• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 3 Announced - Rash from Battletoads available today!

kewlbot

My Riptor is in a Cheerleader outfit. Your argument is invalid.

pxOkgSS.jpg
to be fair it only got this weird until iron galaxy had their hands on it
when double helix was working on it it was very less over the top

to be fair it only got this weird until iron galaxy had their hands on it
when double helix was working on it it was very less over the top

You can tell who has played this game, or at least kept up with it since release, and who has just kinda wandered in the topic.

Xav

Personally I think Rash feels kind of forced and out of place.

Then again, a little source told me Rare are working on a new Battletoads game. Microsoft's sudden interest in the Battletoads IP has a little more meaning to it than you guys think.

big_z

Does rash have an ultra? I've tried a few times and the ultra flash triggers but then I can only get off a single punch.

Also what does it mean that you can enjoy rash until September 8th. Is he temporary or getting locked at that date unless you purchase him?

Cynn

I'm a little surprised to see so many people that have no clue KI has always been satire / parody. If you take anything about this game seriously then you must not have been around when the series launched.

KI was the "turn it to 11" of 90's fighting games. You like combos? Ours go past 100! We have dinosaurs, werewolves, robots, orcs and gargoyles!

When velociraptors are fighting werewolves on a stage 2000 years in the past because a corporation invented time travel you shouldn't balk at an alien space frog joining the fight. Hell, the other alien in the game is a Popsicle.

You should be more pissed it's Rash and not Zitz. His design is much cooler!

daTRUballin

Then again, a little source told me Rare are working on a new Battletoads game. Microsoft's sudden interest in the Battletoads IP has a little more meaning to it than you guys think.

Where do you get all this info from? I always see you in these threads and you always claim you have inside knowledge. Are you friends with someone at Rare or something?

pizzacat

Banned
I've bought the seasons but haven't really delved into ki because I don't really like the controller too much. But season 2 is so good from what I've seen, so many different options.

uhhh

The Flash

Banned

200.gif

-MD-

I thought this was obvious. There's a reason they're making Battletoads merchandise (shirts, vinyl), Battletoads DLC for Shovel Knight, Battletoads KI character, Battletoads NES/Arcade port etc.

It's not for funsies, they're really pushing that IP lately.

.la1n

Not saying I don't believe you but be careful making these claims, mods will ask for source/credentials via PM or the ban hammer cometh.

kewlbot

You can tell who has played this game, or at least kept up with it since release, and who has just kinda wandered in the topic.

lol i followed this game since forever
i cant play since i honestly cant afford an xbox one but i still feel like there's a pretty big tonal shift from season 1 to 2. watching the trailers from season 1 i could not expect this game to eventually have silly stage ultra animations like this:

vGUOnX8.gif

it's not even really a bad thing, i just find it weird how much it changed ever since iron galaxy worked on it

Dr. Buni

I did not see that coming :O That is so cool and nostalgic. Too bad the PC version is months away :| I can't wait to play this game...

dankir

Does rash have an ultra? I've tried a few times and the ultra flash triggers but then I can only get off a single punch.

Also what does it mean that you can enjoy rash until September 8th. Is he temporary or getting locked at that date unless you purchase him?

It's basically a beta to test him out, so not surprisingly he doesn't have a complete Ultra yet.

Basically it gives us something new to play with seeing that S3 is so far away. I'm sure they'll be more beta stuff like this until the official S3 release.

KI Season 3 Cameo speculation list goooooo:

-Master Chief
-General RAAM
-Horsetachio
-Azurik
-Banjo (actually just a literal grizzly in a pair of shorts wearing a backpack)
-An Atlas mech

Sponge

Banned
About the whole Master Chief/guest characters discussion, here's some pieces of concept art from an ex-Rare contractors portfolio. Chief in KI has been thought about before if these are anything to go by.

...that Fulgore though

Sydle

Not saying I don't believe you but be careful making these claims, mods will ask for source/credentials via PM or the ban hammer cometh.

Xav suggested Rare were working on a game with pirates ages ago (last year), so I believe him on this.

With all of the hints (Spencer's t-shirt, renewed IP, Shovel Knight cameo, KI cameo, cos-play at Comic Con, Spencer's avatar with a battletoad in his hand) it's pretty safe to assume it's being worked on. I figured we'd see something by now, but maybe they're saving it to reveal next year.

lol i followed this game since forever
i cant play since i honestly cant afford an xbox one but i still feel like there's a pretty big tonal shift from season 1 to 2. watching the trailers from season 1 i could not expect this game to eventually have silly stage ultra animations like this:

vGUOnX8.gif

it's not even really a bad thing, i just find it weird how much it changed ever since iron galaxy worked on it

i don't know... i've been playing this game since I bought an Xbox One in 2013 right after launch and i haven't really noticed a tonal shift. it may be a little bit more goofy now, but season 1 still had goofball moments. not to mention that the original KI games (especially the 1st one) were pretty damn goofy too. remember Orchid killing people by showing her boobs?

Dr. Buni

I just realized how freaking hard it will be to pick a main in this game.

Maya
Orchid
Hisako
Aria
Thunder
Rash
Riptor maybe?

So many cool characters.

