• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

El Topo

Alright, can someone explain these third party win conditions to me:

- if a third party achieves his/her win conditions, does that automatically end the game with that person as the winner, or does he/she win in addition to the normal winning team?
- Does the third party role still have to survive until the end, or can he/she just withdraw from the game completely after achieving the win condition?

That depends on the role. In the Star Wars game someone won and just left the game, which went on without him.

Palmer_v1

So actually, I had a question to ask from Palmer, that I was going to ask this ingame-morning, but then Ezekiel happened and the topic changed to different stuff so I didn't have time to really get back to it until now.

It's about the yesterday, where he tells us multiple times, that he is just a normal drone, and not a power role or anything else. I mentioned this yesterday shortly, but I wanted to go into bit more detail. Examples of the phenomena I'm describing:

So the question I have is why did you remind us of this fact so many times? In my eyes it's an anti-town move to make in general. If you really are town, telling everyone out loud you are a drone will give mafia and one person shorter list of who to target if they want to kill power roles during night.

At the same time, if you are mafia, you have all the reasons to tell everyone this, since people seem to be expecting that mafia could kill you. If you make this claim as mafia, you can use it as a reason later on why mafia hasn't targeted you at all at nights.

What I'm trying to say here is that making these claims has no advantage to the town as whole, so it makes me bit more concerned about you more. So yeah Palmer, why wouldn't I suspect you because of these postings?

I'm just starting the game selfishly. The claims might keep me alive, true or not. Whether me being alive is beneficial to town or not is debatable. Another counterpoint is that I've previously been a lightning rod for ability use and I would prefer to avoid that for once. I feel like town is more likely to get burned than Mafia are. This is also something I would say if I were Mafia.

The reality is everybody should probably be claiming Ordinary Drone. I would say not to even hint at a power role, but this is me, and I've dropped major hints about my role in the two previous games on Day1, so YMMV.

roytheone

Can you explain why you ended up voting for Vis?

It was something like 6-5 for vis, and I really didn't want a tie. I would rather voted for tiger, but that would just increase the chance for a tie, so I decided to avoid risk and make sure there wasn't a tie by voting for the one currently in the lead.

Ourobolus

Banned
The reality is everybody should probably be claiming Ordinary Drone. I would say not to even hint at a power role, but this is me, and I've dropped major hints about my role in the two previous games on Day1, so YMMV.

Really
Are you sure
I don't believe it
No way!
Don't lie to me
Oh yeah, bring it
Come at me bro

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Thoughts on the HP:

1) Everyone (myself included) seems to be assuming that the HP knows that their power is to kill Archer, which may not have been the case. Their role could have just said something like "you have the power to seduce victims" but not mentioned that their role was the only one that could kill Archer. Right? I don't know if this would be helpful knowledge if it were true since Archer's existence and the conditions of his role have been made public, but I figured I'd share it.

2) On the question of why the HP doesn't make all the mafia's kills, Palmer's points about the possibility of a Watcher or Tracker targeting the HP makes sense, but I also thought about something else. A "honeypot" (not in game, in "real life" or whatever) seduces their target. So, they actually interact with their target while a normal killer does not. Therefore, it could also be the case that whoever the honeypot targets becomes aware of their identity, and therefore if their targeting were blocked then their target would know who they are. Again, just a thought, pure conjecture, I don't even know if it would be helpful knowledge if it were true but it occurred to me so I figured I'd share it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
FAKE EDIT: ^^^ those two points kind of tie together (ie the HP's role description could have made them aware that their identity would be revealed in the event of an unsuccessful target, which would help explain why the HP doesn't make all of the mafia's kills)

squidyj

Alright, can someone explain these third party win conditions to me:

- if a third party achieves his/her win conditions, does that automatically end the game with that person as the winner, or does he/she win in addition to the normal winning team?
- Does the third party role still have to survive until the end, or can he/she just withdraw from the game completely after achieving the win condition?

