• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/03/valve-teases-upcoming-half-life-release-for-mac/

150310-valvemac-lg.jpg

145949-valve_teaser_500.jpg

gregor7777 said:
Someone on the previous page said it didn't support the controller. Perhaps I should start downloading demos.

It definitely does, picked up and auto configured my 360 controller automatically and there's a menu dedicated to configuring controllers as well.

Doytch

Fox318 said:
My girlfriend would like that but how would it work with older games? Will future games be forced to work on mac and PC. It essentially splits the steam community.
I'm assuming Valve is just announcing that their stuff (presumably just Orange Box and maybe L4D) will be ported to Mac. Other pubs would be free to have Mac versions also.

Doytch said:
I'm assuming Valve is just announcing that their stuff (presumably just Orange Box and maybe L4D) will be ported to Mac. Other pubs would be free to have Mac versions also.

Obviously the bigger issue is releasing Steam on Mac. I have a gut feeling that with an outlet like Steam, more games would be supporting Mac in the future.

Doytch said:

Wonder if it requires a repurchase or not. If they're porting Source over anyway, I don't see why they'd leave out the L4D games, it'd just be leaving money on the table.

Those seem to imply that not just Steam, but the entire Valve catalog (or at least Source games) are headed to Mac as well. I think they ported Source for Postal 3 right?

Dream scenario: if you buy a game on Steam, you can download either or both the Mac or PC version of that game and tie them to one account. Thereby, Steam is the platform through which you play your games no matter what, making OS almost irrelevant. This would be a game-changing move, and people are unlikely to buy the same game twice anyway, but I doubt publishers would be on-board. I don''t know much about filetype compatibility, but with Steam Cloud, you could sync saves and servers and keyboard layouts seamlessly between Mac and PC.

Also, if you look at the Mac-ish nav, there are six pictures. We've only seen 3. So L4D could be there somewhere.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Fox318 said:
My girlfriend would like that but how would it work with older games? Will future games be forced to work on mac and PC. It essentially splits the steam community.
I would assume that if they included the store component on Mac it would be completely separate to the PC. I'm not expecting to be able to download portal on Mac because I already have it on my PC account for example.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
Wonder if it requires a repurchase or not. If they're porting Source over anyway, I don't see why they'd leave out the L4D games, it'd just be leaving money on the table.
Yeah I just said maybe because I've only seen Portal, TF2 and HL refs in those pics. From how Valve's acted as a company, I'd be really surprised if they made you repurchase.

Wonder if any third parties on the ball with this though.

panda21

the problem with mac is no directX, so it requires a whole new port of the game (and most people with macs have laptops/minis/imacs with shitty mobile video cards), and last i heard opengl wasn't close to keeping up with direct x feature wise any more.

Doytch

panda21 said:
the problem with mac is no directX, so it requires a whole new port of the game (and most people with macs have laptops/minis/imacs with shitty mobile video cards), and last i heard opengl wasn't close to keeping up with direct x feature wise any more.
Yeah...OGL has different priorities than DX, so that's why it's behind on gaming features. But a lot of games do get ported to Mac...I think EA is pretty good at putting them out, albeit a few months post-launch. Popcap has mac versions. Telltale is planning on porting to Mac.

panda21 said:

Isn't OpenGL 3.0 supposed to see some improvements in 10.6.3? If they require that version, they'd be shutting out a lot of the community, since according to some stats gathered a few months back, most people still use 10.5.

Doytch said:
Yeah...OGL has different priorities than DX, so that's why it's behind on gaming features. But a lot of games do get ported to Mac...I think EA is pretty good at putting them out, albeit a few months post-launch. Popcap has mac versions. Telltale is planning on porting to Mac.

It should be noted that EA don't actually port games to Mac anymore. Their Mac releases just run virtualised PC code.

OpenGL is definitely behind DirectX but then Source is hardly at the cutting edge either and is strictly a DirectX9 based engine, so its a non-issue.

As for the hardware issue, well Macs have been shipping with a 9400m as the absolute base minimum GPU for a couple years now, and that's more than enough to run Source games pretty decently. Source is more CPU bound than most engines anyway.

Firestorm said:
We've known a Mac version of Steam was coming since we saw the OSX files in the new UI update.

That was hardly confirmation, and certainly didn't suggest Valve's games would be making the transition as well.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
It should be noted that EA don't actually port games to Mac anymore. Their Mac releases just run virtualised PC code.

OpenGL is definitely behind DirectX but then Source is hardly at the cutting edge either and is strictly a DirectX9 based engine, so its a non-issue.
Interesting. When you say virtualised, do you mean it includes a user-space 'Windows' API like Wine/Codeweavers?
Valve humour > *

I always just assume Wolpaw is writing it but I'm probably short-changing some writers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
panda21 said:
I wonder if this is inadvertently good news for PS3 owners.

Chris R

I've only ever had issues trying to use a steam account on two different machines at the same time, so I'd love to have a steam account on my mac and be able to play a few games with NO issues. Sure I know not every game will work, but getting some titles working with only 10.5+ intel machines is probably a good idea.

epmode

Steam taking off on Macs can only mean good things for PC games.

If Apple actually puts up a decent fight, maybe Microsoft will stop taking a dump on the platform.

M3d10n

Big Chief Crazy Cone said:
Isn't OpenGL 3.0 supposed to see some improvements in 10.6.3? If they require that version, they'd be shutting out a lot of the community, since according to some stats gathered a few months back, most people still use 10.5.
There's still a few leftover DX9.0c features that don't have a proper OpenGL equivalent and it's all made worse by Apple's shitty drivers: several features past OpenGL 2.0 have implementation issues and their GLSL compiler is full of bugs. Some of which can take the entire system down, BTW.

M3d10n said:
There's still a few leftover DX9.0c features that don't have a proper OpenGL equivalent and it's all made worse by Apple's shitty drivers: several features past OpenGL 2.0 have implementation issues and their GLSL compiler is full of bugs. Some of which can take the entire system down, BTW.

And yet people wonder why it took so long for Valve to port their games to the Mac.........

diss said:
I'm bracing myself for epic disappointment in the form of a half assed Aspyr port of the Orange Box.

Realize that Valve isn't porting over their games like they did with the PS3, allowing an outside studio to do it. This is IN HOUSE.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We just announced Shatter for PC which will be released via Steam

----

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – March 3, 2010 – Sidhe, New Zealand's largest game production studio, today announced that award-winning its original title, Shatter® is coming to PC. Shatter PC will feature new PC-exclusive game modes including Endless Mode, Endless Co-op Multiplayer, Time Attack, and Time Attack Co-op Multiplayer.

Shatter PSN won IGN’s Best PlayStation Store Game of 2009, and the Best Downloadable Award at the Game Developers Association of Australia (GDAA) Game Developers Awards 2009. Now, PC gamers will have the opportunity to play the game, which will be available on Steam in the coming weeks and also feature Steam achievements and leaderboards.

“Bringing Shatter to new audiences has always been our goal,” said Mario Wynands, Managing Director of Sidhe. “Following the warm reception we received for the PlayStation 3 version, taking Shatter to PC on the Steam platform was a natural next step.”

About Shatter® for PC
Shatter is a retro-inspired brick-breaking game that merges familiar action with unique twists and a modern crafted production approach.

Key Features:

• Innovative controls, physics effects, power-ups, special attacks, and boss battles which combine to provide an experience that is always interactive.
  • Story Mode, Boss Rush, Bonus Mode, and all new game modes Endless Mode, Endless Co-op Multiplayer, Time Attack Mode and Time Attack Co-op Multiplayer
  • A Vibrant 3D Style presented across 10 distinct worlds in high resolution.
  • A fully scored soundtrack featuring over 90 minutes of award winning original music
  • Steam Leaderboards and Achievements for all modes

For more information on Shatter, visit: www.shattergame.com

----

Note for anybody with the PSN version looking to double dip for the new modes, we are planning to roll the new modes back into the PSN version.

celebi23

Damn, was going to make the Steam Mac topic & then saw this one. Anyhoo, here's the images with links to the original stories

Rock Paper Shot Gun said:
Oh, Valve: they’re playing us like a harp this week, and frankly we don’t mind a jot when it’s this much fun. While everyone’s busy nattering about the Portal 2 (OR IS IT?) ARG, they slip a little something extra into the RPS inbox. That’ll be the picture above, then. Which you’ll want to click on right away, in order to admire it in its full bigness. The instant response from all of us, aside from excited and grateful cooing noises, was “guh? But what does it mean?” We’re not very clever sometimes.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/03/valves-big-fat-hint-steam-for-macs/

steamteasebig1.jpg

MacRumors said:
MacRumors today received a teaser image from Valve appearing to show Gordon Freeman, protagonist of Valve's Half-Life video game series, with an Apple logo on his chest. The image was accompanied with the following explanation: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve."
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/03/valve-teases-upcoming-half-life-release-for-mac/

