• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

I'm in United states. If the game is coming out in Japan early I'd import it from there.

Create a JP account on PSN (lots of tutorials on the net), buy a Japanese PSN card from an online shop that sells it, buy the game on your JP account. It'll be available on your NA account when it's installed.

wiibomb

I'm in United states. If the game is coming out in Japan early I'd import it from there.

Some people suggested to use the Tenso service (google them).

They forward packages from Japan to US, although there might be some pages who ship directly from japan, for example Amiami, playasia or nin-nin-game.

Search for the best result.

KTallguy

Banned
I have it preordered.

I'm skipping through videos. So far it looks a bit samey... BUT I know there will be surprises, as usual. :)

silva1991

Create a JP account on PSN (lots of tutorials on the net), buy a Japanese PSN card from an online shop that sells it, buy the game on your JP account. It'll be available on your NA account when it's installed.

You think DS3 from JP PSN store comes with English text as well?

if that's the case I see no reason not to buy it from JP store.

This all just looks so damn good.

What do you guys recommend starting out with? Bloodborne was my first Souls experience and I loved it so I'm still pretty new to the series.

The knight setup with the spear looks like a good bet. Good range to land attacks.

You think DS3 from JP PSN store comes with English text as well?

if that's the case I see no reason not to buy it from JP store.

No, items and menus and stuff will be in Japanese. The voice acting will be in English like all the other Soulsborne games however.

What do you guys recommend starting out with? Bloodborne was my first Souls experience and I loved it so I'm still pretty new to the series.

The knight setup with the spear looks like a good bet. Good range to land attacks.

Deprived is the only answer.

silva1991

With spear, it's gonna be hard sometimes to hit some parts bosses/big enemies

a clash with long sword is imo better for beginners.

No, items and menus and stuff will be in Japanese. The voice acting will be in English like all the other Soulsborne games however.

Dang it, but then again I don't really read item descriptions anyways and I was planning on double dipping and get the PC version alter on so ... I'll think about it.

Gbraga

Choose whatever looks cool. You'll be pretty impressed at the vast amount of equipment in this game, since Bloodborne was your first. Your starting weapon won't be used for nearly as long as in Bloodborne.

Afrodium

Banned
I prefer a large interconnected world with warping unlocked late game a la Dark Souls, but if they're offering warping from the start then the sectioned off areas doesn't bother me. In Dark Souls II and Bloodborne I'd be warping back to the hubs constantly so most of the world's cohesion isn't appreciated anyway.

Mman235

The correct starting class choice is warrior because

u054RDJ.gif

s70c430.gif

ironcreed

Banned
A lot of it seems Bloodbornish in terms of environments. But Dark Souls with a little Bloodborne seeped into it will surely not be a bad thing. In fact, it might make it the best yet.

tcrunch

So for someone who had never imported a game, can someone tell me the easiest way to do it? Also, if I import it, can I still an English version? Can I do it digitally on ps4?

There is no version with English text releasing early. The NPCs will speak in English though.

[1] Make a Japanese PSN account - this video is a good walkthrough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWYQ_AdJANQ but be aware he sort of skips the step where you have to check your e-mail, basically when you get to a page with an e-mail icon you need to go to your e-mail and click the link to verify your account
[1B] Set your Japanese PSN account to primary for your PS4 (this will not remove primary status from your normal account, it just lets you play the games from one account on the other - it will tell you you cannot have 2 primaries, but it means you cannot have 1 account as primary on two different PS4s, multiple accounts per one PS4 is fine)
[2] Order the 5k and 3k yen PSN cards from play-asia (note this costs $80, not $60! the game itself is slightly over 7k yen so this is how you have to do it)
[3] Go to the Japanese PSN store and scroll to the second-to-last option and select that option to enter your PSN cards
[4] Find the Dark Souls 3 PSN page and preorder it, I found it under the main splash section, you should not have to search for it - try not to get discouraged when you have to click on different buttons each screen to find the confirmation button
[5] Currently preorders are estimated to start downloading on 3/21
[6] Game unlocks on 3/23 in the morning at least for US, even though Japan's release date is 3/24, due to time zone differences http://www.torpeden.se/DKSIII/JP/
[7] grats you're playing the game almost 3 weeks early but you probably won't know how to read any item descriptions or other text - you can understand the NPCs though!
[8] Write Bamco about how much you love delayed international releases

IMO You should go knight, the setup is ideal to get accostumed to the different combat approach from BB to souls.

Then start trying different weapons, armors and choose the one you like more. Unlike BB which you are suposed to "choose" one or two weapons of the bunch, Dark Souls has a more meety loot to play with.