Third party wins, but the game continues, even if they die they still won their game. They can tell knock knock jokes for the rest of the game for all it matters (please don't tell knock knock jokes all game after you win)

cabot

Oh, so it's daytime again? Cool. Anyways, my computer's hard drive is dead, so I don't have access to my browser with the GAF multi-quote extension currently, so I can't really reply to everyone, but, briefly:

- My suspicions about squidyj have been re-heightened after he led the charge to get our doctor lynched during the previous day. First-day lynches are the worst; they're almost always a townsperson due to probabilities and lack of information. I almost wouldn't have voted at all if people hadn't been pressuring me... but anyways it's the second day now, so now we have more to go on, so I should be okay voting today, once I can post from a non-mobile browser... (don't want to risk breaking the tags due to the lack of a preview post option...)
- If EzekelRAGE's role claim is true, then I'm sorry for voting for him yesterday.
- So apparently self-voting is allowed? Cool, I might vote for myself then; this game might be more than I can handle...

Eh...this post from cooljeanius is putting too much behind squidyj lynching the doctor. The last point is also worrying, makes me think he's not mafia but that attitude isn't the greatest sign of being helpful to town.

squidyj

Do you guys think that septimus is just weak? I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a mafia between him and Zubz. He did all that weird rules stuff yesterday.

cabot

Thoughts on the HP:

1) Everyone (myself included) seems to be assuming that the HP knows that their power is to kill Archer, which may not have been the case. Their role could have just said something like "you have the power to seduce victims" but not mentioned that their role was the only one that could kill Archer. Right? I don't know if this would be helpful knowledge if it were true since Archer's existence and the conditions of his role have been made public, but I figured I'd share it.

2) On the question of why the HP doesn't make all the mafia's kills, Palmer's points about the possibility of a Watcher or Tracker targeting the HP makes sense, but I also thought about something else. A "honeypot" (not in game, in "real life" or whatever) seduces their target. So, they actually interact with their target while a normal killer does not. Therefore, it could also be the case that whoever the honeypot targets becomes aware of their identity, and therefore if their targeting were blocked then their target would know who they are. Again, just a thought, pure conjecture, I don't even know if it would be helpful knowledge if it were true but it occurred to me so I figured I'd share it.

Good points.

1) It's possible it was generalised, but unless there's another thorn in the rose, I don't think that would stop Mafia from using HP unless they were that worried about a tracker.

2) This is also interesting, but I don't think it's worth thinking about unless anything else comes up which, let's be honest, will most likely be on the HP's death bed with a role PM.

I think it's between caution on the Mafia's end with regards to using the HP, or there's some sort of limit on the HP's ability (limited use?).

Either way I'm trying to not think it was a simple mistake like I did this morning.

squidyj

It's also entirely possible that mafia has another role with special night kills that they want to take advantage of. Even if they know archer is out there they don't really want to go hunting for archer, what can he do? They want to get rid of power roles that can actually impact their ability to win the game, investigative roles etc. If there's another role they have that makes this safer or more effective then they might decide to use that role to make kills and risk the chance of hitting archer by accident.

El Topo

It's also entirely possible that mafia has another role with special night kills that they want to take advantage of. Even if they know archer is out there they don't really want to go hunting for archer, what can he do? They want to get rid of power roles that can actually impact their ability to win the game, investigative roles etc. If there's another role they have that makes this safer or more effective then they might decide to use that role to make kills and risk the chance of hitting archer by accident.

Well, how would such a role look like?

Zubz

Banned
Do you guys think that septimus is just weak? I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a mafia between him and Zubz. He did all that weird rules stuff yesterday.

What do you mean by "weak?" The only thing I've noticed about Septimus is that he seems to have become inactive. I honestly would've forgotten about him if you didn't keep claiming that he, Palmer, and I were in the KGB.

roytheone

Third party wins, but the game continues, even if they die they still won their game. They can tell knock knock jokes for the rest of the game for all it matters (please don't tell knock knock jokes all game after you win)

Ah, makes sense, would be super risky to have the possibility that a 20+ person game group would have to wait months because their game ended incredibly soon.

Also (and I am preemptively super sorry about this):

knock, knock

Who's there?

Nod

Nod who?

Nod thing to worry about because I am not a neutral role.

Again, I am VERY sorry about this.

cabot

VOTE: Septimus Prime

Where you at, playa?

I want to know all your inner most deeper thoughts on what has transpired today.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm just starting the game selfishly. The claims might keep me alive, true or not. Whether me being alive is beneficial to town or not is debatable. Another counterpoint is that I've previously been a lightning rod for ability use and I would prefer to avoid that for once. I feel like town is more likely to get burned than Mafia are. This is also something I would say if I were Mafia.

Alright, I see. I mostly disagree with some of your claims (for instance I think best towny thing to do is not to claim absolutely anything at this point at least directly), so I will keep watching you, but at the same time I kind of understand some of your points too.

Palmer_v1

Alright, I see. I mostly disagree with some of your claims (for instance I think best towny thing to do is not to claim absolutely anything at this point at least directly), so I will keep watching you, but at the same time I kind of understand some of your points too.

No worries. I appreciate the opportunity to explain myself.

El Topo

Phew. That took some time. Went through all the posts since the night ended (before this one). Won't do that again. Will give a list later.

VOTE: Septimus Prime

Where you at, playa?

I want to know all your inner most deeper thoughts on what has transpired today.
I'm at work.

I did post earlier that I think Ezekel's reveal makes sense right now, though, since if the KGB did try to assassinate him and failed, with the Doctor already out of play, they should immediately know that he is being protected by some power. Personally, I would have waited a tad longer to see if they would try pushing for a lynch, too, at which time it becomes pretty obvious who they are. Nonetheless, it's too late for that now, though.

I am also suspicious of squidyj, which is why I voted for him. I have a few other suspicions about other players, but these are just gut feelings, which I will keep to myself for now, since I don't want to influence voting on just a bit of information. I also want to try to get one person out at a time, so I don't want to diffuse interest in my suspects for anyone who does value my opinion.

squidyj

What do you mean by "weak?" The only thing I've noticed about Septimus is that he seems to have become inactive. I honestly would've forgotten about him if you didn't keep claiming that he, Palmer, and I were in the KGB.

this post is kind of suspicious, I mentioned Palmer once and then clarified what I was talking about for Hobohodo. Then I suggested you were mafia and didn't really mention septimus until now.

Now you want to push the narrative that I've been repeatedly claiming that you palmer and septimus are all mafia together.

Your arguments against my reads as well have been.... bizarre, you criticized them for being made up flavour (whatever that means) when other people have been generally convinced.

At the same time your suspicion of me didn't stop you from helping me advance my agenda with respect to VisualAnte

squidyj

I'm at work.

I did post earlier that I think Ezekel's reveal makes sense right now, though, since if the KGB did try to assassinate him and failed, with the Doctor already out of play, they should immediately know that he is being protected by some power. Personally, I would have waited a tad longer to see if they would try pushing for a lynch, too, at which time it becomes pretty obvious who they are. Nonetheless, it's too late for that now, though.

I am also suspicious of squidyj, which is why I voted for him. I have a few other suspicions about other players, but these are just gut feelings, which I will keep to myself for now, since I don't want to influence voting on just a bit of information. I also want to try to get one person out at a time, so I don't want to diffuse interest in my suspects for anyone who does value my opinion.

I don't think I'm okay with you playing things so close to the vest, I want to see that you're paying attention to the game and generating reads on more than one player at a time.

El Topo

Iwillneverdothatagainweposttoomuch said:
Palmer - 46
cabbeh - 44
EzekelRAGE - 43
Seath - 33
El Topo - 31
roytheone - 21
squidyj - 20
Zubz - 17
Haly - 15
YesNOnoNOYes - 14
Burbeting - 13
Darryl - 12
Hobohodo - 8
Mazre- 8
Arkos - 7
Mike_Hawk689 - 5
QuantumBro - 4
Razmos - 4
Enker - 3
Septimus Prime - 3
TheGoddamn - 2
cooljeanius- 1

A list, potentially erroneous since done by hand, of posts since the night ended. I excluded the posts of miserable sea creatures, lewd bears and our boss. Keep in mind that some people have a job or might live in a different time zone. Nonetheless I hope that information will be helpful.

roytheone

Phew. That took some time. Went through all the posts since the night ended (before this one). Won't do that again. Will give a list later.

