• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney [Mafia] |OT| Turnabout Scum

Xam, I hope you realize that this incredibly passionate indictment is going to reflect very badly on you if Star flips town.

If you're that sure, though...

You seem to forget that if I were scum I wouldn't have to ask publicly.
Asking publicly helps paint a more Town picture of yourself, which is good for Scum.
It's also nice to see Town insights as a result of the question and use that to change/improve your performance in future games.

You know what, fuck it.

There's a theory that was getting kicked around earlier, that me claiming fits, even if it's a bit too perfect to be true.

I'm The Judge.

My role power is Jailer. Yeah.

Some of you might remember this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197047826&postcount=1483

That was me trying to hint that Xam had not been jailed. I knew the Jailer role roleblocks, obviously. I was being cagey because I didn't want to die but I still had to get that information out somehow. I used my power on Scrafty both nights. Also, Apparently people can still have non-killing roles used on them, hence Scrafty getting a gift. I wasn't sure if Xam was scum or not, and so I was hesitant to protect him. Also, if he wasn't scum and got role blocked, he wouldn't have gotten a read. So I crossed my fingers and hoped that there was another role running around that could protect him for me. Clearly, something happened.

Believe me or not. It's going to come out anyway when I get lynched later so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have some questions.
Do you know if the person you jailed gets attacked?
Does the jailee know they were jailed?
Do you have any sort of private chat ability?
Why did you care so much about the Neutral on D1?
And for the time being
Unvote

SalvaPot

I sincerely hope Jailor is not our only protecting role, because otherwise we are pretty much screwed.

I like the fact that non-killing roles bypass the jailor protection, since that pretty much means Xam was not protected by a jailor type of role, so now the fact that he is alive means there was a switcher or he was not a target. But that still not explains why he was not able to get the gift.

I sincerely hope Jailor is not our only protecting role, because otherwise we are pretty much screwed.

I like the fact that non-killing roles bypass the jailor protection, since that pretty much means Xam was not protected by a jailor type of role, so now the fact that he is alive means there was a switcher or he was not a target. But that still not explains why he was not able to get the gift.
I am fairly certain I was not targeted by Scum for a kill tonight. I wonder if Bowlie killed Riorius last night, the Neutral killed Bowlie, and Scum tried to target Scrafty again.

I have some questions.
Do you know if the person you jailed gets attacked?
Does the jailee know they were jailed?
Do you have any sort of private chat ability?
Why did you care so much about the Neutral on D1?
And for the time being
Unvote

No to the first 3. As for the neutral thing, I already established why I brought that up. I thought it was a good starting point for some conversation. I was also under the assumption that it was a non-survivor /self removing Neutral. Though, "Why did you care so much about the neutral" implies I went on and on about it, and I only made like...1 post?

And now you see why I was so cagey about it earlier.

OH GOD THE PUNS
Also, is there a potential synergy between you and CornB in being able to stop his item flow?

...100% unintended.

I don't think so, because I was markedly confused when Scrafty started talking about items and I had to check my role PM again.

Unless this isn't the question you're asking.

SalvaPot

No to the first 3. As for the neutral thing, I already established why I brought that up. I thought it was a good starting point for some conversation. I was also under the assumption that it was a non-survivor /self removing Neutral. Though, "Why did you care so much about the neutral" implies I went on and on about it, and I only made like...1 post?

And now you see why I was so cagey about it earlier.

Yeah, the main problem is that chances are you can't protect yourself, meanwhile other players can be protected by you. That means that your only hope is that there is another protector role that can keep your back. But the problem is, that scum will target you in the night for sure. If you die, it pretty much means there is no protector (Or the protector did not care enough to save you), if you don't die, then scum confirms they have another protecting role they have to care about.

Also Phoenix was our watcher (Well, one of his three abilities), and I find it really unlikely we have a second one, so scum has nothing to fear about been watched.

...100% unintended.

I don't think so, because I was markedly confused when Scrafty started talking about items and I had to check my role PM again.

