• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Yeah, but on one hand I do like for FF games to have their own feel, and at least XIII had amazingly fun combat. And we got three of those. Lightning Returns was probably the most fun I've actually had playing an RPG. It's by no means my favorite RPG ever, but it was a blast to play. It's cool to see FFXV borrowing some from XII but also implementing a more action-driven style. Hopefully they make that feel unique to FFXV.
Yes. My only concern is that they won't try to have a more difficult main game again. But I agree, not using the FFXIII battle system again is a great choice, specially since XV seems to be great too.

And I absolutely want this game to be its own thing. Which is why I disagree with the "it should be more like KH" or "it should be more like Bayonetta" crowd. No, it shouldn't. I love those games (KH even more than FF), but no, FFXV should be its own thing, and it seems to be doing it great so far...

Isnt there a escape button for every random battle in FF? Could be wrong.
FF Type-0 you couldn't run from encounters on the world map (unless you used an expensive item).

dramatis

Yep, especially on the stagger system. Completely destroyed the pace of battles with even the simplest enemies and really didn't add much in the way of tactical depth beyond prolonging fights. I'm actually really excited that XV's combat is seamless and ends as quickly as you can dispatch a foe.
From the looks of things dispatching a foe takes quite a while.

colorful particles everywhere

B-TSnHvCQAAo4VD.jpg

So pretty!!

Philippo

Finally got time to sit down and watch the whole thing.

-Somnus is back, and as a glorious main menu theme!
-Holy fucks two battle themes!
-Graphics are outstanding
-Couldn't care less if it's not yet 1080p/30fps, they still have a lot of time for polishing
-Animations really are some next-level shit overall, can't believe the system is handling all of them for four characters plus a lot of enemies, this is the answer to "what can next-gen do that previous don't"
-Dem particle effects!
-Combat is exactly as exciting as i expected but seems really chaotic until you get to physically test it
-I too think there are too many slowdowns to highlight critical attacks
-Still a lot to figure out about the battle system: difference between one-weapon and multi-weapon-switching combos; how does modifying the order of your equipped weapons change your attacks; what are "ability points" that pops up in the skills UI
-Disappointed they didn't talked about AI and "gambits", i guess that element won't be for the player to play with in the demo
-They clearly nerfed and buffed some elements for the demo, i think it's too early to worr about these things
-Not totally sure about some commands choices (L3 for dash and O for warp mostly)
-UI looks really slick...
-...But sometimes seems overly informative, like too many flashy damage numbers or excessive quest updates
-Another example is co-op attacks, they are kinda ruined by button prompts and parry slowdowns
-Are avaible isn't super huge, but its still largely enough to play around, and they haven't shown caves, hidden places or other events
-Behemoth's hunt is super cool! But i can't believe that, if there's a full hunting system, each of them would be so detailed
-Camping looks fun, and Fanfare was totally unexpected

All in all i'm super impressed, thankfully not spoiled on anything and now i'm totally convinced on playing the demo.

Final thing, people seems too worried about that 60% thing, like the game's set for a 2017 release. They should think that the last 20% is probably just polishing, beta and then gold, so they're actually at a nice spot. And they have more than a year from the expected release window (2nd half of 2016).

From the looks of things dispatching a foe takes quite a while.

Oh? It all seemed relatively quick to me. The wolf things go down in a few strikes, the garulas are meatier as might be expected from looking at them, and nighttime monsters like the goblins are difficult tough customers. Add on to that that Jump and other special abilities seem to do buckets of damage and I'm content with what I see.

Yes. My only concern is that they won't try to have a more difficult main game again. But I agree, not using the FFXIII battle system again is a great choice, specially since XV seems to be great too.

I think difficulty can be really subjective. I think all of the Final Fantasy games are easy enough to get through, it's only really when you start pilfering through the optional stuff that you actually start running into trouble. Most final bosses in RPG's are a pushover, for example, but optional bosses can require the player to go through a number of trials to get better equipment and higher levels. Final Fantasy XII is pretty easy to finish, but as soon as you start dipping your feet in its optional content it's like a whole new world.

Judging FFXV's difficulty right now, especially based on a demo, is pretty pointless. And most of the game may be pretty easy. But that would be nothing new, and we can hope that there's a lot of optional and super challenging stuff away from the main story like in other installments. It's really not the only game series like this though. Super Mario 3D World for example is pretty much cake until you get to the very end, and once you start unlocking the post-game levels it goes from a walk in the park to hellish masochism.

Wouldn't it be cool if every single enemy had like a super version of it? By that I don't mean just a simple color pallate switch. For Example the one-eyed behemoth, it could keep hunting quests/rare armor/weapons refreshing like go find the mystical purple on fire goblin.

wmlk

Wouldn't it be cool if every single enemy had like a super version of it? By that I don't mean just a simple color pallate switch. For Example the one-eyed behemoth, it could keep hunting quests/rare armor/weapons refreshing like go find the mystical purple on fire goblin.

We already saw a stronger version of the Garula.

Ruff

I'm feel a little concerned about the multi-enemy conflicts. Everyone is all over the place with a low FoV perspective I feel like I'll always be looking around for something about to hit me from my blind spots.

daveo42

Banned
Looks good so far, but the combat looks a bit more chaotic than I like or am use to. Does actual targeting of enemies allow for focus fire or is there an option for that in the settings? While the AI itself looks like it can handle itself, having more combat control is something I'm hoping for as well.

I think difficulty can be really subjective. I think all of the Final Fantasy games are easy enough to get through, it's only really when you start pilfering through the optional stuff that you actually start running into trouble. Most final bosses in RPG's are a pushover, for example, but optional bosses can require the player to go through a number of trials to get better equipment and higher levels. Final Fantasy XII is pretty easy to finish, but as soon as you start dipping your feet in its optional content it's like a whole new world.

Judging FFXV's difficulty right now, especially based on a demo, is pretty pointless. And most of the game may be pretty easy. But that would be nothing new, and we can hope that there's a lot of optional and super challenging stuff away from the main story like in other installments. It's really not the only game series like this though. Super Mario 3D World for example is pretty much cake until you get to the very end, and once you start unlocking the post-game levels it goes from a walk in the park to hellish masochism.
Yeah, but I don't really gauge the difficulty of a game based on side bosses... If that was the case then Super Mario RPG would be a decently challenging game =P

Expect easy main game and challenging side bosses, is what I've come to expect from FF. And if it's like that in FFXV, great.

Well, they did show a "queen" for the Garulas. Other monsters will probably have that too (probably not all of them though).

And the queen had a different model, yeah. Bigger horns and a different color (and I think it was bigger too).

The End

So, let's review:

1) only the first printing of FFT-0 is coming with the XV demo
2) It comes out a week before Bloodborne, which means I'd play the demo (roughly 3 hours, apparently) and then put the game in the drawer for a month
3) FFT-0 looks pretty good for what it is, but i have no doubt they'll drop the price to $40 in the second printing, as soon as they stop including the demo
4) FF XV is 60% done, so no way it comes out this year

What do, GAF?

Labadal

Still a bit disappointed that the combat isn't action based and no character switching but I hope the demo will sell me on the game.

pszet0

Banned
Complaining about the character designs was funny back in 2013 but now it's just getting old. It's Final Fantasy. Deal with it or go play something like watch dogs for generic white guy #13244259. And honestly, they aren't even that outrageous aside from Ignis fighting monsters in a tailor fitted suit lol. The other 3 look pretty tame especially compared to what we've seen in the past.

Einhandr

So, let's review:

2) It comes out a week before Bloodborne, which means I'd play the demo (roughly 3 hours, apparently) and then put the game in the drawer for a month
3) FFT-0 looks pretty good for what it is, but i have no doubt they'll drop the price to $40 in the second printing, as soon as they stop including the demo

What do, GAF?

Buy a demo code off of eBay for $20?

So, let's review:

1) FF XV is 60% done, so no way it comes out this year

What do, GAF?
It was never coming out this year, you could always trade type-0 the same day and buy bloodborne on the cheap.

FFXV demo codes on ebay are going to go for 100 plus book it.

KoopaTheCasual

Looks good so far, but the combat looks a bit more chaotic than I like or am use to. Does actual targeting of enemies allow for focus fire or is there an option for that in the settings? While the AI itself looks like it can handle itself, having more combat control is something I'm hoping for as well.
This information came out from a scan about the engine and AI, a couple of days ago. Seems like there's going to be a good deal of party AI customization. Sounds pretty in depth, so I doubt it's gonna be fully fleshed out in the demo =/

So, let's review:

What do, GAF?
Bloodborne is one week after? (I thought it was earlier).

One week is enough to play the demo, then play Bloodborne and Type-0 together, unless you don't care for Type-0...

Still a bit disappointed that the combat isn't action based and no character switching but I hope the demo will sell me on the game.
Yeah, I can't believe this is a turn based game either...

smh.

Complaining about the character designs was funny back in 2013 but now it's just getting old. It's Final Fantasy. Deal with it or go play something like watch dogs for generic white guy #13244259. And honestly, they aren't even that outrageous aside from Ignis fighting monsters in a tailor fitted suit lol. The other 3 look pretty tame especially compared to what we've seen in the past.

The problem that some have, myself included, is that they do look generic. They lack the visual variety and "color" of most FF casts.