I'm curious el topo: what did you think about seaths little squid trap?

Also, welcome awesomepossum! I hope you are indeed awesome! (And indeed a possum, possums are cool as shit).

El Topo

I'm curious el topo: what did you think about seaths little squid trap?

Eh, could you be so kind to point me to the post please? I just counted all that stuff, don't really want to look for a post. Either way, I am convinced Seath is neutral, even if I don't know whether to believe his actual role.

cabot

I'm at work.

I'm keeping my vote on you for now, because keeping information to yourself is dodgy behaviour.

roytheone

Eh, could you be so kind to point me to the post please? I just counted all that stuff, don't really want to look for a post. Either way, I am convinced Seath is neutral, even if I don't know whether to believe his actual role.

Post #1339, where he admits his role claim was a lie to see how squid would react.

El Topo

Post #1339, where he admits his role claim was a lie to see how squid would react.

Interesting. I'm convinced he is neutral though, due to a small mistake (or rather slip of tongue) in one of his posts. That said, for all we know he might be a serial killer. If we have a doctor, similar to the very first Gafia game, we might also have another Karkador.

Burbeting

Banned
Welcome AwesomePossum.

Just for psa, I might not be able to use my laptop for tomorrow, so I'll have to post using mobile which is a drag for multi-quoting. I might not be able to post as long posts as I would want to tomorrow.

I would hope that more silent people would come and give us their insights about stuff that has been happening today. For instance Enker hasn't posyed anything after Seath and his sheaningans happened, and even his notes about Ezekiel were kind of short.

I don't think I'm okay with you playing things so close to the vest, I want to see that you're paying attention to the game and generating reads on more than one player at a time.
I'm keeping my vote on you for now, because keeping information to yourself is dodgy behaviour.
That's fair, and I will share when I have some evidence. Right now, I have nothing other than some feelings, which are subject to change.

Just got caught up, I'll post my thoughts in a few hours when I get off work.

So Ouro's redone list (thanks, boss!) shows only Quantumbro switched off visualante, but went back on again.

Obviously some of us already have questionmarks over Questionbro, but nothing particularly telling there.

I think I found my new username.

roytheone

Interesting. I'm convinced he is neutral though, due to a small mistake (or rather slip of tongue) in one of his posts. That said, for all we know he might be a serial killer. If we have a doctor, similar to the very first Gafia game, we might also have another Karkador.

Would you mind showing me that post?

El Topo

I checked* whether the word 'unaligned' was used in previous mafia games (Original Game + SW Game), but they used the term 'neutral'. I don't know, but I thought it was interesting.

*Sorry for the meta-game analysis.

Mazre

What I said:

A honeypot is a generic term for someone who uses seduction to flip an asset from one side to another often through blackmail. As far as why KGB might not have used them N1? As others have said, either a misplay or perhaps an abundance of caution. Perhaps killing Archer isn't the honeypots only function, perhaps they didn't want to risk the honeypot being detected prior to discovering Archer, perhaps targeting someone other than Archer is dangerous for the honeypot.

What you read (emphasis mine)

- Suspicious of Mazre now because he suggested something like the 'Honeypot' having limited abilities with regards to night kill. So there's already this tremendously powerful town role, and the counter ability to it is severly gimped in its use? Another logic leap in addition to the two mentioned in my first point.

It's going to be awfully hard to have discussions if anything speculative I say is cause for concern. Especially when I'm outlining multiple possibilities which may or may not be mutually exclusive.

Mazre

The only problem with everyone claiming drone is it's essentially the same as nobody claiming which ultimately just throws us back to square one. Unless there's cause the best policy is just to keep a lid on your role, regular, power, or other.

Mazre

I distrust El Topo and Mazre the most. 30%. I still intend to most concrete thoughts on them later.

I welcome your scrutiny sir, though I admit to being a bit surprised by it. Did we possibly miscommunicate earlier? Hopefully we can sort this out.

Top Bottom