A lot of it seems Bloodbornish in terms of environments. But Dark Souls with a little Bloodborne seeped into it will surely not be a bad thing. In fact, it might make it the best yet.

Watching the videos, this really looks like Demon, Dark Souls 1 + 2 and BB combined together.

SO HYPE.

ElFly

No, the menus and text will not be in english if you import the japanese version.

Mmm, I can deal with the menus, but I like the lore of the texts.

On the other hand I finished Demon and DS1 without knowing what the hell was going on and repeated playthroughs and reading on the internet made it clearer, and this could help this experience.

TEMPTING

I'm struggling to contain my hype levels for this. These videos make me want the game so much haha. Can't wait!! Vaati's video in particular is really good. Gonna be hard to choose a starting class

God damn, I think I'm spending over $200 for this game with the collectors edition of the game and the prima guide with the flask... Will be well spent!

TitusTroy

there needs to be a petition started so the PC release can match the Japan release :) ...3 weeks is too long to have to wait and avoid spoilers online

CHC

Light armor (for fast rolling), a shield with 100% block value, and a weapon with clean and predictable attacks. I like longswords / straight swords, but some prefer spears.

Knight isn't a bad choice, but if you're sort of new to the series, heavy armor tends to be a "trick" option.... as in, the protection it provides does not outbalance how much it slows down your rolling by.

(*disclaimer - not sure how rolling mechanics will be affected in DSIII, but this advice at least applies to all the other games.)

Neen

Neo Member
lhjhbB9.gif

Holy mamma. This will be my first Dark Souls experience and I'm very much looking forward to it. Bloodborne served as a nice introductory course but I'm very much looking forward to entering this world.

Holy shit. Did anyone read the
Faraam armor description
?

"It is mentioned in various legends, along with the names of those who have gone beyond death..."

Dark Soul 2 reference!

Buburibon

Yes, I am :')

Really hoping for short loading times! Not expecting too much, though, since I don't have an SSD, but at least faster than Bloodborne.

Any fairly decent 7200rpm HDD should do the trick. The CPU in your PC is probably much more capable than the PS4's, too. The two combined should keep loading times at a reasonable minimum in DS3.

I really want to know how much the Sovereignless Soul gives...why didn't anyone pick this as starting gift ? :/
I'll have to lose time on release date to find this out, if we don't know the answer before the 24th...

Gbraga

Any fairly decent 7200rpm HDD should do the trick. The CPU in your PC is probably much more capable than the PS4's, too. The two combined should keep loading times at a reasonable minimum in DS3.

I hope so! It makes sense, but in Bloodborne, even with an SSD the loading times are really long, so I'm assuming there's something messed up regarding loading times in their engine.

Palmer27

I haven't yet played Dark Souls (my next game before DS3), but I didn't feel that bad, in Bloodborne you still had to travel almost all the level because there are only 1 or max 2 lamps in the level.

I didn't feel that off, it just saved some inconvenient. Traveling that in any case could be all running and never facing an enemy.

The original Dark Souls has an incredible sense of going down and down and down thanks to the lack of warping until late game - I get where you're coming from though. Play it play it play it!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:lol. Vaati split his videos into parts, put a "Click here for part 2" annotation in the end of part 1 and it's a link to subscribe. Fuck that. Why not just an annotation that says "Subscribe to know right when part 2 goes up" or something.

Anyway, game looks fucking good, shame they had to go back to DeS/Bloodborne style warping, it's stupid as fuck.

I hope so! It makes sense, but in Bloodborne, even with an SSD the loading times are really long, so I'm assuming there's something messed up regarding loading times in their engine.

An SSD in a PS4 is limited by SATA2 speeds. I'd be surprised if loading times for DS3 PC are more than 5 seconds.

Jito

Banned
:lol. Vaati split his videos into parts, put a "Click here for part 2" annotation in the end of part 1 and it's a link to subscribe. Fuck that. Why not just an annotation that says "Subscribe to know right when part 2 goes up" or something.

Anyway, game looks fucking good, shame they had to go back to DeS/Bloodborne style warping, it's stupid as fuck.

I was wondering where part two was, what a scummy move.

Jombie

I saw that. What a douche.

This game looks more stable than Bloodborne when it comes to FPS? I didn't see any FPS drop when he was fighting the first boss.

Mifec

Man can't wait for this to come out OuO

Vaati is a pretty big scumbag, I stopped giving him clicks after the whole plagiarism debacle.

Top Bottom