• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microtransactions coming to destiny

noshten

Microtransactions in a full-priced game are always a negative for me,but at least here it seems to be handled with some responsibility, especially considering many aspects of Destiny in its first year. Cosmetic only is nice.

I though Destiny was like buying three full priced games ?

Sai-kun

Banned
As long as it's stupid stuff like emotes and not really cool shit like emblems and ships (and God forbid, armor/weapons), I'm alright with that.

Well I came in expecting micro transactions on things like engrams so I'm relieved to hear it's only on emotes. Doesn't bother me.

fritzo

Surprisingly different people have different opinions on microtransactions, we're not a hive mind ;)

Yes. Thank you. I keep seeing people's various opinions about MTs and its not like they are going away. People will buy them if presented to them. They've always been optional right. If someone wants to spend money on cosmetics or time savers, then let em. It's their money.

RowdyReverb

I was wondering how they would keep up their pace of DLC releases while working on the sequel. I guess smaller, MT-funded packages would make sense from that perspective.

This is much better that than fragmenting the user base just for tiny $5 DLC

Walpurgis

Banned
ok

ill still play

im not mad about optional hats or whatever

Yeah, sure. Cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me at all.

lol it's just hats

I can't really get angry about glorified smileys costing people money. I don't need my character to dance, I just need her to snipe stuff in the face real good.

There is literally nothing wrong with this. It's just dances.

Is it only emotes? If that's the case, then who gives a shit?

Haha. This is what I said about Uncharted 3.

"Just hats", that's how it always starts.

hawk2025

No, but this is what 343 is doing.

You can buy req packs, and this helps fund making DLC maps (FOR FREEEEEE)

"helps fund" means nothing within the context of massive, multi-million dollar games. It's a different way to maximize profits, and that's all.

That goes for Destiny, and that goes for Halo 5.

It's about picking the optimal pricing structure, not finding a way to "fund" expansion content. And if eventually this leads to an even better pricing structure where they can also monetize something that does affect gameplay beyond map packs, they'll do it if people pay for it.

Haha. This is what I said about Uncharted 3.

"Just hats", that's how it always starts.

...true.

Truant

I have no problem with people paying for dances and emotes. It will make the final 20 seconds of any strike more interesting, at least.

I'm split on the whole "free DLC" issue. On one hand, free is great. On the other hand, I'm worried that the quality of the new content will suffer from the lack of a proper budget. I know DLC 1 and 2 wasn't really that great, but TTK was a huge step in the right direction. If that's the level of quality we can expect going forward, then I'd happily pay 20-30 bucks for the bigger DLCs. In a perfect world we'll get the same quality content for free, paid by the microtransactions.

FyreWulff

So when is it okay to have MTs in a $60 game? It seems some if not most people are okay with MTs in Destiny now? At launch would they have been upset about it, like peeps were with MGSVs MTs (which turned out to be barely there). I don't get what is the right way and wrong way to do microtransactions?

When it's not just to make a timer go faster.

You are literally just paying for emotes, not a cap or cooldown removal, which funds other aspects of the game. Emotes are completely optional and have zero in game benefit.

I REALLY want to see cosmetic armor items that can be bought from the store, because the system they have now would work great with that.

I can buy a sick looking titan mark from their store that has an armor rating of like 0 or 5. BUT, since I regularly raid, I can then take the armor I had to raid for and infuse the item I bought up to raid standards. Those who don't raid won't have that option to raise it that high, but can use their blue items from strikes/crucible and raise it that way as well.

In short, you can buy cool armor for the looks, but use the items you had to play for as infusion fuel.

If they sell a cosmetic armor that goes with the titan space suit helmet I can finally be the astronaut guardian I always wanted to be

I wouldn't be surprised if they male it F2P one day and just charge for certain armor and weapons, or maybe male the sequel like that.

CREMSteve

Everyone saying they are ok with this because it's just emotes... This is very much a gateway to bigger and badder things. Not a fan of this at all.

Caja 117

I have no problem with people paying for dances and emotes. It will make the final 20 seconds of any strike more interesting, at least.

I'm split on the whole "free DLC" issue. On one hand, free is great. On the other hand, I'm worried that the quality of the new content will suffer from the lack of a proper budget. I know DLC 1 and 2 wasn't really that great, but TTK was a huge step in the right direction. If that's the level of quality we can expect going forward, then I'd happily pay 20-30 bucks for the bigger DLCs. In a perfect world we'll get the same quality content for free, paid by the microtransactions.

See Hawks post before you, is not really about funding to make this content, rather finding a price structure.

It was only a matter of time. Everything about this game looks tailor made to support all kinds of purchases.

And this is year two. It'll be amazing to see how this game shapes up in year three, four and beyond.

Selling visual customizations like these are totally fine in my book, but the game itself has been very expensive for those who buy in with each release. Would be good to balance out these kinds of offers with quality free content between DLC drops, and less splitting of the community with map packs and restrictive daily and weekly playlists (for non-DLC buyers).

And while we're noting that none of these offerings are game-changing, lets not forget that Destiny and its loot and RPG systems are not designed for true balance, but to provide advantages to those players who acquire the best loot. I wouldn't be surprised to see game altering purchases to come down the line at some point in the 10 year plan.

Apparently future content is going to be free(i.e the smaller expansions), being supplemented by these microtransactions.

http://kotaku.com/sources-destiny-will-get-paid-cosmetic-dlc-and-free-ne-1734800399
Now this would be awesome.

SwolBro

Banned
lmao, wow. how much more will some of you take?

Maybe I'm just old, but i can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay for meta.

E92 M3

100% in Destiny is all I play and will support Bungie. This is definitely being used to subsidize the future like GTA v.

Tigress

I can easily rant against most microtransactions (you can find a few of mine in my history on this forum even) but customizations that don't affect gameplay at all are the one area that I don't mind if they do. That won't encourage them to make the game grindy to encourage you to feel like you need to pay to get past the grind. Those are microtransactions I feel truly are just an option that won't encourage bad game design.

(and I also don't even play Destiny but this thread caught my eye cause usually I am ready to point out the evils of MTs. As I agreed with some one else today in another thread, even if you don't care about the game you shouldn't stay silent if it is doing something you dislike cause it's too late when it comes to the games you like).

Honestly, at this point I would rather encourage them do this as I feel as much as I hate them MTs seem to be inevitable. I'd at least like to encourage companies to use them in ways like this that at least won't encourage the developers to also alter the game in a bad way to encourage more MT purchases.

ZangBa

lmao, wow. how much more will some of you take?

Maybe I'm just old, but i can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay for meta.

The way I see it, the only reason anyone puts up with this shitty game is because it's the only truly decent cooperative experience on consoles right now. It's the only reason I still play.

SwolBro

Banned
The way I see it, the only reason anyone puts up with this shitty game is because it's the only truly decent cooperative experience on consoles right now. It's the only reason I still play.
really? did they at least update it so you can matchmake those raids that you previously couldn't?

sorry, i owned the game for like 2 months then sold it.

Troy

Banned
Good for them. I'll buy a couple if they look alright. As long as it's all just cosmetic items what's the big deal? This game has saved me a ton of money over the past year because now I don't really buy anything else. Normally I would have bought the Uncharted Collection but now fuck sixty dollars for old games with the online mode stripped away.

Top Bottom