would be useless if it's only a small tidbit.

birdchili

No BGM. It's just creepy ambient sound. Dark is creepy. Silence is creepy.
It's hard. It's a 'gaming by death' product.
Don't go where you can't see properly.
Listen for enemy footsteps.
Don't button mash. Wait for an opening to attack.
sounds like a spiritual sequel to king's field:)

so very pleased that sony (more than) greenlit this. these guys deserve to continue developing this "genre". there's no way this would have even been made if sony hadn't stepped in.

you're starting to convince me, sony...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I didn't mean anything by it! I'm sure there are others on here excited for the game, and I'm glad to see that. If I was the only one I'd be questioning my sanity...I'm by no means trying to be the authority or the "#1 Fan"!

EDIT: Alright I think you took me a little too seriously man...

actually I didn't take you seriously at all and I was only teasing :lol

John Harker said:
actually I didn't take you seriously at all and I was only teasing :lol

Cheers! I seriously thought I offended you which wasn't my intention at all. Thanks for not taking me seriously :lol

New release date for the Asian import? I was really looking forward to playing this before SO4, Killzone 2, Street Fighter IV, and all the other shit coming out thereafter.

edit - fuck, beaten by GAF again!

Top Bottom