KI to me is not like SF where there are only one or two characters that look remotely cool in the roster. With the exception of Sadira, the whole KI roster is incredibly imo.

Banjo & Kazooie playable please, if only for the goofiness.

RK128

Wow, didn't expect Rash to pop up in KI :D! Really cool, as he looks to be a very natraul fit into the roster (his moveset looks like a ton of fun too).

With Battletoads getting so much representation since the X1 launch, it makes since that a reboot/sequel/ect is in the works and I look forward to seeing what that looks like in the future :).

As for more guest fighters....I could picture others popping up:
-Master Chief: Gun-focused fighter using a large arsenal from the Halo series
-Arbiter: Has the energy sword as the bases for his moveset with more up-front guns (shot gun, ect) being used as well
-Conker: Uses his abilities from the 'Context-Sensitive' pad he plants around the battlefield and has a few melee weapons as well (bat, frying pan, ect)
-Kameo: Morphs into the various creatures she collects throughout her game and has a great air-game (lots of air combos in her normal form)
-Joanna Dark: Uses tons of spy-themed attacks alongside using some of her weapons from her classic N64 game
-Banjo: A literal giant bear wearing shorts and a backpack. Has very powerful attacks and throws Jiggys and Eggs as well XD.

I just realized how freaking hard it will be to pick a main in this game.

Maya
Orchid
Hisako
Aria
Thunder
Rash
Riptor maybe?

So many cool characters.

KI to me is not like SF where there are only one or two characters that look remotely cool in the roster. With the exception of Sadira, the whole KI roster is incredibly imo.

Banjo & Kazooie playable please, if only for the goofiness.

This is why I love this game :D

character variety is enormous and although I lean more towards spinal, playing the other characters is fun as hell

fXgnVCd.jpg

This isn't Master Chief by the way. He is Spartan 1337 from Halo Legends: Odd One Out (the only noncanon story, by Toei Animation).

16BitNova

I played around with Rash for a bit. He's cool and all, but just seems so basic. Really seems more like a character to appeal to the newcomers or "casual" player. Just seems like nothing special in the mechanics department.

Xav

I hinted at Sea of Thieves last year before it was announced.

AfoJZYU.png

I had assumed that Battletoads would be at E3 and the Pirate game possibly scrapped but it seems they decided to go through with it.

All this sudden love for Battletoads from Microsoft is a clear sign that they are putting the series in people's mind. When they do reveal Battletoads, they don't want everyone to be like...

Q2fHGt8.gif

Also check out the following video around the 35 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLi_-3ldug4

Notice he mentions four development studios yet we only see the Rare Replay team and the Sea of Thieves team. What are the other two up to?

-MD-

I played around with Rash for a bit. He's cool and all, but just seems so basic. Really seems more like a character to appeal to the newcomers or "casual" player. Just seems like nothing special in the mechanics department.

Is this Rash’s final look?
No way dude! You’re getting an early look at Rash, so his animations, moveset and appearance are not final.

^

Dr. Buni

This is why I love this game :D

character variety is enormous and although I lean more towards spinal, playing the other characters is fun as hell
I already love it too and I haven't even played it (though I am a big fan of the SNES one).

Character variety is extremely important to me and Killer Instinct nails in this aspect. I am really excited to see the other Season 3 characters :)

Capcom and SNK (is dead) should learn a few lessons from Microsoft.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm going to take a guess here. Season 3 will have Tusk, Kim Wu, Eyedol, Gargos, two new characters and Joanna Dark along with the Battletoad as the guest characters.

isn't there a Spartan on Blue Team that's going to be in Halo 5 thats better at hand to hand than Chief? Would be good to put him in imo, especially if people are going to be playing him and with him in h5 :)

Son Of D

If they're adding more guest characters they can use this as a chance to turn KI into a pseudo-MS Smash game in terms of it being a MS wide crossover.
I'm only half serious.

Sydle

I'm going to take a guess here. Season 3 will have Tusk, Kim Wu, Eyedol, Gargos, two new characters and Joanna Dark along with the Battletoad as the guest characters.

If it's like the past two seasons there will be 9 characters again, so one more. They'd probably also touch up Omen like they're doing with Shago now.

I'd love to see Joanna Dark (or a relation to her) in this with some type of gun that has secondary and tertiary functions. I'm sure they could come up with some type of Bond/Mission Impossible/Kingsman-esque gadgets for her as well.

They've hinted that one of the new characters is a sibling to a KI Season 2 character and Isgreen responded to a question if there would be a vampire that it is one of the major tropes they haven't covered yet so there's a good chance for one.

I'm not as certain about this one, but I think it was also hinted that there may be another Shadow character that was possessed by an Omen-like entity (there are many of them). I suppose that could end up being the sibling to a KI Season 2 character.

Defect

When you select Rash it only shows his Retro costume. Anyone think that when S3 actually launches he will have a KI redesign or something?

Jawmuncher

When you select Rash it only shows his Retro costume. Anyone think that when S3 actually launches he will have a KI redesign or something?

Would be cool to have a Reimagined rash for KI. Actually for all guest characters that would be neat.

Yeah, Rare characters appearing in Rare IPs is really odd.

Top Bottom