• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

kgtrep

SalvaPot, you are one of the few who have not said anything, and yet, you were very engaged during Day 0 conversation.

You must be following us, so what is your take on lynching someone and who would you lynch?

For the new page.

Time Remaining in the Day Phase:
t1438815600z4.png

Current votes
(12 votes needed for majority):
Names with a strike voted, and then unvoted.

AbsolutBro (5)
swamped
Terrabyte20xx
CornBurrito
*Splinter
ViviOggi

*Splinter (1)
kgtrep

kgtrep (0)
*Splinter

A Human Becoming (1)
Crab

ANuclearError (1)
franconp

CornBurrito (0)
CzarTim
Kalor

goshujinsama (1)
kingkitty

SalvaPot (1)
Kalor

ViviOggi (1)
BarryLocke

Just a reminder, we are playing with a plurality - meaning if one decision has more votes than any other at the end of the Day Phase, that is the decision that goes into effect.

Also, let me know if I made a mistake. It's a little tricky keeping track of votes.

Uh, okay, I didn't think we were starting until Monday when people got back from Gencon. But whatever, let's get this party star-

3. Voting is extremely powerful, so don't let that power go to waste. That said, let me use that power right now:

VOTE: AbsolutBro
let's 100% turbo AB as punishment for the last game. don't even let him speak just vote!
;_; we were partners Swamped...
;_; and Czar. We were bros. If raindoc hadn't murderfaced you the same night he tried to kill me, we could have run off into the sunset like the end of some noir detective movie.

Jokes aside, and as I don't want to die, my defense is fairly simple: even when I was on the dark side of the game, my posts were nearly 100% truthful. I'd explain what I was doing and why, and I'll keep doing that here. That's something that is very difficult to keep going when you also have to coordinate with other players; reading Hutt chat after last game showed me that. I can only give you my assurances that I'm team Hope this game, and that my sleuthing skills will be used for good this time.

the SW game had blarg.
And the most suicidal Rebel power roles ever.

CzarTim

he speaks! AB the problem with being a really good scum player is it's harder to trust you in future games. Not saying we really should or should not lynch you today, but I'll kind of have to take what you say with an extra dose of skepticism. Even more so than everyone else.

we'll always be bros though <3

kingkitty

i think probability wise, it's unlikely for absolutebro to be mafia twice in a row. not that we should totally disregard the possibility.

but for the time being, i'm not down with the "skin absolutebro" train.

I agree, Crab. We need more information about each other.

I dug through the warehouse to find these cards. (Not really, but let's go along with it.)

YLA5v0S.gif

Everyone, pick a number between 1 and 9.

Each number is assigned to a card. You answer yes or no to the question, simple.

If your number is
2, 8, or 9
, answer the left card.
If your number is
3, 4, or 5
, answer the middle card.
If your number is
1, 6, or 7
, answer the right card.

Of course you are free to lie or ignore these cards altogether. My answer to one of the cards is no.

Right card

franconp

he speaks! AB the problem with being a really good scum player is it's harder to trust you in future games. Not saying we really should or should not lynch you today, but I'll kind of have to take what you say with an extra dose of skepticism. Even more so than everyone else.

I don't think that previous games should influence your opinions in this games. It should be important that someone killed (or evicted) you before. And Kalor, Salvapot and kingkitty think the same as me, right?

<3

Tell you what, if we find a set of hidden Despair masons, I'll be first in line for the firing squad.

i think probability wise, it's unlikely for absolutebro to be mafia twice in a row. not that we should totally disregard the possibility.

but for the time being, i'm not down with the "skin absolutebro" train.

This is tricky, because dice do not have memory. So if the roles were randomly determined his status as Scum last game has no bearing on his chances of being Scum this game.

On the other hand, a human gave out the roles and I doubt it was a completely random process.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is tricky, because dice do not have memory. So if the roles were randomly determined his status as Scum last game has no bearing on his chances of being Scum this game.

On the other hand, a human gave out the roles and I doubt it was a completely random process.

It is a completely random process; I recommended random.org's list function. So, trying to establish information about people's present roles based which past roles they have received is not going anywhere.

CzarTim

I don't think that previous games should influence your opinions in this games. It should be important that someone killed (or evicted) you before. And Kalor, Salvapot and kingkitty think the same as me, right?
I mean meta shouldn't be the only reason to vote someone and I'll be judging people based on their actions this game above all. However meta can play into this game. From personal experience I know AB is capable of playing a very town-esk scum game and because I fell for it harder than anyone last game I'll keep that in mind this time. Similarly I'll be adjusting my scumdar on zipp because I was super convinced he was mafia last game when he wasn't (sorry again zipp :( ). It's kind of hard not to at least consider that kind of stuff a little when it comes to social games like mafia. I agree with your sentiment though.
<3

Tell you what, if we find a set of hidden Despair masons, I'll be first in line for the firing squad.

haha sounds like a deal

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
BEARLY BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER: Crab

Swamped

Banned
Uh, okay, I didn't think we were starting until Monday when people got back from Gencon. But whatever, let's get this party star-

;_; we were partners Swamped...
;_; and Czar. We were bros. If raindoc hadn't murderfaced you the same night he tried to kill me, we could have run off into the sunset like the end of some noir detective movie.

Jokes aside, and as I don't want to die, my defense is fairly simple: even when I was on the dark side of the game, my posts were nearly 100% truthful. I'd explain what I was doing and why, and I'll keep doing that here. That's something that is very difficult to keep going when you also have to coordinate with other players; reading Hutt chat after last game showed me that. I can only give you my assurances that I'm team Hope this game, and that my sleuthing skills will be used for good this time.

And the most suicidal Rebel power roles ever.

Hey, my vote for you wasn't personal! Blame the RNG God lol. Anyway, I didn't vote for you to Punish you, but just to get the ball rolling and see how you would respond. There's something about your post that strikes me as Hope aligned so for now, I'm going to shift my vote to someone else whom I would like to hear more from.

VOTE: Sawneeks

Hey, my vote for you wasn't personal! Blame the RNG God lol. Anyway, I didn't vote for you to Punish you, but just to get the ball rolling and see how you would respond. There's something about your post that strikes me as Hope aligned so for now, I'm going to shift my vote to someone else whom I would like to hear more from.

What exactly about his post sounded Hope aligned to you?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I mean meta shouldn't be the only reason to vote someone and I'll be judging people based on their actions this game above all. However meta can play into this game. From personal experience I know AB is capable of playing a very town-esk scum game and because I fell for it harder than anyone last game I'll keep that in mind this time. Similarly I'll be adjusting my scumdar on zipp because I was super convinced he was mafia last game when he wasn't (sorry again zipp :( ). It's kind of hard not to at least consider that kind of stuff a little when it comes to social games like mafia. I agree with your sentiment though.

haha sounds like a deal
The thing about meta you have to worry about with mafia is not when you consciously use it, but when it subconsciously influences you. It's so easy to assume stuff based on previous behavior even though it's not indicative of their true nature. I mean, we're still making karkador serialkiller jokes even though that was only once.

Every game is a clean slate when it comes to who is mafia and who isn't. Playstyles are ways to suspect someone's true alignment, but never a confirmation.

The thing about meta you have to worry about with mafia is not when you consciously use it, but when it subconsciously influences you. It's so easy to assume stuff based on previous behavior even though it's not indicative of their true nature. I mean, we're still making karkador serialkiller jokes even though that was only once.

Every game is a clean slate when it comes to who is mafia and who isn't. Playstyles are ways to suspect someone's true alignment, but never a confirmation.

Yeah, I mean sure in my last two games I met an untimely end way before I probably should have. But that doesn't mean that's going to happen this time... Right?

kgtrep

I agree that what happened in previous games shouldn't let us influence our thoughts.

I see that swamped has changed her vote. I was suspicious of Sawneeks before, so I'm going to also change my vote (for now, *Splinter...) to see if Sawneeks will tell us more about herself.

Sawneeks

Kalor

With kgtrep mentioning the workshop I'm curious how these rooms could potentially influence the game or if it is just flavour. We already know that there is some mechanic around rule breakers and how they get to their destination being important. If I have to guess there are roles that detect movement near them or can watch a certain room at night (A Lookout in traditional mafia terms). If that ends up being the case then you could assume that there might be one Despair member that can avoid detection. Of course we'll see what we find out tomorrow regarding this.

In regards to peoples actions in other games influencing decisions here, I feel like we shouldn't mention stuff like that in our posts and purely rely on information in the game.

Makai

Okay, I finished moving to my new apartment. I got super lucky renting from this place sight-unseen. I thought it was unfurnished when I applied, but it's actually ridiculously well-furnished. Huge mattresses, two couches, a bunch of chairs. There's four lamps in my bedroom (wtf?!). A bunch of dishes and kitchen stuff. Books?! There's even a coin jar...with coins in it! No wifi yet, but tethering from my phone's data plan is working so far. Just caught up with the thread, too. Yay, a map! Star Wars ended up being the best game last season, but I was jealous of the cool Animal Crossing map and ridiculous speculation about it. Our map looks even more interesting - can anybody leave their rooms, or only people with special roles?