Unless this isn't the question you're asking.
It's not the question I mean
CornB was talking about how he HAS to give an item out every night, and that he runs the risk of giving it to a scum or neutral. However, you can roleblock him to stop it from spreading, persay.
Do you know if your roleblock extends to the use of items, or is it not that complex?

It's not the question I mean
CornB was talking about how he HAS to give an item out every night, and that he runs the risk of giving it to a scum or neutral. However, you can roleblock him to stop it from spreading, persay.
Do you know if your roleblock extends to the use of items, or is it not that complex?

Probably, yeah.

I prevent a person from using their role and from being targeted by kill abilities. They aren't notified if I do this. I'm not notified if someone targeted the person I used it on. Non killing abilities can be used on people I jail.

SalvaPot

I prevent a person from using their role and from being targeted by kill abilities. They aren't notified if I do this. I'm not notified if someone targeted the person I used it on. Non killing abilities can be used on people I jail.

Hmm but that also means that there is no way for people to know if you are saying the truth or not about your role. No notifications of any kind means no proof, only your word, and the fact that non killing abilities can go through like they are nothing is weird, sounds more like a doctor than a jailor, the only thing that makes your role similar to a jailor is that you roleblock your target while protecting it.

squidyj

and this is what you understood from your role pm?

and this is what you understood from your role pm?

Me not getting notified is speculation, so far I haven't gotten any thing back aside from action confirmation. The non Killing role thing is not blatantly said, but it specifies protection from killing roles, and Scrafty still got her thing.

Hmm but that also means that there is no way for people to know if you are saying the truth or not about your role. No notifications of any kind means no proof, only your word, and the fact that non killing abilities can go through like they are nothing is weird, sounds more like a doctor than a jailor, the only thing that makes your role similar to a jailor is that you roleblock your target while protecting it.
Well, yeah. Not really much I can do about that.

Well the PM says Jailer so...

*court mandated post to show that im still here*

Stars jailor roleclaim certainly fits, but feel so unsubstantiated at it could so easily be just a really good lie, she certainly had the time to come up with it.
still feels very suspicious.

Zubz and Godamn, both of you are feeling suspicious of me due to my obvious inactivity, all i can say on that is i dont get much time to really get in here and even catch up, let alone come up with anything new too add to the discussion.
i made this pretty clear at the start of the game and it really hasnt changed.
if you have any questions or more substantial suspicious about me i would be happy to address them.

RedFalco

Its fairly simple really, me and Star are the most suspicious and that is not going to change, and I would vote for her to save myself, since I know my role and I don't know hers. But you guys have nothing on me and nothing on her, that is a simple fact. All is speculation and metagaming. You are just going to force either of us or both to claim when the night is about to end, and I guess that could be helpful, so yeah, go for it.
I would say that unless one has a role that explicitly states that another player is scum/town the majority of a Mafia game is based off of speculation and connections one makes based off people's posts and (re)actions.
To say that we have nothing on you would be untrue. Perhaps not you you but definitely your predecessors. We all know about QB's suspicious post about wanting to follow Scrafty which he kept trying to defend.
Then there's Drago who said "He(QB) made one early, baseless post that could and did draw suspicion, but he never came back to expand upon or explain why he did what he did..." Here. Plus I also point out to him that what he just said is not true. QB did come back and try to defend himself
I confronted him about it and he said "Yeah I totally missed those posts, I don't have an excuse for that. I was too hasty to post what I posted." Sure, the possibility that he was hasty and didn't see those posts is certainly possible, but its not like he was gonna say something to incriminate himself more. But right there, whether purposely or not, he lied.
Then there's my theory which I previously posted where perhaps TWE and Drago tried to start the ball rolling to try and get Hipster Cthulhu lynched.

There is something that concerns me and that is how sure you are that me and Star are working together, it seems to me that you are trying to build a narrative that will have two players lynched on consecutive nights.
I'm not 100% sure, obviously. I just stated my opinion and wanted to see reactions. StarSketch didn't even respond while you became quite jumpy. As for me building a narrative to get you guys lynched consecutively I don't think its true. I'm just stating my opinions based off of what I read and know now. If and when we learn more info(either through people talking, the lynch's result, the night actions) then I'll adjust my opinions and suspicions accordingly. If suspicion still falls on StarSketch or you then I will certainly consider voting for either one of you. If the new info dimishes my suspicion of either one of you/ I become more suspicious of someone else at the moment/something clears you guys as Town then I will place my vote elsewhere.
What would you do if I flip town? Would that exonerate Star of your suspicious? And what if I flip scum? Would that automatically make Star scum too?
If you flip town, no, that wouldn't automatically exonerate Star, we'd have to also judge Star based on her own actions and posts.
Again, no, if you flip scum that also wouldn't 100% guarantee she's scum. But again we would certainly have to look at her posts and see the type of connections she's made with you and TWE.
You used a word, tunneling. I have been guilty of this before and the problem is that you stop considering options where you might be wrong. It seems reasonable that me and Star are scum, but is that the only option?
Yeah, I specifically prefaced my opinions and theory with that to clarify that I have been looking at QB/Drago/you most closely than anyone else and that perhaps there was some bias to it plus I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt(because again you got replaced) and see how you'd react to my opinion(hence why I didn't vote for you on my theory post).
No, that's not the only option. It could be 1 scum & 1 town. 1 scum & 1 neutral. 2 scum. 2 town(I personally doubt it).
If you think that the answer is a definitive 100% Yes, then vote for any of us, and be sure to convince Xam to inspect the surviving one.
I don't think the answer is a "definitive 100% Yes"(as stated above). but I still feel like I have the right to vote for either of you. Especially for you when you state the latter. Why would I convince Xam to inspect the surviving one? It's already been stated that it's not good to openly state the one individual whom Xam should check, especially when there's the possibility that there could be a Scum switcher. If they exist, they could switch Xam's stated target with a confirmed Townie like Scrafty and thus Xam would be presented with a green check, taking away suspicion from the initial target. To me, for you to say that is scummy, that you'd want me to push Xam to choose the target and that you'd want the specific target to be stated out in the open.

Then there's also the fact that you call Scrafty's vote "safe". Safe would be if Scrafty had voted for StarSketch since she's already high up there with votes.
You say that she should look for others because suspicion has already been casted upon you but why would she vote for someone who she'd have even less suspicion about and more of a probability of being wrong? Is it because you're trying to last a few more days while she's off looking elsewhere? Since according to you we can just come back and lynch you later, but perhaps at that point it might be too late to do so and we may have already lost valuable players.
You have 2 more days to try to get other players to talk, you know, why are you so eager in having any of us lynched?
How am I eager? I just wanted to voice my opinions and see what you and the others thought about them. I didn't even vote, specifically because I want everyone to talk and so that we get more information as the day progresses. Why aren't you calling everyone else that has already voted for StarSketch eager?
If I was eager to end the day and prevent people from talking I would've voted for StarSketch and urged others to do the same.
But with the reaction to my post(plus what your predecessors have done and stated) I feel like I can place my vote:

Vote: SalvaPot

Go ahead and call it eagerness if you want, but I feel that I've backed my vote with concise thought and not just on a whim.

Do you know something we don't?
Is this question to force me to potentially role claim? So that if you do die at least Mafia will know if I'm a powerful townie or not, and if I were to be then they would have a good target to kill?
Again, I don't know if Star is scum or not, but to me her actions seem like that of an wrongly accused town player so far. Yours seem like a scum or neutral trying to get town to waste a day and a night. And that would only be if you know you lose nothing getting both of us out.
She could have been wrongly accused. The possibility of being innocent is definitely there. She could also be a neutral. Today she's been awfully rambly, it could obviously be because she's nervous about having so many votes on her, but she certainly does resemble TWE during his last minutes. And now she's role claimed, I'll have to google Jailer to see what it says. Of course, Sorian could've modified the role from any original roles but it's a good idea to get an basic understanding on Jailer. Her role does seem awfully specific and convenient though.

That is exactly my point, his theory is flawed and from my point of view, wrong. I think is more likely than either one of us is scum/neutral or that both of us are innocent. He is basing his whole theory in both of us working together, but as other have pointed out that is a silly assumption to make, since Star seems to be struggling by herself, and I am shaking the silly notion that QB wanted to follow Scrafty because he wanted to play it safe.
I explicitly stated that my theory, if true, of wanting to lynch Hipster Cthulhu was created by TWE and Drago
He votes for Hipster Cthulhu even though he says TWE's "the most suspicious player now". This post was also after all of TWE's weird gifs and posts. Why? Could it have been that TWE and Drago were working together to try and sway Town and lynch Hipster Cthulhu(TWE votes Hipster Cthulhu after this, backs up my theory but it certainly is also very risky for scum to do this so close to each other but TWE was certainly desperate at this point) instead of TWE and added the mistrust of TWE at the end of the post just in case their plan didn't work and he could fall back on that? As he does below.
If StarSketch had also voted for Hipster Cthulhu then yeah I could've added her directly to the theory but that never happened. My direct suspicions of her were stated in my last post.

roytheone

Caught up, some things:

-3 killing roles in a 21 player main season game would be ridiculous. I seriously doubt that is the case. Honestly, I am already very surprised we have two double kill nights in a row, that is already a lot for a 21 player game.

-Re-reading TWE his win condition, it specifically mentions that they need to be 50 % of the player count, NOT 50 % of the votes like normally. It is pretty clear that that is related to Ezekel his power, which tells me two things: 1) his power isn't as useful as originally thought, it can't prevent a scum win directly, and 2) it is even less likely to be a scum power, since if it WAS a scum power, they could get a vote majority without having a player majority, which would make a scum win unavoidable but the game will not end yet. That would be weird.

- I agree with Crimson that TWE being modkilled doesn't mean that he really copied something, else we could just go: "wait, he didn't got modkilled for it, so it HAS to be fake!" and Sorian would have basically confirmed the claim to be fake by not modkilling him. Which would be dumb.

About Starsketch:

I am not convinced about the role claim. The thing that strikes me as odd is that she was confused when Scrafty still got her little present, even though she later says her role PM clearly states it protects from killing roles specifically. Apparently she misread that part of her role the first time she read her PM? That's a weird thing to miss. Jailor is also a pretty good role to fake claim as scum, since it is useful and could exist, but isn't as common that you are certain to get counter claimed. I am still pretty suspicious of her. However, if she is lying about her role, there are other ways to find that out then just lynching her:

No, there is a pretty easy way to check if she is speaking the truth. Ezekel has a role which night action results are completely in the open the next day, and it's not like him not being able to preform his night action one time would seriously hurt us. And yes, there is the risk scum could use their powers to fuck with this, but lynching her to find out if she is speaking the truth or not is a risk too.

One thing I am interested about though, and I could understand it if Cornbro/scrafty want to keep this a secret, but: Wouldn't starsketch jailing scrafty N2 have prevented her from using the item she got on N1? Are you comfortable telling us about this Scrafty?

Also, unrelated:
Also Phoenix was our watcher (Well, one of his three abilities), and I find it really unlikely we have a second one, so scum has nothing to fear about been watched.

Says the guy that put like 7 cops in his game ;)

I'll try and get some reads down before the end of the day.

At risk of setting off unnecessary alarm bells, I do have to agree with I forget who that a lot of the suspicions I'm seeing do seem to be people clinging to pretty innocuous things and just pounding them. The thread stinks a bit of horseflesh, particularly in regards to QB. Has anyone checked up on Epic Mafia current theory? Is his suggestion what is actually the go-to move for that community? If so, there is much ado about nothing haunting him and his predecessors. Gafia has their way of doing things but it isn't the only way, as much as I do disagree with QB's original suggestion. I honestly see the constant reference to it as a convenient alternative to finding someone who wants to no-lynch day 1 and trying to build a scum case off of it when it's really not a viable option in this community despite its advocates usually volleying the ball of it around d1 regardless of their alignment.