145949-valve_teaser_800.jpg

MacNN said:
Valve is indeed planning to port some of its most popular games to the Mac, confirms the developer's marketing VP, Doug Lombardi. A teaser image (seen below) makes reference to Apple's famous "Get a Mac" ads, and the characters of Mac and PC played by Justin Long and John Hodgman. Standing in their place are turrets from Portal and Team Fortress 2, implying that these will be two of the first games to be ported.
http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/03/03/teaser.hints.at.portal.team.fortress.2/

valvemac-lg.jpg

Shacknews said:
A mysterious image from developer Valve--the company behind hits like Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal and Team Fortress 2--just hit the Shacknews inbox: 04_Heavy_Sandvich.jpg
"In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve," was all we were told.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62617

14017_4b8ec2c778262.jpg

Euroggamer said:
Valve has sent Eurogamer a teaser image for something to do with Left 4 Dead.

Check it out below. It was accompanied by a note that said: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve."

The Apple-esque stamp in the top right, complete with "I hate different" tagline, suggests we may be seeing something Mac or iPhone-related.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/valve-teases-forthcoming-announcement

ss_preview_05_Francis.jpg.jpg

Macworld said:
A source at Valve shared the screenshot below with Macworld “in anticipation of an upcoming announcement,” and it couldn’t deliver this news to anxious Mac gamers in any better way. To make sure we’re all on the same page when reading this image: it depicts Alyx Vance, a key character in Half Life 2, reenacting Apple’s famous 1984 commercial by throwing a crowbar (the trademark weapon of Half Life protagonist Gordon Freeman) at series villain Dr. Breen (not to be confused with our own not-at-all-villainous Senior Editor).
http://www.macworld.com/article/146840/2010/03/valve_mac.html

146840-valve_half_life_1984_original.jpg

:D

This is huge news, if there were more than like 3 of us would-be Mac gamers on GAF I'd say it deserved its own thread. :D Source + Steam to Mac is hugely welcome news.

Still, Valve PR continues to be just absurd and awesome.

Mario said:
We just announced Shatter for PC which will be released via Steam

----

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – March 3, 2010 – Sidhe, New Zealand's largest game production studio, today announced that award-winning its original title, Shatter® is coming to PC. Shatter PC will feature new PC-exclusive game modes including Endless Mode, Endless Co-op Multiplayer, Time Attack, and Time Attack Co-op Multiplayer.

Shatter PSN won IGN’s Best PlayStation Store Game of 2009, and the Best Downloadable Award at the Game Developers Association of Australia (GDAA) Game Developers Awards 2009. Now, PC gamers will have the opportunity to play the game, which will be available on Steam in the coming weeks and also feature Steam achievements and leaderboards.

“Bringing Shatter to new audiences has always been our goal,” said Mario Wynands, Managing Director of Sidhe. “Following the warm reception we received for the PlayStation 3 version, taking Shatter to PC on the Steam platform was a natural next step.”

About Shatter® for PC
Shatter is a retro-inspired brick-breaking game that merges familiar action with unique twists and a modern crafted production approach.

Key Features:

• Innovative controls, physics effects, power-ups, special attacks, and boss battles which combine to provide an experience that is always interactive.
  • Story Mode, Boss Rush, Bonus Mode, and all new game modes Endless Mode, Endless Co-op Multiplayer, Time Attack Mode and Time Attack Co-op Multiplayer
  • A Vibrant 3D Style presented across 10 distinct worlds in high resolution.
  • A fully scored soundtrack featuring over 90 minutes of award winning original music
  • Steam Leaderboards and Achievements for all modes

For more information on Shatter, visit: www.shattergame.com

----

Note for anybody with the PSN version looking to double dip for the new modes, we are planning to roll the new modes back into the PSN version.

Cool. How many weeks away is 'in the coming weeks'?

My save for Defence grid are gone... :(

It suddenly started to download a patch for the game, after that my progress was gone.

I was on the last story mission aswell...

TRying to find the place it puts defence grids save files on my computer but am still waiting for window search to actually find anything. Such a slow pos. Maybe the wizard dude would have been faster then this stupid dog. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom