• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Or Kojima can retire at 52.

raven777

_2015_10_20_17_13_16_sksof.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's until December, right?

So right now they say he's on 'vacation' when in fact it's just a freeze on him from doing anything.

And lol at the tinfoil conspiracy that Kojima sat on chapter 3 for years and didn't finish it on purpose.

Well the article says it ends in Dec. so during this period he can't join any game studio. And since Konami is also involved in stuffs like anime, trading card, slot machine etc that will mean he (most probably) cant join any anime/trading card/slot machine etc company too.

I have such non-compete clause in my current work contract too, and my non-compete clause runs for a year.

Bl@de

Well the article says it ends in Dec. so during this period he can't join any game studio. And since Konami is also involved in stuffs like anime, trading card, slot machine etc that will mean he (most probably) cant join any anime/trading card/slot machine etc company too.

I have such non-compete clause in my current work contract too, and my non-compete clause runs for a year.

Wouldn't matter if he starts making movies though^^

Your move Netflix

ekim

You are not allowed to work at competitors.

But december is pretty short. companies must be talking to him.

It's a contractual agreement whereby you can't work in the same industry during the length of the contract. So for example, Kojima could work in movies or whatever during the contract but would not be able to work on games because it's in the same industry.

Its a clause that forbids Kojima to work in company that competes with Konami directly. In other words, he can't work in any game studio (Capcom, SE, Koei etc) right after he leaves Konami until the clause expire.

Its a very standard clause for many jobs.

Thanks guys. :)
Didn't know the English term for that. Now I do.

I wouldn't be surprised if companies fight over him. I could definitely see MS and Sony being very interested.

Solidino

Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

now we'll have a canonic Metal Gear, with a team of villains and boss and cutscenes and backtracking, cool characters, cool dialogues, cool ending, cool everthing!!!

Bye Bye trolling guy, keep posting on twitter stuffs you brought, food you eaten and things like that, maybe now the time has come to open that toy shop you wanted to open time ago.

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

There's no more room for you in the Saga, thank goodness!!!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
if kojima got picked up by sony and had his own studio with a blank check, i would cry tears of joy.

my reaction would mirror the ps4 $399 price tag reveal.

ekim

Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

now we'll have a canonic Metal Gear, with a team of villains and boss and cutscenes and backtracking, cool characters, cool dialogues, cool ending, cool everthing!!!

Bye Bye trolling guy, keep posting on twitter stuffs you brought, food you eaten and things like that, maybe now the time has come to open that toy shop you wanted to open time ago.

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

Don't know if serious. If so...
011510_salt_lead_604x372-thumb-604x372.jpg

Lernaean

Banned
Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

You mean the saga he built?
That's one weird ass post...

Solidino

sorry guys, i'm a fan like you (the avatar speaks itself)
but this Phantom Pain is really a shame for the entire Saga.
The Gameplay is GOD, is awesom, is fantastic but the narrative, the dialogues, the character are meh. :(

Only toughts from a disappointed guy, it's not Vangelo.

Wellthereitis.gif

Of course Konami are just trying to keep thingss quiet. Can't let that stock price fall perhaps.

Please Netflix, don't throw your money away for a
bad Storyteller with a huge boner for patriotism!

I mean, have you ever played MGS before? Jesus.

Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

Are you purposefully dense or just trolling?

Edit: Well you clarified it's MGS V. You made it sound like the entire series has been a dumpster truck on fire

StaSeb

What do you think where Kojima-San will go from here?

My dream is Capcom. Imagine E3 2016. With a weird and wounderful Teaser that clearly is Resident Evil, but a bit more strange and abstract than before. And then, right at the end: Directed by Hideo Kojima. Boom. Megaton!

Solidino

Are you purposefully dense or just trolling?
Edit: Well you clarified it's MGS V. You made it sound like the entire series has been a dumpster truck on fire

You mean the saga he built?
That's one weird ass post...

no no guys, i'm disappointed for TPP, for the "missing link part" of the game and for the dialogues, characters, ending and so on (just like i said, the gameplay is GOD!!)

The other MG are good, awesome!!! (specialy MGS-MGS2-MGS3, of course there was Fukushima on the script....)

bjork

My dream is Capcom. Imagine E3 2016. With a weird and wounderful Teaser that clearly is Resident Evil, but a bit more strange and abstract than before. And then, right at the end: Directed by Hideo Kojima. Boom. Megaton!

