• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 3 Announced - Rash from Battletoads available today!

The new Poster Child for Wat Announcements

I'll try anything once, what the hell

His ultra should just be the opponent flying into walls on a speed bike 100 times

Battletoads violence is cartoon violence, not gory violence....they don't match at all....

Rated E for Everyone indeed.

maxresdefault.jpg

RK128

I hinted at Sea of Thieves last year before it was announced.

AfoJZYU.png

I had assumed that Battletoads would be at E3 and the Pirate game possibly scrapped but it seems they decided to go through with it.

All this sudden love for Battletoads from Microsoft is a clear sign that they are putting the series in people's mind. When they do reveal Battletoads, they don't want everyone to be like...

Q2fHGt8.gif

Also check out the following video around the 35 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLi_-3ldug4

Notice he mentions four development studios yet we only see the Rare Replay team and the Sea of Thieves team. What are the other two up to?

Its great to see that one of Rares many prototypes became a reality with Sea of Thieves :). And thank you for giving us these hints; its great seeing Rare come back this generation swinging :D.

With you saying that there are four teams at Rare and two of them are already working on stuff (Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay), I guess we can guess the following:
-Battletoads by Rare and/or Rare + Other Developer (Killer Instinct situation)
-Banjo Four by Rare
-Re-Booting IP that appeared in Rare Replay (Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark and RC-Pro-AM fit this guess well).

I have no idea how you could market a new Battletoads game in 2015. They are just so.... 90s. Maybe as a curahzy action game ala DMC/Bayonetta and made by platinum.

SimonM7

I have no idea how you could market a new Battletoads game

Completely valid point, and one I had about Killer Instinct before they unveiled a new Killer Instinct.

KI kinda set the bar for what I expect to be viable now... which is to say.. if someone wants to revive something about werewolves and fire guys and dinosaurs - or frogs with sunglasses fighting rats - I won't be like "what 90s do you think we're in, anyway?" I'll be all like.. writing posts like this. :D

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Then again, a little source told me Rare are working on a new Battletoads game. Microsoft's sudden interest in the Battletoads IP has a little more meaning to it than you guys think.
Great. Looking forward to your PM.

Dr. Buni

People suggesting Banjo without mentioning Kazooie break my heart. There is no Banjo without Kazooie.

Can you imagine a version of Banjo & Kazooie a la Mega Man and Pac-Man from Street Fighter x Tekken in this game?

mdsfx

I know KI has its craziness, but no one else finds the addition of Rash just a Little too much? I'm not complaining, it's just that if I had a choice it would be someone slightly more serious

Leflus

I know KI had its craziness, but no one else finds the addition of trash just a Little too much? I'm not complaining, it's just that if I had a choice or would be someone slightly more serious
Lol.

I wanted Rash to be the first guest character in KI, but I'm surprised that they're doing it now instead of after Season 3. Hopefully there won't be too many guest characters in S3.

mdsfx

Lol.

I wanted Rash to be the first guest character in KI, but I'm surprised that they're doing it now instead of after Season 3. Hopefully there won't be too many guest characters in S3.
Woops! I hate auto correct. That was actually not intentional lol

Card Boy

Banned
Had a play, the moves are good so far but obviously needs work which they say.

- Need a big fist move. He only ever does it as part of the throw animation.

battletoads.jpg

- There needs to be s difference in close and far moves as currently they are all the same for the basic attacks

- More colors obviously (2 currently)

- Maybe add Zitz and Pimple as alternate costumes

- Rash looks too much like a watermelon when he goes into his Wrecking Ball move

OY4QLP7.png

- I think Rash is too tall, he needs to be made stockier

This is my feedback.

PooBone

How can I get access to Rash?
Rash is available to all Killer Instinct and Rare Replay owners. If you’ve purchased any piece of Killer Instinct content, including Season bundles, characters, accessories, colours, or even KI Gold you have instant access to Rash. Rare Replay players – just launch the “Battletoads” game in Rare Replay to unlock the first achievement “Do You Have Battletoads?” Rash should now be available in the character select screen of Killer Instinct.