Philippo

ix3eaKsHVFcSQ.gif

realtime title screen with day/night cycle + classic FF hand icon + clean font + somnus playing on the background

I almost teared up, didn't do it because Tabata wouldn't shut up.
It would be glorious if in the full game they have a differend background for every zone the player's in: Royal Palace for Insomnia; Plains for Duscae etc.

So, let's review:

What do, GAF?

Buy T0 on day one, play the shit out of the demo for a few days until you get bored of it, then buy Bloodborne, finish it and move to Type 0. Then wait for the full game in late 2016.
Problem solved!

Labadal

Bloodborne is one week after? (I thought it was earlier).

One week is enough to play the demo, then play Bloodborne and Type-0 together, unless you don't care for Type-0...

Yeah, I can't believe this is a turn based game either...

smh.

I don't know if this is a joke post or not. While the combat is actiony, it isn't really how I expected it to be. I'm still not judging. I need to play it and then I will judge.

The problem that some have, myself included, is that they do look generic. They lack the visual variety and "color" of most FF casts.

You can attribute that with the "Fantasy Based on Reality tagline and it's their vision so let's give em a break on that end.

Maybe dlc costumes will cure that for some or maybe town shops have costumes!

Dress Ignis as a Mage! for 0.99!

But I understand how you feel though, I love the look but old school fans might be put off without a doubt.

daveo42

Banned
This information came out from a scan about the engine and AI, a couple of days ago. Seems like there's going to be a good deal of party AI customization. Sounds pretty in depth, so I doubt it's gonna be fully fleshed out in the demo =/

Most of that is good news to me. I'd love to see more of that in action as well to see how well it works out in combat. Gambits worked well for pretty much everything in FFXII, so an improvement on that system and what you can do with it sounds great. I just hope it is implemented well.

The End

FFXV demo codes on ebay are going to go for 100 plus book it.

Yep. We're going to see tons of shady PSN account sellers too.

I'll probably just buy both, but I'm not thrilled about it. Would rather Square just be honest and sell the demo for $20 like Konami did with Ground Zeroes.

Bousf

There is definitely too much black going on in the main party. They should create attire changes justified by the story (like a big fire gameplay set piece after which the party's clothes are damaged and they need new ones). The FF series has always had amazing and charismatic designs and while I can draw a line between each character (they are somewhat well defined), the look on them is generic, it sucks but it is. We can only hope for them to NOT do the DLC costume thing Bandai Namco style.

pszet0

Banned

The difference is these 4 characters are all child hood friends and are in some way affiliated with the same royal family etc. So it makes sense for them to be wearing the same color scheme especially since them wearing black is part of the plot. Added with the fact that this is a fantasy based on reality it doesn't make sense for them to have a character like kimahri in the party.

pszet0

Banned
There is definitely too much black going on in the main party. They should create attire changes justified by the story (like a big fire gameplay set piece after which the party's clothes are damaged and they need new ones). The FF series has always had amazing and charismatic designs and while I can draw a line between each character (they are somewhat well defined), the look on them is generic, it sucks but it is. We can only hope for them to NOT do the DLC costume thing Bandai Namco style.

I personally love that they all wear black. Them all wearing black is part of the overall plot and it gives me a yakuza/mafia feeling.

I don't know if this is a joke post or not. While the combat is actiony, it isn't really how I expected it to be. I'm still not judging. I need to play it and then I will judge.

I said that because I thought yours was a joke post lol.

Also, I don't think this is very subjective, looking at the video there's no other classification for this other than "Action". Not being "how you expected" doesn't make it any less Action-oriented.

Unless this is actually a card game like KH Chain of Memories and we are not seeing the deck =P

NAPK1NS

It looks okay?

In the absurdly named city "Insomnia," those characters blend right in. In a natural setting they look downright stupid.

The strafing animations around the enemies also looks really weird. And the way the party members flail around everywhere is absurd looking.

Ugh, I'm being such a Debbie. W/e, not very impressed but there's a ton left to see.

dramatis

Oh? It all seemed relatively quick to me. The wolf things go down in a few strikes, the garulas are meatier as might be expected from looking at them, and nighttime monsters like the goblins are difficult tough customers. Add on to that that Jump and other special abilities seem to do buckets of damage and I'm content with what I see.
Perhaps it's because they were monkeying around for the demonstration, but taking 30+ seconds to take out like 2 enemies is pretty slow.

It looks okay?

In the absurdly named city "Insomnia," those characters blend right in. In a natural setting they look downright stupid.

The strafing animations around the enemies also looks really weird. And the way the party members flail around everywhere is absurd looking.

Ugh, I'm being such a Debbie. W/e, not very impressed but there's a ton left to see.

Opinions bruh don't be so hard on yourself, everyone got different taste and it should be respected. Nothing wrong with that =]

Top Bottom