I agree, Crab. We need more information about each other.

I dug through the warehouse to find these cards. (Not really, but let's go along with it.)

YLA5v0S.gif

Each number is assigned to a card. You answer yes or no to the question, simple.

If your number is
2, 8, or 9
, answer the left card.
If your number is
3, 4, or 5
If your number is
1, 6, or 7
, answer the right card.

Of course you are free to lie or ignore these cards altogether. My answer to one of the cards is no.

No.

Oh, and...

nI2ol7A.png

Makai

I'm about to start the Vita version of Happy Havoc with Mean Logic and Mean Action difficulties. Is this a bad plan?

El Topo

I'm about to start the Vita version of Happy Havoc with Mean Logic and Mean Action difficulties. Is this a bad plan?

From what I remember, increasing the difficulty only makes the trials last longer and the mini-games more annoying. In hindsight I wish I had played both games on the easiest difficulty, if only to save me time.

Kalor

I remember some parts of the game were annoying on Mean but it wasn't that bad. If you just want to get through the game and not need to retry some minigames play on the easy one, you don't miss anything (I think).

Swamped

Banned
What exactly about his post sounded Hope aligned to you?

Well.....
Let me say this: If I were a Despair member I don't think I would give away my alignment so easily. I would try to deflect. I didn't get that feeling from AB's post.

Ah. I mistakenly thought that you said the northwest part of the building was warehouse, but I see now that you said workshop.

Aw man, I thought you had discovered a new room!

Okay, I finished moving to my new apartment. I got super lucky renting from this place sight-unseen. I thought it was unfurnished when I applied, but it's actually ridiculously well-furnished. Huge mattresses, two couches, a bunch of chairs. There's four lamps in my bedroom (wtf?!). A bunch of dishes and kitchen stuff. Books?! There's even a coin jar...with coins in it! No wifi yet, but tethering from my phone's data plan is working so far. Just caught up with the thread, too. Yay, a map! Star Wars ended up being the best game last season, but I was jealous of the cool Animal Crossing map and ridiculous speculation about it. Our map looks even more interesting - can anybody leave their rooms, or only people with special roles?

WHAT why is Monokuma favoring you? My room has a thin mattress, a straight-back chair and broken lamp. You are soooo Despair.

kgtrep

I don't think so. (i just finishing playing D1 today, onto D2 now.)

The mean setting makes you choose the right answer out of more choices, and (I think) receieve more damage if you answer incorrectly.

Only the minigames are tedious, so I guess putting Action difficulty on Mean will end up being annoying. Leave the Logic on Mean, it's easy enough as it is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Too much fluff going on right now. Hope will have to read back through the early days later on looking for inconsistencies; it's not useful to have to parse through irrelevancies as well.

I had no issues with all of them on Mean. And I think you get more coins on harder settings for more gatchapon things to collect and give as gifts.

Was away over the weekend.

Seeing that all of us have zero theories at this stage, I will vote for the first one that cast the stone.

Vote: Swamped

Sawneeks

Banned

I agree that what happened in previous games shouldn't let us influence our thoughts.

I see that swamped has changed her vote. I was suspicious of Sawneeks before, so I'm going to also change my vote (for now, *Splinter...) to see if Sawneeks will tell us more about herself.

Sawneeks

I'm going to reiterate what I said yesterday in that I was going to wait to see who posts and who does not just to get a good sense of where folks allegiances lie. That and I wanted to wait and hear from other members of the game who might be in different time zones/asleep before throwing a vote around. It puts pressure on people to respond but I also don't want to give it out unless I'm suspicious or have a definite reason to threaten someone. So far with no information to go off of it's mainly just been pointing fingers and getting responses from those that are quiet/suspicious, so to keep that going:

VOTE: Rest

You posted soon after the game started and simply went silent after asking how many votes would need to lynch a person. Instead of adding anything to the very early game discussion you made an off-hand comment, asked your question, and then promptly fell silent. Why the sudden silence? Why not vote or join in on the conversation? You seemed eager to vote for someone from the start.

Makai

Makai pls, Crabbypants is going to get mad.
Fineeeee.