Nice. That's a good little bonus for us Rare Replayers.

And Rash is definitely the best of the three.

I know KI has its craziness, but no one else finds the addition of Rash just a Little too much? I'm not complaining, it's just that if I had a choice it would be someone slightly more serious

I have to disagree. The game has never been serious and he fits perfectly.

Sydle

It is a bit jarring at first. His final appearance will probably be something closer to the rest of the cast. Most importantly, he's fun.

I love how they continue to show they're listening to the community for feedback, because a Battletoad character has been a reoccurring conversation on the Ultra Combo forums for a long time. I'm going to assume Eyedol is in, because he comes up even more than the Battletoads.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Seems PERFECT to me tbh. I actually was asking the dev team for this back in season 1! Battletoads x Killer Instinct is so bodaciously 90's.

Nephtes

I get Rash's autocombo for mashing punch or kick being a throwback to the 90's beat'em up... But ugh I don't like it's implementation in KI at all.

Additionally, I feel he needs more than one opener ... Or another linker besides the ram move.

mdsfx

I have to disagree. The game has never been serious and he fits perfectly.
Maybe it's just the contrast of characters for me that's an issue. Hisako vs Rash? Lol it's almost like this game can't choose what it's wants to be. BUT, again, I love it and although he's quirky, I look forward to trying him out.

The Flash

Banned
The only thing that I'll say about Rash's inclusion is that it's at an appropriate level of silly for KI. Banjo or Conker would be too silly. It would be hilarious but too much.

Lol.

1-2 guest characters a season would be great.

Can't wait to see General RAAM!

vg260

Yeah, I was trying to articulate what I thought about the difference earlier, but it was tricky, and probably comes off as nit-picky, admittedly. I feel like the game originally had kind of an ironically serious thing going, like they knew how far-fetched all the characters were, but still treated it as if it were serious, and opposed to be unabashedly wacky.

Something similar to what I'm talking about would be Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie. I'm a huge Maiden fan, and grew up loving all the Eddie incarnations thinking they were legit badass. As I got older, I kinda grew out of it, but came back because the music was so good, but now love the Eddie concept even more because it's obvious they know what a silly concept he is, but embrace the concept as if it's serious business. I kinda felt like KI had a similar mindset originally, and with some of the new characters (I love Kan-Ra) and this strays from that a bit. Dunno if that makes sense.
(on a related note, Eddie would be my dream character in a fighting game)

Naked Lunch

I literally bust out laughing when i first picked Rash and he says "im gonna crash this party" before fighting Fulgore. Completely surreal.

AlStrong

About the whole Master Chief/guest characters discussion, here's some pieces of concept art from an ex-Rare contractors portfolio. Chief in KI has been thought about before if these are anything to go by.

...that Fulgore though
I'd like to think that it's Nicole judging by the Halo 2 era Mk VI

Apathy

Lol I love the crazy characters they keep adding. The only BT game I ever played add the original, i still don't know the differences between then and I don't care. Let's see more wild and crazy stuff out of killer instincts

Subitai

So, this is the first step in MS turning KI into its mascot fighter.

In addition to what has been mentioned so far, I would like:

- Brute Chieftain w/ hammer
- Edgar from Phantom Dust
- Seth and Sarah from Lost Odyssey
- Brutus from Brute Force

vg260

So, this is the first step in MS turning KI into its mascot fighter

I don't think so, at least I hope it doesn't become let's throw all our other IPs into it. A seasonal guest character is fine, but KI needs to to have its own identity and have "mascots" emerge from within, not the other way around.

Sponge

Banned
I don't think so, at least I hope it doesn't become let's throw all our other IPs into it. A seasonal guest character is fine, but KI needs to to have its own identity and have "mascots" emerge from within, not the other way around.

Agreed. KI should never become the Xbox smash bros or whatever. It's a great fighting game series by itself and can hold it's name just fine. I think seasonal guest characters would be fine though. They should not go overboard with it. I do however, hope one day I can have Chief vs Fulgore be a reality.

Top Bottom