• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokyo Ghoul: re - 48
Wasn't expecting Tsukiyama to fight against Kaneki on his own volition. That's a welcome change.

Really liking Matsumae, I hope she survives.

Yen Press announcements

Scumbug Loser by Mikoto Yamaguchi
Corpse Party: Blood Covered, by Makoto Kendouin, Toshimi Shinomiya
Space Dandy manga, by Masafumi Harada, Sun-Woo Park, RED ICE
Dimension W, by Yuji Iwahara
Unhappy Go Lucky, by Cotoji
Overlord
Boy and the Beast

LN
Psycome, by Mizuki Mizushiro, illustrations by Namanie.
Overlord by Kugane Maruyama, Illustrations by so-Bin.
Boy and the Beast by Mamoru Hosoda

OPM 53 (Jump Special 3)

lol I knew Saitama's group would be comprised of OP people... and lol at it being video games

Fubuki is overly enjoying this (she is mad desperate for Saitama to be her underling)

mdubs

Banned
I made an OT for Platinum End in anticipation of the simulpup.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122676

Platinum End chapter 0

That artwork, that mood. I like that Obata's more realistic style is back.

1462168338865272976.png

kewlmyc

Yen Press announcements

Overlord
Boy and the Beast

LN

None of those are the Chaika LNs. ;_;

Kodansha USA needs to get the fuck out of this market if they don't want to release any series here. Space Dandy manga and another shitty AoT spinoff? Fuck off.

Yen Press announcements

Overlord
Boy and the Beast

LN

after ax and sakuracon's blast of amazing licenses, I'm ok this stuff doesn't interest me as much

will probably check out the overlord ln though

after ax and sakuracon's blast of amazing licenses, I'm ok this stuff doesn't interest me as much

will probably check out the overlord ln though
Yen press I am accepting of, small company and they did their job last con by taking risks in accounting Yowamushi Pedal and others. I have no respect for Kodansha USA.

mdubs

Banned
Yen press I am accepting of, small company and they did their job last con by taking risks in accounting Yowamushi Pedal and others. I have no respect for Kodansha USA.

Yen Press is an imprint of Hachette, making them much bigger than Kodansha in terms of resources. Kodansha has something like 10 employees irrc.

I'm disappointed too because there are so many Kodansha titles (Baby Steps :( ) I think should be licensed but I'd rather we avoid the unsustainability which caused the crash before and understand why they are being conservative.

Negima ~189

Fate is a glorious bastard and the set up for this new arc is really exciting. Its amazing that at one point I found this a zzz series as its been just balls to the wall fantastic since like chapter 15.

Yen Press is an imprint of Hachette, making them much bigger than Kodansha in terms of resources. Kodansha has something like 10 employees irrc.

I'm disappointed too because there are so many Kodansha titles (Baby Steps :( ) I think should be licensed but I'd rather we avoid the unsustainability which caused the crash before and understand why they are being conservative.

of course its easy to feel that kodansha is being too conservative when they only really announced three new titles and one of them is yet another AoT title ~_~

phaze

Attack on Titan 74

You had one job Levi.

Nisekoi 189
Surely there is no coming back to status-quo from this ? Even Marika already accepted that she lost.

Tokyo Ghoul :re 48

Ihei seems to have gotten too much spotlight in this arc to just go out like that. And she didn't even got a sappy flashback the same way lips or nutcracker did. Clearly alive !

Hope we'll get to see Ui's SS quinque in action. Noro seems like a perfect occasion to put it to good use.

Marche90

Negima ~189

Fate is a glorious bastard and the set up for this new arc is really exciting. Its amazing that at one point I found this a zzz series as its been just balls to the wall fantastic since like chapter 15.

Those first chapters are the result of Executive Meddling. Akamatsu wanted to make a Shonen, his editors another Harem series. They took the bait, and honestly I'm glad they fell for it.

If only the final chapters were so awesome...

DAMN YOU, KODANSHA! ;_;

Those first chapters are the result of Executive Meddling. Akamatsu wanted to make a Shonen, his editors another Harem series. They took the bait, and honestly I'm glad they fell for it.

If only the final chapters were so awesome...

DAMN YOU, KODANSHA! ;_;

Yeah I know the history, its just hard to get over that first lump

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Life is tough when you have to juggle the affections of an older robot barista and that of your loli childhood friend.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Negima ~189

Executive meddeling did the series dirty on the bookends, everything in between is great. My favorite character in the series is coming up, I wonder if you can spot it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yuki wa Jigoku ni Ochiru no Ka 1-13

This is the new series from the mangaka of Kaichou wa Maid-sama. I'm still not a fan of her art, really, but just like before, you get used to it after a while. Anyway, I definitely wasn't expecting this kind of story from her. Rather than Maid-sama, it's more like Kamisama Hajimemashita or even Inuyasha in terms of ancient lineage backstory and destroying evil spirits. There's some intrigue with the infected arm, the other self stuff, and the machinations of that one girl (I really want to know what her end game is). Unlike in Maid-sama, which was pretty declarative, the romance here is a little muddled, but it gets pretty direct in later chapters. There's also more nudity in this than I was expecting given Maid-sama, but it's played for laughs a lot of times. The leads annoyed the shit out of me initially, but they grow on you eventually. Well, the female lead does at least, even if she's not hypercompetent like Misaki was made out to be in Maid-sama. The male lead is still kind of a douche bag at this point.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about the story. The romance is alright, but I'm not invested in the main couple much (it's too bad Akira has already lost). The side pairing is kind of interesting, if only because I like the girl's archetype.

Negima ~222

Haha 222 was the best chapter, Negi and Fate arguing about tea vs coffee, I always love scenes where two characters who are ready to violently murder each other have a bizarre civilized discussion at a table. Course Fate being a collosal douche pushed Negi over the edge. This battle is gonna be fucking amazing so hyped.

Arabesque

Negima ~222

Haha 222 was the best chapter, Negi and Fate arguing about tea vs coffee, I always love scenes where two characters who are ready to violently murder each other have a bizarre civilized discussion at a table. Course Fate being a collosal douche pushed Negi over the edge. This battle is gonna be fucking amazing so hyped.

That's an interesting thing to be a fan of lol

The upcoming fight is pretty good, and also important to where certain characters roles are going to change permanently.

Quasar

Yen Press announcements

Overlord
Boy and the Beast

LN

First set of yen announcements in a while where there was nothing of interest to me.

Lain

Innocent volume 5

Marie on the cover is pretty good. Marie in the actual volume is pretty amazing while her own story is quite... demoralizing, both because of what happened to her when she was 9 years old and what she constantly faces even after becoming an executioner.

I'm not surprised at the crude events depicted and as usual, the imagery used to show some of those events is really on point: the serpent and the doll, for example.
The way men threat Marie in general is quite sickening. The aides that put nails on the floor, the nobles that try to kill her hiding behind masks, her own father.
I can't blame her for finding men to be sickening/disgusting in general, though it saddened me a bit to see her say the same about her brother after the last few pages. Though, on the other hand, that woman riding Charles seem to have awoken the beast, going by the last page.

I also liked the parallel between the two Marie: the future queen and the executioner. Their standing is different but in both cases they are seen as objects, as tools. It's depressing but it's also interesting, especially in the case of Marie Sanson, to see how they face their life.

Marche90

17-sai Degree Celsius 1 to 5 (END)

Oh, look, a short (5 chapters) manga!
This was the second manga that came up from a still ongoing search that I'm making to find new mangas that are rarely mentioned, and I'm going in pretty much blind for all of them, a rarity, since I always end up reading impressions at least before diving it. This time I'm only reading the sinopsis for each of them. If the sinopsis doesn't sound interesting I'm not picking them up, but I'm giving them a chance if it doesn't have one only if the series is complete or if it hasn't been completely abandoned (its last update needs to be from less than six months ago)
Anyway, impressions proper.
The MC is a dude in a light music club, playing the bass because the current head of the band didn't wanted him to play the guitar, but didn't wanted to quit. One day, a transfer student with a bad attitude comes into his class, and due to various reasons they end up slowly bonding over the course of the 5 chapters. This was the highlight of the series for me.
The finale of the series wasn't so bad either, and it normally would be considered a decent one: my peeves comes mostly in the shape of purposely leaving out some details that I would have loved to have detailed at the end, rather than doing something something bad per se.
I liked the art, even if it was somewhat simplistic. In the end, if you have an hour to spare you could do worse by reading this.

A girls 1 to 15 (END)

This was actually the first manga that came out from my search, but I have a very good reason to leave it for last. To be honest, I didn't liked it that much, but since it was so short I ended up reading all chapters while hoping that it would pick up, but needless to say, it didn't.
The starting premise isn't so bad. The MC is an orphan who has always lived in an island which has always kept a minimum number of inhabitants, which includes one of her childhood friends. The only strange thing from his point of view is that he's always having visions of another life. At the end of the first chapter he's told that they found his parents and is sent to live with them without too many explanations. Here's where things start to go downhill. Along the road and after we have finally dealt with the spy that was sent to limit the moves of the MC and ends up falling in love with him for who knows what reason, we find out that all of the children were "artificial twins", being essentially cloned at the same time as their real counterparts, and they were all subjects in an experiment which is never really explained why it was carried out, or anything surrounding it. Something else that is never explained is why the hell did the cloned characters had visions of their originals other than to add a plot device. The last chapter of the series isn't really all that satisfying, but at least it has closure in terms of character relationships.
Line art wasn't so bad, but the detailed B/W and colored drawings were kind of bad. The way the author drew the lips of all the characters is mostly to blame for this
Overall, a time waster. Not utterly terrible to force me to drop it, but not something I would recommend

Amaama to Inazuma 1-2

I really wanted to read this one, because the first two chapters were grabbing me, but somehow the only chapters available after this are chapters 26 and 27. I had to cry and leave them in hopes that someone picks up the missing chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom