• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls screens

Kagari said:
4948872730228.jpg

OH Hell yes.
I think this might be the first game I import in about 4 years.

Compass

Banned
When I was playing Enchanted Arms, I swore I'd murder a dozen innocent children for a King's Field or Shadow Tower game in the same engine.

Seems I have some work to do tonight.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Cover's nice and the graphics look pretty good, but I'm never playing this game.

Trailer scared the hell out of me.

Especially the part where the body falls out of the iron maiden. Whew, can't wait for this one. A matter of weeks now...Import FTW -- and yes the Asian version has English (someone asked a few posts up so just clarifying for visitors of the thread)

TChirath

Neo Member
Hmm the asia version (with English texs) is coming out on Feb 5th. Anyone getting this game? I'm in dire need of a new game before SO4 and Kill Zone come out :D

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Error said:
Demon's Soul Famitsu review 7,9,6,7

awesome scores!

(not kidding.)
Glad to see it's hitting the previous iterations level, which means its awesome!!
When's that N.A. release?!

This game looks really cool, and I REALLY want it to be good, but these scores aren't really helping to wash away the bad taste of the TGS demo.

Hopefully Dengeki's scores are closer on the mark than Famitsu's.

WYWY

Error said:
Demon's Soul Famitsu review 7,9,6,7
Reviewer 1: There are multiple classes, weapons, equipment and stuff that any retard who has browsed the game's official site already knows 3 months ago - 7.
Reviewer 2: I'm a fan of King's Field - 9.
Reviewer 3: You run around some castle killing demons and stuff - 6.
Reviewer 4: I didn't play the game, so here's a politically and safe number for the suckers who believe in our reviews - 7.

WYWY

makingmusic476 said:
This game looks really cool, and I REALLY want it to be good, but these scores aren't really helping to wash away the bad taste of the TGS demo.

Hopefully Dengeki's scores are closer on the mark than Famitsu's.
I believe there are other posts in another thread explaining how this, like it's spiritual predecessor King's Field, is not for everyone.

One of those "if you don't like it, don't force yourself", "if you like it, enjoy yourself" games.

Definitely not created for the masses.

taku

Shadow780 said:
Saw the translation, if you die you have to start from the beginning, sounds very hardcore...
Holy bananas! Playing a game hardcore certainly changes every aspect of how you play it. I am definitely intrigued by this!

biocat

Famitsu's reviewers are famous for rating something low if it's hard, part of the game isn't explained well, or a casual gamer might not like it.

Serious.

I trust Dengeki much more.

Paracelsus

"From the beginning"? As in the old school "GAME OVER", with no saves and stuff, or you reappear in the place in which you have started the game, even if you were miles away from there, keeping equip, level, stats and so on? ._.

Reviews go hand in hand with the reception of the King's Field series. Hardcore RPG, not for everyone, intense etc etc.

Personally I trust Dengeki more as well, they also have a decent preview up:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/134/134468/

In Japanese, but Google Translate/BabelFish should do the trick for non-native speakers.

Still excited for this and the scores aren't bad enough to make me worry. I've been waiting too long for an RPG with a dark side! And a spiritual successor to King's Field!? Count me in!

Plus my order is already paid for :p

EDIT: Also, I'm considering doing the official thread (if I get enough information) as I don't think anyone will be doing it. Anyone willing that can do some proper translation on that article I posted I'd appreciate it. Just info you think would be good for the thread. I'm not fluent in Japanese and most, if not all the info on the net is in Japanese.

WYWY said:
I believe there are other posts in another thread explaining how this, like it's spiritual predecessor King's Field, is not for everyone.

One of those "if you don't like it, don't force yourself", "if you like it, enjoy yourself" games.

Definitely not created for the masses.
So basically, it's:

1. Buy it, realize you hate it, and beat yourself up for wasting $60.

2. Rent it, realize you love it, and realize it's too late to find a copy to buy, since it's so damn niche.

Rolf NB

makingmusic476 said:
So basically, it's:

2. Rent it, realize you love it, and realize it's too late to find a copy to buy, since it's so damn niche.
Can't you just sell it or trade it in if you find out it's not for you?

makingmusic476 said:
So basically, it's:

The point is, is that if you enjoyed King's Field, you will most likely enjoy this one. No one can guarantee it. That's a gamble one has to take I suppose. And this isn't available as a rental. It's only an import as of right now.

If I do hate it, and it sucks hard (doubtful IMO) then I will definitely kick myself for spending the money, but I'm willing to take that chance because I love King's Field and really get a good vibe from the footage I've seen.

I've never played King's Field. I'm definitely going to take the plunge on this one, though, because it looks awesome.

And my previous post was supposed to be sort of a joke. I suppose I should put the laughing smiley at the end. :lol

Raistlin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If I do hate it, and it sucks hard (doubtful IMO) then I will definitely kick myself for spending the money, but I'm willing to take that chance because I love King's Field and really get a good vibe from the footage I've seen.

I'd suspect you'd get a decent price on ebay. Plenty of people hate importing.

Paracelsus

Onix said:
I'd suspect you'd get a decent price on ebay. Plenty of people hate importing.

47-48 euro (around 64-65 usd) on yesasia. For the Europeans it's a decent deal. I'm just waiting for the yesasia staff to confirm me it has English subtitles before placing the order.

WYWY said:
Reviewer 1: There are multiple classes, weapons, equipment and stuff that any retard who has browsed the game's official site already knows 3 months ago - 7.
Reviewer 2: I'm a fan of King's Field - 9.
Reviewer 3: You run around some castle killing demons and stuff - 6.
Reviewer 4: I didn't play the game, so here's a politically and safe number for the suckers who believe in our reviews - 7.

FU$% YES! Day one baby!

KTallguy

Banned
There ARE ways to resurrect yourself, but it's very difficult.
I can understand why it's love it or hate it, but it's a VERY hardcore game.

makingmusic476 said:
I've never played King's Field. I'm definitely going to take the plunge on this one, though, because it looks awesome.

And my previous post was supposed to be sort of a joke. I suppose I should put the laughing smiley at the end. :lol

Haha the universal indication of a joke, the smiley! I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I know what you're saying...it's definitely something to think about. kings-field.com has some good info if you are interested in reading about the KF series. Also, plenty of playthroughs on Youtube and Google Vid. The games (for PSX) are extremely outdated in terms of graphics... The history is very cool though so check that site out.

IF I do happen to hate this so much I want to get rid of it, I will definitely use eBay..Honestly didn't think of that. I'd take the hit and give it to someone for a fair price on here as well, if I hate it ;)

BruceLeeRoy said:
FU$% YES! Day one baby!

Haha it seems like you and me, and maybe one more (Kagari where are you?) are the only ones super stoked for this one!

Paracelsus said:
47-48 euro (around 64-65 usd) on yesasia. For the Europeans it's a decent deal. I'm just waiting for the yesasia staff to confirm me it has English subtitles before placing the order.

Now don't quote me on this but from what I've gathered is there will be English subtitles as well as menus in English. Don't know about English VO--I doubt it. Does YesAsia not indicate that it's got English on the disc?

Paracelsus

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Now don't quote me on this but from what I've gathered is there will be English subtitles as well as menus in English. Don't know about English VO--I doubt it. Does YesAsia not indicate that it's got English on the disc?

Play-Asia does, but yesasia does not.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
How import friendly is this game? Or should I wait for the hope that it might be brought to the states?

Paracelsus said:
Play-Asia does, but yesasia does not.

Ahh, that's weird. It's gotta be the same version though, so don't worry about it.

Elbrain said:
How import friendly is this game? Or should I wait for the hope that it might be brought to the states?

The ASIAN version has English. But there's no official confirmation on the extent. It's probably got English subtitles/menu text. That's the only realistic possibility?

Jonsoncao said:
well, The Last Remnant is a damn hardcore RPG and FAMI gave it a 38
WTF? :lol

famous japanese publications are no less likely to get reacharounds and money under the table as a lot of american mags/sites.

i ignore most famitsu scores due to how polarized they seem to be from what i consider to be good and bad in the first place.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Haha the universal indication of a joke, the smiley! I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I know what you're saying...it's definitely something to think about. kings-field.com has some good info if you are interested in reading about the KF series. Also, plenty of playthroughs on Youtube and Google Vid. The games (for PSX) are extremely outdated in terms of graphics... The history is very cool though so check that site out.

IF I do happen to hate this so much I want to get rid of it, I will definitely use eBay..Honestly didn't think of that. I'd take the hit and give it to someone for a fair price on here as well, if I hate it ;)
Even if I loathe the game, I'll probably keep it. I've only sold one game in my life. It's a waste of space and money, but I like boasting about my collection. :lol

WYWY

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Personally I trust Dengeki more as well, they also have a decent preview up:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/134/134468/
A bit of good news - that preview confirms the existence of 'lock-on'.

As for Dengeki - they have a tendency to 'review a game in context of what it is'. Hypothetically that means the 'best mahjong game ever' can score 80s and 90s. Review from POV of a KF sucessor? - Very likely. POV of the masses? - Not likely.

They are also subjected to politics, so they sneakily include a second alphabet-based review section - which tells the TRUTH. But most people miss it. How does it work? E.g: I've seen a 80s/90s game get a 'D' in this second section.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Haha it seems like you and me, and maybe one more (Kagari where are you?) are the only ones super stoked for this one!

I haven't been this insulted here since someone else claimed to be the board's biggest No More Heroes pusher

edit:

Plus,

Thread Post Count

Kagari 32
John Harker 24
nelsonroyale 21
Onix 20
DMPrince 16
makingmusic476 14
Elbrain 11
BlazingDarkness 11
RpgN 11
WYWY 11
Callibretto 10
BruceLeeRoy 10

AND I started like, I don't know, 2 official King's Fields threads in the past 4 years

makingmusic476 said:
Even if I loathe the game, I'll probably keep it. I've only sold one game in my life. It's a waste of space and money, but I like boasting about my collection. :lol
Nothing wrong with that. I've noticed in the past that I get urges to play games that I didn't like at first. Happened to me too many times. So holding on to the game is most likely what I'll do as well. It's not like you can go out and buy it and play it in one trip to Gamestop.

Not much longer....

John Harker said:
I haven't been this insulted here since someone else claimed to be the board's biggest No More Heroes pusher

I didn't mean anything by it! I'm sure there are others on here excited for the game, and I'm glad to see that. If I was the only one I'd be questioning my sanity...I'm by no means trying to be the authority or the "#1 Fan"!

EDIT: Alright I think you took me a little too seriously man...

WYWY

Dengeki play report ... http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/135/135980/

Some lite spoiler there about what happens in the beginning. But it's not a plot heavy game anyway.

A bit of new stuff:
No BGM. It's just creepy ambient sound. Dark is creepy. Silence is creepy.
Shoulder buttons for combat - departure from the usual face buttons.

And it's difficult. It's tough. Die. And die. Then die again. And then die some more.
何度も何度も、何度も死んでしまいました。僕わかりましたよ。このゲームは“本気”で遊ばないと死にます。ヌルいゲームに慣れてる僕みたいな軟弱者は、すぐ死ぬ。死にまくり。

It's hard. It's a 'gaming by death' product.

Some hints:
All items are retained after death, so don't feel compelled to burn through everything when faced with certain death.
Don't go where you can't see properly.
Listen for enemy footsteps.
Don't button mash. Wait for an opening to attack.

Plus other stuff....

Unfortunately I've decided to lay off the hard games. Pity. I'll wait for impressions here and videos from nicovideo.

WYWY said:
Dengeki play report ... http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/135/135980/

Some lite spoiler there about what happens in the beginning. But it's not a plot heavy game anyway.

A bit of new stuff:
No BGM. It's just creepy ambient sound. Dark is creepy. Silence is creepy.
Shoulder buttons for combat - departure from the usual face buttons.

And it's difficult. It's tough. Die. And die. Then die again. And then die some more.

It's hard. It's a 'gaming by death' product.

Some hints:
All items are retained after death, so don't feel compelled to burn through everything when faced with certain death.
Don't go where you can't see properly.
Listen for enemy footsteps.
Don't button mash. Wait for an opening to attack.

Plus other stuff....

Unfortunately I've decided to lay off the hard games. Pity. I'll wait for impressions here and videos from nicovideo.

Thanks for some of these impressions. No BGM sounds awesome -- ambient noise -- reminds me of SOTC when traversing the world... So there are in fact traps to avoid? This is a bunch of new info, which sounds great to me...I wonder if the difficulty is concurrent with being more aware of your surroundings, or if it's just cranked up AI and field encounters.

Overall the game sounds like a completely different direction from current RPGs, something I'm really looking forward to.

Will the Asian/HK version really have an English option, or is it just an English instruction sheet like most Asian/HK games?

After last year's entertaining journey into the Triad blackmarket for an early copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! in China, I'm surprised no one has managed to get this yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I'll likely be importing this. Still working on WKC though so it might be a bit... also, Ryu ga Gotoku 3 in the same month D: ...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sounds like it's up my alley, but i don't see myself playing anything besides street fighter for quite a while

Kagari said:
I'll likely be importing this. Still working on WKC though so it might be a bit... also, Ryu ga Gotoku 3 in the same month D: ...

Wish I could pick up RGG3, would make no sense to though. I've been trying my best to get through my backlog and have been making good time. I'd like to start this on arrival.

WYWY: Does the Dengeki preview mention anything about the language settings? Still seems like there's some confusion about what options are offered. I'll be quite surprised if the game doesn't atleast have English subtitles...

Top Bottom