I am definitely not in favor of a random Day 1 punishment. The mathematical argument assumes everybody is generic town. The risk of lynching or even exposing our power roles is too great for this foolishness. Star Wars Mafia is proof of why it's a bad move. On Day 1, we lynched a ridiculously good power role. Every power role revealed themselves early, so Mafia had no trouble selecting victims. If people are bandwagoning on you, do not disclose your role; do not hint at your role's abilities. If you reveal yourself as a power role to save yourself from Hope, expect to be killed by Despair that night. Defend yourself with that in mind.

VOTE: No Punishment

I'll change my vote if anything interesting comes up.

Fineeeee.

I am definitely not in favor of a random Day 1 punishment. The mathematical argument assumes everybody is generic town. The risk of lynching or even exposing our power roles is too great for this foolishness. Star Wars Mafia is proof of why it's a bad move. On Day 1, we lynched a ridiculously good power role. Every power role revealed themselves early, so Mafia had no trouble selecting victims. If people are bandwagoning on you, do not disclose your role; do not hint at your role's abilities. If you reveal yourself as a power role to save yourself from Hope, expect to be killed by Despair that night. Defend yourself with that in mind.

I felt like Star Wars Mafia Day 1 was a powerful example of why if things look really south you should reveal who you are. It might have saved exmachina, even if he would have possibly died soon after. Of course if you can successfully save yourself without showing your cards, it's best to go that route. But staying fully silent to die doesn't do the Hope side any favors.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
YLA5v0S.gif

If your number is
2, 8, or 9
, answer the left card.
If your number is
3, 4, or 5
If your number is
1, 6, or 7
, answer the right card.

My answer to one of these is no.

That's illogical, you should play this game on its own, not with old ones in mind.

I'm going to reiterate what I said yesterday in that I was going to wait to see who posts and who does not just to get a good sense of where folks allegiances lie. That and I wanted to wait and hear from other members of the game who might be in different time zones/asleep before throwing a vote around. It puts pressure on people to respond but I also don't want to give it out unless I'm suspicious or have a definite reason to threaten someone. So far with no information to go off of it's mainly just been pointing fingers and getting responses from those that are quiet/suspicious, so to keep that going:

VOTE: Rest

You posted soon after the game started and simply went silent after asking how many votes would need to lynch a person. Instead of adding anything to the very early game discussion you made an off-hand comment, asked your question, and then promptly fell silent. Why the sudden silence? Why not vote or join in on the conversation? You seemed eager to vote for someone from the start.
Like I said, the person I wanted to vote for had an annoying avatar that I didn't want to see. I was hoping that I could get a blind bandwagon going, and that people would vote for him out of hand if I lead the charge. I checked his username against the players though, and he was just a spectator making commentary.

As to my quietness, I only use the internet so much each day. Once my time is done, it's done. You can look at my post history if you want, you'll see that I have activity for a few hours a day that stops abruptly.

Someone noted earlier that Town members need to communicate with each other, and that the best way to do that is to post frequently. This makes sense to me. Several people have also stated that they have mistrust for quiet people. Taking those two things together, one should probably make sure to keep active in the thread. One player seems to have taken that line of thinking a little too far, seems a little over active to me, and that has raised my suspicion. So I must cast a vote:

VOTE: swamped

kgtrep

Fineeeee.

I disagree with your statement that we should do nothing so that we save a power role. However, those with power should stay quiet for the time being.

Like the rest of us, the Despair does not know who among the Hope have a power role (your statement assumes that there are many Hope with power, but that is something only Monokuma knows). The Hope with power have as much chance of dying on their first night as they do on their first day.

We should lynch someone in the hopes that we correctly picked a Despair---we would go down as the first on GAF mafia history---and that, if we did happen to pick a Hope by mistake, then he or she did not have a power role.

Who knows, maybe we will even be more lucky and pick a Despair with a power role (they can exist too, right?).

Makai

I felt like Star Wars Mafia Day 1 was a powerful example of why if things look really south you should reveal who you are. It might have saved exmachina, even if he would have possibly died soon after. Of course if you can successfully save yourself without showing your cards, it's best to go that route. But staying fully silent to die doesn't do the Hope side any favors.
A bunch of people got nervous and revealed themselves for no good reason. Setre revealed himself when he had like two votes on him. I'd rather we lynch power roles than have EVERY power role out in the open. That's what will happen if we encourage this hyper-aggressive playstyle. Easy pickings for Despair. If exmachine64 revealed himself, Hutts would have killed him that night. Instead, we killed Lord of Castamere, who was effectively an ordinary town since he used his ability that night. exmachine64 didn't even defend himself - just got mad and left.

Top Bottom