• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |Import OT| - Warriors worth a thousand slimes

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why but I didn't really notice frame drops for some reason...but I think I am not really sensitive at frame rate drops.

I agree with AF.. AA and AF are major complaints about the visuals for me. I think it still looks quite good in motion though.

I'm pretty sensitive about frame rates. It definitely looked like it was in the low 30s in a few parts in the throne room and outside court yard.

The game does look good in the moment, though. The character models are great, and so are the various effects. Definitely a lot of fun to hack and slash through large groups of enemies. It's probably a psychological thing, but the damage numbers popping up makes it feel even more immediate than the typical Musou games.

Shouta

The game gets less musou the further you go in aside from the surface level "defeat lots of enemies on your way to a goal" My only complaint so far would be a bit more mission variety but the layouts, timings, and enemy composition has helped keep it fresh.

There are definitely some graphics issues though. The one that bothers me the most is the Base being a slightly different framerate than the fields and it slowing down a bit when it shows the gear change after you buy and equip it.

Kyoufu

So the cool thing is not all monster coins do the same thing. A Golem will stay out and attack enemies until it dies, but something like a Baby Satan will unleash a fire spell attack before disappearing. Others can heal, replenish MP or debuff enemies depending on the monster.

raven777

So the cool thing is not all monster coins do the same thing. A Golem will stay out and attack enemies until it dies, but something like a Baby Satan will unleash a fire spell attack before disappearing. Others can heal, replenish MP or debuff enemies depending on the monster.

Yea they have 2 categories: Defense and Assist.

Defense monsters were really helpful when I was doing protecting missions. Assists are helpful in boss battles and etc.

The monster coin system seems better than what I initially expected.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I don't this game is what I thought it was it is definitely not a traditional Dragon Quest. It looks like a Dynasty warriors style game :(

It's Dragon Quest Musou in all but name.

It does some cool stuff that you don't find in other Musou games, though.

They totally missed their chance to call this Dragon Warrior Quest in the West.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Hmm I don't think this game is what I thought it was it is definitely not a traditional Dragon Quest. It looks like a Dynasty warriors style game :(

I'm not sure if you're trolling. But this is developed by Omega Force.... they are the guys who make Dynasty Warriors.

This is an action RPG/Musou version of Dragon Quest.

Nibiru

Banned
I'm not sure if you're trolling. But this is developed by Omega Force.... they are the guys who make Dynasty Warriors.

This is an action RPG/Musou version of Dragon Quest.

Wasn't trolling. Hadn't researched the game I just love Dragon Quest watched the ustream and was disappointed.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
someone in 2ch finished the game in 20 hours. They seem to have New Game + thing where it is more challenging I think?
I wonder if it's true, since we're talking about an anonymous message board.
I wouldn't be too surprised though, since Famitsu game clear times are usually much longer than the actual amount of hours required to beat the game.

raven777

I wonder if it's true, since we're talking about an anonymous message board.
I wouldn't be too surprised though, since Famitsu game clear times are usually much longer than the actual amount of hours required to beat the game.

Yea the person has photo of his clear time though...

54EE060D3522730002

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never played a Musou game but want to give it a shot at some point.

Would you recommend Zelda Warriors or waiting for DQ Heroes? I'm in no rush to play...just wondering which is the more worthwhile experience. I'm setting aside Dynasty Warrior titles since the Zelda and DQ IPs are more interesting to me, and they seem somewhat more accessible.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yea the person has photo of his clear time though...

54EE060D3522730002
Oh, okay. Well then, if NG+ doesn't significantly mix things up, I guess it'll be another weekend game for me. :p

Edit:
Now that I think about it, Hyrule Warriors was 12 hours long, so it's still pretty good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Apparently the reviewer who gave the 7 is Bunbunmaru (ブンブン丸). He recently reviewed Samurai Warriors 4-II and gave it a 9.

Got the famitsu issue here on my desk and the quick and dirty of what he said is

Movie, modelling, etc visuals wise it is quite high level. The inclusion of popular characters over the series history helps to raise ones tension. Collecting monster coins while fun and the combat is pretty enjoyable, battles overall feel a little "flat". Felt that there were not enough stage gimmicks. Also friendly AI needs a little work. While there is resource collection with the title, it feels that it is not really necessary for the playing the game at all.

Truthfully with what the guy says here does not really seem like it warrants a 7 as those are quite minor things. Then again no one takes famitsu seriously anyways so doubt it really will matter much lol.

raven777

So far I think they did pretty good job with difficulty balance imo. Normal battle were not as easy as I expected, tower defense was kinda hard in certain occasions, and boss battle were somewhat challenging. I didn't get gameover yet but my character died few times.

Aeana

Stage gimmicks were something I was concerned about since I tend to dislike them. Glad to hear they aren't as common as I thought.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wasn't trolling. Hadn't researched the game I just love Dragon Quest watched the ustream and was disappointed.

Fair enough.

A lot of people had the same reaction with Hyrule Warriors but after playing the game they thought it was great. It's one of the best selling "Musou" game of all time in the west and is still selling quite a lot today due to the great reviews and feedback.

I'd certainly check out this game a bit more when it launches overseas. You may be surprised and like it. It's not a traditional musou game either and there are a number of other elements which make it unique.

Elios83

Does the game have a decent plot? Not that DQ is known for great stories but at least something that justifies the events making the player interested in knowing what's hapenning next?