They barely make games any more either.

There can only be one proper destination.

Sonic Team.

I haven't finished MGSV yet, but based on how many people are saying the ending is disappointing, I'm really disappointed to hear the saga is ending on a sour note.

In fact, I'm finding MGSV disappointing in a lot of ways. The engine is fantastic, but the long length of the game combined with it's lack of variety is making it somewhat repetitive. The plot is by far the weakest of any MGS game, as it completely takes a backseat. And no David Hayter is a huge deal, especially since it's the last in the series; it's shitty that he didn't get to see it through to the end.

Oh, and I'm well aware that Konami could make more MG games without Hideo Kojima, but without him (and the director of the Fox Engine, not to mention David Hayter), as far as I'm concerned, any future games are "spinoffs". The main saga is over.

Lernaean

Banned
sorry guys, i'm a fan like you (the avatar speaks itself)
but this Phantom Pain is really a shame for the entire Saga.
The Gameplay is GOD, is awesom, is fantastic but the narrative, the dialogues, the character are meh. :(

Only toughts from a disappointed guy, it's not Vangelo.

Sorry, it's still a weird ass post, and the avatar doesn't mean much.
Except the fact that the gameplay is a few million miles ahead of all the previous parts, and the fact that the cheesy dialogue, or rather the lack of it, is better in TPP, the story is as good or bad as in most entries. Unfortunately not all entries are as good as 3, I don't even think it could be possible, but trashing a perfectly fine game cause it didn't meet your outlandish expectations has made GAF (and i suppose other forums too) a very unpleasant place the last few weeks.

Finally it's over!!!

giphy.gif

TOY SHOP HAS COME TO!!!

Totally! Say, we should find some Castlevania and Silent Hill fans! They can tell us how awesome Konami made their series when they fired the original staff of those games!
Help us get psyched up for the bright future of Metal Gear!

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member

TACTICAL SURVIVAL HORROR ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Solidino

Sorry, it's still a weird ass post, and the avatar doesn't mean much.
Except the fact that the gameplay is a few million miles ahead of all the previous parts, and the fact that the cheesy dialogue, or rather the lack of it, is better in TPP, the story is as good or bad as in most entries. Unfortunately not all entries are as good as 3, I don't even think it could be possible, but trashing a perfectly fine game cause it didn't meet your outlandish expectations has made GAF (and i suppose other forums too) a very unpleasant place the last few weeks.

i love the saga with all my heart, like all of you, but this game has disappointed me too much.(mean the plot). That's all.

ekim

I think every major publisher would build him his own studio if he wishes so. Everything is possible but the most sense makes Sony imho.

eso76

i believe Konami will have the right to get the authority to investigate if they suspect this happens.

Nothing keeps him from *thinking really hard* about his next game, though
Or writing the story, or writing down gameplay mechanics and ideas etc

Which is all he has to do, anyway.

Lernaean

Banned
Nothing keeps him from *thinking really hard* about his next game, though
Or writing the story, or writing down gameplay mechanics and ideas etc

Which is all he has to do, anyway.

Exactly. People getting together and brainstorming can't be stopped or monitored.
I would be scared if he had started working on a new one so soon anyway.

eso76

Exactly. People getting together and brainstorming can't be stopped or monitored.
I would be scared if he had started working on a new one so soon anyway.

I am pretty sure people like Kojima have tons of never-developed games in their heads.
He just needs to pick one and focus on fine mechanics.

Heck, I have at least 20 game concepts in my head. And they are all awesome.

Haunted

So what happens to all these developers with a bunch of experience in big-budget production and asset creation when Konami no longer serves that market outside of the PES team.

Mass exodus of talent incoming?

Golnei

So what happens to all these developers with a bunch of experience in big-budget production and asset creation when Konami no longer serves that market outside of the PES team.

More meat for the Konami staff grinder, I assume - those pachislot machines aren't going to assemble themselves. Even if Kojima does secure a very favourable deal that gives him his own studio out of the gate, there's no way he'd be able to relocate his entire team.

I hope they'd all be able to leave and find work with other developers which would adequately use their talent, but with the Japanese industry in its current state, they might opt to stay just for the stability.

60fps, 4k res, HD quality textured pachinko machines.

Top Bottom