• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Bearers E3 Trailer

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
EDarkness said:
I'm thinking about that, too. They want a game my grandma can play? Oh man, more dumbed down gameplay. <sigh> I'm afraid to see how the game is going to turn out now.
Heh, I wouldn't pay much attention to that comment if I were you guys. Besides the ones trying to be SUPER HARDCORE (and here I don't mean gameplay but gory/"mature" presentation and the like), the "we're aiming for the entire family to be able to enjoy this" statement has been made regarding basically every game released on the Wii.

EDarkness

Fuu said:
Heh, I wouldn't pay much attention to that comment if I were you guys. Besides the ones trying to be SUPER HARDCORE (and here I don't mean gameplay but gory presentation and the like), the "we're aiming for the entire gamily to enjoy this" statement has been made regarding basically every game released on the Wii.

But that statement makes me think that's why they don't allow leveling and such. To keep it relatively simple for people to understand. Watching that interview just makes me think we're getting a dumbed down experience because it's not really a game made for the "core" gamers who really play Final Fantasy games. Why the hell would they want your grandmother to play the game in the first place. It's such a poor criteria to place on an RPG.

Akai

EDarkness said:
But that statement makes me think that's why they don't allow leveling and such.

It's an adventure game like Zelda...You can still upgrade equipment and abilities and the like...

Fuu

EDarkness said:
But that statement makes me think that's why they don't allow leveling and such. To keep it relatively simple for people to understand. Watching that interview just makes me think we're getting a dumbed down experience because it's not really a game made for the "core" gamers who really play Final Fantasy games. Why the hell would they want your grandmother to play the game in the first place. It's such a poor criteria to place on an RPG.
It's an action adventure though, even SE is calling it that now and they usually call every one of their games a RPG or an action RPG. People have been saying it's a Zelda-like game too. It's not a regular FF RPG by any means.

Many games aim to please all ages, this is not a bad thing (when done right).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
markatisu said:
WTH Gamespot, did they even play the game god :lol
The demo begins with that sky shooting segment so most likely they just stopped playing the demo right after that.

grandjedi6 said:
The demo begins with that sky shooting segment so most likely they just stopped playing the demo right after that.
The cutscenes are pretty long in the demo so it put off a lot of people. The sky shooting segment was fucking awesome to start off with though. I'd say my favorite part about the game was heading into town and picking up rich looking people and having their Gil fall out for me to take. :lol

It's also pretty cool how the townsfolk reacts to certain actions you happen to make. Save a guy who's stuck under something and people start to follow you with hearts over their heads. Shake the train you're riding on and everyone runs to the opposite side of the cabin all scared of you.

EDarkness

Fuu said:
It's an action adventure though, even SE is calling it that now and they usually call every one of their games a RPG or an action RPG. People have been saying it's a Zelda-like game too. It's not a regular FF RPG by any means.

Many games aim to please all ages, this is not a bad thing (when done right).

Oh, I understand the game is an adventure game in the same vein as Zelda. I have no problems with that. It's just not really Square's style. So that's not a strike against them in my eyes.

That said, the idea that they want this to be a game that my grandmother would play and be able to get into just tells me that maybe they made some sacrifices in their vision so that they could hit that goal. Sure, some games are all about being accessible, but I doubt Square would say that they wanted Final Fantasy 13 to be playable by my grandmother. That's not the target audience for that game. It just troubles me that this game wasn't met with the same focus.

EDarkness said:
Oh, I understand the game is an adventure game in the same vein as Zelda. I have no problems with that. It's just not really Square's style. So that's not a strike against them in my eyes.

That said, the idea that they want this to be a game that my grandmother would play and be able to get into just tells me that maybe they made some sacrifices in their vision so that they could hit that goal. Sure, some games are all about being accessible, but I doubt Square would say that they wanted Final Fantasy 13 to be playable by my grandmother. That's not the target audience for that game. It just troubles me that this game wasn't met with the same focus.
What? Its a game where you pick people and objects up with the Wiimote and throw them. Its not meant to be an overly complicated game in the first place. When the game is about throwing things, there's really no point in leveling up either.