Recent other thoughts:
There seem to be a lot of killing roles in play.

Starsketch's claim seems very convenient, and so does the fact that Xam is still alive. No notifications seem a bit strange but it also seems a bit crazy to claim for actions that intuitively most of us will wonder about, like jailing Scrafty without preventing her receiving items. I like Salva's idea of testing it with Ezekiel. More thoughts in a bit.

roytheone

I'll try and get some reads down before the end of the day.

At risk of setting off unnecessary alarm bells, I do have to agree with I forget who that a lot of the suspicions I'm seeing do seem to be people clinging to pretty innocuous things and just pounding them. The thread stinks a bit of horseflesh, particularly in regards to QB. Has anyone checked up on Epic Mafia current theory? Is his suggestion what is actually the go-to move for that community? If so, there is much ado about nothing haunting him and his predecessors. Gafia has their way of doing things but it isn't the only way, as much as I do disagree with QB's original suggestion. I honestly see the constant reference to it as a convenient alternative to finding someone who wants to no-lynch day 1 and trying to build a scum case off of it when it's really not a viable option in this community despite its advocates usually volleying the ball of it around d1 regardless of their alignment.

Recent other thoughts:
There seem to be a lot of killing roles in play.

Starsketch's claim seems very convenient, and so does the fact that Xam is still alive. No notifications seem a bit strange but it also seems a bit crazy to claim for actions that intuitively most of us will wonder about, like jailing Scrafty without preventing her receiving items. I like Salva's idea of testing it with Ezekiel. More thoughts in a bit.

Honestly, I don't give a fuck about what they do and don't in Epic Mafia. I saw it as an attempt to get around having responsibility for the vote he did for that day, which is very scummy. If that is the way they play in epic mafia? Great, I don't care.

Also, the Ezekel idea was from me and not Salva. Why do people keep skipping me or crediting things from me to other people? It's Retro giving credit to Gorlak for MY awesome quote about Outer Gafia all over again :( I also just thought about the fact that this idea would probably open up Scrafty for being night killed. However, lynching Sketch and her flipping jailor would also do that.

You chose Scrafty because it is a somewhat logical and "safe" choice. If you had chosen someone else and they were a secret town PR you'd have been fucked.

But Scrafty presents the problem of having gotten an item from me. So you added "oh but it only impacts killing roles."

Honestly, I don't give a fuck about what they do and don't in Epic Mafia. I saw it as an attempt to get around having responsibility for the vote he did for that day, which is very scummy. If that is the way they play in epic mafia? Great, I don't care.

Also, the Ezekel idea was from me and not Salva. Why do people keep skipping me or crediting things from me to other people? It's Retro giving credit to Gorlak for MY awesome quote about Outer Gafia all over again :( I also just thought about the fact that this idea would probably open up Scrafty for being night killed. However, lynching Sketch and her flipping jailor would also do that.

If that's how they play there, it isn't really scummy as fuck though imo. It not only reasonably excuses his mentioning it, but explains why he defended it. It's not like theory evolves in ways meant to be anti-town. Of course, if it's not actually how they play there then he was lying and can be policy lynched.

Sorry about miscrediting the plan for SS though. I agree with Roy that could be useful if there are better lynch candidates. But actually now that you mention it, not sure if losing confirmed town would be worth confirming a jailor at the rate we're dropping. Especially when Sketch or Scrafty getting NK'd will prove it just as well.

To make sure I was clear, despite what I said, I guess I ultimately don't agree with taking theoretic jail protection off of Scrafty. Even if Sketch is lying we want confirmed town in the end game and scum has to let her live or lose Sketch the next day.

Additionally, Star, the idea of you not having a private chat with the person you jailed is very suspect, because we've already had a confirmed role that can instigate private chats.

Additionally, Star, the idea of you not having a private chat with the person you jailed is very suspect, because we've already had a confirmed role that can instigate private chats.