Parakeetman

Stage gimmicks were something I was concerned about since I tend to dislike them. Glad to hear they aren't as common as I thought.

I dont mind when they are there, but when its something thats like 100% necessary to kill a boss is when it gets irritating. D:

ZhugeEX

Banned
I've never played a Musou game but want to give it a shot at some point.

Would you recommend Zelda Warriors or waiting for DQ Heroes? I'm in no rush to play...just wondering which is the more worthwhile experience. I'm setting aside Dynasty Warrior titles since the Zelda and DQ IPs are more interesting to me, and they seem somewhat more accessible.

If you're a Zelda fan then certainly play Zelda Musou.

mao2

The quick and dirty of what he said is

Truthfully with what the guy says here does not really seem like it warrants a 7 as those are quite minor things. Then again no one takes famitsu seriously anyways so doubt it really will matter much lol.
Thanks for the translation. Perhaps he expected more from a Dragon Quest game...

Shouta

I dont mind when they are there, but when its something thats like 100% necessary to kill a boss is when it gets irritating. D:

It's only really for the boss fights and the only that seems to absolutely be required is the Gigantes battle. The other ones I've run into aren't as necessary but help a lot.

Parakeetman

It's only really for the boss fights and the only that seems to absolutely be required is the Gigantes battle. The other ones I've run into aren't as necessary but help a lot.

Yeah things like the gigas fight I can most def see using it helps knock off a good amount of HP considering in all the vids that have shown the fight gave a pretty good example of how INSANELY high the HP / DEF of the thing was.

But I meant like in Orochi for example there was a section where you had to use the weapon to end a battle with the monster on the map lol. Stuff like that isnt as fun. But as something that can assist the player with a hard fight am cool with. Similar to the kind of things they left around in Monster Hunter.

Parakeetman

Shouldn't the thread title indicate this is the import/Japanese thread?

Im doing the US release also anyways, so its not like it really matters. Anyone who knows about this game knows that it is the JP release.

You literally are the only person who has ever cared about that being missing from the title. As pretty much all the other OTs I have do not include import / JP version. As it should be common sense for people.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst - [OT] "What big teeth you've got!"
Phantasy Star Nova |OT| - Emergency Code: Import!
Stranger of Sword City |OT| - PS Vita - "Death never comes at the right time."
Gundam Breaker 2 - |OT| - JIGEN HAOH RYU GUNDAM BREAKER 2!
Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?
Dungeon Travelers 2 |OT| - We don't need no White Knights!
Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss - |OT| The abyss will gaze back into you.
God Eater 2 |OT| Feed me Seymour!
Labyrinth Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate - |OT| Once more into the Abyss, dear friends
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online (while its in English OT now, originally it was an import one.

Thanks regardless to Shouta for changing it.

If this game is analysed as an Action-RPG versus Hyrule Warriors (with all nostalgia value removed from the equation, eg as if HW was played by someone who never played a zelda)
how does it compare?

Personally I dont really care too much about the regular DW / SW games but am interested in both this game and HW.

Parakeetman

They're better!
I can help though if you want... although I don't actually know what spells are IN DQH, but the basics:

EDIT: Actually, I'll remove mine and just link this page: http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Spell_List

Good stuff there, will add this to the OT. :)
added to the resources section also you to the credits for providing that link.

---

For those who are getting / have the PS4 version & cant read Japanese. General controls from the JP manual done up in English.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've played a good bit more, I can say that I'm really having a blast with this game.

It's got a really good gameplay loop to it. The stages are a little on the short side for a Musou game, but that's probably a good thing. It definitely has that "just one more stage" thing going for it that I never get from the typical Sangoku/Sengoku games.

Does anyone know if you need to pick up the materials that drop from enemies? When you complete a stage, you often get some materials without picking anything up, so I'm assuming those are from the bags you didn't get, but I can't be sure. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any drops.

Kyoufu

Just unlocked Jessica & Yangus!

They're both very fun to use. Jessica can heal the party with Hustle Dance and Yangus can deal some serious damage with his axe.

Terry can also deal double damage by summoning a clone which copies every attack input, so expect big burst damage this way.

Shouta

I got Jessica last night and she does some serious AOE damage with her whip skills, it's pretty amusing.

Aeana

I got Jessica last night and she does some serious AOE damage with her whip skills, it's pretty amusing.

One of the things I really like about DQ8 is that Jessica is actually the strongest single target attacker in the game with her whips. It's nice that they didn't relegate her to the usual mage role exclusively.

Gloam

What's the story with the characters from other DQ games appearing in the game? Is it the case that they're hanging out in the tavern looking for work? Or is it a Quake 3 style inter dimensional portal dealie?

Shouta

Jessica was pretty ridiculous in DQ8, like could be specialized in any direction and basically be the best character for whatever she wanted, lol. Healing? Yep. Magic? Yep, Single Target? Yep, lol. Probably the best character in that game, not without issues though.

She seems to be frail in this to compensate and her effective range is shorter than other folks in this though. Her Hyado spells are only really in front and single hit, I think.

Parakeetman

Hmmm interesting just noticed on the OHP that they had posted basically "rules & regs" in regards to streaming / recording footage from the game.

http://www.dragonquest.jp/heroes/guidelines/index.html

With that being said makes me think most def that they will be going after non PS4 filtered recorded footage due to the music and such. Makes me wonder if I should even bother to record any footage if the "auto-bots" are going to be flagging shit which will make everything a headache after.

Top Bottom