That's just the design of the game. They wanted to make something that utilize the controls that the Wii offers. Those controls happen to be simple. The resulting game also happens to be simple. If it means grandma can now play it, who cares? This is obvious not a typical Final Fantasy game.

Fuu

IGN has posted 3 off screen gameplay videos from the demo, 1 in the city, 2 from the on rails chocobo sequence:

E3 2009: Tossing Culp (Off Screen)

E3 2009: Force Pushing (Off Screen)

E3 2009: Swatting Away (Off Screen)

donkey show said:
The cutscenes are pretty long in the demo so it put off a lot of people. The sky shooting segment was fucking awesome to start off with though. I'd say my favorite part about the game was heading into town and picking up rich looking people and having their Gil fall out for me to take. :lol

It's also pretty cool how the townsfolk reacts to certain actions you happen to make. Save a guy who's stuck under something and people start to follow you with hearts over their heads. Shake the train you're riding on and everyone runs to the opposite side of the cabin all scared of you.
:lol

Scrubking

EDarkness said:

Seriously. At this point in the race when someone starts talking about your grandma being able to play the game red flags should pop up immediately. Now maybe that was a poor translation or something, but until someone proves that the game wasn't compromised it has dropped off my list.

pakkit

Banned
Scrubking said:
Now maybe that was a poor translation or something, but until someone proves that the game wasn't compromised it has dropped off my list.

Guilty till proven innocent, what a way to live.

It's a Zelda-esque game. Even Nintendo has been making their Zelda games more accessible, so when SE follows suits with a game that combine Zelda elements with a neat overworld and cool Force Unleashed powers, you run for the hills at the slightest sign of accessibility? Rewarding Nintendo for a certain behavior and then bashing their third-party developers for following suit. It's ridiculous.

34sm5xt.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Scrubking said:
Seriously. At this point in the race when someone starts talking about your grandma being able to play the game red flags should pop up immediately. Now maybe that was a poor translation or something, but until someone proves that the game wasn't compromised it has dropped off my list.

Come one. Does this look like a game that your grandmother would play? He's obviously trying to jump onto the "Wii is for everyone!" theme of E3. Grandma isn't gonna play Zelda, she isn't gonna play TCB. No one's impressions have made it seem this way. I really wouldn't worry about it that much.

Oh yeah, just wanted to mention that if you're trying to target something (object, person, etc.) and something else gets in the way, you'll automatically target them instead. This got kind of annoying during the 1st minigame where you're chasing the ferret in town.

Fuu

Yeah, I can't find any other press hands-on besides the Gamespot one. No one cares!

Thanks to donkey show and everyone else in this and the impressions threads for taking your time sharing with us.

Scrubking

Fuu said:
Yeah, I can't find any other press hands-on besides the Gamespot one. No one cares!

Thanks to donkey show and everyone else in this and the impressions threads for taking your time sharing with us.

Here's one*.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-final-fantasy-crystal-bearers-134824.phtml
What do you imagine when you think of Square Enix putting together a Wii-exclusive title? Well, what you're picturing in your head is probably pretty close to what Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers actually is. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you. I liked it, though. And if you're a Final Fantasy fan that isn't expecting anything groundbreaking or terribly challenging, I think you will too.

I played a rather lengthy demo of Crystal Bearers, a story-heavy wagglefest that has put a stylistic spin on everything that's ever been done with the Wii Remote controller.

*Discalimer
Destructoid is a shitty fanboy sight.

markatisu

Scrubking said:
And if you're a Final Fantasy fan that isn't expecting anything groundbreaking or terribly challenging, I think you will too.

Hasn't most of what Square has put out over the last 5 years fit that explanation

Fuu

Scrubking said:
Here's one*.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-final-fantasy-crystal-bearers-134824.phtml

*Discalimer
Destructoid is a shitty fanboy sight.
story-heavy wagglefest lololol

Pointer = waggle after all. Official thread shall be titled "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of poor man's Zelda story-heavy wagglefest on Dreamcast for grandparents".

I don't think people should judge the difficulty of the game by the demo, it's the start of the game after all. But again, they shouldn't have used the cutscene heavy entire intro for a demo instead of a controlled enviroment to show Layle's abilities. Even if that's the case, I don't mind easy games as long as they're fun.

dyls

I remember another time that Square made an obvious attempt to get the mass market to play what had been a rather niche genre: a little game called FFVII.

markatisu

Fuu said:
Official thread shall be titled "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of poor man's Zelda story-heavy wagglefest on Dreamcast for grandparents".