I've seen other variations on the role. In one game, jailor was just a standard role blocker

roytheone

This doesn't really matter that much. Just because we had one role that could create private chats, doesn't mean there has to be other roles that also do that.

If Scrafty tried to use the item last night, then she should at least know if she was role blocked.

It might be worth mentioning that the item Scrafty got is consumed automatically when certain conditions are met. So she can't verify being rolebloced by trying to use the item.

My problem with Star's roleclaim is that I just can't verify it and unfortunately, it doesn't change all of the specific things I found scummy about her before. Her defense essentially amounts to that single breadcrumb for her alleged role. The role itself sounds really useful, but I still read her as scum.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, and Scrafty is such an obvious target, I actually was expecting Mafia to NOT target her. On the other hand, she probably did get protected last night.

And this still doesn't explain why the other two died.

Well, yeah. Not really much I can do about that.

Well the PM says Jailer so...
What's up with this post from earlier, StarSketch? According to you, you protected Scrafty N1, so why speculate on if someone protected her or not? Also, if Scrafty was such an obvious target, why did you protect her?

Star's actions make sense enough. Protecting Xam would be pointless if you're going to roleblock him too. Scrafty is a confirmed townie with no night actions, so there's no downside to protecting her. If we treat the role as a doctor + rb then it's reasonable enough that an item could still be given, and the rb part resolves the issue of the doctor permanently protecting the cop.

I'd say that the role is plausible enough. The issue is that it's not verifiable.

And of course that it seems like there was something protecting Xam last night.
I don't think I was targeted for a kill last night.
I am 90% sure DeKiller tried to give me his calling card and it failed, because as of now everyone has checked in and no-one got a calling card N2. And if I was supposed to get the calling card, Scum wouldn't want to kill me that same night, otherwise they probably would have killed Roy N1.

I don't think I was targeted for a kill last night.
I am 90% sure DeKiller tried to give me his calling card and it failed, because as of now everyone has checked in and no-one got a calling card N2. And if I was supposed to get the calling card, Scum wouldn't want to kill me that same night, otherwise they probably would have killed Roy N1.

Assuming that DeKiller is scum and not neutral.

Also, it doesn't seem like the card has done anything yet, or at least Roy hasn't said that it's done anything.

Although I was mostly going by the fact that CB couldn't give an item to you, rather than the fact that you didn't die.

Star's actions make sense enough. Protecting Xam would be pointless if you're going to roleblock him too. Scrafty is a confirmed townie with no night actions, so there's no downside to protecting her. If we treat the role as a doctor + rb then it's reasonable enough that an item could still be given, and the rb part resolves the issue of the doctor permanently protecting the cop.

I'd say that the role is plausible enough. The issue is that it's not verifiable.

Going off of the Mafia wiki, it isn't unheard of for a jailer role to only prevent kills, not other actions. Obviously it doesn't necessarily mean that's what Sorian did with this game, but it's worth considering at least.

Ah, I see Roy already suggested having her block Zeke tonight. I have two issues with that plan:
1) that it tells scum who the doctor is going to be on.
2) if scum have a rb, they can fake it.

But as you say, if we lynch her then 1 isn't an issue anyway.

Ok, having read through more thoroughly, I'll go back through Star's other posts later to see if there's any direct contradictions.

I don't think we should lynch Star today. I believe that her role could exist, and it's not really one that it's a good idea to lose right now. I'm not going to object to having her protect Zeke to verify things, but I don't think that's necessarily going to work out.

So

Vote: flatearthpandas

Ah, I see Roy already suggested having her block Zeke tonight. I have two issues with that plan:
1) that it tells scum who the doctor is going to be on.
2) if scum have a rb, they can fake it.

But as you say, if we lynch her then 1 isn't an issue anyway.

I think we can and should find a better target. As I said before, if this is a scum gambit, it requires Scrafty to live for it to work. So we get the same benefit as her being a real jailor either way.

Top Bottom