• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

TheOneGuy said:
Ironically having multiplayer in your game is one of the BEST ways to curb piracy, because it's much easier to STOP it when you control the online portion and people want to play it.
Exactly. I was interested in this before I heard about the no-multiplayer thing. SORRY SEGA
Google said:
I fucking hate people like you.

Read the quote, understand what's going on, and then re-read your post before pressing the fucking button.

We need less of this "FUCK YOU PUBLISHER, YOU FUCKING SUCK (because I was never going to buy your sonic kart racer anyway, but NOW I'M DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO BUY IT)!!!!!!"
What on earth are you talking about? Kart racers are all about mutiplayer. That's the entire point. You really don't understand why people would want to murder Sega for dropping the most important feature of the game?

Why are you taking this so personally, anyway? Breathe.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
TheOneGuy said:
How I feel too.

Ironically having multiplayer in your game is one of the BEST ways to curb piracy, because it's much easier to STOP it when you control the online portion and people want to play it.

To be fair, I wouldn't buy it anyway. I have no interest in cart racers unless they're super cheap or particularly unique.

C'est la vie.
Yeah not adding online because you are concerned with piracy is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Just as PC publishers are trying to add requirements for internet to single player games to curb piracy, Sega don't add MP because of piracy.

Acosta

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I might buy that bundle if I could exclude Space Giraffe. The XBL version is one of the worst excuses for a game I've ever endured. Llamashit aside, that is a pretty great deal.

Legendary bad taste, don't listen to him.

Google said:
I fucking hate people like you.

Read the quote, understand what's going on, and then re-read your post before pressing the fucking button.

We need less of this "FUCK YOU PUBLISHER, YOU FUCKING SUCK (because I was never going to buy your sonic kart racer anyway, but NOW I'M DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO BUY IT)!!!!!!"

Awww, everyone look. It's Angry Internet Man. :lol

I did read. I do understand. And here I am pressing the button again after writing this: publishers leaving out features that are important to me because of piracy concerns can fuck off.

Tone down the angry {snip}.

EDIT: removed an insult.

ChoklitReign said:
I have yet to finish an indie game that I thought, "Well that was worth it." Except for Audiosurf.
Really? Osmos? Braid? World of Goo? Toki Tori? Trials 2? Trine? Darwinia? Crayon Physics? Defense Grid?

I guess you only like massive budget AAA games.

Google said:
Because I'm fucking Sega.

(I'll leave it up to you to decide whether I'm fucking Sega, or whether I'm fucking Sega)

Pretty sure you're just a fucking idiot.

I'll let you decide whether you're a fucking idiot, or whether you're just fucking idiot.

I'm aware you can't technically fuck "idiot."

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TouchMyBox said:
Come on guys, aren't we far past the point where we have to point at missing features as an excuse to not buy a sonic game?
I pronounce this heated topic closed. *stamp of approval*

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Truth is we did look at online support, be it GFW or some other method,” Lycett said. “When we looked into the cost vs the projected sales, the two didn’t add up. So as a result the feature wasn’t added to the game. One of the main reasons is that on PC people will steal it rather than buy it

i think i might be dyslexic.

Google

LocoMrPollock said:
Pretty sure you're just a fucking idiot.

I'll let you decide whether you're a fucking idiot, or whether you're just fucking idiot.

I'm aware you can't technically fuck "idiot."

How I wish I could explore you post history to point out some embarrassing posts of yours.

Curses.

Lyphen said:
Honestly, I'd say this is understandable. I mean, look at Zero Gear. Going from 20K+ people playing the beta/demo, to less than 50 online after paid release. Don't think there's much of a market for PC kart games unless you're a Korean P2P studio. Don't know why they bothered porting anyway.

Because its the GOTY and SEGA racers should only ever be played at 60fps?

poppabk said:
Yeah not adding online because you are concerned with piracy is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Just as PC publishers are trying to add requirements for internet to single player games to curb piracy, Sega don't add MP because of piracy.

Online was excluded because SEGA wouldn't stump up the cash. SUMO wanted it in but SEGA wouldn't give them the budget for it. Its still the best version of the game, 60fps or bust.

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
Because its the GOTY and SEGA racers should only ever be played at 60fps?

Online was excluded because SEGA wouldn't stump up the cash. SUMO wanted it in but SEGA wouldn't give them the budget for it. Its still the best version of the game, 60fps or bust.
I can't tell if you're being saracastic or not. )':

I see FINALLY that uk steam has superstars racing on sale for £20, if they ever do a 50% sale I will nab it for the pc, playing the 360 version currently for the night and I like it so far, had some good races with sega1991.

Suairyu

Banned
Hah £20 for SEGA Allstars Racing. Wouldn't have minded paying this 'cept for the awesome prices elsewhere. Ended up ordering from HMV, £1 extra than Tesco (oh no!) but 24 hours shipping, as opposed to 4-5 working days. Getting a bunch of friends together for Sunday (or Monday if I've missed Friday's delivery) and jumping into four-player split-screen nirvana.