Awesome :lol

Fuu

schuelma said:
Game seems like it will be really varied and full of little things.

Bozon said:
As part of the free-roaming sections of the game, little events (most of the time not even directly spelled out for players) come up where Layle's powers can be put to good use or utter mischief. Hucking around castle guards, for example, will cause the armored enforcers to chase him around the town. Find one trapped under a huge boulder though, and you can help him up and discover a new quest completion. Of course if you're anything like me you'll also end that little exchange by using it as a giant bowling ball toss down some stairs at a group of conveniently placed bystanders.
Lack of variation was/is my biggest worry about this one but this part along donkey show's impressions (stealing Gil from rich townsfolk, people in the train scared of you, ferret chasing) and the different "action scenes" (onrailslol) are making me exepct lots of different stuff to pull. And that's not even taking monster reactions in consideration.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cow Mengde said:
Hey, people at neogaf can judge the entire game from a 2 minute trailer
nah, people at gaf could not tell what they are looking at if their life depended on it.

Fuu said:
C'mon people, this trailer does have a weird image quality but we all know the game looks nice from other videos and direct feed screens. And even if you haven't been seeing the released media, what was the last SE game that didn't look great for the system it was on? This should go without saying, they rarely underdeliver on the visual presentation.

33l1so7.jpg

2nu66i8.jpg

Anyway, what we know of the gameplay, scope and ideas is ace. Can't wait for impressions on the playable E3 build.

That's what I was thinking when watching the trailer. All the other videos of the game looked awesome.

bluemax

Banned
This game looked really nice on the show floor. Probably one of the stand out Wii titles for me. Definitely one of the nicest most fleshed out Wii games I've seen yet.

Yeah. I had a private hands-on with this, and an interview with the director, who was lovely. Will be online late next week, I'll post a link.

Fuu

Justin Bailey said:
Do we know anything about the multiplayer? Is it local Secret of Mana style?
This one is single player only. There's a Mario Galaxy-like multiplayer component apparently (other remote controlling a reticle on the screen).

APZonerunner said:
Yeah. I had a private hands-on with this, and an interview with the director, who was lovely. Will be online late next week, I'll post a link.
Nice, please do.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
People are surprised at Crystal Bearers being single-player? I kind of assumed it at the first re-reveal after the whole period of no news. Multiplayer fans already have a couple of titles to satisfy them from the franchise.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BorkBork said:
People are surprised at Crystal Bearers being single-player? I kind of assumed it at the first re-reveal after the whole period of no news. Multiplayer fans already have a couple of titles to satisfy them from the franchise.
Yep, we've known this pretty much sense they showed us what the game looked like now. At least, we had a pretty good idea.

In my opinion, it's a better direction for the series. Portable multiplayer, single player console games.

Fuu

Justin Bailey said:
gahhhhhhhhhh
It's basically only a Crystal Chronicles game in the name and some plot elements and the tribes. Gameplay wise it has a very different approach from the other CC games.

BorkBork said:
Safe to assume people will expect multiplayer from this at first glance. Can't blame them, after all the SE secrecy we've only got media blowouts in the recent months (the videos on the official website, the Famitsu/Jump articles). Many are probably knowing more about the game now with E3.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
BorkBork said:
Any that have just normal, local multiplayer? I've been out of the loop for awhile and I can't seem to find anything.

Fuu

EmCeeGramr said:
Impossible, GameSpot told me this was a rail shooter.
blu said:
rail shooters FTW.
Official thread title now updated to "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of on rails story-heavy wagglefest poor man's Zelda on Dreamcast for grandparents".

Jaded Alyx said:
Meh, he's got a heck of a long way to go before he surpasses Cloud...

IMG]http://tinyurl.com/re9f56[/IMG]
:lol ...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Fuu said:
Official thread title now updated to "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of on-rails story-heavy wagglefest poor man's Zelda on Dreamcast sans dynamic lighting for grandparents grandmas".
and we have a deal.

Top Bottom