TheOneGuy said:
I can't tell if you're being saracastic or not. )':

Of course I'm serious, arcade SEGA racers are pretty much the best genre of games in existence and this follows that heritage extremely closely. Its the closest we're going to get to an Outrun 2 sequal, and yes, so far, its absolutely my GOTY.

So I bought Altitude, which other indie game should I pick up? (Backlog is too big to justify buying the whole pack). Space Giraffe looks fun but strange, kinda leaning towards that.

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
Of course I'm serious, arcade SEGA racers are pretty much the best genre of games in existence and this follows that heritage extremely closely. Its the closest we're going to get to an Outrun 2 sequal, and yes, so far, its absolutely my GOTY.
In that case: lolololol

TheOneGuy said:
In that case: lolololol

Well considering you seemingly haven't even played the game, how is my comment laughable? If you like stuff like Outrun 2, the original SMK or SEGA Rally then this game is going to feel like a real gift to you, if you don't like the genre then fine but for people that do its a fucking excellent game. Its pretty much the undisputed best kart racer around now, completely shitting all over Nintendo's last effort, and as the pinnacle of its genre of course people are going to be enthusiastic about it.

Fredescu

Lyphen said:
Honestly, I'd say this is understandable. I mean, look at Zero Gear. Going from 20K+ people playing the beta/demo, to less than 50 online after paid release. Don't think there's much of a market for PC kart games unless you're a Korean P2P studio. Don't know why they bothered porting anyway.
Zero Gear was complete shit though. I think there's plenty of scope for an online kart racer to do decently. I was going to get it day 1 until I heard about the lack of online.

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well considering you seemingly haven't even played the game, how is my comment laughable? If you like stuff like Outrun 2, the original SMK or SEGA Rally then this game is going to feel like a real gift to you, if you don't like the genre then fine but for people that do its a fucking excellent game. Its pretty much the undisputed best kart racer around now, completely shitting all over Nintendo's last effort, and as the pinnacle of its genre of course people are going to be enthusiastic about it.
Because multiplayer trumps graphics always.

Always.

I don't have to play a game to know this.

Also: being the "best kart racer" doesn't really mean much. It's not exactly a genre known for superior quality. They've always been party games. I like them. That doesn't make them the bastion of all that is good and right in the world.

TheOneGuy said:
Because multiplayer trumps graphics always.

Always.

I don't have to play a game to know this.

The 60fps framerate has a completely game changing effect on gameplay in a game like this. Its got nothing to do with graphics (though it sure looks pretty running at a nice clip), and the PC version supports 4 player splitscreen (at 60fps :D ) fwiw.

Fredescu said:
Zero Gear was complete shit though. I think there's plenty of scope for an online kart racer to do decently. I was going to get it day 1 until I heard about the lack of online.

I can second this. Zero Gear isn't even in the same league as Sumo's effort, I'd have happily paid £50 for an online PC version of this (yes, really).

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
The 60fps framerate has a completely game changing effect on gameplay in a game like this. Its got nothing to do with graphics (though it sure looks pretty running at a nice clip), and th
Of course it does! How couldn't it! 60fps is always better than 59fps! By that logic, a game that has been balanced for 30fps would suddenly break at 60fps, if it was truly "completely game changing." So how is the PC version best, then?

Splitscreen on a PC is hardly a convenient setup. There's a reason consoles dominate in this field.

EDIT: I don't really have enough investment in this to continue so if you just want to insult me and call it a day, I'm all for it. d:

TheOneGuy said:
Of course it does! How couldn't it! 60fps is always better than 59fps! By that logic, a game that has been balanced for 30fps would suddenly break at 60fps, if it was truly "completely game changing." So how is the PC version best, then?

Splitscreen on a PC is hardly a convenient setup. There's a reason consoles dominate in this field.

EDIT: I don't really have enough investment in this to continue so if you just want to insult me and call it a day, I'm all for it. d:

No, there's no such thing as "balancing" for 30fps, only compromising. I'm not a 60fps whore generally but for a game like this where the genre standard is 60fps, yes, of course I am. You think Street fighter, Outrun 2 and Virtua Fighter would play the same at 30fps? Really?

Splitscreen gaming is no less convenient on PC than it is on consoles, its completely down to your individual setup, me personally, I have my consoles and PC hooked up to the exact same displays, and all my wireless 360 controllers work on the game just the same as they do on a 360.

coopolon

JDSN said:
"And now I am torn. On one hand, the PC version of Just Cause 2 looks amazing. On the other hand, I really enjoy my couch. Decisions, decisions."

Shitaku

2.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JDSN said:
"And now I am torn. On one hand, the PC version of Just Cause 2 looks amazing. On the other hand, I really enjoy my couch. Decisions, decisions."

Shitaku
HDTV, DVI->HDMI cable, wireless controller, done. PC gaming on a comfy couch.

Make sure you try the demo for Bob Came in Pieces. It's a lot of fun, IMO. Kind of reminds me of Banjo Nuts n Bolts in that you have to design your vehicle to solve various puzzles. Picked it up for $2. The other games in the pack aren't my bag so I passed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom